23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1059166 times)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #1960 on: January 12, 2011, 06:34:13 PM »
Yes.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1962 on: January 12, 2011, 11:16:25 PM »
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #1963 on: January 13, 2011, 12:08:33 AM »
Hmmmmm.... about this "song rule" that the band had..... I think some of you are confused.  The "rule" was that, if someone brought in lyrics, it had to be structured and it had to have a melody.  That's not just the lyrics.  That's the song.  Everything else is just added parts and/ or arrangement of the song. 

So, the point: I can see why people say that Myung took a backseat in the writing process.  That's not a dig on him at all.  Portnoy even said that Myung chose to do so.  I remember reading an interview where Portnoy said just that.  So, what's the argument here?
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Deez

« Reply #1964 on: January 13, 2011, 12:57:44 AM »
I figured it out!

Dream Theater's new drummer is a super advanced Japanese Robot named "Mi-Kuh 2.0."  The reason they haven't announced is because they're still fine tuning several of the robots many double jointed arms and adjusting the speed settings to keep its feet in sync during blast beats.

I'm very psychic about these things, this cannot be disputed.

Offline tumbok

« Reply #1965 on: January 13, 2011, 01:01:10 AM »
Hmmmmm.... about this "song rule" that the band had..... I think some of you are confused.  The "rule" was that, if someone brought in lyrics, it had to be structured and it had to have a melody.  That's not just the lyrics.  That's the song.  Everything else is just added parts and/ or arrangement of the song. 

So, the point: I can see why people say that Myung took a backseat in the writing process.  That's not a dig on him at all.  Portnoy even said that Myung chose to do so.  I remember reading an interview where Portnoy said just that.  So, what's the argument here?

let's say like this:

if JMX puts a pen of lyrics in DT11, then it did just MP covered JMX from his creativity.

but, if DT11 is just another SC and BCSL, well i mean in the term of JMX's contribution, let's say MP was right to implement that lyrics rule. in other words, JMX has lost his eagerness to put his name as the lyricist in DT.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1966 on: January 13, 2011, 03:42:21 AM »
Uh, no it isn't. A vocal line is not a song, especially in DT's case, where the music is generally speaking written first anyway.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1967 on: January 13, 2011, 04:18:19 AM »
Uh, no it isn't. A vocal line is not a song, especially in DT's case, where the music is generally speaking written first anyway.

The lyrics had to have a melody to be considered. When JM gave them his contributions they had to re-write/re-arrange some parts, since he gave it to them in basically poetry free form. But now MP is gone, it would be nice to see him contribute and give the lyrics to JLB and say "Here, come up with a melody and do anything you think need be."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1968 on: January 13, 2011, 04:24:43 AM »

The lyrics had to have a melody to be considered. When JM gave them his contributions they had to re-write/re-arrange some parts, since he gave it to them in basically poetry free form. But now MP is gone, it would be nice to see him contribute and give the lyrics to JLB and say "Here, come up with a melody and do anything you think need be."

I've always thought the problem was that he would present unfinished lyrics, fragments and such and the band would have to take all that and form a coherent lyric from start to finish. Don't have any quote or proof at hand though.

Offline gborland

« Reply #1969 on: January 13, 2011, 07:00:37 AM »
I've always thought the problem was that he would present unfinished lyrics, fragments and such and the band would have to take all that and form a coherent lyric from start to finish.

I don't see that as being a problem; rather, it's an important part of the creative process!
Graham Borland

Offline inoku

« Reply #1970 on: January 13, 2011, 07:11:32 AM »

but does the Lyric Rules only applied when Mike is on the band?
sure mike was the one who said about this rule and now he's gone but idk maybe JP also agreed with this rules?
don't get me wrong, i want JMX to contribute lyrics again.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1971 on: January 13, 2011, 07:34:52 AM »
don't get me wrong, i want JMX to contribute lyrics again.

I'm sure that many of us do.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Rho d Berth

« Reply #1972 on: January 13, 2011, 07:42:12 AM »
The rule was implemented because lyrics were often submitted in a very raw format. Very poetic, but not fitting in the song. So then Mike and/or JP had to rework the lyrics and add the melodies to them. So that's just a lot of work for them to do. I guess they just were tired of doing this work and then see the work credited to the original raw lyrics author.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #1973 on: January 13, 2011, 09:06:41 AM »
I guess they just were tired of doing this work and then see the work credited to the original raw lyrics author.

Valid, but why not just list co-authors? They've done that plenty of times.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1974 on: January 13, 2011, 09:13:47 AM »
I can understand the reason for the rule; poetry and lyrics are two very different things.

But ages ago, way before MP said anything about leaving, JM expressed an interest in contributing again, so perhaps he is willing to put the effort in and create lyrics from his poetry, rather than getting others to do it. I hope so anyway, he comes up with some great stuff!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1975 on: January 13, 2011, 09:18:51 AM »
The rule was implemented because lyrics were often submitted in a very raw format. Very poetic, but not fitting in the song. So then Mike and/or JP had to rework the lyrics and add the melodies to them. So that's just a lot of work for them to do. I guess they just were tired of doing this work and then see the work credited to the original raw lyrics author.
That's still a lot less work than writing the lyrics and vocal melodies from scratch - even without melodies, JM writing the lyrics gives them another song that they don't have to write all on their own. So it's a timesaver either way.

My guess is that they didn't feel particularly comfortable editing JM's lyrics. To take all this wonderful imagery and stomp down on it until it fits in the box. Like if your friend had done a fantastic painting and it was your job to rip all the edges off. I figure it's more a creative and personal choice than a time-saving choice.

Keep in mind also that, by not writing melodies, Myung was being quite lazy in comparison to the others. Everybody else manages it. Myung's always portrayed as the victim in this scenario - because everyone likes his lyrics and it precludes us from getting them - but in fairness, the rule does stem from Myung doing less work than everyone else.

This doesn't have much to do with the new drummer, though.

I can understand the reason for the rule; poetry and lyrics are two very different things.

But ages ago, way before MP said anything about leaving, JM expressed an interest in contributing again, so perhaps he is willing to put the effort in and create lyrics from his poetry, rather than getting others to do it. I hope so anyway, he comes up with some great stuff!
This, too. Word for word.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1976 on: January 13, 2011, 09:20:37 AM »
Correct on all counts.  (especially the last one)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #1977 on: January 13, 2011, 09:37:45 AM »
Do we know if JM actually wrote something even without melody??

maybe he didn't even wrote anything.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1978 on: January 13, 2011, 09:42:03 AM »
maybe he didn't even wrote anything.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1979 on: January 13, 2011, 09:43:09 AM »
 :justjen
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline metalpete

« Reply #1980 on: January 13, 2011, 09:52:38 AM »
So the status after several months of speculating is ( as far as I know):

NOTHING!!!!!

Virgil Donati has apperently said that he didn't get the gig but auditioned ( at least someone claims he said this on his forum)
Marco Minneman has scheduled recording and touring with other bands
Mike Mangini has scheduled recording with other bands and what else
Peter Wildoer is writing for the next Darkane record
Aquilles Priester has scheduled events with Hangar and clinics
Charlie Zeleny has said he didn't audition
The only one who has nothing official scheduled as far as I have seen is Thomas Lang...........

And of course it can be someone else.

Am I the only one who thinks DT's communication with the fans has been a lot poorer after MP quit, maybe it is rocket sience after all!!!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1981 on: January 13, 2011, 09:55:49 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks DT's communication with the fans has been a lot poorer after MP quit, maybe it is rocket sience after all!!!!!
No it's not.  They have said several times what the reasons are for their not announcing it yet.  Calm down, have some dip.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline metalpete

« Reply #1982 on: January 13, 2011, 10:02:12 AM »
No it's not.  They have said several times what the reasons are for their not announcing it yet.  Calm down, have some dip.

I am calm, I just find it peculiar why the don't announce it before people get bored.

I just find it interesting that MP comunicated so close with the fans and after he left the other guys promised to do the same. All I see is messages from them about new equipment they endorse and rock on messages.  And I am absolutly no MP fanboy, I think they will make better music without him. PR and communications is something I don't think they handle as well as they thought they could.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1983 on: January 13, 2011, 10:13:09 AM »

I am calm, I just find it peculiar why the don't announce it before people get bored.

I just find it interesting that MP comunicated so close with the fans and after he left the other guys promised to do the same. All I see is messages from them about new equipment they endorse and rock on messages.  And I am absolutly no MP fanboy, I think they will make better music without him. PR and communications is something I don't think they handle as well as they thought they could.

It's a little early to judge, let's see how it plays out throughout the year.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1984 on: January 13, 2011, 10:33:15 AM »

Part of good PR is communicating things that need to be communicated when they need to be communicated.  If there is nothing that can be said, there is no reason for the band to say anything.  If you're bored, frankly, that's your problem, not the band's.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline unklejman

« Reply #1985 on: January 13, 2011, 10:54:26 AM »
rocket sience

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1986 on: January 13, 2011, 02:53:13 PM »
I liked the Sam avatar better, unkle.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #1987 on: January 13, 2011, 04:30:49 PM »
Oh you mean Stan the previously owned vessel salesman?

Let me see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: Well it keeps telling me it's too large. Hmm. If only avatars could be a remotely linked file.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1988 on: January 13, 2011, 04:52:45 PM »
Oh you mean Stan the previously owned vessel salesman?

Let me see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: Well it keeps telling me it's too large. Hmm. If only avatars could be a remotely linked file.
God, Stan is annoying. And yet so classic.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #1989 on: January 13, 2011, 07:13:22 PM »
It does kind of look like it might be Lang.  :metal

Offline ekuban

« Reply #1990 on: January 13, 2011, 08:19:35 PM »
Google Lang moonrock, tune has been growing on me over last few weeks. Its on you tube with electric and reg. He is a stud. Hope its him.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1991 on: January 13, 2011, 09:55:30 PM »
lol Lang is so good and controlled its sickening.  Guy is awesome.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline LKap13

« Reply #1992 on: January 13, 2011, 10:21:34 PM »
Google Lang moonrock, tune has been growing on me over last few weeks. Its on you tube with electric and reg. He is a stud. Hope its him.

Not really impressed...

Any parts in particular that you were impressed by?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1993 on: January 13, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »

Not really impressed...

Any parts in particular that you were impressed by?

I think he just meant he likes that song. The drumming isn't super impressive on it. But Lang is still insane.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #1994 on: January 14, 2011, 01:05:57 AM »
Gee, I thought you guys were being hard on Blabbermouth but now they report that CONTRARY TO RUMORS Minnemann is not the drummer. They left out the part where the "rumors" were spread by them based on nothing more than the speculation of (what I believe to be) internet forums like this one.

And in the latest report they still don't cite any source, so why would I believe them this time around? I don't think I'll believe anything until I hear it out of Myung's mouth, because he seems to be the least likely to get caught up in the hype.