23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058736 times)

Offline robwebster

Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #1890 on: January 10, 2011, 06:57:24 AM »
Any fucking numpty can set up their own website. Many do.

Thanks Rob, great.
Any fucking numpty can set up their own website =/= anybody with a website is a fucking numpty.

No I really meant that I thought it was funny. I now see that it can be read in a sarcastic way, but I didn't mean it like that!
AH. I thought you were offended. Sorry.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1891 on: January 10, 2011, 11:47:30 AM »
Just been to the Modern Drummer site to vote in the 2011 poll and in the Prog section Aquiles Priester is one of the 5 options listed, along with Peart, Portnoy, Minnemann, and Harrison.
Didn't realise he was that well known.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #1892 on: January 10, 2011, 11:55:52 AM »
I'm too lazy to vote right now, but I would vote for Minneman. He's becoming bigger ad bigger in the drumming world, I guess he can have my vote. If not, the Priester, I fucking love Angra :)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1893 on: January 10, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »
Whether  Minneman is the guy or not, auditioning (or at least being believed to have auditioned) is probably one of the best things to happen for his career.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:14:38 PM by 7StringedBeast »
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #1894 on: January 11, 2011, 01:07:01 PM »
From Mangini again: Heading to up the North Shore this week for rec session #2 of 2011. I will update my sites w/info asap. My Books site will be down for a while.

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #1895 on: January 11, 2011, 01:17:18 PM »
From Mangini again: Heading to up the North Shore this week for rec session #2 of 2011. I will update my sites w/info asap. My Books site will be down for a while.

I honestly don't think it's this guy.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1896 on: January 11, 2011, 01:18:44 PM »
I agree, I really don't think its Mangini.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #1897 on: January 11, 2011, 01:26:52 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he was. He certainly wouldn't be my fist choice though.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1898 on: January 11, 2011, 01:53:53 PM »
oh man even i am losing my patience with this, and i swore i wouldnt

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #1899 on: January 11, 2011, 02:00:07 PM »
oh man even i am losing my patience with this, and i swore i wouldnt

Oh...Tell me about it!  :(

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #1900 on: January 11, 2011, 02:13:26 PM »
what's this "north shore" place? isn't DT recording on long island? i've never been there. are there shores on long island?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1901 on: January 11, 2011, 02:17:13 PM »
what's this "north shore" place? isn't DT recording on long island? i've never been there. are there shores on long island?

Quite possibly.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1902 on: January 11, 2011, 02:20:49 PM »
I'm doubting it's Mangini as well unless he's deliberately trying to throw people off. Doesn't really matter though. We'll find out soon enough. At least we better. This is getting a bit out of hand really.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1903 on: January 11, 2011, 02:23:57 PM »

Quite possibly.

-Marc.
Well, he could be cryptic and maybe he's talking about the north shore of LI, but The North Shore generally refers to the coastal towns and cities north of Boston. I'm from The South Shore.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tunnel Vision

« Reply #1904 on: January 11, 2011, 02:28:52 PM »
Avatar Studios is located in Manhattan, NYC. Assuming DT is recording there (like the past two albums), that's where they would be at.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1905 on: January 11, 2011, 02:29:03 PM »
North Shore is a LI term......hmmmmmmm
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #1906 on: January 11, 2011, 02:32:07 PM »
Nah it looks like its not Mangini...unless they're bringing him in later in the writing/recording process which is unlikely

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1907 on: January 11, 2011, 02:35:08 PM »
Nah it looks like its not Mangini...unless they're bringing him in later in the writing/recording process which is unlikely

Well, Petrucci's been "in the studio" supposedly, since January 3rd, yet Jordan hasn't been by there at all, as far as I know, and he's going to NAMM later this week, so he likely won't be joining JP until next week.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1908 on: January 11, 2011, 02:43:18 PM »
I should totally camp outside the studios!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1909 on: January 11, 2011, 02:45:54 PM »
Avatar Studios is located in Manhattan, NYC. Assuming DT is recording there (like the past two albums), that's where they would be at.

I could be wrong, but I would bet they won't be using Avatar.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #1910 on: January 11, 2011, 02:53:46 PM »

Why do you think that Bosk?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1911 on: January 11, 2011, 02:56:41 PM »

Because "that's just what they're excpecting us to do!"

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1912 on: January 11, 2011, 02:59:03 PM »

Becase we know the dates they are in the studio, we know they've used that studio before, and it's in a well-traveled area.  If they feel like they still need to keep the identity of the drummer under wraps, they are likely to record somewhere else that makes it less likely for Joe Fan to camp out and get the goods on who the new drummer is before they can release it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #1913 on: January 11, 2011, 03:31:20 PM »
Bill Fore, formerly of Mutiny Within
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1914 on: January 11, 2011, 04:28:33 PM »
Is it soup yet?

:tick2:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1915 on: January 11, 2011, 05:52:16 PM »

Becase we know the dates they are in the studio, we know they've used that studio before, and it's in a well-traveled area.  If they feel like they still need to keep the identity of the drummer under wraps, they are likely to record somewhere else that makes it less likely for Joe Fan to camp out and get the goods on who the new drummer is before they can release it.

But, if the things are what we supposed to be, Petrucci and maybe JM are the only two in the studio right now. Setting up stuff or whatever, the one-we-don't-know-who isn't still near there, and this allows them use Avatar Studios without any problem. I mean, i'm pretty sure they will let us know who it is with a video from quite the real beginning of the recording sessions, so if they change the location, it won't be because of the still unknown choise.

Offline rmp0012002

« Reply #1916 on: January 11, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »
Avatar Studios was known as The Power Station so it's a very popular studio.  Booking time there probably isn't cheap so I would find it odd for just JM to be there by himself. 

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1917 on: January 11, 2011, 06:12:27 PM »

Yes the North shore refers to the north shore of long island....
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1918 on: January 11, 2011, 06:13:46 PM »
There are apparently multiple "North Shore"s.  The one that lept immediately to mind is in Hawaii.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline teoevans

« Reply #1919 on: January 11, 2011, 06:56:05 PM »
Mangini is not even a prog metal drummer..... I really don't know why so many keep on betting on him!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1920 on: January 11, 2011, 08:15:59 PM »
He seems to play a lot of prog and metal stuff, so he could be an easy pick.  Lots of people are betting on him because he's more than capable of playing MP's parts.  Besides, if they can play the music and get along well with the guys, it shouldn't matter if they play prog or metal or not.

Offline jazzfusionrocker

« Reply #1921 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:15 PM »
Heard the band was just setting up at the studio and writing without the phantom drummer present over the next month or two hence the mentions of Petrucci programming drum part ideas in previous tweets. They are not at Avatar but are definitely recording on Long Island. If you check out previous albums they've recorded at, there is one studio in particular that they have recorded at that is on the north shore on Long Island. Seems Mangini is our winner after taking off from classes and setting up his north shore recording session.

The band has something big to prove here and the album should be very inspired this time around. Wish it was Jarzombek, Charlie Z, Gavin Harrison or Macaluso on the album though instead of Mangini. Marco didn't get the gig but Jordan dug his playing so thats why they jammed at Mind Meld. The only other possibility of a dark horse is Aquiles Priester somehow vibing with the band better than Mangini for some reason and they could be waiting on his visa info and are having Mangini as a backup if things go awry so they don't encounter what happened with Peter Wildoer for Labrie.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #1922 on: January 11, 2011, 10:21:07 PM »
Second recording session? Recording demos maybe. I seriously don't think it's Manginni. It could be, and wouldn't bother me, but I don't think it's him. Even though he is the one who has given more clues of being the drummer, I don't think it's him. He even said he is the new drummer, but I don't think it's him, seriously.

he didn't say he was the drummer, I'm just joking

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1923 on: January 11, 2011, 10:47:36 PM »
The band has something big to prove here and the album should be very inspired this time around. Wish it was Jarzombek, Charlie Z, Gavin Harrison or Macaluso on the album though instead of Mangini. Marco didn't get the gig but Jordan dug his playing so thats why they jammed at Mind Meld. The only other possibility of a dark horse is Aquiles Priester somehow vibing with the band better than Mangini for some reason and they could be waiting on his visa info and are having Mangini as a backup if things go awry so they don't encounter what happened with Peter Wildoer for Labrie.

How do you know all this?  Do we have a confirmation that Marco is officially NOT the new drummer?  Regarding Visas, with the JLB tour thing, they just didn't have enough time to get James, Marco, and Peter's Visas in order, not just Peter (remember James is Canadian!), and if it WAS Priester (which I have a super gut feeling its not considering that I've heard from people here that he doesn't speak English), they'd have much longer to wait than the short time that James had.

Also, welcome to the forum!  Sorry your welcome here is at my scrutinizing your post  :P

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1924 on: January 11, 2011, 11:01:33 PM »
Here's an thought, and it's probably total BS because I know absolutely nothing about law, but here goes.

If legal stuff is what's holding Dream Theater back from announcing the new drummer, could it mean that, legally, he is not yet in the band? As such, could it mean that he is not legally allowed to start recording with them (in case, I dunno, there's some kind of issue during recording)? Yeah, I know, it's a reeeeal long shot, but I'm just curious as to whether or not that would make any sense, legally.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.