23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1059031 times)

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #1855 on: January 08, 2011, 11:49:35 AM »
I can't wait for the announcement so I can mock everyone who thinks it's Macro Minneman.

:(

Well, I hate to sound like a dick, but it's annoying yet kinda sad and funny that people are seriously defending the idea that he's the drummer based purely on the fact they want him to be the drummer when there's no evidence supporting it.

Which is almost fine, but then don't make posts telling other people they're wrong.

yea i know. i just want him to be the guy, but ive never said that any one guy was the drummer. we all have no idea

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1856 on: January 08, 2011, 12:15:26 PM »
You know, it would really be hilarious if DT actually did pull an Achtung Baby and went for electronic drums. And then have a live drummer play it on gigs.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1857 on: January 08, 2011, 12:38:27 PM »
No, it would not be hilarious..It would suck!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline alpheus94

« Reply #1858 on: January 08, 2011, 01:54:32 PM »
Let me see if I can give some reasons why I think it's Lang......or at least want it to be. He has the formal education and training background down.....actually Graduated from his school. So when it comes to arranging and composition discussions/ideas he can definitely contribute. He does  some cool showmanship with all the stick twirls/spins. Visually I think he brings more to the table. A lot of the interviews/clinics I've watched he seems to have a great sense of humor. Playing wise..........forget about it. He's an incredible player imo. His double bass technique is crazy. Extremely nuanced. Very important is his apparent commitment to continually improve and push the boundaries of drumming.

Kind of like where things went keyboard player wise with the progression to Jordan his how I would compare Lang. They seem like they would get along. This is all about how I think he would mesh with DT and not necessarily that the other guys don't share some of the same qualities. When I watch videos of each of them I like something about Lang that I don't see in the other guys that isn't really easy to explain. This is all my personal opinion of course.

HOWEVER...................... some of the music I've watched him play along to I haven't been that impressed with. I understand he probably wrote some of it. I like his drumming over it, but not the actually guitar stuff he's playing to. I'm not too worried about that though, because I don't expect him to compose guitar parts. Any more than Mike composed guitar parts. I would definitely like to see what he can do with JP, JM, and JR.

I hope it's him. My first choice, don't see how he's out of the running anymore than the other big 2 candidates. Who ever they pick it will be interesting and I'm looking forward to the next album with great anticipation.

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #1859 on: January 08, 2011, 04:13:41 PM »
how long should a broken foot heals?

I'm thinking it may be Lang, he might of gotten the broken foot and the rest of DT will start writing, he'll join when he is ready.

Maybe he faked the injury so people would not start speculating about why he cancelled his drum camp?

Tin

Where did he say that he canceled his drum camps? The last thing on twitter I saw, he said that it was it for 2010. This was in Nov 2010, so it make sense. Also, he stated that there would be camps outside the US in 2011.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1860 on: January 08, 2011, 04:49:03 PM »
So basically nothing has changed since I left.

Posting in a speculation thread.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1861 on: January 08, 2011, 04:50:30 PM »
So basically nothing has changed since I left.

Posting in a speculation thread.

I already proved that Bosk is the new drummer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline alpheus94

« Reply #1862 on: January 08, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »
yet we are unable to cast a vote for bosk.........................

Online Adami

« Reply #1863 on: January 08, 2011, 05:37:15 PM »
yet we are unable to cast a vote for bosk.........................

There's a thread for that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mittinagus

• Mexican Bad-ass...
  • Matando Güeros!
« Reply #1864 on: January 08, 2011, 06:05:15 PM »

I'm thinking it may be Lang, he might of gotten the broken foot and the rest of DT will start writing, he'll join when he is ready.

Maybe he faked the injury so people would not start speculating about why he cancelled his drum camp?

Tin

Where did he say that he canceled his drum camps? The last thing on twitter I saw, he said that it was it for 2010. This was in Nov 2010, so it make sense. Also, he stated that there would be camps outside the US in 2011.

I think it was a drum camp at seattle that was canceled due to his injury, i'm not sure maybe i'm wrong...

Tin

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1865 on: January 08, 2011, 06:15:07 PM »
I just can't see Lang in DT, sorry.  I pray that it isn't Lang.  Srsly. 

Offline Pumpkin Pie

• starving musician
« Reply #1866 on: January 08, 2011, 06:45:55 PM »

I pray that God ignores your prayer. Plus, you could always close your eyes and pretend it's whoever else you can see in DT.

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #1867 on: January 09, 2011, 01:25:39 AM »

I pray that God ignores your prayer. Plus, you could always close your eyes and pretend it's whoever else you can see in DT.

This.

Srsly Sneakyblueberry (:lol) if you're gonna make a comment like that about a drummer this caliber, you should back it up.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #1868 on: January 09, 2011, 04:54:01 AM »
Lang is srsly overrated. At least I think he is. When I watch him, I can see that everything he does is outrageously technical, and requires a very high level of coordination and precision, but for some reason he just doesn't draw me into his playing. It seems soulless.
If he is picked though, I hope he hooks up octobans to his pedals lol. 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1869 on: January 09, 2011, 05:33:11 AM »
Well, atmyne, I feel the same about Lang. He's very technical, but for some reason, I'm not really drawn to his playing beside the technicality. Macaluso would have been / would be perfect for me : maybe not as technical as others, but I love his playing.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #1870 on: January 09, 2011, 07:39:05 AM »
Do you guys think DT might make the new drummer announcement during the NAMM convention? Jordan, will be there, I'm sure both Johns will be there as well, and most likely their new drummer will be there, if it's Lang or Minnemann, with DW Drums, Mangini with Pearl Drums?

I think it's a well covered industry event, and might be a cool way to announce it, what do you guys think?

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1871 on: January 09, 2011, 07:40:50 AM »
Good point, but I think not. If they would do that, there'll be a press release way before the namm, just to have as much coverage as possible.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1872 on: January 09, 2011, 09:23:57 AM »

Tin

I think it was a drum camp at seattle that was canceled due to his injury, i'm not sure maybe i'm wrong...

Tin

Yea I think I remember a link being posted here that one of his camps was cancelled due to a broken foot.

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #1873 on: January 09, 2011, 09:29:09 AM »

Tin

Tin

Yea I think I remember a link being posted here that one of his camps was cancelled due to a broken foot.

There was a link from some random guy, but there was nothing announced on Thomas Lang's Drum Camp website, so I'd take that supposed injury with a grain of salt. Thomas hasn't tweeted about it either, and he tweets for just about anything.

Offline Remco

« Reply #1874 on: January 09, 2011, 10:37:01 AM »
Do you guys think DT might make the new drummer announcement during the NAMM convention? Jordan, will be there, I'm sure both Johns will be there as well, and most likely their new drummer will be there, if it's Lang or Minnemann, with DW Drums, Mangini with Pearl Drums?

I think it's a well covered industry event, and might be a cool way to announce it, what do you guys think?
Probably not. The NAMM convention will be about the new products different companies are releasing. It's about them and not about a band who happens to be at NAMM. It would draw a lot of the attention away from the convention itself, so I would say it isn't happening. Plus LOTS of people over there probably don't even like Dream Theater, it would be very odd if they announced it over there.

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #1875 on: January 09, 2011, 11:14:34 AM »

Probably not. The NAMM convention will be about the new products different companies are releasing. It's about them and not about a band who happens to be at NAMM. It would draw a lot of the attention away from the convention itself, so I would say it isn't happening. Plus LOTS of people over there probably don't even like Dream Theater, it would be very odd if they announced it over there.

Good points.

Offline Pumpkin Pie

• starving musician
« Reply #1876 on: January 09, 2011, 11:52:31 AM »
Lang is srsly overrated. At least I think he is. When I watch him, I can see that everything he does is outrageously technical, and requires a very high level of coordination and precision, but for some reason he just doesn't draw me into his playing. It seems soulless.
If he is picked though, I hope he hooks up octobans to his pedals lol. 

So, because you don't like him (his playing doesn't 'draw you in'), he is overrated? It's ok if you don't like him, I'm just trying to figure out why you say his playing is soulless..? Is it one of those "chops vs. emotion" debates? Enlighten me.

Offline EasterDavy

« Reply #1877 on: January 09, 2011, 11:56:07 AM »
Personally, from what I've seen of Lang, I like him a lot better than Mangini.  I feel that Lang at least has a sense of groove and dynamics - something I've yet to see from Mangini.

I'd still prefer Marco out of any of these choices, however.

Offline Metal God

« Reply #1878 on: January 09, 2011, 12:06:51 PM »

Well just read that : https://www.smnnews.com/2011/01/04/psyaxis-confirm-dream-theaters-marco-minnemann-as-drummer/

and other news site are saying this as well.

Online Adami

« Reply #1879 on: January 09, 2011, 12:09:59 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1880 on: January 09, 2011, 12:54:44 PM »
quote from the band minnemann is recording with:

"Im not too sure where DT came into play on this article. I dont want there to be a misunderstanding. Minnemann is coming down to play drums on our album, but it has nothing to do with DT. Id love to see him play with them, but I dont think he is their new drummer"

Online Adami

« Reply #1881 on: January 09, 2011, 12:56:45 PM »
God rock journalism is getting terrible.

Anyway, as I said earlier....IF Marco is the new drummer, then DT have the worst PR people in history.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #1882 on: January 09, 2011, 01:38:32 PM »
quote from the band minnemann is recording with:

"Im not too sure where DT came into play on this article. I dont want there to be a misunderstanding. Minnemann is coming down to play drums on our album, but it has nothing to do with DT. Id love to see him play with them, but I dont think he is their new drummer"

I don't think that whoever made this announcement, would say that Marco is indeed DT's new drummer. Hell, even if a DT member was asked, he would probably deny it (or wouldn't comment on the subject at all).

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1883 on: January 09, 2011, 01:42:34 PM »
God rock journalism is getting terrible.
No, internet journalism is staying terrible.

Any fucking numpty can set up their own website. Many do.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1884 on: January 09, 2011, 01:44:52 PM »

Thanks Rob, great.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1885 on: January 09, 2011, 02:06:18 PM »
And Marco would definitely do well not to say a word through all this. By letting rumors spread that he is the new drummer when he clearly isn't due to this other project it will allow him to really get his name out there. Even though they never toured because of the financial issue just look at what being announced for Progressive Nation did for a band like Beardfish.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1886 on: January 09, 2011, 04:23:42 PM »

Thanks Rob, great.
Any fucking numpty can set up their own website =/= anybody with a website is a fucking numpty.

All I'm saying is that on a system with no real quality control, i.e. the internet, some websites are inevitably gonna be shit, and not necessarily representative of the professional journalism industry.

Just as you get erudite, clever youtube commenters in amongst the shit ones, there are plenty of good amateur sites. But just as you can't look at youtube comments and go "man, political commentators are going right downhill," you can't really look at a cobbled-together rock news website and go "rock journalism's atrocious lately."

Assuming you're an amateur rock journalist - and so am I, by the way - I'm defending the profession you're aspiring to. Criticising the notion that rock journalism's not what it used to be. The odd crap website does not a dying medium make.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:28:54 PM by robwebster »

Offline rmp0012002

« Reply #1887 on: January 09, 2011, 08:27:15 PM »

Probably not. The NAMM convention will be about the new products different companies are releasing. It's about them and not about a band who happens to be at NAMM. It would draw a lot of the attention away from the convention itself, so I would say it isn't happening. Plus LOTS of people over there
probably don't even like Dream Theater, it would be very odd if they announced it over there.

It's possible. A couple years back they had RacerX reunite so having a band announce a new drummer wouldn't overshadow the convention.

Offline TL

« Reply #1888 on: January 09, 2011, 11:05:04 PM »
My first choice is Lang. If he's the drummer, that would be fucking amazing.
Is Minnemann is the new drummer, that would also be fucking awesome.
If it's Mangini, that would, as well, be fucking awesome.

Basically, I'm trusting that the guys are capable of selecting a drummer who's the right fit for DT. No matter who they pick, it will be a huge shakeup for the band. They've always done well after a lineup change.

First studio release after JLB joined: Images & Words
First studio release after Derek joined: A Change of Seasons
First studio release after JR joined: Scenes From A Memory

No matter who they pick, I am psyched for the new album.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1889 on: January 10, 2011, 04:55:00 AM »

Thanks Rob, great.
Any fucking numpty can set up their own website =/= anybody with a website is a fucking numpty.

No I really meant that I thought it was funny. I now see that it can be read in a sarcastic way, but I didn't mean it like that!