23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058798 times)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #1610 on: January 04, 2011, 07:12:01 AM »
If he is revamping his own studio for a session starting in two weeks, it seems like this could put a damper on him being the drummer for DT.  Unless they are planning on doing drum tracks at Mangini's studio.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1611 on: January 04, 2011, 07:29:35 AM »
If he is revamping his own studio for a session starting in two weeks, it seems like this could put a damper on him being the drummer for DT.  Unless they are planning on doing drum tracks at Mangini's studio.

Yeah, this. I feel like it is Minnemann from that update. Or maybe Lang.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1612 on: January 04, 2011, 07:34:17 AM »
I say it's not clear. He's revamping his studio... what is the exact definition of revamping?
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #1613 on: January 04, 2011, 07:46:51 AM »
I say it's not clear. He's revamping his studio... what is the exact definition of revamping?

Well, whatever he means by revamping (upgrading software, putting up new soundproofing, expanding recording space etc.) it is WORK, and I'm sure he's studio is in Boston (he is from Boston right?) so that means no Mangini in New York where DT is. So, I also think that after that update from Mangini himself, that he is not "the one"

Fingers crossed it's Lang. (or Minnemann)  :metal

Offline alpheus94

« Reply #1614 on: January 04, 2011, 07:58:32 AM »
The funny thing about betting.................the greater the odds the greater the payout. So switching to the seemingly obvious choice gains what exactly??

Still betting on Lang. If win the bet it will be the best payout for me!!  :metal If I lose..........well that's what happens when you bet/gamble. I know that and will move on with my life and try to dig the new drummer anyways.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1615 on: January 04, 2011, 08:06:20 AM »
I still say Macaluso. Why not, after all?.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1616 on: January 04, 2011, 08:16:47 AM »
Keep in mind that it's very possible that the new drummer will not be needed in the studio with DT for a few weeks or more. I can see JP, JM, and JR getting set up in the studio and starting to jam/write new tunes. JLB shows up a couple weeks later to start on vocal melodies and additional lyrics. Then the drummer shows up to record the drums. I really doubt that a brand new member of the band is going to have a significant role in writing music the first time around.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1617 on: January 04, 2011, 08:24:29 AM »
I think the new drummer will have a big role.

After all, they wanted a full functioning member, not a hired gun.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #1618 on: January 04, 2011, 08:27:06 AM »
I think the new drummer will have a big role.

After all, they wanted a full functioning member, not a hired gun.

This.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1619 on: January 04, 2011, 08:35:49 AM »
Yeah I highly doubt they are going to write the entire album without any drums, and then just have the drummer fill in parts.  That'd be pretty difficult.  DT has typically always jammed out their new material.  They are going to want the drummer there to Jam with them.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1620 on: January 04, 2011, 09:09:08 AM »
Yeah but that doesn't mean they won't start out by putting the ideas together and then jamming later with the full band in order to refine the songs.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1621 on: January 04, 2011, 09:15:35 AM »
Considering its a brand new drummer, I'm sure they are going to want him there during the creative process, otherwise they could have just hired any drummer for hire.  Wasn't MP always there for all of the writing?  Didn't they completely jam out ToT in a few weeks?

Just doesn't make much sense to me to not have the drummer there and only have guitar and bass jamming in a studio where that could be done anywhere. 

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1622 on: January 04, 2011, 09:19:21 AM »
Just doesn't make much sense to me to not have the drummer there and only have guitar and bass jamming in a studio where that could be done anywhere. 
You can have a whole band jamming anywhere. I've never understood why the writing process happens in the studio. It's so damn expensive to be there.

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #1623 on: January 04, 2011, 09:20:17 AM »
Couple thoughts on Mangini...

1.  Why would he leave his job to do an "ordinary" session or just to update his studio?  Leaving his position as an instructor means he will be full time busy doing some significant project IMO.  You would think that if he was going to do a really cool project that isnt DT that he would just say that.  Why be secret?  Is his new work secret too?

2.  Maybe he is to report for Dream Theater duty in 2 weeks when they make the official announcement?

Analyzing his comments only creates even more speculation, but what he wrote doesnt actually mean he is not the guy IMO.

Wow, Mangini has a schedule of sessions coming, Marco has gigs lined up.....Could Lang really be DT's guy?

I love all this drama and speculation.  After the announcement we will all be craving stuff to discuss until the new music arrives.  These are exciting times in DTLand.

STAY PROGGY MY FRIENDS

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1624 on: January 04, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »
The funny thing about betting.................the greater the odds the greater the payout. So switching to the seemingly obvious choice gains what exactly??

Still betting on Lang. If win the bet it will be the best payout for me!!  :metal If I lose..........well that's what happens when you bet/gamble. I know that and will move on with my life and try to dig the new drummer anyways.

I initially bet on Lang.  Since then, the messages have been mixed.  He's probably not my front runner, but I'm not changing my vote.  For one thing, it still could be Lang.  For another, it seems like cheating to change it.  My bet is my bet.  If I'm right, great.  If not I'm wrong, oh well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1625 on: January 04, 2011, 09:24:15 AM »
You can have a whole band jamming anywhere. I've never understood why the writing process happens in the studio. It's so damn expensive to be there.

Well in the studio you can have everything all mic'd up and recordign the whole time.  It would be quality as well, so they could record a song on the spot if they desired.

Offline Lotion

« Reply #1626 on: January 04, 2011, 09:26:20 AM »
starting to wonder if the drummer is a random guy none here really thought of. After all this Mangini/Marco/Lang talk, I guess this forum would go crazy if its neither of them :P

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1627 on: January 04, 2011, 09:27:24 AM »
I hope its Animal from the muppet show personally.

Offline John94

« Reply #1628 on: January 04, 2011, 09:33:11 AM »
All this time and nobody considered this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQH8YS2_NxY

WOW! Amazing chops.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1629 on: January 04, 2011, 09:35:07 AM »

that would be pure PROG!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1630 on: January 04, 2011, 09:52:22 AM »

At least his vocal performances would be hilarious in a good way.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1631 on: January 04, 2011, 09:53:25 AM »
JP: I appreciate everyone's anticipation with regard to our forthcoming announcement of DT's new drummer. All will be revealed soon. paciencia y fe...

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1632 on: January 04, 2011, 10:00:26 AM »
this today from JP's Facebook:   

"I appreciate everyone's anticipation with regard to our forthcoming announcement of DT's new drummer. All will be revealed soon. paciencia y fe.."

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1633 on: January 04, 2011, 10:01:51 AM »
Couple thoughts on Mangini...

1.  Why would he leave his job to do an "ordinary" session or just to update his studio?  Leaving his position as an instructor means he will be full time busy doing some significant project IMO.  You would think that if he was going to do a really cool project that isnt DT that he would just say that.  Why be secret?  Is his new work secret too?

Maybe he does have a cool project other than DT but promised the guys he would not say he didn't get the job.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1634 on: January 04, 2011, 10:04:53 AM »
All I know is that the government could learn a few lessons from DT regarding keeping secrets secret.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1635 on: January 04, 2011, 10:08:14 AM »
Where's Julian Assange when you need him?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1636 on: January 04, 2011, 10:16:07 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
For what it's worth, Pt II
« Reply #1637 on: January 04, 2011, 10:26:59 AM »
So, another email from my band's drummer (Scott); he talked to the same guy as before who said that it's Mike Mangini (the guy apparently is the drummer of Into Eternity). Scott said to the guy that it might be Marco Minnemann; replies Into Eternity guy: "Dude, I told you it's Mike Mangini! He told me himself!"

For what it's worth.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline alpheus94

Re: For what it's worth, Pt II
« Reply #1638 on: January 04, 2011, 10:30:31 AM »
It's Thomas Lang.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
Re: For what it's worth, Pt II
« Reply #1639 on: January 04, 2011, 10:53:36 AM »
So, another email from my band's drummer (Scott); he talked to the same guy as before who said that it's Mike Mangini (the guy apparently is the drummer of Into Eternity). Scott said to the guy that it might be Marco Minnemann; replies Into Eternity guy: "Dude, I told you it's Mike Mangini! He told me himself!"

For what it's worth.

rumborak

lol'd. meanwhile on the virgil message board:

A little bird just told me that Marco Minneman is the new drummer for DT, but this is not confirmed. It was on Blabbermouth, but that's not my source, I heard it from several other people who are well connected. We'll see....

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #1640 on: January 04, 2011, 10:55:10 AM »
^ only difference here is that rumborak lives in Boston, his band is based on Boston and Mangini is based in Boston. 

lol'd
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: January 04, 2011, 10:55:25 AM »
All 3 of the drummers have been melted together to form the UBER DRUMMER.  Its the only logical reality at this point.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #1642 on: January 04, 2011, 11:01:20 AM »
^ only difference here is that rumborak lives in Boston, his band is based on Boston and Mangini is based in Boston. 

lol'd

very interesting. That makes it somewhat more credible than other rumors spreading around I guess. Still hoping for Minnemann

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1643 on: January 04, 2011, 11:10:56 AM »
I love this mystery. It doesn't irk me in the slightest.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1644 on: January 04, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »
meanwhile on the virgil message board:

A little bird just told me that Marco Minneman is the new drummer for DT, but this is not confirmed. It was on Blabbermouth, but that's not my source, I heard it from several other people who are well connected. We'll see....

Yes, but by who on Virgil's board?  Virgil, or someone else?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."