23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058826 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #1575 on: December 31, 2010, 11:32:33 AM »
Again, the tour for Minnemann isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, as the timing of it most likely won't interfere with either DT's recording time or their tour schedule.

Has to learn at least 90 minutes of DT music. No matter how good of a drummer you are, that takes a bit of time. THen he has to spend sometime practicing it with the band to get all the cues and general familariarity down. I doubt he could do that in a few weeks.

Is this a joke? Learning 90 minutes of music should not be hard for any "professional" musician.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1576 on: December 31, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »
Again, the tour for Minnemann isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, as the timing of it most likely won't interfere with either DT's recording time or their tour schedule.

Has to learn at least 90 minutes of DT music. No matter how good of a drummer you are, that takes a bit of time. THen he has to spend sometime practicing it with the band to get all the cues and general familariarity down. I doubt he could do that in a few weeks.
*shrugs*  I don't think it would be that big a deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ATHpb1f_g
The guy is definitely talented, but I haven't seen a clip of his yet where he acted like he had an ounce of charisma.  He is like a robot.  DT already has one John Myung, they don't need another one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #1577 on: December 31, 2010, 12:17:42 PM »
I agree that he lacks charisma. Still, I really like his creativity and the "theory" behind his drumming. I'd prefer him over Minnemann/Mangini, robot-like and all.

This may be controversial, but I didn't find Marco's performance during Mind Meld to be impressive at all.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1578 on: December 31, 2010, 12:57:17 PM »
I don't recall reading this, from blabbermouth. Well, not these exact words. I'm positive it's been posted before, but it's good to look at what we have.

“I know that the big question is ‘Who is the new Dream Theater drummer?’ I also realize that some people are getting frustrated waiting for the news.  Well, auditions went great and we do have someone but we are spending some time getting everything in order before making an official announcement. Let me just say that we are all incredibly excited about our choice and just bursting at the seams to let the world know!”

Source: https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=150660

Offline liquidtension

« Reply #1579 on: January 01, 2011, 12:50:36 AM »
I love how it appears people adjust their choices based on the latest rumor(s).
He has no enemies; and none of his friends like him.

Offline Funbass

« Reply #1580 on: January 01, 2011, 07:59:37 AM »
I love how it appears people adjust their choices based on the latest rumor(s).

mi top five was since day 0
1)Virgil Donati
2)Mike mangini
3)Dave weckl
4)Terry bozzio
5)Rod morgenstein

then i changed from terry bozzio to Marco because i realized that bozzio´s choice is impossible.
but then again, this is so subjective...

Offline OptionalPlayer

• Comprised of a series of ones and zeros
« Reply #1581 on: January 01, 2011, 11:55:13 AM »
I'm still gunning for Mark Zonder - although I know that it will never be.  :(

Offline jpbls

« Reply #1582 on: January 01, 2011, 02:42:54 PM »
I agree Priester is a great metal prog drummer... But I don't think that he auditioned.
I know for a fact that he did audition.Also,John Macaluso didnt audition.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1583 on: January 01, 2011, 02:44:09 PM »
I agree Priester is a great metal prog drummer... But I don't think that he auditioned.

Unless you have proof to offer, please keep statements like that to yourself, there not in the slightest bit helpful.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1584 on: January 01, 2011, 02:55:45 PM »

Unless you have proof to offer, please keep statements like that to yourself, there not in the slightest bit helpful.
Well, we don't necessarily need proof, as proof can be impossible to provide. But at least an explanation of how he knows would give some context. "I know this, but I won't tell you why, just trust me" is very unhelpful.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1585 on: January 01, 2011, 03:07:33 PM »
Maybe he'll falsely claim to be one of John Myung's inlaws.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1586 on: January 02, 2011, 03:12:35 PM »
I know for a fact that I don't know a thing.  My wife has told me so.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1587 on: January 02, 2011, 03:15:43 PM »

You let her speak?

For shame!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1588 on: January 02, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »

You let her speak?

For shame!

I wish I had sed power. A man can dream.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1589 on: January 02, 2011, 04:31:09 PM »
Maybe he'll falsely claim to be one of John Myung's inlaws.

Trolling.  :bosk1:

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1590 on: January 02, 2011, 07:48:13 PM »
I had a conversation with one of my cousins about this:

Me  "Did you hear about Portnoy leaving Dream Theater."
Cousin "Oh yeah."
Me "What's interesting is that right after they auditioned drummers - Mike Mangini quit teaching all of his Berklee classes for reasons he can't disclose."
Cousin "Hmmm...  Good."
Me "Why specifically is that good?"
Cousin "Dream Theater started at Berklee, and now they're bringing in another Berklee guy."

My cousin went there, so it's natural he'd go that direction, but he brings up an important point.  Without consciously saying "Hey, let's get another guy who went to Berklee," maybe there's a shared musical sense that comes from being involved with that school.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #1591 on: January 02, 2011, 07:54:43 PM »
Does anyone else hate how people keep changing their votes? I voted for Morgenstein back in September before all the rumors started, and I'm not afraid to admit it, even though it's probably not him. Just make a vote and stick with it people!

...it would make the poll more interesting. Kinda, but not really. Sorta.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1592 on: January 02, 2011, 07:56:12 PM »
I don't, because, for instance, I had no idea how drummers like Minnemann played when I first voted. 

Offline alpheus94

« Reply #1593 on: January 02, 2011, 08:08:13 PM »
Voted for Lang and still haven't changed my mind. He could do it with one foot. ;D

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #1594 on: January 02, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »
I don't, because, for instance, I had no idea how drummers like Minnemann played when I first voted. 

Your bad, brother man.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1595 on: January 02, 2011, 08:30:27 PM »
Does anyone else hate how people keep changing their votes? I voted for Morgenstein back in September before all the rumors started, and I'm not afraid to admit it, even though it's probably not him. Just make a vote and stick with it people!

Yes but you see, the topic is asking people to place bets. These bets may not be for money or any other kind of reward, but even so, why would you want to bet on something you knew was wrong?
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #1596 on: January 02, 2011, 08:31:28 PM »

Yes but you see, the topic is asking people to place bets. These bets may not be for money or any other kind of reward, but even so, why would you want to bet on something you knew was wrong?

you didn't know it was wrong when you betted the first time?

edit: I know you guys understand what I meant, but I'm curious; is betted even a word? I'm getting that red squiggly line under it. 

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1597 on: January 02, 2011, 08:56:36 PM »

you didn't know it was wrong when you betted the first time?

edit: I know you guys understand what I meant, but I'm curious; is betted even a word? I'm getting that red squiggly line under it. 
It's not, you would still say 'bet.' That word is the same in past, present and future tenses.

Offline Big Crouton

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1598 on: January 03, 2011, 12:06:42 AM »
I'm proud to be one of 6 or so people who voted for minnemann from the get-go, and I still hope he gets the gig even though there's only a very thin piece of information suggesting that he will.  I've been a big Minnemann fan since 'Burning Organ', and I'd be excited to see what he would bring to DT.
I'm not sure how literal 'God created man in his own image' is, but it would be pretty crappy if there was a god but he died a while ago of appendicitus.

www.mercuryrecordings.ca

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #1599 on: January 03, 2011, 01:41:37 AM »
^^how would you know that, anyways?

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #1600 on: January 03, 2011, 02:05:09 AM »
I'm proud to be one of 6 or so people who voted for minnemann from the get-go, and I still hope he gets the gig even though there's only a very thin piece of information suggesting that he will.  I've been a big Minnemann fan since 'Burning Organ', and I'd be excited to see what he would bring to DT.
+1 . Funny to see him ranked so highly now. He was the standout for me from the beginning, being the latter of insane drumming and innovative playing. All other drummers seem so stale compared to him, Lang included. But thats just me.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #1601 on: January 03, 2011, 02:54:08 AM »
I'd laugh (and be happy about this, by the way) if everyone is wrong and it's really Scott Rockenfield. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1602 on: January 03, 2011, 04:48:33 AM »
I had a conversation with one of my cousins about this:

Me  "Did you hear about Portnoy leaving Dream Theater."
Cousin "Oh yeah."
Me "What's interesting is that right after they auditioned drummers - Mike Mangini quit teaching all of his Berklee classes for reasons he can't disclose."
Cousin "Hmmm...  Good."
Me "Why specifically is that good?"
Cousin "Dream Theater started at Berklee, and now they're bringing in another Berklee guy."

My cousin went there, so it's natural he'd go that direction, but he brings up an important point.  Without consciously saying "Hey, let's get another guy who went to Berklee," maybe there's a shared musical sense that comes from being involved with that school.
I doubt it.  They were only there a year.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline teoevans

« Reply #1603 on: January 03, 2011, 07:53:49 AM »
John Petrucci @ Twitter

"First day in the studio and the dawn of a new era for DT. Can't wait to get the music flowing."

Still no announcement!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1604 on: January 03, 2011, 09:16:33 AM »
I'd laugh (and be happy about this, by the way) if everyone is wrong and it's really Scott Rockenfield. 

There was a time when I would thought of him along the lines of Sherinian in terms of maybe not quite having the chops, but definitely having the skill and ability to get there if he applied himself.  But he's become so lazy for so long now that I just can't see it.  I actually think he's a much worse drummer now than he was 20 years ago.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1605 on: January 03, 2011, 09:39:39 AM »
Interesting bit of news I learned today. It seems the word on the street around these parts is that Steve Bolognese, the drummer for Into Eternity, has taken on some of Mr. Mangini's workload at Berklee. This would support recent rumors. Don't take it as gospel, but I'm New England based and know the local musicians rather well. I honestly thought Steve would've been a nice choice for DT, albeit a bit young, although I imagine he and MP were buds judging he was on the guest list for DT's last local show.

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #1606 on: January 04, 2011, 05:42:42 AM »
If it is Mangini, it seems like he has had a pretty long time to get affairs together.  As far as the timeline, around what date did JP and the guys say that they found a new guy?  Early November?  If we assume that they told the new guy then about getting the gig, he would have started the process on the legal and management end.

Unless MP really threw the guys for a loop in November with his flip flop, they have really had 60 days to get stuff done and squared away on the business front.

I would like to know if the announcement is being held up because of the new guy's contract or is it DT settling things with MP?  Maybe both???

Hopefully we find out who the new guy is with some footage of the guys jamming.  JR needs to get back and get to the studio asap!

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #1607 on: January 04, 2011, 06:55:06 AM »
Had a dream about the new drummer again! the audition was opened to public and final contenders were Vadrum and some other Asian guy that i didn't recognize... it was mind blowing (at least in my dream haha) and this two guys were hanging out with the people just wating for the announcement of who won and then i woke up... 

Damn i'm getting really frustrated with all this :@

so.. i thought today in the morning, that maybe roadrunner want to put a dvd together of the searching of the new drummer and everything and they want to make the announcement with the release of the dvd and maybe thats what the "waiting for  management and record label" thing means.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1608 on: January 04, 2011, 07:02:41 AM »
Mangini Update:
Currently: I have just shipped of my drum tracks for 6 songs for guitarist Isao Fujita (who I did a short tour of Japan with in 2010.) They're my best playing to date ;) Can't wait for them to be heard. My new 'leg' is coming alone so well but slowly. I have posted some new videos on youtube. One is a solo from October 2010, the last recorded one for me. You can see/hear a huge difference in my groove; it is because my upper leg muscles are now working as they should've all along. Anyway, I will be now revamping the studio before my next sessions start in about two weeks. I have to spend time working with and learning the new Pearl E-Pro Electronic kit & brain. Lots of videos and website ideas are on cue...

--------------

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1609 on: January 04, 2011, 07:09:50 AM »
Next session?
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.