23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1059053 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #1540 on: December 30, 2010, 08:30:05 PM »
Lang auditioned.

Show me a video of it.

Not because I need proof, but because it would be amazing to see.
I don't have video of it, but I know one of his students, who heard it from, well, Lang.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1541 on: December 30, 2010, 08:31:07 PM »
Lang auditioned.

Show me a video of it.

Not because I need proof, but because it would be amazing to see.
I don't have video of it, but I know one of his students, who heard it from, well, Lang.

I don't doubt you.

But I want a video of it. Now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1542 on: December 30, 2010, 08:32:39 PM »
So do I.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #1543 on: December 30, 2010, 08:33:22 PM »
So do I.

So go get one. You're hef. Just walk up to someone and demand it.

Look angry or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1544 on: December 30, 2010, 09:24:58 PM »

Offline jazzfusionrocker

« Reply #1545 on: December 30, 2010, 11:23:30 PM »
Okay, just wanted to do a quick chime in. Mangini is the drummer no doubt. Doesn't anyone remember that whole Blabbermouth article on Charlie Zeleny a while back the end of November? Everyone thought that he was the guy and that he posted his audition videos and all that. The audition videos were spot on though and I could see why people think he got the gig since he plays with Jordan. Right as soon as everyone thought he was the drummer he came right out and said he didn't even get asked to audition. Blabbermouth is an extremely sketchy source and from the recent Marco press, its probably just more unsubstantiated hot air that they are spewing. Virgil, Marco and Lang I truly believe are out of the running and believe its either Mangini or Aquiles since they need a heavy hitter, big name and a guy who has actually played real metal before (not that play fast and trigger stuff that Marco played).  ;)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1546 on: December 30, 2010, 11:29:34 PM »
I think there is still no way in hell Priester was even invited to audition and I'm not really sure why people are actually convinced he auditioned in the first place.

I do agree that Blabbermouth is a sketchy source, but I still hold hope for Marco.  Incredible chemistry with Jordan, can play metal, can great complex grooves out of samples from cartoons and Monty Python...I think he'd be perfect for the "musical drumming" that MP brought while bringing his own flair to the new album.  Unless for some reason the other guys bonded with Mangini better, then he's the perfect package.  If they did pick Mangini, we'll have to hope the band's judgment was sound and that DT can bring out the best in him.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1547 on: December 30, 2010, 11:30:11 PM »
It's not Priester.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1548 on: December 30, 2010, 11:32:25 PM »
Mangini is the drummer no doubt.

I was expecting the rest of your post to try and back up that statement, but alas...
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #1549 on: December 31, 2010, 12:08:23 AM »
The signs point to Mangini i think.
I would be very surprised if it's not him.
Marco seems perfect fit also,but the Mind Meld concert and him playing with some other band makes me think that he is not the chosen one.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1550 on: December 31, 2010, 12:12:53 AM »
That priester guy would be SUCH a disappointment.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1551 on: December 31, 2010, 12:18:42 AM »
Marco Minnemann would be my favourite choice. But I still think it will be Mike Mangini. Not that I would mind him, though.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1552 on: December 31, 2010, 12:21:53 AM »

I still can't believe people started throwing his name around. Even for rumours, he's such an odd choice.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1553 on: December 31, 2010, 02:32:17 AM »
Marco Minnemann would be my favourite choice. But I still think it will be Mike Mangini. Not that I would mind him, though.

Thanks triad. This has been my opinion since Virgil Donati and Bobby Jarzombek fell off the list.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #1554 on: December 31, 2010, 04:33:24 AM »
Sorry guys, by "both" in my earlier post I meant Lang and Minnemann.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #1555 on: December 31, 2010, 05:21:40 AM »
okay okay... so no leaks... but I;m still 99% confident because someone took those random thoughts and tossed them over to Mr Occam who said, "That's right bitches! It's my razor!"

:neverusethis:
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline SixDegrees

« Reply #1556 on: December 31, 2010, 05:24:14 AM »
okay okay... so no leaks... but I;m still 99% confident because someone took those random thoughts and tossed them over to Mr Occam who said, "That's right bitches! It's my razor!"

Occam never had to deal with speculating DT fans. We don't like 4/4 or simple explanations.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1557 on: December 31, 2010, 05:36:56 AM »

I still can't believe people started throwing his name around. Even for rumours, he's such an odd choice.
This completely.  In fact, he is the ONE guy that's been mentioned that if it turned out that he really WAS the band's choice, I would start worrying about their mental faculties.

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #1558 on: December 31, 2010, 05:43:43 AM »

Priester is an incredible and sick drummer, however I do not think he speaks english.

Offline Funbass

« Reply #1559 on: December 31, 2010, 06:16:10 AM »
hi guys

isnīt bmouth part of Roadrunner records (dtīs label)? isnīt reliable enough? i would thought so.

my choice Minnemann
i think he would give DT some new direction heīs also a very good composer. hope itīs him.
i wouldnīt care whether mangini or lang would be on the DT drummerīs chair tough.

wathever, hope they make the announcement any time soon.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1560 on: December 31, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
Welcome funbass! But no, it isn't reliable. Please read a couple of pages back, it's in there somewhere. I believe (like wiki) people can post everything on bmouth.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1561 on: December 31, 2010, 06:38:58 AM »
RoadRunner have a specific disclaimer explaining that Blabbermouth is run entirely independently. I don't know why they continue to host it to be honest, it just harms their integrity as a record label.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #1562 on: December 31, 2010, 06:44:14 AM »
I think we are all in for a bit of shock when they announce the new drummer..  :-\

But I'm still as excited as a kid at christmas who's about to recieve his/her presents.  ;D
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline teoevans

« Reply #1563 on: December 31, 2010, 07:22:19 AM »
Thomas Lang: Broken foot
Marco Minnemann: On tour with PTSD
Aquiles Priester: Language Barrier

Sadly everything is pointing to Mangini....

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1564 on: December 31, 2010, 07:33:17 AM »
Marco Minnemann: On tour with PTSD
Aquiles Priester: Language Barrier

Sadly everything is pointing to Mangini....

I would have no problem with Manigni.  I like his style.  But, mabye the reason the announcement has not come yet is because of the things that you posted about the other drummers.  Mabye.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Funbass

« Reply #1565 on: December 31, 2010, 07:46:45 AM »
Marco played With JR on dec-15.
that rang a bell for me, and i thought, well, bmouth could be right after all.
then we received the news that he will be recording an album and touring with the italian band. so...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1566 on: December 31, 2010, 07:55:51 AM »
Again, the tour for Minnemann isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, as the timing of it most likely won't interfere with either DT's recording time or their tour schedule.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1567 on: December 31, 2010, 07:58:39 AM »
Well, since the news is being delayed and delayed, I'm starting to believe Thomas might be the guy, and they're just waiting for his foot to heal.

Offline Jalis

• ... I play bass... 4-string bass...
« Reply #1568 on: December 31, 2010, 08:00:13 AM »
Well, since the news is being delayed and delayed, I'm starting to believe Thomas might be the guy, and they're just waiting for his foot to heal.

Ah come on ... I think everyone is reading too much into every little detail...
I almost play like JMX

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1569 on: December 31, 2010, 08:09:07 AM »
Do not agree. Announcing has nothing to do with a foot. I'm siding with that it's a holiday and that they need to be ready for the swarming press calls and coverage, which pretty much won't happen on a holiday. I bet this Monday we hear something (wild guess).

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #1570 on: December 31, 2010, 08:22:14 AM »
Is Thomas Lang's supposed fractured foot, actually been confirmed? He hasn't posted anything about it in any of he's websites, and he tweets just about everything and hasn't mentioned anything about this. And there is nothing about the cancellation of the Seattle Drum Boot Camp, on the official site, I would think that if it was actually cancelled they WOULD post something about it.

About Mangini... He sure is an awesome drummer, has a world record of being the fastest (though I could care less, about such claims as speed for the sake of speed does nothing for me) but I think I would be a bit dissapointed if he were the chosen one simply because, I have not heard anything from him that has impressed me, not even he's solos, I just don't see in him the creativity that someone like Lang or Minnemann would surely bring.

I guess other factors would come to play like personality, friendships etc, because if we were talking about technique and creativity alone, both Lang and Minnemann surpass Mangini by a lot.

About Aquiles Priester, he is a great drummer and if you guys have not heard he's work in Angra you are missing some great music and drumming, he wouldn't have any problems playing what Mike did on DT,however I don't think he even auditioned, I totally agree about the language barrier. Hey, maybe he is great at speaking english, but have any of you guys heard him speak it? here is some of Aquiles Priester's work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4J5rM--cws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDcdVfcPDaI&feature=related  PS. here he DOES look and sound like a Terminator! LOL

Offline teoevans

« Reply #1571 on: December 31, 2010, 09:22:20 AM »
I agree Priester is a great metal prog drummer... But I don't think that he auditioned.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #1572 on: December 31, 2010, 09:46:06 AM »

Occam never had to deal with speculating DT fans. We don't like 4/4 or simple explanations.

I don't think I have heard of an argument in 7/8 or 5/4 before. I'll add it to my list of things I must do before I die.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline LKap13

« Reply #1573 on: December 31, 2010, 11:15:54 AM »

Online Adami

« Reply #1574 on: December 31, 2010, 11:26:31 AM »
Again, the tour for Minnemann isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, as the timing of it most likely won't interfere with either DT's recording time or their tour schedule.

Has to learn at least 90 minutes of DT music. No matter how good of a drummer you are, that takes a bit of time. THen he has to spend sometime practicing it with the band to get all the cues and general familariarity down. I doubt he could do that in a few weeks.
fanticide.bandcamp.com