23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058842 times)

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #1295 on: December 19, 2010, 01:43:34 PM »
Not really.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1296 on: December 19, 2010, 01:51:22 PM »
Marco's birthday is on Friday. COINCIDENCE ?  :biggrin:

:facepalm: It's really getting irritating.

Except I'm clearly joking. . . .  :facepalm:

Well, I hate to break it to you, but you're not funny.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #1297 on: December 19, 2010, 02:21:03 PM »
Anyone else kinda hoping the new drummer isn't one of the guys we've been talking about?

Definitely. It would be more of a surprise if it isn't the guy everyone expects it to be. If it's the guy everyone expects, it'll be more of a "well no shit they picked him, now lets get on with our lives" as opposed to "Oh lawd no wai, diz is so sik i cant wait for teh new album", which I'd prefer.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1298 on: December 19, 2010, 02:29:52 PM »
Unless it's someone well-known, no.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #1299 on: December 19, 2010, 03:42:40 PM »
Just one thing. If Mike does come back... do we officially refer to him as Zombie Portnoy? ZMP instead of MP?

Offline farren

« Reply #1300 on: December 19, 2010, 03:46:08 PM »
Marco's birthday is on Friday. COINCIDENCE ?  :biggrin:

:facepalm: It's really getting irritating.

Except I'm clearly joking. . . .  :facepalm:

Well, I hate to break it to you, but you're not funny.
[unfunny picture]

Nope, still not funny.

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #1301 on: December 19, 2010, 03:53:21 PM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1302 on: December 19, 2010, 04:21:30 PM »
 :lol  My thoughts exactly...

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1303 on: December 19, 2010, 04:47:47 PM »
Just one thing. If Mike does come back... do we officially refer to him as Zombie Portnoy? ZMP instead of MP?
wut?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1304 on: December 19, 2010, 06:38:33 PM »
So Mangini surpassed Lang in the votes huh?

Lots of people have been changing their votes.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: December 20, 2010, 03:17:10 AM »

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1306 on: December 22, 2010, 02:12:16 AM »
ive been pulling for marco since day one.

anyone cool enough to rock a space suit with PG is alright with me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #1307 on: December 22, 2010, 05:51:31 AM »
ive been pulling for marco since day one.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1308 on: December 22, 2010, 07:59:22 AM »
A member on the Voices UK forum:

I was at a drum clinic with Virgil earlier this month and the promoter of same told me that Virgil did have a "try out" with the band and that they had some good jams together but didn't think that he could be a permanent member.  Virgil is writing a classical symphony at the moment and I think his head is in a entirely different place.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1309 on: December 22, 2010, 10:26:50 AM »
A member on the Voices UK forum:

I was at a drum clinic with Virgil earlier this month and the promoter of same told me that Virgil did have a "try out" with the band and that they had some good jams together but didn't think that he could be a permanent member.  Virgil is writing a classical symphony at the moment and I think his head is in a entirely different place.

Well I think we knew that Virgil was out of the running, but that classical symphony thing sounds pretty cool.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1310 on: December 22, 2010, 10:37:06 AM »
I really hope its Marco. he seems perfect for the band, and I like his style
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline LKap13

« Reply #1311 on: December 22, 2010, 09:20:08 PM »
I'm thinking the new drummer announcement will come in the form of a video recorded during their upcoming January studio sessions. The band will be in the studio playing Metropolis with their new drummer, and only then will we find out. This would be both good and bad. Good because we'd get an awesome vid of the new guy playing a DT song + new footage of DT playing DT; bad because it'd mean the news is a few weeks away. Just speculation though...

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #1312 on: December 22, 2010, 09:31:27 PM »
I would be surprised if they didn't announce him before entering the studio, but we're kind of running out of time. Anyone know if they're going in early or late January?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1313 on: December 22, 2010, 10:02:01 PM »
I would be surprised if they didn't announce him before entering the studio, but we're kind of running out of time. Anyone know if they're going in early or late January?
I was guessing somewhere between January 15th and January 29th. With JR and JLB doing that show in NYC on the 25th, they'll be in studio a little before that.  Similar to how they recorded Raw Dog
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1314 on: December 22, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
At this point, I really don't understand why the band is waiting this long.  JP said they wanted it to be perfect.  Unless there are major behind-the-scenes issues to work out, I don't see how this is anywhere near that expectation.

Casual fans of the band, who seem very un-confident about DT moving on, have to see all these events as a sign of weakness.  For those who follow DT more closely, there's very little from the band other than "we swear this will be awesome."

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the DT fanbase doesn't seem to be in the best of moods.  I don't see how it's beneficial to the band to do nothing about that mood, and then extend the wait for the new drummer announcement so long that their fans become disinterested as they're unhappy.

Why do you want to fade away from the forefront of people's minds leaving a bad taste in their mouths?

Possibly worse, the band's getting close enough to the studio sessions that someone's going to snap a candid photo of the guy going in and out of work.  Isn't that the worst way for this to go down?

It's certainly becoming more and more possible every day.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1315 on: December 22, 2010, 10:11:55 PM »
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the DT fanbase doesn't seem to be in the best of moods.  I don't see how it's beneficial to the band to do nothing about that mood, and then extend the wait for the new drummer announcement so long that their fans become disinterested as they're unhappy.

This. Even here things seem so tense lately. It's like the fanbase is cannibalizing itself while we wait for the guys to get their stuff together.

Offline Major Thirteenth

• He has his father's eyes... Gomez, take those out of his mouth.
« Reply #1316 on: December 22, 2010, 11:22:29 PM »
At this point, I really don't understand why the band is waiting this long.  JP said they wanted it to be perfect.  Unless there are major behind-the-scenes issues to work out, I don't see how this is anywhere near that expectation.

Casual fans of the band, who seem very un-confident about DT moving on, have to see all these events as a sign of weakness.  For those who follow DT more closely, there's very little from the band other than "we swear this will be awesome."

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the DT fanbase doesn't seem to be in the best of moods.  I don't see how it's beneficial to the band to do nothing about that mood, and then extend the wait for the new drummer announcement so long that their fans become disinterested as they're unhappy.

Why do you want to fade away from the forefront of people's minds leaving a bad taste in their mouths?

Possibly worse, the band's getting close enough to the studio sessions that someone's going to snap a candid photo of the guy going in and out of work.  Isn't that the worst way for this to go down?
 certainly becoming more and more possible every day.

Waiting this long is consistent with behind the scenes lawsuits. Once lawyers are involved, things slow down and proceed very carefully. The website revisions and forum post modifications are consistent with careful consideration of legal implications. The "pushed out" vs "left the band" scenarios are key to the ultimate terms of a financial settlement. So announcing a new drummer prematurely could be hazardous to the ultimate settlement.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1317 on: December 22, 2010, 11:29:31 PM »
Waiting this long is consistent with behind the scenes lawsuits. Once lawyers are involved, things slow down and proceed very carefully. The website revisions and forum post modifications are consistent with careful consideration of legal implications. The "pushed out" vs "left the band" scenarios are key to the ultimate terms of a financial settlement. So announcing a new drummer prematurely could be hazardous to the ultimate settlement.

Based on your posts you're either in the know or a good enough writer to fake it.
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: December 23, 2010, 01:22:50 AM »

Based on your posts you're either in the know or a good enough writer to fake it.

Hm. This is a good point. Major Thirteenth definitely isn't a DT member, though. I've seen their online posts and none of the DT guys are really good enough writers to pull off something like this. Of course we don't know about Myung as he's not active online at all.

I think Major likely belongs in one of the following categories:

1.) An online community member "in the know" letting their hair down (like a Wey).
2.) An attorney or paralegal involved and closet fan.
3.) Another person close to the band, family member, personal friend, etc.
4.) MP's new attorney, Bosk1  ;) (working on the promise of increased TA output)
5.) A Bag of Hot Air

Either way his posts have been very worthwhile.

As far as who the new DT "meanie" is going to be, I totally put my money on Jordan. He looks like he could handle a room pretty well if he wanted to.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 01:30:41 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1319 on: December 23, 2010, 02:36:42 AM »
From the outside the case about whether MP left or was pushed out seems cut and dried. His statements said he LEFT the band. Everyone else was ready to work and he said he wasn't coming in. They said you are. He left. Hardly OJ is it?
And also, the timeline they were working to had been agreed and probably set up by MP earlier.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1320 on: December 23, 2010, 02:52:51 AM »
 :corn   (On the maj13th issue)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #1321 on: December 23, 2010, 03:45:37 AM »
I just frickin' want more DT.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1322 on: December 23, 2010, 04:12:03 AM »

It's certainly becoming more and more possible every day.
Reap, honestly, I'm not getting any of this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ice9ine

« Reply #1323 on: December 23, 2010, 05:03:24 AM »
Didn't James make a comment on Twitter alng the lines of "I'd love to tell you but I cant, but I can tell you our new drummer will blow your mind'?

Ok, I am probably reading too much into this, and I am not a language/ english expert.

I read 'he will blow your mind' as if it is someone we don't know or are not expecting, not one of the obvious choices.

Lets say it was a new guitarist we are waiting for, AND JP was replaced by Steve Vai (I am pulling names out of a hat for arguments sake), but we didnt know it was steve vai as we dont know the new drummer yet...but by saying.."wait till you see him he will blow your mind' if it WAS steve vai would be a bit...duh? really?

Ok lets say its Lang...we know he will blow our mind so your not tellin us anything we dont already know James which is why i think it could be a dark horse, rank outsider. Priester would qualify because not many know of him.

Anyway, maybe ive just discovered that steve vai is the new drummer i dunno.

I crossed the crooked step.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1324 on: December 23, 2010, 05:05:32 AM »
I read 'he will blow your mind' more in the sense of technical skill, his skills and chops will blow our minds.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ice9ine

« Reply #1325 on: December 23, 2010, 05:09:41 AM »
Exactly...dont we know that all of the 'seven' will do that if they were chosen?

I just feel it could be an unknown or at least, lesser known from that comment. Almost like an undiscovered prodigy.....who knows.
I crossed the crooked step.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1326 on: December 23, 2010, 05:52:46 AM »
Priester is the least impressive of the ones I've seen.  I really hope it isn't him.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1327 on: December 23, 2010, 06:01:22 AM »

From a P/R standpoint, the new drummer situation has been mismanaged.
Over and over again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1328 on: December 23, 2010, 06:04:30 AM »

From a P/R standpoint, the new drummer situation has been mismanaged.

How is that Reap? All bands get their eggs in a basket first before anouncing a new band member.  I think we're all just anxious.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1329 on: December 23, 2010, 06:16:22 AM »
In the last two months, just about anything has been mismanaged :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."