23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058910 times)

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #1225 on: December 16, 2010, 05:53:31 PM »
You forgot me.

I'm sorry, you weren't on Jacob's list. He won't come after you and take your web page down. You can't force fate by taking down your own page... our lives course correct. In the end, you will find your way.

;D

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1226 on: December 16, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
4+8+15+16+23+42=108

It's been 100 days since MP left DT. That means 8 more days until the announcement!

:dangerwillrobinson:
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #1227 on: December 16, 2010, 06:45:06 PM »
4+8+15+16+23+42=108

It's been 100 days since MP left DT. That means 8 more days until the announcement!

Christmas Eve. Bam!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1228 on: December 16, 2010, 06:48:50 PM »
Whoa, I didn't even think of that. :lol

AND DECEMBER 25TH IS A MULTIPLE OF 5 LIKE ON OCTAVARIUM!!! :omg:

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1229 on: December 16, 2010, 06:49:16 PM »
4+8+15+16+23+42=108

You cracked the code.... soon the answers will be questions, and questions will be the anwers.

we shall witness!!!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1230 on: December 16, 2010, 06:52:07 PM »
And we'll finally figure out how to get off this goddamned island.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1231 on: December 16, 2010, 06:52:54 PM »
Holy shit. 100 days? Seems like yesterday.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1232 on: December 16, 2010, 07:03:58 PM »
4 - Minnemann
8 - Lang
15 - Zombie Portnoy
16 - Moore
23 - Mangini
42 - ?!!??!

Who will it be? Tune in next week on ABC.
When was Mangini ruled out?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #1233 on: December 16, 2010, 07:05:13 PM »
If they announce it on December 24th I'll... do something.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: December 16, 2010, 07:43:22 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if ainamatore is just full of hot air. Yes he claimed to be JP's brother in law, but JP probably wouldn't tell things of such secretive nature to someone immature enough to go blabbing them online. So even if he is JP's brother-in-law, JP would probably be as thankful about him being silenced as those people who want him to back up his statements are  ;D Furthermore, he's always this matter-o-fact, even though he's usually wrong.

::thinks about PR posts::

::cringes::

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: December 16, 2010, 07:45:33 PM »
@ ZirconBlue: It's true that part of the lyrics of RTK are about Kevin Moore. However, it's only the latter verses ("I remember when you were the quiet type") not the first ones, which are more about the music industry.

You are correct that the beginning part of the song is about Jim Pitulski, but I think the dividing line is earlier in the song.  I don't see why Jim would ever have any publishing rights to "keep".

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1236 on: December 16, 2010, 07:49:02 PM »
@ ZirconBlue: It's true that part of the lyrics of RTK are about Kevin Moore. However, it's only the latter verses ("I remember when you were the quiet type") not the first ones, which are more about the music industry.

You are correct that the beginning part of the song is about Jim Pitulski, but I think the dividing line is earlier in the song.  I don't see why Jim would ever have any publishing rights to "keep".
Space Dye Vest is about falling in love with Jim Pitulski. Totally heterosexual man love.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1237 on: December 16, 2010, 08:39:11 PM »
As far as ainamotore, Fiery Winds and Skydivingninja pretty much nailed it.  I don't care who he is--his posts were inappropriate, and he refused to tone it down.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: December 16, 2010, 09:12:42 PM »
Maybe I'm going soft, but while you are correct, I've also seen quite a few genuine "people of importance" shouted down as impostors by smug internet nerds.

I remember a few years ago, when Octavarium was about due for release, and some fella on DT.net insisted that he'd heard it and shared a few tidbits.

He was addressed very rudely, and eventually he left, saying something along the lines of "you'll be laughing on the other side of your faces when you listen to the title track and hear James LaBrie screaming 'TRAPPED INSIDE THIS OCTAVARIUM'."

Seem to recall it was met with general eyerolling. "Don't let the door hit you on the way out," kinda thing.
But that stuff is more plausible than someone claiming to be JP's brother-in-law, especially if it was around the same time reviewers were getting their copies of the album.

Plus I'm knackered right now, so hey. My judgment's not spectacular.
Someone photoshop this quote onto a serene nature image!

Offline LTE777

« Reply #1239 on: December 17, 2010, 04:11:41 AM »
I honestly hope its Mangini, i have been a fan of his for such a long time (Since Vai) but I truly think (although the other drummers are great) he has a personality and playing style that really suites what DT would need as a drummer.  He is a groover, cocky, funny, respectful, and he looks like he has heaps of fun playing.
 He is a big personality and I think this is what sets him apart from the rest.

Check out Fire Garden Suite by Steve Vai if anyone has any doubts about his creative playing...also the JLB solo albums (Mull, Mull2 & Elements).

I wish it was Donati, Land or Minneman etc but at the end of the day, I can see no other replacement than Mike Mangini....here's hoping!!!

Check this out if you cant imagine him being perfect for DT11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFUJSUJBJks&feature=fvsr

Also, its a big call but Fire Garden Suite can easily be a contender on drums to Dance of Eternity.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1240 on: December 17, 2010, 05:51:08 AM »
Speaking of Mangini, can someone recommend ONE album that he plays on which shows off his skills the best?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Funkafonik

« Reply #1241 on: December 17, 2010, 06:02:55 AM »
Speaking of Mangini, can someone recommend ONE album that he plays on which shows off his skills the best?

He still has to record something he had a hand in the songwriting besides Extreme's 3 songs on WFTP... but try any live bootlegs of Tribe Of Judah & Extreme ('95 tour), and Steve Vai's Alive in an Ultra World.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1242 on: December 17, 2010, 06:09:37 AM »

He still has to record something he had a hand in the songwriting besides Extreme's 3 songs on WFTP... but try any live bootlegs of Tribe Of Judah & Extreme ('95 tour), and Steve Vai's Alive in an Ultra World.
I'm more likely to try some Vai stuff, as Extreme does nothing for me..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1243 on: December 17, 2010, 07:47:24 AM »
Maybe I'm going soft, but while you are correct, I've also seen quite a few genuine "people of importance" shouted down as impostors by smug internet nerds.

I remember a few years ago, when Octavarium was about due for release, and some fella on DT.net insisted that he'd heard it and shared a few tidbits.

He was addressed very rudely, and eventually he left, saying something along the lines of "you'll be laughing on the other side of your faces when you listen to the title track and hear James LaBrie screaming 'TRAPPED INSIDE THIS OCTAVARIUM'."

Seem to recall it was met with general eyerolling. "Don't let the door hit you on the way out," kinda thing.
But that stuff is more plausible than someone claiming to be JP's brother-in-law, especially if it was around the same time reviewers were getting their copies of the album.
True! But people do post online.

One thing I remember is... er, there's a website, could be reddit or something? I don't really use those kinda sites, but one of them does something along the lines of "Ask a something." So it might be "ask a surgeon" and then a member who's a surgeon would answer a bunch of medical questions, or "ask a 70-year-old" and a seventy-year-old would answer all the members' questions about Werthers' Originals and retirement, etc. etc. "Ask a member of the Doctor Who Production Team" was one of them, and some guy started dropping loads of cool hints about the next series.

He was essentially burnt as a witch. He was also vindicated by history.

JP's brother-in-law is a little more of a long shot, but I keep seeing that kind of thing over and over again, so I've kinda started to err on the side of caution, lately. I'd say there's a good chance he's making stuff up. Very good chance. But it's not impossible. I don't think it's entirely implausible, either.

I think... that what I'm saying is that I don't necessarily think it's true - I'm not ready to fall for it just yet - but I do think it could be true. I don't really have any reason to doubt him, just yet. And if he's a liar, he seems like a clever one.

Someone photoshop this quote onto a serene nature image!
If this becomes a "thing" I'm going to have to ask to start taking royalties.

...Or copyrighting all the awful cod bollocks I constantly spout.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1244 on: December 17, 2010, 08:00:39 AM »

Elements of Persuasion.

Something I thought of.

I would say that both DS and JR have done by far their best work in DT.  JLB's abilities as a vocalist were fully developed in the context of the band.

Basically - it's not a given that Mangini will be exactly as good in DT as he was beforehand.  The band seems to have a knack for bringing out the best in its members.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1245 on: December 17, 2010, 08:39:54 AM »
I would say that both DS and JR have done by far their best work in DT.  JLB's abilities as a vocalist were fully developed in the context of the band.

Basically - it's not a given that Mangini will be exactly as good in DT as he was beforehand.  The band seems to have a knack for bringing out the best in its members.
Personally I'd say that from a keyboard standpoint DS has improved since then, but DT was certainly the best thing he'd done up to that point. Same with JR, as you say.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #1246 on: December 17, 2010, 09:01:02 AM »
I honestly hope its Mangini, i have been a fan of his for such a long time (Since Vai) but I truly think (although the other drummers are great) he has a personality and playing style that really suites what DT would need as a drummer.  He is a groover, cocky, funny, respectful, and he looks like he has heaps of fun playing.
 He is a big personality and I think this is what sets him apart from the rest.

Check out Fire Garden Suite by Steve Vai if anyone has any doubts about his creative playing...also the JLB solo albums (Mull, Mull2 & Elements).

I wish it was Donati, Land or Minneman etc but at the end of the day, I can see no other replacement than Mike Mangini....here's hoping!!!

Also, its a big call but Fire Garden Suite can easily be a contender on drums to Dance of Eternity.

I've seen all the Mangini videos that have been posted on the forum, and I honestly don't see the creativity side... to me it's very "normal" nothing to write home about. Mangini is incredibly fast but that's it, at least from what I've heard so far... If he is indeed the chosen one I really hope he steps it up. To me he is not in the same league as Lang or Minnemann, as you guys know from my posts I'm a big supporter of Lang, but having seen Minnemann's chemistry with Jordan and his creative drumming I would be perfectly happy if they went with Minnemann.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: December 17, 2010, 10:42:49 AM »

That video did absolutely nothing for me, but I'm checking out Fire Garden Suite now. Definitely better so far.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #1248 on: December 17, 2010, 11:08:25 AM »
fire garden suite is sick! although Vai probably did come up with all the drum parts for it. still a great performance!

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #1249 on: December 17, 2010, 11:21:18 AM »
Personally I'd say that from a keyboard standpoint DS has improved since then, but DT was certainly the best thing he'd done up to that point.
Yeah, definitely. Derek didn't get to use his full potential in DT.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1250 on: December 17, 2010, 12:14:51 PM »
The more I see of Minnemann, the more I hope he's the new drummer. The guy has everything. As for Mangini, he's very technical and all, but his style doesn't click for me.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline TL

« Reply #1251 on: December 17, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
I'm still hoping for Lang. Minnemann and Mangini would certainly be solid choices too though.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: December 17, 2010, 12:59:26 PM »
The amount I could care less for DT is becoming smaller by the day, but this speculation has me kind of excited.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1253 on: December 17, 2010, 01:03:27 PM »
The amount I could care less for DT is becoming smaller by the day, but this speculation has me kind of excited.

Wow, that was a difficult sentence to figure out. But yeah, I feel you.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #1254 on: December 17, 2010, 01:06:27 PM »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1256 on: December 17, 2010, 01:43:11 PM »
Old: Bobby Jarzombek doing Bambi (but with full band)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRF9NsC2D_U
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #1257 on: December 17, 2010, 01:50:58 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIROxGad9X8&feature=related

///////////thread

That was awesome... Minnemann is impressive, I'm torn between him and Lang... For those who have not listened to Lang on a band setting check this out:  https://www.myspace.com/officialstork/music  Check the songs... Loki , Metal Fatigue, Nautilus... you will not regret it!

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1258 on: December 17, 2010, 02:59:16 PM »

Love that video, and it's a great track even without the video. Don't forget The Cereal Mouse too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RztR4E12dGU

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: December 17, 2010, 02:59:26 PM »

yeah that always amazes me, as does this classic; 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RztR4E12dGU
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.