23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058919 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #1085 on: December 15, 2010, 03:09:47 AM »
Anyone considered Sean Reinhart?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #1086 on: December 15, 2010, 03:26:30 AM »

He's working on a new album with Cynic now, so that seems unlikely. I think he'd fit in well in DT though.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #1087 on: December 15, 2010, 04:31:48 AM »
OK so I'm not sure why this isn't getting much mention: Rudess and Minnemann...

Likely because it's completely irrelevant to the issue of who the new drummer will be.
oh yeah forgot minnemann wasn't in fact a drummer who is a likely candidate for the drum throne, and that it is highly unlikely that there is any correlation between this event and the topic of a new drummer. My bad. Please: resume taking peoples sentences out of its intended context.
Its in 12 hours now. It will be interesting to see the chemistry between these guys, regardless of whether minnemann is the drummer or not. psyched!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: December 15, 2010, 05:39:54 AM »

Likely because it's completely irrelevant to the issue of who the new drummer will be.

Not entirely.  This whole thread is mostly baseless speculation and overanalyzing everyone's twitter posts.  It is entirely possible there's some kind of DT-related future with Marco.  Personally, I hope there is.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1089 on: December 15, 2010, 06:22:00 AM »

Not entirely.  This whole thread is mostly baseless speculation and overanalyzing everyone's twitter posts.  It is entirely possible there's some kind of DT-related future with Marco.  Personally, I hope there is.

i hope as well

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1090 on: December 15, 2010, 06:52:09 AM »
lol its funny that Richard Christy is on the poll list.

its hard to take him seriously when you listen to the Howard Stern show every day

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1091 on: December 15, 2010, 08:09:11 AM »
One crazy little thought about the whole drummer issue : the guys are waiting for everything to be settled before making an announcement, right? What if it was MP who didn't want to let go and was making things difficult, legally I mean? Note that it's just pure speculation as almost everything in this thread.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1092 on: December 15, 2010, 08:11:09 AM »
I doubt it.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1093 on: December 15, 2010, 08:39:17 AM »
One crazy little thought about the whole drummer issue : the guys are waiting for everything to be settled before making an announcement, right? What if it was MP who didn't want to let go and was making things difficult, legally I mean? Note that it's just pure speculation as almost everything in this thread.

B.Lee
lol no
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1094 on: December 15, 2010, 08:52:20 AM »
The Roger Waters disease? Let's hope not.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1095 on: December 15, 2010, 09:50:07 AM »
The Roger Waters disease? Let's hope not.

I hope not as well, it was just speculation.
On topic, it's too bad Bobby Jarzombek wasn't available at the time of the auditions. This guy is simply crazy!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1096 on: December 15, 2010, 12:59:25 PM »
I don't know what Mike could be holding up legally, though I admittedly know very little about how this kind of stuff works. Mike has a right to royalties based on anything produced when he was a part of Dream Theater, but nothing going forward I would think.

Online gborland

« Reply #1097 on: December 15, 2010, 01:30:22 PM »
I don't know what Mike could be holding up legally, though I admittedly know very little about how this kind of stuff works. Mike has a right to royalties based on anything produced when he was a part of Dream Theater, but nothing going forward I would think.

I remember reading in various interviews over the years that DT members' contracts are such that they relinquish all royalty rights when they leave the band. It all goes into the central DT pot.
Graham Borland

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1098 on: December 15, 2010, 01:47:52 PM »

I remember reading in various interviews over the years that DT members' contracts are such that they relinquish all royalty rights when they leave the band. It all goes into the central DT pot.
Perhaps in songs that list "Dream Theater" as the composer. But what about songs or lyrics written specifically by Mike? He's not entitled to royalties The Best of Times is played on the radio somewhere? Seems odd to me though entirely possible.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1099 on: December 15, 2010, 01:53:17 PM »

Perhaps in songs that list "Dream Theater" as the composer. But what about songs or lyrics written specifically by Mike? He's not entitled to royalties The Best of Times is played on the radio somewhere? Seems odd to me though entirely possible.

I... don't know.

I forget who described it, but gborland is essentially right.  All of the money DT makes goes into one giant DT fund, and the band members are paid monthly salaries out of that giant pot.

So if MP leaves the band, he's obviously not entitled to that pot.  Does this mean he gets no royalties from anything he's done with the band now that he's gone!?

A simple question to check this would be to see if KM, and DS get money from their DT releases.

Gborland might be onto the biggest unknown subplot of this whole thing.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #1100 on: December 15, 2010, 02:51:03 PM »
I guess this is why mp is so pissed off right now!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1101 on: December 15, 2010, 02:52:17 PM »

He's working on a new album with Cynic now, so that seems unlikely. I think he'd fit in well in DT though.

Yeah true.  I knew him and Paul were focused on Cynic and didn't think there would be a chance, but he is amazing and definitely would work well with DT.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1102 on: December 15, 2010, 03:19:38 PM »

Lots of things seem to be going on in MP world.  I find his not touring with Avenged Sevenfold after this year to be very disconcertingly unexpected.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: December 15, 2010, 03:33:07 PM »

Lots of things seem to be going on in MP world.  I find his not touring with Avenged Sevenfold after this year to be very disconcertingly unexpected.

When MP quit I'm sure he realized what financial repercussion it would have.  Not being in the band no longer entitles him to money made by the band (assuming that is the arrangement they have)
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #1104 on: December 15, 2010, 03:40:19 PM »
He's like the world's most famous drummer or something, I'll sure he'll work out a way not to work at Burger King. Not to mention he probably made like five billion billion dollars touring with A7X.

He made a choice, I'm sure he thought it was a good idea to quit rather than try to go on directly to a new album, and he probably thought there was no way the band could refuse him since he was some kind of defacto leader. Some times your choices are wrong, but I'm sure we all realized from the moment the news came that he made a mistake leaving. He could've kept his ego (oh no!) under control, and none of this would've happened, because I'm sure it wasn't just the desire to take a break that led to this. There was an unspoken consensus starting amongst a lot of fans that he was becoming a bad influence on the music, and even though most of us didn't say it out loud for fear of being banned by our respective forums, I think this is clear now.

He was the member with the blue braided beard, the tattoos, he was the one who took to communicating with the press alone, he became the face of DT, etc. He was the John Romero, the Roger Waters, the Russell Hammond of DT. You can't tell me nobody noticed there was an imbalance in the band, and one person is very unlikely to be right all the time in the choices they make for a group of people, especially when it involves their careers.

I hate being dramatic, but it's just my opinion. Honestly, he was the sole reason I literally stopped listening to DT after being a devoted, hardcore fan for years. Now I feel so excited to see what happens next.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1105 on: December 15, 2010, 03:55:54 PM »
Mike is entitled to royalties to any song he wrote lyrics to or played on.

It's just the way the Music Industry works.

P.R.S pays an artist every time a song they played on or wrote is played anywhere i.e. Internet, Radio, Shop, TV etc...

You also get royalties from similar organisations for just being a guest musician on an album/ song.

Every time that song/ album is *physically* duplicated at the production plant - they pay out.

Mike has written a LOT of lyrics and played on a LOT of songs on different albums.

If he's smart - he's got all that streaming into his bank account.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: December 15, 2010, 05:01:04 PM »

If that's true, then Kevin Moore must be damn close to being destitute.  I figured those PMU royalties would help him out a bunch, but apparently they haven't. 

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: December 15, 2010, 05:58:44 PM »

If that's true, then Kevin Moore must be damn close to being destitute.  I figured those PMU royalties would help him out a bunch, but apparently they haven't. 

Remember the line from "Raise the Knife"

"now he keeps the Publishing"

That's a reference to KM keeping the publishing rights that MP apparently thought he shouldn't have.  I understand that there's a comeback line from KM on a an OSI song referring to the "leaving member contract".

So, clearly there's something in the band members' contracts on what happens when they leave the band.  I'm pretty certain that they don't just suddenly lose all royalties or whatever.

The reference to the band being payed a salary out of a central pot of money is true, but I don't think that has any bearing on former members.

Offline TL

« Reply #1108 on: December 15, 2010, 06:11:54 PM »
Looking at Raise The Knife, this section is especially ironic now;
Quote from: Raise The Knife
I'll take the blame for these things that I say
'Cause I had the heart and the will and the courage to stay
Every day
I won't walk away

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1109 on: December 15, 2010, 07:21:59 PM »

Remember the line from "Raise the Knife"

"now he keeps the Publishing"

That's a reference to KM keeping the publishing rights that MP apparently thought he shouldn't have.  I understand that there's a comeback line from KM on a an OSI song referring to the "leaving member contract".

So, clearly there's something in the band members' contracts on what happens when they leave the band.  I'm pretty certain that they don't just suddenly lose all royalties or whatever.

The reference to the band being payed a salary out of a central pot of money is true, but I don't think that has any bearing on former members.

IIRC, former members were paid a certain amount of money so they would forfeit any royalties from any release.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1110 on: December 15, 2010, 11:19:04 PM »
@ ZirconBlue: It's true that part of the lyrics of RTK are about Kevin Moore. However, it's only the latter verses ("I remember when you were the quiet type") not the first ones, which are more about the music industry.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ainamotore

« Reply #1111 on: December 15, 2010, 11:25:56 PM »

Mike is making it very very difficult. The difficulties are commensurate in magnitude with what you would expect from a personality who would expect 4 members of a working band to stop working while he takes a multi-year "break".

Think of outlaws holding up a stagecoach and you'll have some idea of what is going on.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #1112 on: December 15, 2010, 11:38:09 PM »

Mike is making it very very difficult. The difficulties are commensurate in magnitude with what you would expect from a personality who would expect 4 members of a working band to stop working while he takes a multi-year "break".

Think of outlaws holding up a stagecoach and you'll have some idea of what is going on.

Is this actually what is holding the hold up with the new drummer? this is a pretty full-on accusation. I think Portnoy would exercise good will to allow the other band members to continue, not to hold them back. Although, its understandable in the case involving the issue of royalties and other legal things of that nature. He's entitled to a fair go, consarnit!
So if he is holding them back, i doubt it's intentionally to prevent DT from moving forward.

Offline ainamotore

« Reply #1113 on: December 15, 2010, 11:51:16 PM »
Is this actually what is holding the hold up with the new drummer? this is a pretty full-on accusation. I think Portnoy would exercise good will to allow the other band members to continue, not to hold them back. Although, its understandable in the case involving the issue of royalties and other legal things of that nature. He's entitled to a fair go, consarnit!
So if he is holding them back, i doubt it's intentionally to prevent DT from moving forward.

There is no hold up with the new drummer. That announcement will be coming very soon, however there is a mess to clean up and good will has been replaced by will of another kind.

Offline popol

« Reply #1114 on: December 16, 2010, 01:50:59 AM »
I think it would be fair that Mike keeps get his share of royalties. That whole contract thing is kinda weird. I am generally under the impression that when someone has song writing credits, they don't have to sell them or give them up once they leave a band...

I really hope the new drummer is Marco Minnemann.

Yes, Mangini is very fast, and I'm impressed by his technical abilities, but I feel like Marco is way beyond him creatively and musically. Mangini's playing with Annihilator isn't very special. Dave Lombardo could've done much much better.

IMHO, the only thing that really matters when it comes to a drummer is what he plays, in the context of the song. Now what he's able to play.

I'm not too impressed with Lang either. His solos are insane but the few videos I saw of him where he played actual songs were pretty boring.

However, I don't doubt that whoever the new DT drummer is, he'll find a way someone to show off his abilities because DT's music more than likely calls for it.

Mike may not be the most technical drummer on earth, but I've never heard someone like him who's constantly all over the place without overplaying. For instance, take a song like Misunderstood, it not much complicated by DT standards, but the drums ain't that simple.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #1115 on: December 16, 2010, 02:53:24 AM »
^ I agree with you about Thomas Lang. I have never been impressed with him at all, with the exception of some drumming ideas I saw him do on his DVD "creative control". But as an artist, he's not up to scratch with other drummers such as Minnemann; who has played with many musicians (I need not name artists. Do the comparisons for yourself: check out who Lang and Minnemann have played with and differentiate).

Mangini is fantastic, but the only thing that bugs me is those one armed fills that he does (alternating between left and right hands, with bursts of notes with each arm). It's sounds bloody fast! but at the same time too linear. And it wouldn't bug me at all if he didn't do them 60% of all fills.

I'm not going to harp on about Minnemann anymore. His performance with JR really spoke for itself... versatile, dynamic, creative, charismatic...I could go on forever baby! :D

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1116 on: December 16, 2010, 04:01:50 AM »
Hm, a drummer announcement at Christmas doesn't seem so unlikely now imo.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #1117 on: December 16, 2010, 05:51:23 AM »
The MP homepage and Facebook page has changed from "founding member and ex-drummer of Dream Theater" to ""founding member and drummer of Dream Theater"....strange..
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 05:57:16 AM by TheKillingHand »

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1118 on: December 16, 2010, 06:10:42 AM »
 :justjen
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1119 on: December 16, 2010, 06:16:29 AM »
If he comes back after all of this, I will be raging.