23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1059036 times)

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #1050 on: December 14, 2010, 05:24:14 AM »
I'm more inclined towards Lang and Minnemann's prowess and skill, but Mangini is OK in my book. Also, this:
To me drum solos are not the ideal place to evaluate the player's creativity as most of the time they are just showing off their technical skills.

Offline Lotion

« Reply #1051 on: December 14, 2010, 05:46:32 AM »
I think Lang, Mangini and Minnemann would all do a awesome job for DT, and i can't really choose because they all got their qualities. But if I had to chose, i guess i think Lang is the most interesting one. Everyone else than these three would probably be a dissappointment though. And kinda off topic, the only one that could've been replaced in DT is Portnoy, Petrucci and Myung is irreplacable.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1052 on: December 14, 2010, 06:56:02 AM »
Welcome to DTF. :tup
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #1053 on: December 14, 2010, 07:15:09 AM »
To me drum solos are not the ideal place to evaluate the player's creativity as most of the time they are just showing off their technical skills.

Agreed; a really good groove is where you evaluate creativity. That and how their drumming fits the music.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #1054 on: December 14, 2010, 07:54:24 AM »
If all he's gonna do in DT is do 1,024 BPM drum fills, i'm out.
When I was at NEARFest in June I saw both Mangini and Minnemann play in Eddie Jobson's project.  Both were outstanding.  The highlight of the show for me was a cover of Starless.  Both of them definitely were true to the original.  Never once did I feel they were overdoing the parts.  Of course in the 2nd half of the song they started showing off a bit but that is what Bruford did in the original.  Having seen them both at this performance I'd definitely be happy with either of them in DT.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1055 on: December 14, 2010, 08:01:35 AM »
Everyone here's forgetting Mangini played on Elements of Persuasion, which is a solid album drumming wise.  Granted, MP was more than solid and I'd hope Mangini stepped up his game, but a lack of flashy Youtube videos shouldn't lead people to conclude he will suck.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1056 on: December 14, 2010, 08:05:15 AM »
I think Lang, Mangini and Minnemann would all do a awesome job for DT, and i can't really choose because they all got their qualities. But if I had to chose, i guess i think Lang is the most interesting one. Everyone else than these three would probably be a dissappointment though. And kinda off topic, the only one that could've been replaced in DT is Portnoy, Petrucci and Myung is irreplacable.

Eh... You could replace Myung even easier than Portnoy. I love the guy to death, but he does much less for DT than Portnoy did.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Lotion

« Reply #1057 on: December 14, 2010, 08:12:47 AM »
Everyone here's forgetting Mangini played on Elements of Persuasion, which is a solid album drumming wise.  Granted, MP was more than solid and I'd hope Mangini stepped up his game, but a lack of flashy Youtube videos shouldn't lead people to conclude he will suck.

I agree... It's not easy to find videos where we get to see his creative work in songs, but on that album theres lot of interesting drum work, wich proves he has the capability to make something.

Welcome to DTF. :tup

Eh... You could replace Myung even easier than Portnoy. I love the guy to death, but he does much less for DT than Portnoy did.

Yeah, you're right. that statement was a bit objective, as i think the true core of DT is myung and petrucci. But I've just always looked at it, as portnoy was one guy and the rest is the band. Probably because Portnoys stands out much more as a personality, but i think I'd hear a bigger difference in the music if rudess, labrie or petrucci left than what we will hear now that MP is gone. Sorry if it doesn't make sense, my english isn't all that great!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1058 on: December 14, 2010, 08:16:32 AM »
After finally diving into Marco Minnemann's drumming, I can say I'd love to have him in DT.
Extremely versatile, great sound, could really bring DT back to life.

But the same goes for Lang (maybe more creative, less versatile) and Mangini (great person, great technique, very creative). If it's either of those three I'll be very happy.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: December 14, 2010, 08:21:43 AM »
Just another Mangini video but look what he does around 1:09 -->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiRnx6IkRJE
He is absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1060 on: December 14, 2010, 08:48:44 AM »
Here's a solo he did in May 2010. Pretty awesome. This is the first part of the solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-AqeYFdSjY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline nineaxe

« Reply #1061 on: December 14, 2010, 11:26:49 AM »
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but this is another awesome Mangini video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNlCd5b3bU4

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1062 on: December 14, 2010, 11:33:03 AM »

:eek  Errrr.... Ok i'm speechless.

It actually looks like the footage has been sped up. . . *brain melting*

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1063 on: December 14, 2010, 11:39:22 AM »

Fucking hell!

I'm starting to get the fuss about Mike Mangini.

I don't think he can add as much musically as Marco Minnemann... but the man's a WIZARD behind the drums. If that video's anything to go by, Mangini is to Portnoy as Rudess is to Sherinian. Jesus christ!

It's a while since I've been genuinely awestruck by drumming. Impressed, but wow.

Becoming steadily more psyched...

Offline nineaxe

« Reply #1064 on: December 14, 2010, 11:41:16 AM »

:eek  Errrr.... Ok i'm speechless.

+1

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1065 on: December 14, 2010, 11:53:09 AM »

:eek  Errrr.... Ok i'm speechless.

It does! :lol

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #1066 on: December 14, 2010, 11:57:28 AM »
Now that was a wank if I've ever seen one.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: December 14, 2010, 11:59:05 AM »
Okay, so I've watched a few of his videos, but I'm still not feeling it. Yeah, he can drum faster than time itself, but I'm not sensing a lot of creativity. Is anyone aware of any good videos that show him playing a song rather than a solo?

EDIT:
@sonata, well yeah, and by that logic he's perfect for Dream Theater. :P
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline mittinagus

• Mexican Bad-ass...
  • Matando Güeros!
« Reply #1068 on: December 14, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »
I changed my vote from Lang to Mangini just because some signs point to him, so now my bet would go to him.

however as i think Mike Mangini has all the credentials and chops for the job his weird drum kit set up and especially his awful drum sound are a complete turn off for me. :-[

i'm still hoping something happens and Lang gets the job...

Tin
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 12:48:53 PM by mittinagus »

Offline russellmania

« Reply #1069 on: December 14, 2010, 12:41:44 PM »
Okay, so I've watched a few of his videos, but I'm still not feeling it. Yeah, he can drum faster than time itself, but I'm not sensing a lot of creativity. Is anyone aware of any good videos that show him playing a song rather than a solo?

EDIT:

Have you not listened to Labrie's Mullmuzzler albums and Elements of Persuasion?  They all have Mangini on them.  That stuff is more straight rock and metal than prog, but even a song like Crucify has some really awesome drum work from Mangini.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1070 on: December 14, 2010, 01:24:29 PM »
Yeah, check out the song afterlife from Mullmuzzler 2. That song has pretty cool, yet sometimes simple groove that shows he can gel with a band and not go bananas crazy on the drums.

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #1071 on: December 14, 2010, 01:29:41 PM »

Wow.  That is legitimately incredible, and it honestly was pretty stylish playing in the beginning...I could really dig that kind of stuff.  The speed sure is impressive (though not if it results in endless Petrucci/Rudess/Mangini wanking in DT11).

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #1072 on: December 14, 2010, 01:36:32 PM »
Yeah, check out the song afterlife from Mullmuzzler 2. That song has pretty cool, yet sometimes simple groove that shows he can gel with a band and not go bananas crazy on the drums.

Wow man.. i had never listen this song before...  labrie sounds very freddie mercurysh there.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1073 on: December 14, 2010, 02:06:10 PM »
Quote from: Lotion link=topic=17897.msg708034#msg708034
Yeah, you're right. that statement was a bit objective, as i think the true core of DT is myung and petrucci. But I've just always looked at it, as portnoy was one guy and the rest is the band. Probably because Portnoys stands out much more as a personality, but i think I'd hear a bigger difference in the music if rudess, labrie or petrucci left than what we will hear now that MP is gone. Sorry if it doesn't make sense, my english isn't all that great!

Makes perfect sense. English looks great man.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #1074 on: December 14, 2010, 02:11:15 PM »
Quote from: Lotion link=topic=17897.msg708034#msg708034

Makes perfect sense. English looks great man.

I think JR leaving would make the biggest difference, because there really aren't keyboard wizards in the world that could recreate not only his style and technicality, but his rig. I've heard a million guitarists emulate JP's sound to the hertz. Mike is also relatively easy to emulate by crazed fan drummers. LaBrie, again, would be hard to replace. If a song came on the radio that I didn't recognize, I'd probably recognize it as a new DT song if I heard JLB.

JM is a moot point, as he's been there since the early formative stages of the Universe, and will be there with his hair when the last protons decay and everything ends.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1075 on: December 14, 2010, 02:52:10 PM »
JM is a moot point, as he's been there since the early formative stages of the Universe, and will be there with his hair when the last protons decay and everything ends.
You, good man, are a bag full of wisdom.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: December 14, 2010, 08:35:07 PM »

EDIT:

Have you not listened to Labrie's Mullmuzzler albums and Elements of Persuasion?  They all have Mangini on them.  That stuff is more straight rock and metal than prog, but even a song like Crucify has some really awesome drum work from Mangini.

Oh, yeah, I have heard those albums, I just forgot Mangini was on them. I haven't listened to them in quite a while though (certainly not since before Portnoy left) so I'll have to give them another spin to focus on the drumming.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #1077 on: December 14, 2010, 10:50:48 PM »
OK so I'm not sure why this isn't getting much mention: Rudess and Minnemann having a live stream jam on bandcrashers.com in 20 hours time! (as per this post). its $5 credit card (payment is simple). I cannot wait! and i do hope this is the first step of minnemann being incorporated into DT.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1078 on: December 14, 2010, 11:00:37 PM »
OK so I'm not sure why this isn't getting much mention: Rudess and Minnemann...

Likely because it's completely irrelevant to the issue of who the new drummer will be.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lord-ruler

• lord-ruler
« Reply #1079 on: December 14, 2010, 11:39:10 PM »
Maybe Mangini is going to work for Avenged Sevenfold.   I really can't see J.P and J.R picking him over Minneman.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: December 14, 2010, 11:42:28 PM »
Maybe Mangini is going to work for Avenged Sevenfold.   I really can't see J.P and J.R picking him over Minneman.

Uh...*head explodes*

Offline jazzfusionrocker

« Reply #1081 on: December 15, 2010, 01:37:38 AM »
Wow, Mangini huh? He can definitely do just about anything with either hand or foot. But I dunno, he doesn't really seem to groove very well. Check out those covers he does on YouTube. Cult of Personality and Brick House are completely awful. Hes fast and technical, has a big name and most likely has the gig at this point since he cancelled his classes. He also went to Berklee around the same time as the other DT guys so that would probably be a no-brainer. Hell, his name is Mike so they don't even have to think twice about the name of their drummer! hahaha

I don't know, Gavin Harrison hasn't been mentioned much on the forum and know a friend who saw all the members of DT at the NY Porcupine Tree show right around when Portnoy quit. Tweets around the time of the show confirm it on the DT members. He would have a groove and feel and be able to really bring DT to a new level IMHO.

Charlie Zeleny would still be the best option in my book especially if they wanted to go with a semi unknown guy. But they didn't even ask him it sounds like which is a drag since he does have some underground prog street cred with Blotted Science and Behold the Arctopus. Those vids of Dream Theater covers on his YouTube were out of control. His mainpage video on his YouTube had one of the most melodic drum solos with ostinatos I've heard in a while too actually. Kicks Mangini's ass in musicality. The dude is also the most versatile drummer I've heard since he actually can swing, groove, rock, play metal, blast beats and do Portnoy's parts spot on perfect.

The other dude that is out of control is Bobby Jarzombek, but its been confirmed he was out of town during the auditions. He could do anything any one of the other drummers could do and do it with cymbals behind his back! Best strict metal/prog drummer I've heard. So tight and amazing. He totally looks metal, would bring DT to the highest level and has tons of credits to boot (Fates Warning, Halford, Riot, Iced Earth & more). The stuff he does on his instructional DVD is insane as is his stuff with his brother Ron in Spastic Ink.

But since Charlie Z and Bobby Jarzombek are out, I would much prefer Lang or John Macaluso. They are more badass and hit the drums harder than most of the other guys. Neither of them have a goofy image like Marco Minnemann either. Virgil is too fusiony in my opinion, Mangini doesn't groove hard enough, Peter Wildoer is not tight enough or together enough as a player and Aquiles Priester is completely boring, monotone and just used Superior Drummer 2.0 over all the clips in his videos (using the mics to trigger a software program to give his drums that tone).

Watch, Dream Theater will pull a fast one and get Gene Hoglan to join and blow all of our minds! DT is the only band he hasn't played for really...(not really, but you know what I mean).   :metal

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1082 on: December 15, 2010, 01:42:15 AM »
I don't know, Gavin Harrison hasn't been mentioned much on the forum and know a friend who saw all the members of DT at the NY Porcupine Tree show right around when Portnoy quit. Tweets around the time of the show confirm it on the DT members. He would have a groove and feel and be able to really bring DT to a new level IMHO.

PT is pretty much a full-time commitment, plus he already does other stuff. So I wouldn't count on it.

If Mangini's the guy, I think he'll do great. What you mentioned about groove might be a concern, but honestly, I'd think in that department he's about the same as MP. Plus, he's got some decent snare action. It'll be cool to hear some DT music with great snare action and maybe even some ghost notes.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1083 on: December 15, 2010, 02:01:28 AM »
I hope Minnemann or Mangini gets the drummer spot, both are great drummers. And that Mangini video YtseJamittaja posted...  :o

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1084 on: December 15, 2010, 02:41:07 AM »
Where's that clapping smiley?  :tup