23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1059086 times)

Offline The Awesome

Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #910 on: December 10, 2010, 05:01:55 PM »
Well, if you know of any material of him online that shows how really, really, really good he is, I would gladly see or hear it. Remember that the new drummer also needs to play DT's old songs at least as good as MP does. Being an amazing power metalist doesn't necessarily imply that.

I'm really surprised that a community like this would have no knowledge of AP or an understanding of his capability. I feel like I'm on a Justin Bieber forum trying to explain who John Petrucci is.  :lol

This is pretty good overview of his style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ATHpb1f_g

Drummerworld.com used to have a pretty extensive video library of him if you wanted to check out more of his work. It's hard to capture everything he does in one video, because he's played in several different styles of bands, some of which are straightforward rock drumming, some is speed/power metal, while others are more progressive. Not everything he does is flashy, but his chops rival anyone else mentioned in this thread. He also may very well have the fastest feet of anyone I've ever heard. Lang remains my number one choice, but if he's not an option, I'd rather see Priester than Mangini or anyone else mentioned here. Stylistically I think he is one of the most interesting options. I don't want to see more of the same with a new drummer. Either get someone to bring in a new element, or go get Portnoy back. Also, from what I have read, Priester oversees all or most aspects of Hangar, which could be a huge bonus considering the size of the role Portnoy played in DT. Someone who is familiar with running a band could bring much more to the table than someone who just plays an instrument.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #911 on: December 10, 2010, 05:02:37 PM »
Dream Theater did a song called Raw Dog for the God of War compagnion CD not so long ago. Rina talked about a "dog", I added "raw". That's funny because it makes "Raw Dog", which is the name of the previously mentionned song. I thought it had an element of surprise and joyful exuberance that kids have sometimes when they see the beautiful colors of summer for the first time through the eyes of innocence.
Dream who?

Something about a movie about dreams I think. Maybe he meant it's playing in the theaters right now. I don't know, he didn't go deeper.
Is this some sort of Harry Potter reference?

Only if it involves Emma Watson.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #912 on: December 10, 2010, 05:04:01 PM »
If DT played NOTHING but metal, than yea that Priester guy might do fine.

But that's what he is, a good metal drummer. Nothing more.

He plays like a machine, no groove, no soul, and plays rather generic drumming at that with a few cool ideas once in a while.

However if you take his exact set up, replace the drums with DW ones and the cymbals with Sabian.....I'd be a happy man.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #913 on: December 10, 2010, 05:07:45 PM »
I'm really surprised that a community like this would have no knowledge of AP or an understanding of his capability.

I don't think that's it at all.  I think most people here just haven't paid much attention to him because (1) he's an obscure drummer who has only played in obscure bands; and (2) nothing anyone has seen of him, including the video you just re-posted, really sets him apart from most of the drummers posted in this thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #914 on: December 10, 2010, 05:23:08 PM »
I'm really surprised that a community like this would have no knowledge of AP or an understanding of his capability.

I don't think that's it at all.  I think most people here just haven't paid much attention to him because (1) he's an obscure drummer who has only played in obscure bands; and (2) nothing anyone has seen of him, including the video you just re-posted, really sets him apart from most of the drummers posted in this thread.

I'd say he's set apart from Lang and Mangini and so forth.

Just not in a positive way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: December 10, 2010, 05:27:06 PM »
I feel like I'm on a Justin Bieber forum trying to explain who John Petrucci is.  :lol

Well, I feel like I'm on a DT forum trying to explain what progressive music/drumming is...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #916 on: December 10, 2010, 05:46:38 PM »
I really have not enjoyed any Mike Mangini videos. Marco Minneman would be my choice.

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #917 on: December 10, 2010, 06:06:22 PM »
I really have not enjoyed any Mike Mangini videos. Marco Minneman would be my choice.
Pretty much this. Either him or Lang.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #918 on: December 10, 2010, 06:13:49 PM »
I'm wary of anyone who's set speed records on his respective instrument

Online Adami

« Reply #919 on: December 10, 2010, 06:14:43 PM »
I'm wary of anyone who's set speed records on his respective instrument

Considering that he hasn't done much speed metal in his career, I say who cares?

Is speed a bad thing? Mangini is VERY tasteful.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #920 on: December 10, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »
It's just a red flag for me. He may very well be tasteful, I'll have to check him out. Knowing nothing else, though, it scares me.

Online Adami

« Reply #921 on: December 10, 2010, 06:16:31 PM »
It's just a red flag for me. He may very well be tasteful, I'll have to check him out. Knowing nothing else, though, it scares me.

How? Petrucci and Rudess are crazy fast. How is that bad?

If he did nothing but speedy things, that would be bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #922 on: December 10, 2010, 06:22:19 PM »

How? Petrucci and Rudess are crazy fast. How is that bad?

If he did nothing but speedy things, that would be bad.

Being fast isn't bad, I never said that!

Online Adami

« Reply #923 on: December 10, 2010, 06:23:41 PM »
Then why would it make you worried? Do good things worry you?

Like do you worry when someone says "if you go outside then you will be surrounded by naked women and unicorns"?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Awesome

« Reply #924 on: December 10, 2010, 06:31:30 PM »

Why do you assume he can play nothing but metal? A more logical assumption would be that someone with that level of skill could probably have success in anything they pursue.

He plays like a machine, no groove, no soul, and plays rather generic drumming at that with a few cool ideas once in a while.

This is the universal cop out response for many musical discussions. I can't count the number of times I've read that exact same statement about everyone from Portnoy, to Peart, Wildoer, (insert any musician here). Since terms like "groove" and "soul" are completely indefinable, there really isn't a way to respond to a statement like that other than to disagree (which I do).

I guess I'm just surprised by it because I've always heard such high praise for his playing in drum circles. AP in my experience has always been one of those figures like Paul Gilbert. Most people won't have any idea who he is, but those that do know him to be a god at what he does.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:41:29 PM by The Awesome »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #925 on: December 10, 2010, 06:32:41 PM »
Then why would it make you worried? Do good things worry you?

Like do you worry when someone says "if you go outside then you will be surrounded by naked women and unicorns"?
Unicorns have pointy horns. Those are dangerous.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: December 10, 2010, 06:33:19 PM »
I get what antigoon is saying. Wouldn't be cool with a drummer like how e.g. Michael Angelo is in the guitar world (I have the impression that he is all about speed, maybe I'm wrong)...
Anywho, I'm positive that Mangini isn't all about speed, even though one perhaps might think so after hearing that he has some speed record... :)

Online Adami

« Reply #927 on: December 10, 2010, 06:35:16 PM »

Why do you assume he can play nothing but metal? A more logical assumption would be that someone with that level of skill could probably have success in anything they pursue.

Because that's not a logical assumption. That's you being a big fan and seeing what you want to see.

My guess is the drummer for Kamelot could play everything I saw in any AP video so far. Do you think Casey Grillo could play in DT?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: December 10, 2010, 06:38:01 PM »
Looking at those Mangini vids now, he does some cool stuff, especially in that Vai solo, but I think I still like Minnemann better.  Pulling for him most of all.  I can understand Antigoon's concern over Mangini's speed record, sort of a "he's fast, but is he just going to play fast stuff just because he can, or can he still bring tasteful, melodic drumming to DT, similar but not exactly like the way Portnoy would?"

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #929 on: December 10, 2010, 06:40:07 PM »
Yeah, what they said. It's cool he can play fast -- I'd be a bit concerned if he couldn't. But when someone has a speed record I worry it's all he focuses on.

Online Adami

« Reply #930 on: December 10, 2010, 06:40:31 PM »
I think if anyone listens to either Mullmuzzler album or EoP, they can see that Mangini is hardly about speed.

By the way, I'm still hoping for Lang.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:45:44 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Awesome

« Reply #931 on: December 10, 2010, 06:53:05 PM »
Because that's not a logical assumption. That's you being a big fan and seeing what you want to see.

You see a skilled drummer that plays well primarily in one genre and assume that's all he can do. I see a skilled drummer that plays well primarily in one genre and assume he could probably play well in other genres based on that level of skill. Your assumption is stubborn, my assumption is reasonable. Besides, DT is a metal band. It's not like we're talking about a big change from what he already does.

My guess is the drummer for Kamelot could play everything I saw in any AP video so far. Do you think Casey Grillo could play in DT?

I'm not at all familiar with Kamelot, and I've never heard of Casey Grillo.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #932 on: December 10, 2010, 06:59:21 PM »

You see a skilled drummer that plays well primarily in one genre and assume that's all he can do. I see a skilled drummer that plays well primarily in one genre and assume he could probably play well in other genres based on that level of skill. Your assumption is stubborn, my assumption is reasonable. Besides, DT is a metal band. It's not like we're talking about a big change from what he already does.

lol, for srs
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: December 10, 2010, 07:01:53 PM »

lol, for srs

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #934 on: December 10, 2010, 07:02:53 PM »
This.

Offline russellmania

« Reply #935 on: December 10, 2010, 08:12:28 PM »
lol at ppl being uptight about how progressive the new drummer may or may not be.  DT hasn't really been progressive in years.  Technical?  Yes.  Progressive?  Barely.  I think those of you who are expecting them to hire a really proggy drummer and start sounding more like Genesis or King Crimson are going to be really disappointed.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #936 on: December 10, 2010, 10:27:44 PM »
lol at ppl being uptight about how progressive the new drummer may or may not be.  DT hasn't really been progressive in years.  Technical?  Yes.  Progressive?  Barely.

That's an interesting perspective. I don't entirely agree (the song Octavarium jumps to mind), but interesting nevertheless.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: December 10, 2010, 10:36:22 PM »
lol at ppl being uptight about how progressive the new drummer may or may not be.  DT hasn't really been progressive in years.  Technical?  Yes.  Progressive?  Barely.

That's an interesting perspective. I don't entirely agree (the song Octavarium jumps to mind), but interesting nevertheless.

I think what he means is DT haven't really evolved passed their core sound, which is true. But they're still progressive. Very few progressive bands branch out far beyond their original contribution to prog.

Offline Pumpkin Pie

• starving musician
« Reply #938 on: December 10, 2010, 10:38:13 PM »
If DT played NOTHING but metal, than yea that Priester guy might do fine.

However if you take his exact set up, replace the drums with DW ones and the cymbals with Sabian.....I'd be a happy man.

That's a rather dumb statement... Priester can play just about anything he wants to. Guys like him aren't limited by genre; they're that good. Have you not seen this guy's Latin drumming? Also, I realize that "groove" and "soul" are in the eyes of the beholder, but.....really? Generic drumming? My vote still goes for Lang or Mangini.

Online Adami

« Reply #939 on: December 10, 2010, 10:39:41 PM »

For the past 2 albums, I can see that guy doing just fine. Even stuff from Images and Words and Awake maybe.

But can you really picture this guy playing a song like Octavarium or TALW?

And no, it's not logical to assume that because he's good at playing 1 genre, that he's good at playing others. He has to show signs of it. He lacks dynamics, he lacks groove, hand so forth. Therefor even if is able to play those other styles, it's not logical to assume it based on what we've seen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Pumpkin Pie

• starving musician
« Reply #940 on: December 10, 2010, 10:43:09 PM »
Holy shit Adami I just saw your post count.....wow, do you have a life other than the forum?

Online Adami

« Reply #941 on: December 10, 2010, 10:44:27 PM »
Holy shit Adami I just saw your post count.....wow, do you have a life other than the forum?

Dude.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #942 on: December 10, 2010, 10:44:39 PM »
TROLL ALERT

Offline Pumpkin Pie

• starving musician
« Reply #943 on: December 10, 2010, 10:47:15 PM »

Dude.

Damn, that was fast! Not a troll, sorry to disappoint, just amazed at your post count that's all...

Online Adami

« Reply #944 on: December 10, 2010, 10:48:29 PM »

Dude.

Damn, that was fast! Not a troll, sorry to disappoint, just amazed at your post count that's all...

Listen, I'm really sorry that I don't think your AP guy is the best drummer in the world. But you do NOT have to get personal with me.

If you continue to act like that around here, you wont last very long.
fanticide.bandcamp.com