23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058969 times)

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #840 on: December 08, 2010, 10:25:24 PM »
So, people with connections to DT are posting things they've heard about DT's new drummer and.... other people are telling them to shut up?  Um.  What?
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #841 on: December 08, 2010, 11:01:14 PM »
So, people with connections to DT are posting things they've heard about DT's new drummer and.... other people are telling them to shut up?  Um.  What?

Therein lies the problem, we as spectators can't be sure of the validity of those "connections," so while it would be nice to take their word for it that's one word against a thousand. Plus, one of these kinds of posts pop up every other page.

Offline Yazman

« Reply #842 on: December 08, 2010, 11:12:19 PM »
I see this resulting in DTF's first ever rape caught on video: Black C***s in Panty Linings.
:lol :lol

A Nightrape to Remember
A C*** of Passage
With her
The Shattered Mattress
The Best of Times
The Mount of Tuscany

You mean, A Rite of Bondage.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #843 on: December 08, 2010, 11:21:55 PM »
Therein lies the problem, we as spectators can't be sure of the validity of those "connections," so while it would be nice to take their word for it that's one word against a thousand. Plus, one of these kinds of posts pop up every other page.

No, the problem is that some people take this stuff too seriously.  Let's not forget that this has happened in a thread called, "PLACE YOUR BETS."  It's really not that serious.  

edit:

Oh yeah, and look how many votes that Zombie Mike Portnoy has received.  :lol
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #844 on: December 09, 2010, 01:21:14 AM »
:lol Well said Snake.

I'm going to reserve any conclusions until there's an official announcement.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #845 on: December 09, 2010, 06:53:04 AM »
To be honest, I don't know much about most of the drummers in the poll, so I can't judge who will be chosen.  From what I've heard, Mark Zonder might be a cool addition, but he's currently working with the UK band Ten (which is a highly underrated act, BTW).  Richard Christy would also be fun, especially since he's jammed with the band on a couple of live shows.   However, he's busy with the Howard Stern show, and I don't see him taking time off for a DT tour.

Mike Mamgini is an intriguing option, because he's taken part in a diverse range of projects, from Annihilator to Extreme.  However, I'm not familiar enough with his work to say if he can do some of the quirky drumming that appears in much of DT's work. 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #846 on: December 09, 2010, 11:14:36 AM »
It's been 5 days since i've checked for news relating to a new drummer/checked this forum. It is now December... and still nothing!
I've given up. I don't care anymore. I don't care if Minnemann or Lars Ulrich get the position... i need closure!!
fuuuuu
</rage post>

Offline robwebster

« Reply #847 on: December 09, 2010, 12:03:32 PM »
Evidence is stacking for Mangini. I think he's quite a safe bet, at this point in time. I'm currently assuming so unless told otherwise.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #848 on: December 09, 2010, 12:11:45 PM »
Either Mangini or Lang. Those two are my main candidates. And although I like the idea of either of them, and I know the info will come soon, I really really think this is taking too long.

I mean, when was the official announcement that Mike left?
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #849 on: December 09, 2010, 12:15:59 PM »
Either Mangini or Lang. Those two are my main candidates. And although I like the idea of either of them, and I know the info will come soon, I really really think this is taking too long.

I mean, when was the official announcement that Mike left?

Well, it's taking very long in my opinion too. I thought Mangini would be good-drum-wise I still think he is- but idk, there is something I don't like about the guy himself. I'd prefer Lang for that matter or Minnemann.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline John94

« Reply #850 on: December 09, 2010, 12:40:10 PM »
Evidence is stacking for Mangini. I think he's quite a safe bet, at this point in time. I'm currently assuming so unless told otherwise.

Share evidence?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #851 on: December 09, 2010, 12:47:23 PM »

Share evidence?

Random people saying random things.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline robwebster

« Reply #852 on: December 09, 2010, 12:51:30 PM »

Share evidence?

Random people saying random things.
Yeah. There's no proof. But there are a handful of trustworthy people who seem fairly convinced, and another handful of people who are fairly convinced that certain other candidates are nixed.

When I say "a handful of," I really mean "one or two." But rumours don't come from nowhere. I'd like to be wrong, I'm definitely guilty of investing far too much in rumours. But it's a sensible choice, it's a safe choice, and it's got a couple of people reinforcing it. Hope it's wrong, though. I think he'd be the least exciting addition to the band out of all those in the above list. Absolutely talented enough for the job, but he doesn't have that extra spark, imo.

Least exciting of a fantastic bunch is still a good place to be, mind.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: December 09, 2010, 12:55:55 PM »
Agree with Rob, Mangini doesn't seem to have anything really really cool going for him, even though he has the ability to play in DT.  I'm still really pulling for Minnemann.  He has this cool quirkiness about him.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: December 09, 2010, 01:18:01 PM »
Agree with Rob, Mangini doesn't seem to have anything really really cool going for him, even though he has the ability to play in DT.  I'm still really pulling for Minnemann.  He has this cool quirkiness about him.

What? Mangini doesn't have any spark? No quirkiness?
To me Lang is the only one on the list (well, Jarzombek too, but he dropped really soon) that comes close to him in terms of 'being special'. Lang with his fusion background, and Mangini with his, well, ability to play anything.
How about Mangini's world famous Drum Solo on the Steve Vai tour? Or his world record single strokes on the drumometer? Or his weird kit setup? Or his strangely awesome personality? To me Mangini might be the one on the list with the most specialities.

The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #855 on: December 09, 2010, 01:20:02 PM »
I'm still hoping for Lang, but if a fraction of the rumors people have mentioned are true, evidence points to Mangini.  Either way, I don't see any downside whatsoever.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #856 on: December 09, 2010, 01:21:07 PM »
I'm still hoping for Lang, but if a fraction of the rumors people have mentioned are true, evidence points to Mangini.  Either way, I don't see any downside whatsoever.
Same here but I am not too familiar with Mangini except for JLB's solo stuff, where he is not really at the forefront.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: December 09, 2010, 01:31:52 PM »
Mangini clips:

Great early career drumsolo with Extreme (tasteful, fast, double bass, polyrhythmic)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um24wnmC3xs

WFD world record: 1203 single strokes in a minute!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7TzWrKso4I

His most famous drumsolo, on tour with Steve Vai this has everything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31c-FL0ZlZ0

Incredibly tasty groovy solo, bird view:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1EhMdqE51c

A 10 minute solo, sit this one through and you know he's really one of the best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyaFL24Zu8c

And to show he's an awesome person:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQTBtkB_mWQ

Online Adami

« Reply #858 on: December 09, 2010, 01:32:11 PM »
I'm still hoping for Lang, but if a fraction of the rumors people have mentioned are true, evidence points to Mangini.  Either way, I don't see any downside whatsoever.
Same here but I am not too familiar with Mangini except for JLB's solo stuff, where he is not really at the forefront.

Yea, LaBries stuff doesn't really show off any of his talent, but it does show off how tasteful he can be.

youtube some of his solos though, damn amazing stuff.

EDIT: Damnit zappa!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #859 on: December 09, 2010, 01:38:58 PM »
Mangini is incredibly versatile. If it is him, I really couldn't fault the decision at all!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: December 09, 2010, 01:39:58 PM »

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: December 09, 2010, 01:53:43 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2e52J5aazQ&NR=1&feature=fvwp

One more, watch the cowbell in the second half of the clip. Not only does he play a nice syncopated clave, he uses a triplet like swing feel on it, that he doesn't use with his other foot or his hands. Two different feels at the same time, incredible.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00GXRzoJbiI
Another one, plain rock song, nicely fast, great playing, nothing too much, just very very good and solid.
Look at 2:10 that rhythm, with one hand!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 02:02:25 PM by Nihil-Morari »

Online Adami

« Reply #862 on: December 09, 2010, 02:08:24 PM »
Not only is Mangini extremely amazing, but he's completely ambidextrous.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #863 on: December 09, 2010, 02:38:37 PM »
Love Mangini, incredible drummer and seems like a cool guy, I would be thoroughly happy with him in DT

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #864 on: December 09, 2010, 03:00:33 PM »
Great vids Nihil!

Yeah...he'll do! :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: December 09, 2010, 03:26:16 PM »
I'll check out those Mangini vids in a bit, but now for something completely different:

I was listening to Crack the Skye today, and while I know this is a super long shot, but I just thought of Brann Dailor in Dream Theater.  I can already see the metal song lyrics improving, along with badass fills/grooves.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: December 09, 2010, 03:50:46 PM »
I was listening to Crack the Skye today, and while I know this is a super long shot, but I just thought of Brann Dailor in Dream Theater.  I can already see the metal song lyrics improving, along with badass fills/grooves.
Awesome album, awesome drummer! But I'm having trouble imagining him in DT. Would've been interesting to see him there, though!

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #867 on: December 09, 2010, 03:57:26 PM »
Anyone here thinking that it might be someone else that has never been mentioned here? Just a thought...

As for this...

I have heard from a very trustworthy source, that unfortunately Lang, Minnemann, Donati are out of the game.
I honestly don't know how the chosen one is, but it seems very likely we will be dissapointed, as this source says.
Maybe its Aquiles Priester, as some rumors said, but until the official announcement its still uncertain.

The info comes, as nikatapi said, from a greek rock magazine editor, who claims has *actual* information and not just some rumour or speculation from some friend of his. Now, I don't know how accurate his so-called info are (and I mean no offense towards him of course), but I think that if this had gone out of the "inner circle", it would have spread all over the internet by now. Also, he said that the name he learned really disappointed him. Also, he says that it's not between the names we've been speculating all this time.

I went and asked him specifically if he could deny in the same way he did for Lang/Minnemann/Donati, the name of Aquiles Priester, but I got no denial response. So that makes me a little suspicious...

Anyway, as it seems from Petrucci's post on his forums, the announcement is close - I guess it will be before they hit the studio, and as the days go by, I start believing it will indeed be announced on 6 o' clock on Christmas morning! :)

Online Adami

« Reply #868 on: December 09, 2010, 04:08:26 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. I highly doubt DT would let a greek magazine editor know anything before anyone else.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #869 on: December 09, 2010, 04:13:08 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. I highly doubt DT would let a greek magazine editor know anything before anyone else.

I specifically said that he learned from a friend of his, whom I suppose he considers a reliable source, so it's not like DT called him and told him about their drummer.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: December 09, 2010, 04:23:42 PM »
Priester seems to be too much into the pop metal scene to be considered as a new DT drummer IMO.
He left Angra for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y23PDlUnZtA - where Priester is a founding member.

Awful...

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #871 on: December 09, 2010, 04:29:10 PM »
Priester seems to be too much into the pop metal scene to be considered as a new DT drummer IMO.
He left Angra for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y23PDlUnZtA - where Priester is a founding member.

Awful...

Maybe this is the reason the guy says he's disappointed? Just a thought, and I hope his info is wrong...

Online Adami

« Reply #872 on: December 09, 2010, 04:34:41 PM »

Awful...

Maybe this is the reason the guy says he's disappointed? Just a thought, and I hope his info is wrong...

Why would they pick a guy who's heavily involved with another band?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: December 09, 2010, 04:50:52 PM »

Awful...

Why would they pick a guy who's heavily involved with another band?

This. And he has only been doing pop- and power metal stuff afaik. Angra isn't that progressive. Most of the music I have heard consists of 1/16 bass drums and snare on the off-beat. And Hangar? Ew...
Why even consider him as a drummer in such a progressive focused band as DT? If he auditioned, as some "rumours" say, I hope the DT guys know what they're doing... I hope he didn't!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: December 09, 2010, 06:04:42 PM »
Not only is Mangini extremely amazing, but he's completely ambidextrous.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.