23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1059319 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #735 on: December 06, 2010, 01:59:09 AM »
If Mangini joined DT full time, that would be very cool. But the man (along with like every other person listed) has had a long career of playing with bands (some major ones) for brief periods of time and then leaving. I want DT to have a band member, not just a drummer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #736 on: December 06, 2010, 02:01:52 AM »
If Mangini joined DT full time, that would be very cool. But the man (along with like every other person listed) has had a long career of playing with bands (some major ones) for brief periods of time and then leaving. I want DT to have a band member, not just a drummer.
Actually I'd love for a pseudo-full-time member, so that this album/tour don't suck, but MP is able to come back later.  You get the best of both worlds.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Adami

« Reply #737 on: December 06, 2010, 02:03:48 AM »
Actually I'd love for a pseudo-full-time member, so that this album/tour don't suck, but MP is able to come back later.  You get the best of both worlds.

Well personally I don't want MP to return. I was getting super bored with DT. Portnoy returning would just be lame, for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: December 06, 2010, 02:16:58 AM »

Well personally I don't want MP to return. I was getting super bored with DT. Portnoy returning would just be lame, for me.
I agree to a certain extent. If not super bored with DT, I can see that a new permanent drummer may prove to be a breath of fresh air to the band, which they need IMO.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #739 on: December 06, 2010, 02:47:35 AM »

Agreed. If MP ever returns, I'm done with listening to DT.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #740 on: December 06, 2010, 04:37:13 AM »
How would that be the best of both worlds?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #741 on: December 06, 2010, 04:59:17 AM »

B.Lee

While I wouldn't be done with DT if MP returned, I would definitely be very disappointed - also since JP has stated that they are looking for a permanent replacement instead of a temporary solution until MP returns.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #742 on: December 06, 2010, 06:11:51 AM »
For me it would be a backwards step for MP to return. It wouldn't stop me being a fan and as I've always loved MP Dt I can't see it wouldn't work. And he did ban me from his forum for daring to question his decision and I have a temper and a long memory too.  I've just been introduced to these awesome drummers and I'm interested to hear what it does to DT.
I would be ecstatic if it is Lang or Minnemann, both are insane.
I would be happy with Mangini (and voted for him in this poll as I dreamt it was him) or donati. Both are journeymen though but I guess that applies to Lang too.
I would be disappointed with Wildoer and Priester (unless they both have more than the Metal-only chops I've seen so far).

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #743 on: December 06, 2010, 06:43:03 AM »
Jp said they were looking for a permanent replacement and I believe him. He's not Eddie Van Halen, he doesn't just say stuff for pr purposes.  As far as I can remember he has always been honest with us.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #744 on: December 06, 2010, 07:16:59 AM »

JR touched on this in the Classic Rock interview.  The reason they won't go for a session drummer is because they feel it would be half-assed, and no one would really take DT seriously until MP returned.  By choosing a permanent drummer, they don't suffer from that as a band.

So, if they choose a "permanent" drummer like Mike Mangini, then "let him go" once MP wants to come back, DT doesn't get a bad name and no one is unhappy.

But that's just my wishful thinking.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #745 on: December 06, 2010, 07:57:36 AM »

B.Lee

I would love MP to return. Although, I know a lot of people are excited to hear DT with a different drummer.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #746 on: December 06, 2010, 07:59:22 AM »
Will find out if BrotherH is correct soon enough today, otherwise he is expelled from the forum. ;)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #747 on: December 06, 2010, 08:14:59 AM »
2pm EST today...we'll see.    :corn

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #748 on: December 06, 2010, 08:20:26 AM »
Hmmm 7PM GMT....we will see Brother or we will curse you to hell for all eternity  ;)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #749 on: December 06, 2010, 08:23:04 AM »
I'll be sure to curse you all right back. :)

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #750 on: December 06, 2010, 08:44:39 AM »
I have one theory with the online thing rudess is going to do with Minnemann.

I think He is the chosen one for DT and they are doing this concert with Rudess so "fans" can see how he plays, his musicianship and how he works with rudess.

After the concert.. they announce he is the one, and then Fans are going to be OK with it.

If he is not the one.. Fans are going to complain that Minnemann was a better match because of the concert with Rudess, etc.

I guess this is the best form to show fans who their new drummer is without getting the "no one can replace MP" bull..

note: altho i might be completely wrong with this theory if they announce it today.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:07:24 AM by jdprsaga »

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #751 on: December 06, 2010, 09:13:35 AM »
Minnemann will be with Rudess,not Mangini.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #752 on: December 06, 2010, 09:26:23 AM »
note: altho i might be completely wrong with this theory if they announce it today.

No, the fact that your theory is wrong stems from a bunch of other reasons that have nothing to do with whether or not they announce it today.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #753 on: December 06, 2010, 09:30:27 AM »
I guess I was in the "sky is falling" mode right after MP left, but since then I have been really excited watching all the cool vids that many of you have posted of other drummers.

I do believe that the new guy will be as permanent as anyone really can be, in that no one can ever really be sure that the guy they pick will want to stay or if DT wants to keep the guy after a while.

If the new guy quits or simply doesnt cut it one way or the other, I am sure that DT will keep their options open.  Maybe DT wont want MP back if they have moved on completely.

Simply put.  Anything is possible.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #754 on: December 06, 2010, 09:45:11 AM »
I guess I was in the "sky is falling" mode right after MP left...

Interesting that you bring something like that up.  Honestly, I think a lot of people were in that mode.  AND, I think it is a bit naive to not still be somewhat in that mode.  It would be dumb to say DT were successful solely because of Mike's efforts.  But Mike's efforts were in fact a huge factor in DT's success as a band.  When the announcement was made that he was leaving, it was uncertain whether the band could, would, or even had the desire to do a lot of the things it will take to really keep them going on any serious scale.  They are saying and appear to be doing a lot of the right things since then.  But here's the thing:  They haven't yet written and recorded the album, or gone on the tour, or done a lot of the other things they will need to do to keep the band successful.  So bottom line is, we still don't really know whether they can truly be successful without Mike.  I am optimistic given everything that has been coming from the DT camp recently.  But we really, truly don't know how things will shake up, and until we hear the new album and see the new tour cycle, we really won't have enough information to know what will happen with the band.  Cautious optimism is good, but optimism should remain cautious because nobody, not even the members of DT, really know what is going to happen with the band during this next cycle.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #755 on: December 06, 2010, 09:52:20 AM »
Well said, Bosk....and that is what makes this really exciting. We are truly in unchartered territory.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #756 on: December 06, 2010, 10:11:05 AM »
Minnemann will be with Rudess,not Mangini.

Thanks man!! corrected now! To many names mingling in my mind!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: December 06, 2010, 10:15:02 AM »

JR touched on this in the Classic Rock interview.  The reason they won't go for a session drummer is because they feel it would be half-assed, and no one would really take DT seriously until MP returned.  By choosing a permanent drummer, they don't suffer from that as a band.

So, if they choose a "permanent" drummer like Mike Mangini, then "let him go" once MP wants to come back, DT doesn't get a bad name and no one is unhappy.

That scenario is the exact same one as the one you just described with the session drummer.  The use of "quotation marks" around words like "permanent" don't help you either.

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #758 on: December 06, 2010, 10:16:40 AM »

No, the fact that your theory is wrong stems from a bunch of other reasons that have nothing to do with whether or not they announce it today.

Well i didn't said there was only one reason why it could be wrong ;). just said that if they announce it today then my theory is wrong.. if they do it later but it's not Minnemann then its wrong too.. and even if they do it after the concert and its minnemann indeed, would not mean i was right..

what i'm saying... it's just a possibility.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: December 06, 2010, 10:46:39 AM »
Minneman or Lang would be great. I would be kinda disappointed if it's not any of these two. And I don't know, is any of these two a singer?

Offline nineaxe

« Reply #760 on: December 06, 2010, 11:01:27 AM »
From MM's official page:https://www.mikemangini.com/1mikemanginipage/biospage.htm:

HAS PERFORMED OR RECORDED WITH:

Skunk Baxter (Steely Dan,) Brad Delp/Barry Goudreau/Fran Sheehan (Boston,) Steven Tyler (Aerosmith,) Darrel (Run DMC,) James Montgomery, Charlie Farren, Johnny A., Nuno Bettencourt/Pat Badger/Gary Cherone (Extreme whole band, as well as, separately,) Patrick Benti, Steve Vai, Mike Keneally, Philip Bynoe, Steve Perry (Journey,) Jane Pitrelli, Waltham Percussion Ensemble Alumni, Annihilator, Dream Theater (whole band,) James LaBrie (solo,) Brian Bellar, Matt Guillory, Marco Sfogli, Eastman School Orchestra, Joel Thome, Godsmack, Dale Bozzio, Steve Ferlazzo, Brad Miller, two dozen Sanctum Sound recording artists, a lot of cover bands and do

When has he played with DT?

Offline Adami

« Reply #761 on: December 06, 2010, 11:03:48 AM »
Minneman or Lang would be great. I would be kinda disappointed if it's not any of these two. And I don't know, is any of these two a singer?

I think Lang might. Not sure.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #762 on: December 06, 2010, 11:10:35 AM »

I think Lang might. Not sure.

Lang stated that he sings in one of the Northridge videos. I'd be curious to hear what that sounds like though...

EDIT:
This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bodmgfVELeI
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:23:41 AM by MemoryScenes »

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #763 on: December 06, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »
From MM's official page:https://www.mikemangini.com/1mikemanginipage/biospage.htm:

Skunk Baxter (Steely Dan,) Brad Delp/Barry Goudreau/Fran Sheehan (Boston,) Steven Tyler (Aerosmith,) Darrel (Run DMC,) James Montgomery, Charlie Farren, Johnny A., Nuno Bettencourt/Pat Badger/Gary Cherone (Extreme whole band, as well as, separately,) Patrick Benti, Steve Vai, Mike Keneally, Philip Bynoe, Steve Perry (Journey,) Jane Pitrelli, Waltham Percussion Ensemble Alumni, Annihilator, Dream Theater (whole band,) James LaBrie (solo,) Brian Bellar, Matt Guillory, Marco Sfogli, Eastman School Orchestra, Joel Thome, Godsmack, Dale Bozzio, Steve Ferlazzo, Brad Miller, two dozen Sanctum Sound recording artists, a lot of cover bands and do

Mike invited him up to play before, I dunno if that's what he's referring to.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: December 06, 2010, 02:15:36 PM »

Hmm, that's odd...
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #765 on: December 06, 2010, 02:28:48 PM »
Auditioning counts as playing with?
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #766 on: December 06, 2010, 02:32:26 PM »
Most likely what Memoryscenes said.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Faustusmedea

« Reply #767 on: December 06, 2010, 04:18:58 PM »
For Immediate Release - Progressive Metal superstars Dream Theater have settled on a new drummer today. Max Portnoy will join the group in recording the 11th album in January. The band auditioned several thousand musicians before settling on Portnoy.

"We are pleased to welcome Max to the group, it really is the best of all worlds. We retain the Portnoy flavor with at least 5 years before Max attempts to take over the band." said singer James LaBrie.

Portnoy is 11 years old and has been playing since birth. He is looking forward to bringing his own style to his father's music.

"Filling Mike's shoes will be tough, mostly because I'm only a size 8 1/2." said Max. "Also I should be ready to run things in less than three years though I think JLB is still the right singer for Dream Theater."

The auditions occurred quickly following the elder Portnoy exiting the band earlier this year. Embracing technology, the entire band worked extremely hard to find a good fit.

"Jordan turned us on to this new thing, Youtube or I guess that's what its called." said guitarist John Petrucci. "We all met at Starbucks and poured through these videos on his iPhone and happened on Max's clips by accident. He's amazing and amazingly small. He can only spit like two feet."

The band plans a worldwide tour in 2011 once they receive signed permission forms from Max's parents to stay out overnight. While little is known about the new album, Portnoy did reveal the band was reworking one of his father's tunes.

"We are re-recording Never Enough with new lyrics, retitling it Never Enough Lucky Charms in honor of my favorite cereal, also to welcome back fans who often failed to display proper fealty to my dad." said Portnoy. "They have paid for their insolence.

The young drummer has inked an early sponsorship deal with General Mills and expects to give out tons of free cereal to grateful fans throughout the coming tour although Max's rider does include removal of all Blue Moons, a task falling on drum tech Jose Baraquio who Mike gave to Max on his last birthday.

Offline Adami

« Reply #768 on: December 06, 2010, 04:20:47 PM »
Meh.

Not nearly as funny as the amount of work you put into it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #769 on: December 06, 2010, 04:23:01 PM »
Meh.

Not nearly as funny as the amount of work you put into it.
Meet Adami.  He hates everyone.

Welcome to the forum, faustus!