23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058748 times)

Offline Stoneyman

Re: For what it's worth...
« Reply #630 on: December 02, 2010, 12:10:38 PM »
To be honest, i am totally surprised that it didnt actually leak yet.  Really, everything leaks these days.

7 drummers multiplied by their family members, friends, agents, band members, and the dude next door.  That is an amazing amount of people actually keeping their mouths shut about it.

Even the guys who supposedly "didnt get it" are not really talking too.

Cheers to DT for really keeping the lid on this.

Now blow the lid of this F_cker and go world wide!  Boats and ho's brothers!

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #631 on: December 02, 2010, 12:21:08 PM »
Well, assuming the guy who got it is single or hasn't told anyone, it may only be the guys in DT who know. Maybe they didn't even tell the guy who won yet.

I somehow suspect they'll announce ahead of time when the announcement will come. Then again, it would be nice just to know.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #632 on: December 02, 2010, 12:32:44 PM »
It's amazing that someone who didn't get it hasn't even mentioned anything like, "yeah, I auditioned but wan't chosen...."
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #633 on: December 02, 2010, 12:33:10 PM »
Guys like Mangini would certainly have to give their current employers notice in some way.  Secretaries and custodians hear everything.  Most of those prospective candidates have professional schedules that they had set in advance I would bet.  Changes to those kind of schedules often involve many people in one way or another.

Funny that no one has slipped.

Its funny you say Mangini might be single.  If he has a girlfriend, you can almost bet 100% that the girlfriend will talk and tell some of their friends.  Women have a tough time keeping any secret LOL!

Then again, stud drummers get tons of chicks, so I bet none are anchored LOL!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #634 on: December 02, 2010, 12:59:05 PM »
I think JMac would be great in some prog rock group like Transatlantic but he's not very metal guy, so he doesn't fit to DT very well.

But that's my opinion, I still give a vote for Mangini!

I thought that before I listened to the music on his web page.  He doesn't take as naturally to it as Portnoy does, but he can do it.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #635 on: December 02, 2010, 01:14:40 PM »
At least it's not that monkey.  That dude's cymbal work is awesome, but he creeps me the heck out.
:lol

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #636 on: December 02, 2010, 02:48:18 PM »
I would be happy with Mangini in DT.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline TL

« Reply #637 on: December 02, 2010, 03:27:03 PM »
Mangini would be a great choice.

It's funny, he was my first choice when this all started, but the more I saw of Lang's playing, the more I wanted it to be him.

Honestly, either Lang or Mangini would be awesome.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #638 on: December 02, 2010, 04:11:08 PM »
Mangini would be a great choice.

It's funny, he was my first choice when this all started, but the more I saw of Lang's playing, the more I wanted it to be him.

Honestly, either Lang or Mangini would be awesome.

I agree completely.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #639 on: December 02, 2010, 04:13:59 PM »
Guys like Mangini would certainly have to give their current employers notice in some way.  Secretaries and custodians hear everything.  Most of those prospective candidates have professional schedules that they had set in advance I would bet.  Changes to those kind of schedules often involve many people in one way or another.

Funny that no one has slipped.

Its funny you say Mangini might be single.  If he has a girlfriend, you can almost bet 100% that the girlfriend will talk and tell some of their friends.  Women have a tough time keeping any secret LOL!

Then again, stud drummers get tons of chicks, so I bet none are anchored LOL!

Mangini is married and has a couple of kids IIRC. I really doubt its Mangini, mainly because with a family, a steady income from Berkeley is much better (in the long run) than with DT, considering if the guys left the door open for MP to come back after x period of time.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #640 on: December 02, 2010, 04:15:41 PM »
Not another Mike, please  :rollin JK, MM is cool.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #641 on: December 02, 2010, 04:20:25 PM »
Mangini's damn cool - stellar drummer, in fact - but he doesn't have the same force of personality as, say, Minnemann or Macaluso or Zeleny or especially Lang.

He'd not be my favourite choice, seems a little too obvious and safe. I'm quite looking forwards to going "Ooh, I wonder how THAT'll sound," whereas I think Mangini Theater would be a little too far along the lines of "business as usual." He's not a Derek or a Jordan, where you hear all those rock and roll patches, or the mad spidery technical stuff. If anything, Mangini's slightly more reserved than Portnoy.

That said! The fact that it'd be "business as usual" gives it a great deal of weight. No idea how reliable the sources are, and I'll look forward to Mangini Theater should they be correct. But not as much as I'd be anticipating Minnemann or Macaluso Theater. I like the idea of this mad, brave new world. I think Mangini's probably a bit too sensible a successor for my liking.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #642 on: December 02, 2010, 04:22:03 PM »
Mangini is married and has a couple of kids IIRC. I really doubt its Mangini, mainly because with a family, a steady income from Berkeley is much better (in the long run) than with DT, considering if the guys left the door open for MP to come back after x period of time.

If by "leave the door open," you mean he has an open invitation to walk back in whether someone else is in the drummer role, they didn't leave the door open.  If you mean Mike didn't burn any bridges and could theoretically come back if the spot is vacant and the stars otherwise align (which is the present situation), then that wouldn't affect Mangini in the slightest.  And Berklee (not Berkeley last time I checked) would likely take him back in the future if he wanted to go back to teaching.  Schools love it when their instructors go off and due things to further build their credentials and then come back later with an even more stacked resume because it brings more prestige to the school.  I'm not convinced it is Mangini either, but the reasons you gave don't really make sense.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #643 on: December 02, 2010, 04:34:46 PM »

If by "leave the door open," you mean he has an open invitation to walk back in whether someone else is in the drummer role, they didn't leave the door open.  If you mean Mike didn't burn any bridges and could theoretically come back if the spot is vacant and the stars otherwise align (which is the present situation), then that wouldn't affect Mangini in the slightest.  And Berklee (not Berkeley last time I checked) would likely take him back in the future if he wanted to go back to teaching.  Schools love it when their instructors go off and due things to further build their credentials and then come back later with an even more stacked resume because it brings more prestige to the school.  I'm not convinced it is Mangini either, but the reasons you gave don't really make sense.

Sorry about misspelling Berklee...

What I was trying to explain is that financially, in the long run, Mangini is better teaching than touring. I'm pretty sure he gets medical insurance and other benefits. I think his kids are 2 and 4 IIRC. I also understand your point about teaching and going on and off for credentials and stuff...

Either way, Mangini is not my choice either. I bet is Thomas Lang or John Macaluso. I would be surprised if Mangini was chosen (although not shocked since Mangini has played with James). Lang, Mangini, or Macaluso would be a great addition to DT.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #644 on: December 02, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »
It's not that it was a spelling mistake.  It's that Berkeley and Berklee are two completely different schools on opposite sides of the country.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nineaxe

« Reply #645 on: December 02, 2010, 05:26:35 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Mangini

Another source pointing to Mangini.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #646 on: December 02, 2010, 05:28:24 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Mangini

Another source pointing to Mangini.

[Verification needed]. Let me explain how Wikipedia works...

Offline Pierced Brosnan

« Reply #647 on: December 02, 2010, 07:53:08 PM »
I so hope he gets chosen  :lol amazing skills too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iyd4uQ5WEo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Mangini would be pretty cool still.. but as someone mentioned, a bit of a safe bet. Though I suppose the band will have picked who they jammed best with, and if that guy was Mangini (or whoever else), then it's the right choice.
The band describing John Myung:
JLB: "He's deep. He's deep in thought"
JP: "We have a deep understanding musically"
JR: "John Myung is a very deep kind of person"
MP: "John Myung is an enigma... N he's deep as fuck yo'"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #648 on: December 03, 2010, 04:56:59 AM »
Mangini would be great.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #649 on: December 03, 2010, 11:00:18 AM »
Surprised I haven't heard much discussion/hype about jp's tweets yesterday regarding video recording @ Zoom.

I'm not from NY, but I was thinking he was referring to this place:
https://us.zoommedia.com/en-us/AboutZoom/Company.aspx

"Targeted guerilla media, sampling, promotions" eh? I could be wrong, not familiar with the area...but

Any speculation about what type of video may have been recorded?

(I'm thinking it's related to the new drummer) 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #650 on: December 03, 2010, 11:08:53 AM »
Surprised I haven't heard much discussion/hype about jp's tweets yesterday regarding video recording @ Zoom.

"Targeted guerilla media, sampling, promotions" eh? I could be wrong, not familiar with the area...but

For all I know, it may be for his new solo album.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #651 on: December 03, 2010, 11:12:49 AM »

For all I know, it may be for his new solo album.

B.Lee

True, True. I remember him mentioning his solo album is in the works.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #652 on: December 03, 2010, 11:33:55 AM »
In a recent interview, JP said that he hasn't recorded anything from the solo album.  I doubt he'd jump into a video this soon.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: December 03, 2010, 12:08:59 PM »
It's not that it was a spelling mistake.  It's that Berkeley and Berklee are two completely different schools on opposite sides of the country.
Dude, you just taught me something because I didn't know that! :lol

So which is the one in California?

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #654 on: December 03, 2010, 12:26:55 PM »
In a recent interview, JP said that he hasn't recorded anything from the solo album.  I doubt he'd jump into a video this soon.

Hm, that's a good point. I don't think he'd do that then.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #655 on: December 03, 2010, 12:34:12 PM »

Hm, that's a good point. I don't think he'd do that then.

OK. So, maybe it's for the new drummer then.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #656 on: December 03, 2010, 12:41:48 PM »
It's not that it was a spelling mistake.  It's that Berkeley and Berklee are two completely different schools on opposite sides of the country.
Dude, you just taught me something because I didn't know that! :lol

So which is the one in California?

U.C. Berkeley (aka "Cal.," "Berkeley") is in Berkeley, California (where Lonestar's restaurant is).

Berklee School of Music is in Boston.  (there is another Berklee School of Music in the San Diego area as well; not sure if it is a different school or a satellite campus)

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #657 on: December 03, 2010, 12:58:34 PM »

Actually I'm afraid the Zoom JP is refering to is this https://www.samsontech.com/products/brandpage.cfm?brandID=4&appIDhighlight=18

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #658 on: December 03, 2010, 01:01:12 PM »

Actually I'm afraid the Zoom JP is refering to is this https://www.samsontech.com/products/brandpage.cfm?brandID=4&appIDhighlight=18

Oh, yeah, I had forgotten about this one. You may be right after all. Ah, speculations...

B.Lee

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #659 on: December 03, 2010, 04:11:11 PM »
Man, I feel dumb. Good call Leorimus!

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #660 on: December 03, 2010, 04:17:33 PM »
Does anyone else hope it's some unknown guy?
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline berrege

« Reply #661 on: December 03, 2010, 04:19:04 PM »
To me all of these guys are unknown lol

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: December 03, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »
Pretty unlikely, since only 7 world class drummers were chosen to audition.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #663 on: December 03, 2010, 04:31:19 PM »
Pretty unlikely, since only 7 world class drummers were chosen to audition.

yeah.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: December 03, 2010, 04:34:40 PM »
Although, it would've been cool to see some of the reactions...  :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 04:42:39 PM by kartmaze2 »