23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1059162 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #595 on: December 01, 2010, 02:22:19 PM »
they'll lose interest in bashing him and move on to the next reason to get on their soapbox.  Sure, some of the more tenacios critics and the "MP-Fan-Forever!" types will fan the flames from now to eternity, but that would be the case no matter what.  But by album release time months farther down the road, the dust will pretty much have settled.

This is the reason that someone like Charlie Z was unlikely to be chosen as the new drummer will need chops obviously, but more than that, he'll need balls!
Who says he doesn't have balls?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline pianoman

« Reply #596 on: December 01, 2010, 02:39:11 PM »
I could almost guarantee that the drummer will be revealed at 6:00 on Christmas morning.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #597 on: December 01, 2010, 02:40:15 PM »
I could almost guarantee that the drummer will be revealed at 6:00 on Christmas morning.
:rollin

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #598 on: December 01, 2010, 02:47:21 PM »

That would be amazing. The new drummer actually playing 6:00 in an introductional video would blow my mind.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #599 on: December 01, 2010, 02:48:17 PM »
This made me lol so hard...
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #600 on: December 01, 2010, 03:19:56 PM »

That would be amazing. The new drummer actually playing 6:00 in an introductional video would blow my mind.

Yeah, just imagine Thomas Lang playing 6:00's intro  :eek  :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #601 on: December 01, 2010, 10:05:39 PM »

Yeah, just imagine Thomas Lang playing 6:00's intro  :eek  :lol

He'd play the whole damn thing with his feet while giving the camera the middle finger with both hands.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #602 on: December 02, 2010, 02:49:21 AM »
Like everyone else here, I have no info as to who the next drummer will be. However, I think it's going to be John Macaluso.  Perfect fit for me in terms of age, he's a New Yorker, talented enough etc etc.
I know there was talk of him going to live in Sweden, but his last two Facebook posts have been:

Monday - "Headed to Europe for a little while to finally finish ARK's album." which contradicts his earlier post that he was moving to Sweden in January.

Today - "An amazing day in the life of Johnny Mac!"

Let the speculation continue . . .

Offline Aquila Chrysaetos

« Reply #603 on: December 02, 2010, 02:50:07 AM »

Priceless  :D

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #604 on: December 02, 2010, 03:44:20 AM »
However, I think it's going to be John Macaluso.  Perfect fit for me in terms of age, he's a New Yorker, talented enough etc etc.
He is awesome! his style reminds me of a combination of Don famularo's + Portnoys drumming. And he does very well on a lesser extravagant kit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_24lWBHs7A

EDIT: and here he is on a kit thats not exactly a piece of shit lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw3NyDBvhbo&feature=related

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #605 on: December 02, 2010, 04:59:51 AM »
Like everyone else here, I have no info as to who the next drummer will be. However, I think it's going to be John Macaluso.  Perfect fit for me in terms of age, he's a New Yorker, talented enough etc etc.
I know there was talk of him going to live in Sweden, but his last two Facebook posts have been:

Monday - "Headed to Europe for a little while to finally finish ARK's album." which contradicts his earlier post that he was moving to Sweden in January.

If he joined the band, what would introduce two funny wrinkles:

- Three Johns in one musical group.  I'm not sure any band is meant to take that.
 - How do we abbreviate his name?  We can't use JM, and I don't think its fair that JM has to become JMX all the time, he was there first.  The only option I see is that Macaluso becomes JMac.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #606 on: December 02, 2010, 05:19:44 AM »

- Three Johns in one musical group.  I'm not sure any band is meant to take that.
 - How do we abbreviate his name?  We can't use JM, and I don't think its fair that JM has to become JMX all the time, he was there first.  The only option I see is that Macaluso becomes JMac.

Or it could be JMC for all I know. Just seen the freeform solo, what a groove this guy has! Wow!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline nineaxe

« Reply #607 on: December 02, 2010, 05:50:08 AM »
Like everyone else here, I have no info as to who the next drummer will be. However, I think it's going to be John Macaluso.  Perfect fit for me in terms of age, he's a New Yorker, talented enough etc etc.

- Three Johns in one musical group.  I'm not sure any band is meant to take that.
 - How do we abbreviate his name?  We can't use JM, and I don't think its fair that JM has to become JMX all the time, he was there first.  The only option I see is that Macaluso becomes JMac.

I don't think we'll need worry about that. We'll be calling the new drummer MM.

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #608 on: December 02, 2010, 05:58:14 AM »
The more I see of Johnny Mac the more I dig him.

Lang, Mangini, JMac,

WIN WIN WIN

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #609 on: December 02, 2010, 06:21:29 AM »
Like everyone else here, I have no info as to who the next drummer will be. However, I think it's going to be John Macaluso.  Perfect fit for me in terms of age, he's a New Yorker, talented enough etc etc.

- Three Johns in one musical group.  I'm not sure any band is meant to take that.
 - How do we abbreviate his name?  We can't use JM, and I don't think its fair that JM has to become JMX all the time, he was there first.  The only option I see is that Macaluso becomes JMac.

I don't think we'll need worry about that. We'll be calling the new drummer MM.

Wishful thinking?
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #610 on: December 02, 2010, 06:24:02 AM »

Petrucci: "So, we just realized that your first and last initials are the same as John Myung's."
John Mac: "Yes..."
Petrucci: "Well, that's a bit of a problem for internet forums to abbreviate your name, there will be confusion in every thread!"
John Mac: "Yes..."
Myung: "*ahem*"
Petrucci: "Do you have a middle name that you can use instead of 'John'?"
John Mac: "No..."
Petrucci: "How about you let yourself out, we'll let you know our decision...maybe."
John Mac: "..."
Myung: "......"
Rudess: ":neverusethis:"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: December 02, 2010, 06:26:29 AM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: December 02, 2010, 06:28:03 AM »

And here it is the new DT drummer!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #613 on: December 02, 2010, 07:35:21 AM »
At least it's not that monkey.  That dude's cymbal work is awesome, but he creeps me the heck out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: December 02, 2010, 07:55:15 AM »
Does it plug in to JR's iPad?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: December 02, 2010, 08:15:59 AM »
If John Macaluso gets in, I will have 2 degree connection to the band!!  sweeeet.  I voted for Macaluso when this thread went up because of age, he's from NY, and he toured with JLB for EoP.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #616 on: December 02, 2010, 08:35:47 AM »
Well, since everyone likes to have fun posting theories about who the new drummer is and support it with totally trivial stuff found on the net (facebook, twitter etc.) I thought I'd join the fun!

And since my bet has always been for Thomas Lang...

here it goes... I think DT might announce the new drummer after Dec. 13, why? Well, Thomas Lang is having he's drumming boot camp Dec. 10-12, that way he would be available to do press. I don't think it would be a wise move to announce the new drummer in the same press release announcing that they are hitting the studio. These are two big events and they should be announced separate, so they can get double the exposure. Plus, they will surely get many requests for interviews and such, and they need to get those out of the way before entering the studio.

Now the trivial stuff for speculation...
If you are a long time Thomas Lang fan, you know that these Drumming Boot Camps are done regularly during the year... Well he posted on he's Twitter account a couple of days ago, that this upcoming Boot Camp in Seattle will be "IT" for some time... mmmm... recording, press, touring... not much time drumming boot camps!

Plus he's following John, Jordan and James on Twitter... if he's following them because he just a fan that would be cool, but then I guess he would also be following Mike which he is not.

Anyway...  I was bored and wanted to add to the speculation!! :)

Truth is time is getting closer for DT to announce the new drummer (whoever it is) and I'm really looking forward to the new music! :metal

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #617 on: December 02, 2010, 09:04:49 AM »
Well, since everyone likes to have fun posting theories about who the new drummer is and support it with totally trivial stuff found on the net (facebook, twitter etc.) I thought I'd join the fun!

And since my bet has always been for Thomas Lang...

here it goes... I think DT might announce the new drummer after Dec. 13, why? Well, Thomas Lang is having he's drumming boot camp Dec. 10-12, that way he would be available to do press. I don't think it would be a wise move to announce the new drummer in the same press release announcing that they are hitting the studio. These are two big events and they should be announced separate, so they can get double the exposure. Plus, they will surely get many requests for interviews and such, and they need to get those out of the way before entering the studio.

Now the trivial stuff for speculation...
If you are a long time Thomas Lang fan, you know that these Drumming Boot Camps are done regularly during the year... Well he posted on he's Twitter account a couple of days ago, that this upcoming Boot Camp in Seattle will be "IT" for some time... mmmm... recording, press, touring... not much time drumming boot camps!

Plus he's following John, Jordan and James on Twitter... if he's following them because he just a fan that would be cool, but then I guess he would also be following Mike which he is not.

Anyway...  I was bored and wanted to add to the speculation!! :)

Truth is time is getting closer for DT to announce the new drummer (whoever it is) and I'm really looking forward to the new music! :metal

Where does it say that it is "it" ? It does say it is "it" for 2010 though (which makes sense, since were in Dec 2010), and his facebook says the the next series of drum camps will be outside of North America.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #618 on: December 02, 2010, 09:18:09 AM »
Maybe it's Lang because of the lack of hints and teasing on his twitter. And the guy is a regular poster about all sorts of crap.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
For what it's worth...
« Reply #619 on: December 02, 2010, 09:43:11 AM »
I heard it's Mangini, through a source that's also under RoadRunner. Mind you though, it's through like 3 channels. Might totally be wrong.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: For what it's worth...
« Reply #620 on: December 02, 2010, 09:44:43 AM »
I don't even care who it is at this point, I just want to know. He seems as good a fit as any other.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: December 02, 2010, 09:50:56 AM »
I think JMac would be great in some prog rock group like Transatlantic but he's not very metal guy, so he doesn't fit to DT very well.

But that's my opinion, I still give a vote for Mangini!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline LKap13

« Reply #622 on: December 02, 2010, 09:53:59 AM »
Damn, of all the potential guys Mike Mangini would be my very last choice. I kinda hope you're wrong  :P

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #623 on: December 02, 2010, 10:07:36 AM »
If John Macaluso gets in, I will have 2 degree connection to the band!!  sweeeet.  I voted for Macaluso when this thread went up because of age, he's from NY, and he toured with JLB for EoP.

I also voted for Johnny Mac. He maybe less impressive than some others that have been mentioned, but he is SO creative. I love his drumming.

B.Lee

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: December 02, 2010, 10:13:54 AM »
If it was Johnny M, we could say that DT got a Mac.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #625 on: December 02, 2010, 10:34:33 AM »
Honestly, I don't think DT will allow any scope for this info to leak. So far, as far as I know, there have been two relatively, or supposedly, reliable sources stating who the drummer is, and they have pointed to different drummers (Aquilles and now Mangini). We will know when it is announced... it's painful not knowing who it is but thats just how it is. Now if the actual drummer comes out and states they were picked, or one of the DT guys tweets about it, then thats a different story.
Damn, of all the potential guys Mike Mangini would be my very last choice. I kinda hope you're wrong  :P
It's funny that there is always a response saying that they hope that the apparent drummer is not in fact the drummer. On the Virgil message board, there is an almost identical post to this in relation to Aquilles Priester being the drummer.  I'm really starting to understand how there are going to be heaps of dissapointed DT fans out there, even if Lang is picked.
I think Mangini could pull it off, although that symmetrical set up he has may be difficult to integrate the sound that Portnoy brought to the band. He is a freak of nature nonetheless.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: December 02, 2010, 10:43:18 AM »
 :o I hope it's true. Mangini is a damn beast on the drum, one of the most versatile and technical for sure. He's entertaining when he plays too  :tup
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #627 on: December 02, 2010, 10:48:51 AM »
Mike's got the chops and the personality. I'm fine with the choice.

Offline Mechanix1911

« Reply #628 on: December 02, 2010, 11:06:40 AM »
... I LOVE YOUUUUUUUUU, FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH I REALLY DOOOOOOO...

This can't be 100% sure. And I hope it's not Mangini, but if it is... I don't actually care, I just want the new DT album to be kickass.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #629 on: December 02, 2010, 11:21:28 AM »
I don't care at all WHO it is! I'm sure he'll be a quality drummer! I just want to KNOW! :facepalm: