23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058796 times)

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #560 on: November 29, 2010, 11:48:28 AM »
Derek Roddy is amazing, although he is almost stricly a death metal drummer. I've seen him at several clinics now, and as creative and technically brilliant as he is, he is very blast beat/double-bass/speed orientated.
BTW saw Virgil at a clinic last night. He was freaking unbelievable! his coordination is out of this world! were talking about someone who can, with great competence, manage three high hats in separate poly rhythms (further broken down into their own subdivided patterns), along with the rest of the kit, and integrate it with control and groove. DT is MAD for not picking him (ok maybe not in terms of style and perhaps even "the right look"). And his power good lord ive never heard someone hit the drums so hard at such great speeds whilst being so complex! makes the others style of drumming on this "list" look like childs play! In saying that i think virgil would get very bored very quickly in DT lol. Too bad its not likely that he was picked (he said that he's going to commence a new Virgil album along with an orchestral thing (self composed) and some indian musical project). My impression is that it COULD have worked brilliantly (besides virgil most likely getting bored :P)...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #561 on: November 29, 2010, 12:47:26 PM »
From the Blabbermouth comments section at this location...

Yeah I know... not a reliable source (at all). The only thing I find interesting is the corroboration on AP audition, and Derek Roddy, which seems feasible at first glance anyways:

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=149975&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+blabbermouth+(Blabbermouth.net's+Daily+Headlines)

"here's the 7 who auditioned in alphabetical order: virgil donati, thomas lang, mike mangini, marco minnemann, aquiles priester, derek roddy, peter wildoer. portnoy's not staying in a7x they are auditioning his replacement now.

roadrunner was just sold to warner bros. -- dt only owes roadrunner one more product. dt filmed all the auditions for a dvd product. wouldn't it be super for dt to deliver up one dvd to roadrunner -- take portnoy back and then do what they want with their next album that will benefit from all this free press??? that's a lot of negotiating power in the sale of a record label for an act like dt that is pretty much the biggest thing roadrunner has (sure there's nickleback). dt said that they auditioned, they never said they hired one of the guys. ax7 is on the road till next week. look for no news until after 12/8. portnoy is on his way back to dt"

Definite bullshit. For a start, RoadRunner have been owned by Warner since 2007. The guy is just spreading rumours.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #562 on: November 29, 2010, 12:58:29 PM »
I just checked out a drum solo by Derek Roddy. While I must say it sounded very robotic and lacked creativity, their is no denying this guy has phenomenal talent.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #563 on: November 29, 2010, 03:32:54 PM »

Yeah I know... not a reliable source (at all). The only thing I find interesting is the corroboration on AP audition, and Derek Roddy, which seems feasible at first glance anyways:

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=149975&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+blabbermouth+(Blabbermouth.net's+Daily+Headlines)

"here's the 7 who auditioned in alphabetical order: virgil donati, thomas lang, mike mangini, marco minnemann, aquiles priester, derek roddy, peter wildoer. portnoy's not staying in a7x they are auditioning his replacement now.

roadrunner was just sold to warner bros. -- dt only owes roadrunner one more product. dt filmed all the auditions for a dvd product. wouldn't it be super for dt to deliver up one dvd to roadrunner -- take portnoy back and then do what they want with their next album that will benefit from all this free press??? that's a lot of negotiating power in the sale of a record label for an act like dt that is pretty much the biggest thing roadrunner has (sure there's nickleback). dt said that they auditioned, they never said they hired one of the guys. ax7 is on the road till next week. look for no news until after 12/8. portnoy is on his way back to dt"

Definite bullshit. For a start, RoadRunner have been owned by Warner since 2007. The guy is just spreading rumours.

True, however they just recently took 100% control. They purchased 73.5% in 2007. I still think this rumor is untrue.

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=149263

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #564 on: November 29, 2010, 03:51:58 PM »
73.5% still gives them full control, so there's no real difference. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #565 on: November 29, 2010, 03:57:20 PM »
Funny, I didn't know most of the auditioners. I checked out the most voted ones (except Moore and Zombie MP  :lol ) and, well, they truly deserve to be the most voted. I think that both Thomas Lang and Charlie Z are great. Voted for Charlie since I got to see him playing DT stuff and he does it amazingly well.

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #566 on: November 29, 2010, 03:59:51 PM »
Funny, I didn't know most of the auditioners. I checked out the most voted ones (except Moore and Zombie MP  :lol ) and, well, they truly deserve to be the most voted. I think that both Thomas Lang and Charlie Z are great. Voted for Charlie since I got to see him playing DT stuff and he does it amazingly well.

:facepalm:

Charlie Z is one of the only ones to come out and say he wasn't asked to audition. You may wanna retract your vote.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #567 on: November 29, 2010, 04:03:41 PM »
Crap, that sucks... Well, I'll vote for Thomas Lang then  :biggrin:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #568 on: November 29, 2010, 04:04:51 PM »

I'd cum drum sticks if they chose him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #569 on: November 29, 2010, 04:10:03 PM »

True, however they just recently took 100% control. They purchased 73.5% in 2007. I still think this rumor is untrue.

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=149263

Good point, and nice first post.

I think it's a BS theory because after seeing the 'drummer audition dvd' I wouldn't want MP back. It's like: here are these unbelievable, outrageous,  'world-class' drummers absolutely owning our stuff, but wait...hey everyone MP's rejoining!...sorry MP but *at least* four of the seven names (in this list) drum circles around you.

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #570 on: November 29, 2010, 04:18:19 PM »

I'd cum drum sticks if they chose him.

He's got my vote as well! Versatile, technique-oriented, writes music, speaks English, and seems to have a great work attitude. Like someone posted earlier, it'll prolly come down to who meshes the best with the band.

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #571 on: November 29, 2010, 05:14:42 PM »
Looks like Peter Wildoer can be crossed off the list...check out his reply in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTZZ42Uu9aI

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: November 29, 2010, 05:51:01 PM »
Looks like Peter Wildoer can be crossed off the list...check out his reply in this video

You mean this?

"Ha ha, yeah Dream Theater would have been cool..."
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #573 on: November 29, 2010, 05:57:34 PM »

You mean this?

Yep!

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #574 on: November 29, 2010, 06:29:28 PM »

You mean this?

Yep!

Awesome! That's definitive enough for me at this point. PW can be crossed off of the list.
Great video, but PW is just not the same caliber as these other drummers IMHO.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #575 on: November 29, 2010, 07:29:19 PM »
He could have said that to fool everyone and to keep a secret.

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #576 on: November 29, 2010, 07:43:34 PM »

Hmmm... seems pretty unlikely?... or maybe that's just what he wants us to think!  :lol

I'm scratching him off the list.

Online Adami

« Reply #577 on: November 29, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »

Hmmm... seems pretty unlikely?... or maybe that's just what he wants us to think!  :lol

And I'm scratching my balls in relief.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #578 on: November 29, 2010, 09:27:11 PM »

And I'm scratching my balls in relief.

Haha, me too.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: November 30, 2010, 12:49:24 AM »

Yeah, but then Zeleny could have said he didn't audition to fool everyone, too. I'm tempted to doubt it though.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Online Adami

« Reply #580 on: November 30, 2010, 12:50:07 AM »
And mike portnoy could have said he quit the band in order to foll everyone!

OMGWTFBBQ!?!?!?!?!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #581 on: November 30, 2010, 03:57:09 AM »
And mike portnoy could have said he quit the band in order to foll everyone!

OMGWTFBBQ!?!?!?!?!

My God, how that has backfired if it were true!!!!!

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #582 on: November 30, 2010, 05:11:39 AM »

He seems like a very funny guy too, judging from his comment (The smiley face and the "Ha, ha"). If it's him, he would be a great fit with DT because of his apparent down-to-earth personnality and sense of humor. The chemistry is a big part of the deal so maybe it's him after all! :)

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #583 on: November 30, 2010, 08:12:02 AM »
Its obvious whomever is chosen will be extremely talented. I just hope he is humble, not cocky, and fully respect the Portnoy legacy and all he brought to the music of Dream Theater.

:tick2:

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #584 on: November 30, 2010, 08:19:10 AM »
Its obvious whomever is chosen will be extremely talented. I just hope he is humble, not cocky, and fully respect the Portnoy legacy and all he brought to the music of Dream Theater.

I mean, why would he be humble? Do you think portnoy is? Portnoy is/was not c***y at times? And I'm sure he will respect the legacy. What I hope is that they don't go for a true "metal" drummer : MM, MM or TL would be good in my books.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #585 on: November 30, 2010, 08:21:27 AM »

I mean, why would he be humble? Do you think portnoy is? Portnoy is/was not c***y at times? And I'm sure he will respect the legacy. What I hope is that they don't go for a true "metal" drummer : MM, MM or TL would be good in my books.

B.Lee
Well, maybe humble is a poor choice of word. I hope he is respectful of the shoes he is filling.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #586 on: November 30, 2010, 09:17:21 AM »

B.Lee
Well, maybe humble is a poor choice of word. I hope he is respectful of the shoes he is filling.

Well, I'm sure he will be. Don't wory about that.

B.Lee

EDIT : well, as day go by, I'm more and more under the impression that they will give the drummer's name just before entering the studio.  Whoever that is, there will surely be a lot of criticism and maybe the guys want to keep all the positive vibes. Reading harsh comments a month or so before entering the studio may have a negative impact on theit work, whether conscious or not. But that's just my 2 cents of course.

B.Lee
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 01:52:35 AM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline roccer

« Reply #587 on: December 01, 2010, 08:26:16 AM »

[/quote]

EDIT : well, as day go by, I'm more and more under the impression that they will give the drummer's name just before entering the studio.  Whoever that is, there will surely be a lot of criticism and maybe the guys want to keep all the positive vibes. Reading harsh comments a month or so before entering the studio may have a negative impact on theit work, whether conscious or not. But that's just my 2 cents of course.

B.Lee
[/quote]

That's interesting. I think it's more possible that this is the reason for delaying the announcement rather than it having to do with any legal issues to be resolved.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #588 on: December 01, 2010, 08:47:44 AM »

B.Lee

I hope that's not their rationale.  And to explain why, I'm inventing a new theory - The Wii Theory.

Remember when Nintendo first announced the name of the console?  Almost everyone hated it.  The people who were saying to be mature justifiably came off as illogical.  It still makes no sense how Nintendo could choose a name with so many unfortunate double meanings that just sounds kinda goofy.

But, after a few months had passed and the Wii actually came out, all those feelings just kinda died.  Nintendo worked hard to build up the brand of the brand of the console around the name and show how its offbeat yet familiar and universal name connected with the offbeat yet familiar and universal nature of the console.

The name's still ridiculous, but we don't think about that anymore.  All the negativity was poured out into the internet long before Nintendo needed to actually market the console, and thus they were able to promote it on their terms and get people to appreciate it.

DT's new drummer could use the same kind of treatment.  I would think it's in DT's best interest for them to get all of the immediate reaction to the new guy out of the way so they can enter the studios without being constantly bombarded by reactions to it on the internet.

At this point, when they go into the studio, people will be thinking more about the new drummer than getting psyched about the new material.  Maybe the band wants this, although I wouldn't know why.  It doesn't seem to me like you don't want to be working amidst the pressure of running PR on one of the most important decisions the band has ever made.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #589 on: December 01, 2010, 09:34:50 AM »
Yeah, but I think the theory actually works in DT's favor in that scenario.  Don't forget that if they go into the studio in January, we still aren't likely to see a release until mid-to-late 2011.  That's plenty of time for the Wii phenomenon to run its course.  And with them in the studio while all the discussion is happening, I think the result will be that they are too busy/occupied to notice and it will be easier to shrug off and disregard.  And with the inevitable video snippets that will be released while they are in the studio, a lot of your average critics will either see that Drummer X does indeed have impressive chops and will shut up OR that Drummer X has impressive enough chops that they'll lose interest in bashing him and move on to the next reason to get on their soapbox.  Sure, some of the more tenacios critics and the "MP-Fan-Forever!" types will fan the flames from now to eternity, but that would be the case no matter what.  But by album release time months farther down the road, the dust will pretty much have settled.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #590 on: December 01, 2010, 09:48:02 AM »
Yeah, but I think the theory actually works in DT's favor in that scenario.  Don't forget that if they go into the studio in January, we still aren't likely to see a release until mid-to-late 2011.  That's plenty of time for the Wii phenomenon to run its course.  And with them in the studio while all the discussion is happening, I think the result will be that they are too busy/occupied to notice and it will be easier to shrug off and disregard.  And with the inevitable video snippets that will be released while they are in the studio, a lot of your average critics will either see that Drummer X does indeed have impressive chops and will shut up OR that Drummer X has impressive enough chops that they'll lose interest in bashing him and move on to the next reason to get on their soapbox.  Sure, some of the more tenacios critics and the "MP-Fan-Forever!" types will fan the flames from now to eternity, but that would be the case no matter what.  But by album release time months farther down the road, the dust will pretty much have settled.

One big thing I'd say is the timing of the new drummer announcement has pretty much nothing to do with how the new album release will go down.  The anticipation for it will be insane no matter what.

I don't think they'll be able to get to work in the studio without being on the pulse of the fanbase's reaction to the new drummer.  JR's pretty deep into social media, JP's on his way there, and JLB's dipped his toes in the water.

The interesting angle you throw out there is DT using the studio sessions to make the drummer look good.  I kinda like that one.  But I think of it this way:

- It's in the band's best interest to do P/R for this decision.  They should want to explain the rationale for their pick, make the fanbase comfortable with the drummer as a person, and make it indisputable that they think this guy will make their album rock.
 - I wouldn't think it's best for them to do all this while writing music.  I'm not DT and for all I know they'd enjoy that - but I'm not convinced.
 - The Wii theory is in play.  This will generate massive response that the band almost certainly won't be able to ignore while writing, if only for practical reasons.
 - Therefore, unless DT wants to write music and do PR at the same time, it would be in their best interest to announce the new drummer ASAP so the reaction to him and die down.

I think where we disagree is the stress they'll feel from the fallout of the announcement and dealing with it.  I think it's going to be rather substantial, but for all I know they're ready for anything the fan base can throw at them and already have a way of selling the new guy they're confident with.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #591 on: December 01, 2010, 11:19:26 AM »
I dont think DT is using as much psychology as many of you think.  The timing of the announcement probably has to do with finishing up contracts and schedules for next year.  I doubt they are really thinking up creative and sensative ways to announce the drummer. The DT guys seem pretty straight forward and genuinely psyched about their next chapter.  I find it hard to believe that they are "stressed" about anything really.

They may be handling all of the behind the scenes stuff and/or maybe even scheduling some photo sessions to go with their press release.  Who knows really?  But I doubt those guys are really struggling for "a way" to let everyone know.  If anything, I would guess that they are chomping at the bit for everyone to know and hit the studio ready to roll.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: December 01, 2010, 12:02:25 PM »
I dont think DT is using as much psychology as many of you think.  The timing of the announcement probably has to do with finishing up contracts and schedules for next year.  I doubt they are really thinking up creative and sensative ways to announce the drummer. The DT guys seem pretty straight forward and genuinely psyched about their next chapter.  I find it hard to believe that they are "stressed" about anything really.

They may be handling all of the behind the scenes stuff and/or maybe even scheduling some photo sessions to go with their press release.  Who knows really?  But I doubt those guys are really struggling for "a way" to let everyone know.  If anything, I would guess that they are chomping at the bit for everyone to know and hit the studio ready to roll.

Yeah I agree with this.  DT is not trying to come up with some master plan.  They probably have to wait on legal issues, and perhaps the go ahead from the record company.  I'm sure RR has something to do with this whole process.  They probably want to release an official release/media blitz all at the same time.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #593 on: December 01, 2010, 12:13:37 PM »
Yeah, I think this is closer to the reality.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #594 on: December 01, 2010, 01:14:04 PM »
they'll lose interest in bashing him and move on to the next reason to get on their soapbox.  Sure, some of the more tenacios critics and the "MP-Fan-Forever!" types will fan the flames from now to eternity, but that would be the case no matter what.  But by album release time months farther down the road, the dust will pretty much have settled.

This is the reason that someone like Charlie Z was unlikely to be chosen as the new drummer will need chops obviously, but more than that, he'll need balls!