23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058907 times)

Offline TL

Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #525 on: November 28, 2010, 01:52:08 AM »
a) This guy doesnt speak english very well and I think lives in South America and im sure the DT guys, as open as they are, would like to replace MP with someone who not only lives in the US but is American.
The language thing is probably accurate, but I don't think not being American would be a dealbreaker. I mean, they've had a member for the past 19 years who doesn't live in the US.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #526 on: November 28, 2010, 01:52:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure they will choose somebody with English as their native tongue.  BJ seems a more appropriate choice.  That and I seriously doubt they would try to deal with work visas. I don't even think they could actually have one issued for him. 

Well, both TL and MaMi live in the US and have done so for at least several years, so I don't think that there would be a visa problem (to be fair, I'm not too familiar when it comes to that, so if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me).

As for your first point: I don't think that speaking English as their first language is necessarily required. As long as the drummer is fluent in English, it shouldn't be much of an issue imo.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #527 on: November 28, 2010, 02:14:47 AM »
they've had a member for the past 19 years who doesn't live in the US.

Who?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #528 on: November 28, 2010, 02:18:43 AM »
they've had a member for the past 19 years who doesn't live in the US.

Who?

Really?

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #529 on: November 28, 2010, 02:20:08 AM »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #530 on: November 28, 2010, 02:21:31 AM »
Really.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #531 on: November 28, 2010, 02:23:40 AM »
JLB

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #532 on: November 28, 2010, 02:24:17 AM »
Just ignore it. For some reason (tiredness, I am up really late and feel weird), I thought TL was talking about Myung, and was going to go along with the whole "Who is Myung?" But I know JLB lives in America's hat.

I messed up, and I admit it. What more do you want from me?

adami

Offline dvargas

« Reply #533 on: November 28, 2010, 03:15:55 AM »
Well I obviously don't know AP's immigration status in the US but I can tell u the guy has

a.  A tour scheduled through Feb 2011. Not that this would be deal breaker.  But there are contractual obligations. 

b. I take it he would have to enter the US on a visitor's visa.  Likely a b1 or b2.  With this he is at the mercy of the immigration officer at the airport who is te one that actually sets the length of his stay. This can be extended while in the US but it is sometimes hard to do.   

c.  If he were to apply for a work visa ( I doubt that could happen - maybe through RRR), these are issued only once a year. I believe around April or so. 

The guy is obviously good.  But I for one doubt DT would wanna deal with all this shit. 

I am interested in knowing what is JLB's immigration status.  But he's probably a resident. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #534 on: November 28, 2010, 04:07:18 AM »
I don't want to step on anyones toes here, but is it just me or is marco minnemanns drumming highly overrated? Like the guy used his symbols like 65-70% of the time.

I always thought MP uses his cymbals more than other drummers in the genre. He seems to do alot of complex stuff there rather than hitting the toms very fast as other drummers do. I'm not a drummer but that's how I've always seen MP's style.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #535 on: November 28, 2010, 04:28:19 AM »
All I can say is that there is nothing overrated about Marco Minneman.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #536 on: November 28, 2010, 05:25:45 AM »
What I love is that all the speculations are based on a list of 5 guys given to us by Stevetheater. Eventually, the chosen one may not be on that list. Btw, to what extent can we trust the list? As it's not official, everything can be possible.

B.Lee
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 06:37:00 AM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #537 on: November 28, 2010, 06:22:39 AM »
Stevetheater definitely knows people.  But yes, anything is possible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #538 on: November 28, 2010, 06:39:26 AM »

What I'm aiming at is not to question Steve's list, but up to now, we've only had 5 names (or 6 if the Macaluso thing is valid) :  who is the last one / who are the last 2 guys?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #539 on: November 28, 2010, 07:50:11 AM »

What I'm aiming at is not to question Steve's list, but up to now, we've only had 5 names (or 6 if the Macaluso thing is valid) :  who is the last one / who are the last 2 guys?

B.Lee
*shrugs*

Hopefully there will be an announcement soon, and all speculation can cease.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #540 on: November 28, 2010, 08:44:52 AM »
I wonder if the OP would consider taking down the poll? It's very long and I have to scroll past it everytime I want to read the thread..
Just saying...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #541 on: November 28, 2010, 09:11:46 AM »

Speculation will never cease here. As soon as they make the announcement, we'll start speculating about why this guy was chosen and why the others didn't make it.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #542 on: November 28, 2010, 09:35:52 AM »

Speculation will never cease here. As soon as they make the announcement, we'll start speculating about why this guy was chosen and why the others didn't make it.

Then others will speculate why the speculation doesn't stop.

BALANCED ALL THE WHILE

Offline Mladen

« Reply #543 on: November 28, 2010, 09:49:52 AM »
I'd say it's about time to hear the good news.  :metal

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #544 on: November 28, 2010, 10:11:45 AM »
I don't like speculations, i only like

speculoos.

B.Lee

Note that the joke is not mine, I borrowed it from Yourmajesty.net. Still funny though.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #545 on: November 28, 2010, 11:35:19 AM »

hmmmm...

Offline robwebster

« Reply #546 on: November 28, 2010, 11:44:31 AM »
Also, I'm getting kinda weary of reading all the posts saying DT's new drummer is going to lead them to a new renaissance or something. Drummers just don't have that much of an effect on the music. The majority of the music is written by Petrucci and Rudess. Mike was deeply involved too, but not in terms of writing. Mike was more like a producer, giving ideas about how songs should be arranged.

But in the role of "producer", MP appeared to have a lot of influence.

Eh. At the end of the day, he wasn't the one coming up with the riffs.
We only see a snifter of the process, and of that snifter we know that he wrote the main contingent of A Rite of Passage, for one.

He's a musician. He writes music. And arranges it. Admittedly, none of us can tell a Mike Portnoy riff just by listening. That means they're probably fairly indistinguishable from the JP riffs. They've spent twenty-five years writing together, too, so they'll have synched quite well. But it's very hard to write like somebody else. No matter how much King Crimson influence Maynard James Keenan has, his songs still sound Maynarddy. And Mike Portnoy's music sounds Mike Portnoy-y.

It's hard to tell how it'll change. But you're removing one unique mind from an increasingly small hive. And a fairly pivotal one, too. It will sound noticeably different. It will still sound like Dream Theater. They won't become a jazz fusion band. But Petrucci's main collaborator will become Jordan Rudess. Mike Portnoy's idea of what belongs on the cutting room floor is different to what John Petrucci's might be. They won't transform, but the emphasis will shift to different places. Petrucci's quite melodically inclined, Rudess is more technological.

The sound absolutely will change. It won't be a revolution, and they'll be continuing along the same line, from where they left off, but it's actually impossible for a band without Mike Portnoy to sound identical to a band which has Mike Portnoy in it.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #547 on: November 28, 2010, 12:01:47 PM »
Yes, he did go to Berklee after all. Probably took piano classes, music theory, eurhythmics , sightsinging, etc. And don't forget Portnoy was a producer. Arrangements might be very different now. Remember how MP always imagined and compared sections in DT's music to those of other bands? Like the Meshuggah section in TDoE and plenty of others? I imagine the new DT will sound like the lovechild of JP's and Rudess's solo albums.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #548 on: November 28, 2010, 01:32:12 PM »
Absolutely. Both are recognisably - unmistakeably - Dream Theaterry, but you can hear the shift of balance.

'Course, both musicians will also have preconceptions as to what is "Dream Theater music" and what is "solo album" music. They'll approach the two things differently to an extent, and I imagine they'll probably try their hardest to cram in some of the MP heaviness - as, listening to their albums, JR's stuff tends to be more technical and synthetic and JP's seems to be more melodic, and don't flirt with the heavy metal quite as much as DT does, although JP in particular is definitely crawling with the metal influences - but it'll be Dream Theater music as shot through a JR and JP lens. Which will be somewhat different to DT music with the MP filter on - and as chief arranger and producer, much of MP's studio role seems to be as a filter.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #549 on: November 28, 2010, 01:42:14 PM »
Yes, he did go to Berklee after all. Probably took piano classes, music theory, eurhythmics , sightsinging, etc.
Sweet dreams are made of this; who am I to disagree?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 01:58:00 PM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline robwebster

« Reply #550 on: November 28, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
TRAVEL THE WOOOOORLD AND THE SEVEN SEAS
EVERYBODY'S LOOKING FOR SOMETHING

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #551 on: November 28, 2010, 02:44:04 PM »
Dammit, I knew someone would do that! But seriously, it is a whole course sequence at music schools.

Also, our best view into each bandmembers' role is in the ToT writing sessions video.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 02:51:44 PM by ddtonfire »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #552 on: November 28, 2010, 02:45:50 PM »
I am not sure if this has been brought up before, but Marco, I'm almost 100% sure auditioned.

He is currently on tour with some other people. The tour schedule says for the week of the auditions Marco will not be performing at those shows
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #553 on: November 28, 2010, 02:52:40 PM »
Charlie Z was online about an hour ago on facebook, I was going to message him but I had to leave the room. >:(

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #554 on: November 28, 2010, 03:23:57 PM »
Charlie Z was online about an hour ago on facebook, I was going to message him but I had to leave the room. >:(
Damn tacos.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #555 on: November 28, 2010, 03:42:13 PM »
Damn McGriddles.

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #556 on: November 29, 2010, 11:03:19 AM »
From the Blabbermouth comments section at this location...

Yeah I know... not a reliable source (at all). The only thing I find interesting is the corroboration on AP audition, and Derek Roddy, which seems feasible at first glance anyways:

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=149975&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+blabbermouth+(Blabbermouth.net's+Daily+Headlines)

"here's the 7 who auditioned in alphabetical order: virgil donati, thomas lang, mike mangini, marco minnemann, aquiles priester, derek roddy, peter wildoer. portnoy's not staying in a7x they are auditioning his replacement now.

roadrunner was just sold to warner bros. -- dt only owes roadrunner one more product. dt filmed all the auditions for a dvd product. wouldn't it be super for dt to deliver up one dvd to roadrunner -- take portnoy back and then do what they want with their next album that will benefit from all this free press??? that's a lot of negotiating power in the sale of a record label for an act like dt that is pretty much the biggest thing roadrunner has (sure there's nickleback). dt said that they auditioned, they never said they hired one of the guys. ax7 is on the road till next week. look for no news until after 12/8. portnoy is on his way back to dt"

Offline robwebster

« Reply #557 on: November 29, 2010, 11:06:47 AM »
Looks like bollocks, to me. The rumoured complete list is feasable, but when does anyone ever try and write an unfeasable rumour?

Think they owe RoadRunner another full length album, anyway. Chaos in Motion didn't count to the total, I don't believe, or else the three album deal would already have been fulfilled, so I very much doubt the audition videos will. Nor do I believe that they can wrestle the label into releasing the audition videos against their will. Nor that there is any motivation to escape their label whatsoever.

Load of crap.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #558 on: November 29, 2010, 11:18:52 AM »
Hmm Derek Roddy does seem feasible:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Roddy

and a video:

He is very precise. Hmm. I wonder if they chose him for the auditions because they still want a huge metal influence in the band. If he was really chosen, that is.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #559 on: November 29, 2010, 11:40:59 AM »
Hmm Derek Roddy does seem feasible:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Roddy

and a video:

He is very precise. Hmm. I wonder if they chose him for the auditions because they still want a huge metal influence in the band. If he was really chosen, that is.

Roddy is great, but he is not the guy for DT. He helped pioneer insanely fast blast beat tempos with Nile and Hate Eternal, and I don't see him leaving the death metal genre.