23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058832 times)

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #490 on: November 27, 2010, 02:25:05 AM »
So somebody in that thread from Virgil Donati's board claims that DT has chosen Aquiles Priester, formerly of Angra.  Don't know if there's any truth to it, but it's an interesting name I haven't heard brought up here yet.  I looked him up on youtube and this is the first thing I watched.  Pretty impressive I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ATHpb1f_g

Here are the posts from Virgil's forum, made by a guy named Miltos:

Do you want a hint?
The ex-drummer of Angra (i don't remember his name at the moment) is taking the position. That's my info.

I don't like him to be honest!

(Another member clarifies that he is referring to Aquiles Priester.)

Yep, that's the name.
Hey Frank, you know i have my inside sources.
We'll see.

What i've heard is : they chose THIS GUY, who is really mediocre and surely can't fit in the shoes of DT, so that Mike can return easily in a couple of years. We'll be here!

(Posts 66 and 69 here: https://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=7247&page=5&pp=15)

I dunno how much I believe the guy, but based on that video alone he seems like a good choice.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline roccer

« Reply #491 on: November 27, 2010, 02:35:23 AM »
So somebody in that thread from Virgil Donati's board claims that DT has chosen Aquiles Priester, formerly of Angra.  Don't know if there's any truth to it, but it's an interesting name I haven't heard brought up here yet.  I looked him up on youtube and this is the first thing I watched.  Pretty impressive I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ATHpb1f_g

Here are the posts from Virgil's forum, made by a guy named Miltos:

Do you want a hint?
The ex-drummer of Angra (i don't remember his name at the moment) is taking the position. That's my info.

I don't like him to be honest!

(Another member clarifies that he is referring to Aquiles Priester.)

Yep, that's the name.
Hey Frank, you know i have my inside sources.
We'll see.

What i've heard is : they chose THIS GUY, who is really mediocre and surely can't fit in the shoes of DT, so that Mike can return easily in a couple of years. We'll be here!

(Posts 66 and 69 here: https://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=7247&page=5&pp=15)

I dunno how much I believe the guy, but based on that video alone he seems like a good choice.

This last argument by miltos is ridiculous. They purposedly chose someone not good enough? I think that may make the whole source unreliable.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: November 27, 2010, 02:37:25 AM »
Yeah, it does seem a bit off. And to be honest, watching and listening to some more of his videos, he doesn't really seem like an appropriate choice for Dream Theater. That first one that russellmania posted was good but the rest of them sound like generic power metal drumming-wise.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: November 27, 2010, 02:39:33 AM »
Yeah, it does seem a bit off. And to be honest, watching and listening to some more of his videos, he doesn't really seem like an appropriate choice for Dream Theater. That first one that russellmania posted was good but the rest of them sound like generic power metal drumming-wise.

Seems bizarre to me as well. I think he'd be a good fit, though. Remember, the important thing is that he's able to play good with the band.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #494 on: November 27, 2010, 02:41:27 AM »
He had a nice kit, but he seemed devoid of any charisma and had no flair whatsoever.  He could probably play with the band, but he would be an emotionless robot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: November 27, 2010, 02:45:11 AM »
He had a nice kit, but he seemed devoid of any charisma and had no flair whatsoever.  He could probably play with the band, but he would be an emotionless robot.

I don't think they're gonna be able to get both Mike's skill AND charisma.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #496 on: November 27, 2010, 02:49:45 AM »
He checks all the boxes that DT need. But... really? If this is true, I am dissapointed, as I was hoping for a drummer who could bring a fresh sound and creativity to the band. Aquilles' drumming, to me, sounds like it could be replaced with drum kit from hell. Someone like minnemann or Virgil could have brought at least some finesse and charisma to the band. Aquilles is a good fit for the band though.
edit: also his native language is Portuguese I believe. Language barriers ftw
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:02:41 AM by atmyne »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #497 on: November 27, 2010, 03:06:51 AM »

I don't think they're gonna be able to get both Mike's skill AND charisma.
Most of the other candidates people have mentioned have had chops and charisma.  This is the first one I've seen who looked like a Terminator.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #498 on: November 27, 2010, 03:07:08 AM »
Not too fond of Aquiles Priester, to be honest. His playing is good, but it doesn't really grab me, unlike Minnemann's or Lang's.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #499 on: November 27, 2010, 03:44:03 AM »
both PW and AP seem to be excellent Metal drummers, but is that really what we want from a DT drummer? there seemed little variety in the AP videos and just judging PW by the CJS album he seems very same=y and it's all a bit frantic.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #500 on: November 27, 2010, 04:00:51 AM »
both PW and AP seem to be excellent Metal drummers, but is that really what we want from a DT drummer? there seemed little variety in the AP videos and just judging PW by the CJS album he seems very same=y and it's all a bit frantic.

That's basically the way I think about PW. He's a great drummer, no question, but there's very little variety in his playing; somehow I get the feeling that his major focus lies on his double-bass playing.

MP's drumming has almost always been about variety (although that element has been receding over the past few years imo), and I think that DT's new drummer should also rely on bringing an interesting groove to the music and not as much on wild, fast, but monotonous playing.

Looking at Marco Minnemann's samples video (and several videos of him playing in a band setting), I think he would be a great choice in that department. That guy definitely knows how to lay a solid groove as a foundation, and that's why I'd be very glad if he became DT's new drummer. Same with Mike Mangini. Thomas Lang plays differently, but he also relies very heavily on the groove and not the frantic playing that can be found so often in nowadays' metal music.

In conclusion, the choice is, of course, up to DT and DT only, but imo, choosing a drummer like PW would be likely to have the consequence of the drumming in DT becoming less interesting and not more.

Mentlegen.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #501 on: November 27, 2010, 04:09:15 AM »
He checks all the boxes that DT need. But... really? If this is true, I am dissapointed, as I was hoping for a drummer who could bring a fresh sound and creativity to the band.

Same here. I think that picking him would lose DT a lot of the good will from the fans who embraced the lineup change because it was a chance to bring something fresh to the band.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: November 27, 2010, 04:46:19 AM »
LOL. Guys, let's at least wait and see 1.) who the new guy is and 2.) how the new guy meshes with the band before we start prophesying it's the end of the world and stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #503 on: November 27, 2010, 05:04:09 AM »
He checks all the boxes that DT need. But... really? If this is true, I am dissapointed, as I was hoping for a drummer who could bring a fresh sound and creativity to the band.

Same here. I think that picking him would lose DT a lot of the good will from the fans who embraced the lineup change because it was a chance to bring something fresh to the band.
That will happen with some fans no matter who gets chosen.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #504 on: November 27, 2010, 05:11:00 AM »
Yeah it should be pointed out that ALL information ascertained about drummers, auditions, who's in/out is word of mouth, with the exception of the odd drummer saying they are flattered yadayada however they did not get the position (and in some of these circumstances there is ambiguity). I also think that, myself included, we are getting carried away hoping that our ideal dream drummer for dream theater will eventuate.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: November 27, 2010, 06:48:42 AM »
Also, I'm getting kinda weary of reading all the posts saying DT's new drummer is going to lead them to a new renaissance or something. Drummers just don't have that much of an effect on the music. The majority of the music is written by Petrucci and Rudess. Mike was deeply involved too, but not in terms of writing. Mike was more like a producer, giving ideas about how songs should be arranged.

You guys are gonna be really disappointed when the new album comes out, because it's going to share plenty of characteristics with the last couple.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #506 on: November 27, 2010, 06:53:35 AM »
That will happen with some fans no matter who gets chosen.

Of course. When an important band member gets replaced, the initial reaction is bound to be negative. The question is, what does the new guy offer to avert at least some of that? How can the band get the fans excited about the new guy?

Here's what Jordan said (from the Prog article) about getting a substitute for a year or so who could play on the album and the tour:
"That was something that I thought of myself that maybe might work. But after I'd thought about it, it didn't fly very far before we thought that it wasn't cool. We would have a half-assed Dream Theater that is going to go out and nobody is going to take seriously because it's like some temporary thing with everybody waiting for Mike to come back into his role."

If they pick someone who can play Mike's stuff but doesn't seem particularly exciting otherwise, that'll seem like they're trying to make it easy for Mike to return in the foreseeable future and the result will be the same as what Jordan feared.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #507 on: November 27, 2010, 07:54:14 AM »
I agree with you, Kyo.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #508 on: November 27, 2010, 07:58:45 AM »
It is a no win situation really so all they can do is choose a monster drummer with a legendary reputation and take it from there. If it all goes wrong its either the new drummer's fault or MP's  ;D!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: November 27, 2010, 08:01:41 AM »
The thing is, guys, it's the chemistry with the band that matters most.  What if DT did audition with a Mangini or Minneman, and the audition just wasn't very fun? What if DT audition with a Aquiles Priester or Peter Wildoer, and it's pure magic? That's what matters in the end. I'm sure DT will chose the guy they mesh with best, not just a good name. If Priester's the guy who they can really gel with, then they're all the better for picking him over another guy.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 08:19:08 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #510 on: November 27, 2010, 08:11:11 AM »
The thing is, guys, it's the chemistry with the band that matters most.  What if DT did audition with a Mangini or Minneman, and the audition just wasn't very fun? What if DT audition with a Aquiles Priester or Peter Wildoer, and it's pure magic? That's what matters in the end. I'm sure DT will chose the guy they mesh with best, not just a good name. If Priester's the guy who they can really gel with, then they're be the better for picking him over another guy.
Well said.

Also, it's hard to judge how well someone would work within DT based on their previous work. Priester is a good example, as obviously Angra have some proggy elements but they have more of a power metal feel as well so that is the style he mostly plays with them, but that doesn't mean he is a power metal drummer and that's that. I'm not going to judge anything until the album is out and we've heard and seen what the new guy contributes, whoever he is.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #511 on: November 27, 2010, 08:32:41 AM »
Also, I'm getting kinda weary of reading all the posts saying DT's new drummer is going to lead them to a new renaissance or something. Drummers just don't have that much of an effect on the music. The majority of the music is written by Petrucci and Rudess. Mike was deeply involved too, but not in terms of writing. Mike was more like a producer, giving ideas about how songs should be arranged.

But in the role of "producer", MP appeared to have a lot of influence.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: November 27, 2010, 08:44:45 AM »
IMO, If this Aquiles Priester is a chosen one, there will not be any great live performer in DT anymore, MP did this well but AP looks like very silent and deadpan person
(I don't say that JP or JR isn't great in live but they don't have much motion in stage)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: November 27, 2010, 08:47:26 AM »

But in the role of "producer", MP appeared to have a lot of influence.

Eh. At the end of the day, he wasn't the one coming up with the riffs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #514 on: November 27, 2010, 09:36:37 AM »
No, techinacally not. But there'll be a very different dynamic this time around. I'm not saying good or bad, but different.

I hear you though, Perp. Those that are expecting something dramatically stylistically different may be setting themselves up for some dissappointment. But it's exciting because with MP gone, there's an expectation, true or false, that JLB and JM may be more involved, and that can never be a bad thing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #515 on: November 27, 2010, 10:00:15 AM »
I know it 's driving you mad to find out who the drummer is. We will let you know when the time is right. Hold tight... Cheers, James.
its driving me mad!

I realized that there is no mention of Tony Royster Jr. Sure his connections with Jay-Z may be a little off putting, and probably too gospel for prog/metal,  but he is one of the best drummers I've ever seen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6eXDi1LyPM&feature=channel
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 10:07:13 AM by atmyne »

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #516 on: November 27, 2010, 12:52:33 PM »
No, techinacally not. But there'll be a very different dynamic this time around. I'm not saying good or bad, but different.

I hear you though, Perp. Those that are expecting something dramatically stylistically different may be setting themselves up for some dissappointment. But it's exciting because with MP gone, there's an expectation, true or false, that JLB and JM may be more involved, and that can never be a bad thing.

Well said. And this exactly what I'm hoping for - more involvement from JLB and JM. That doesn't mean that JP and JR shouldn't be the creative driving forces anymore, it's just that there's a bigger chance of DT's music being a more collaborative effort in the future. It hasn't to be a 100% secure thing, but the perspective is certainly there.

Mentlegen.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #517 on: November 27, 2010, 01:12:26 PM »
I know it 's driving you mad to find out who the drummer is. We will let you know when the time is right. Hold tight... Cheers, James.
its driving me mad!

I realized that there is no mention of Tony Royster Jr. Sure his connections with Jay-Z may be a little off putting, and probably too gospel for prog/metal,  but he is one of the best drummers I've ever seen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6eXDi1LyPM&feature=channel
Yeah, Royster is fantastic.  He's definitely got the chops for DT, but I would be surprised if he were interested in the gig.

Offline Unimatrix

• The lurking clown
  • They float...
« Reply #518 on: November 27, 2010, 02:12:07 PM »
IMO, If this Aquiles Priester is a chosen one, there will not be any great live performer in DT anymore, MP did this well but AP looks like very silent and deadpan person
(I don't say that JP or JR isn't great in live but they don't have much motion in stage)

JM and JP could surely improve their entertainment factor, but I don't think that there's anything more a keyboardist could (or should) do than what JR does. He's expressive, constantly tries out new gadgets and he even found a way to move around on stage. If you can show me someone who manages to be more entertaining to watch on keys, please do it.

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #519 on: November 27, 2010, 03:54:36 PM »
I don't think JMX improving his entertainment factor is really in the cards.

Offline pinchylarue

« Reply #520 on: November 27, 2010, 05:49:52 PM »
I don't want to step on anyones toes here, but is it just me or is marco minnemanns drumming highly overrated? Like the guy used his symbols like 65-70% of the time. I don't know but to me AP seems to compliment the overall band more. I think macro's style is good for like a G3 type virtuoso thing.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #521 on: November 27, 2010, 10:08:29 PM »
I don't want to step on anyones toes here, but is it just me or is marco minnemanns drumming highly overrated? Like the guy used his symbols like 65-70% of the time. I don't know but to me AP seems to compliment the overall band more. I think macro's style is good for like a G3 type virtuoso thing.
No, it is not overrated :)
AP would probably do a better job at being a surrogate MP, but Minnemanns style is way more diverse and tasteful. lol we haven't heard anything about Minnemann and DT yet. He probably didn't even audition :S

Offline LTE777

« Reply #522 on: November 28, 2010, 12:39:42 AM »

Aquiles Preister....There are a number of reasons I dont think he was chosen or even auditioned....

a) This guy doesnt speak english very well and I think lives in South America and im sure the DT guys, as open as they are, would like to replace MP with someone who not only lives in the US but is American.
b) He is formerly of Angra, but left to focus on Hangar which I presume he is still touring with.
c) He uses his kick pedals WAY too much for DT. He doesnt know when not to play notes to serve a song although he is a great drummer. Not a lot of variety in his sound.
d) I dont see the link as to how DT would have known him to invite him to audition, especially over Terry Bozzio or Rod Morgenstein (Or Donati if he didnt make the cut).
e) He uses the most corniest and stupid masks on the front of his kit (and wears them) I have ever seen.  This guy should probably be in Lordi or Gwar. Def not DT.

What do you think? These are just my opinions and I'd be happy to hear what the forums thinks too.  Im a bit over people saying 'a friend told me, a source told me, Im in the industry etc etc', just to make themselves popular. I'd say 99% of inSider knowledge that I have found people present is usually WRONG!

Cheers all!!!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #523 on: November 28, 2010, 12:44:20 AM »
we haven't heard anything about Minnemann and DT yet. He probably didn't even audition :S

The fact that everyone is laying low about the auditions would probably give more weight to Minnemann being a possibility as one of the seven.

b) He is formerly of Angra, but left to focus on Hangar which I presume he is still touring with.
c) He uses his kick pedals WAY too much for DT. He doesnt know when not to play notes to serve a song although he is a great drummer. Not a lot of variety in his sound.
d) I dont see the link as to how DT would have known him to invite him to audition, especially over Terry Bozzio or Rod Morgenstein (Or Donati if he didnt make the cut).
e) He uses the most corniest and stupid masks on the front of his kit (and wears them) I have ever seen.  This guy should probably be in Lordi or Gwar. Def not DT.

Point b would be valid, but the rest is too speculative or opinionated to think he didn't audition. You are very biased.

Offline dvargas

« Reply #524 on: November 28, 2010, 01:24:07 AM »
I agree with LTE777.

I am originally from south America and I would be very, very surprised if they chose AP.  The language barrier would be a significant negative factor and I just don't think they would do it.  Plus the guy looks like he wouldn't communicate much. 

I'm pretty sure they will choose somebody with English as their native tongue.  BJ seems a more appropriate choice.  That and I seriously doubt they would try to deal with work visas. I don't even think they could actually have one issued for him.