23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1059249 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #420 on: November 25, 2010, 02:36:12 AM »
Voted Lang for no good reason.

It seems it's either going to be Thomas Lang, Macaluso with a bigger drum kit, or something we're not really expecting at all.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #421 on: November 25, 2010, 05:12:37 AM »
Voted Lang for no good reason.

It seems it's either going to be Thomas Lang, Macaluso with a bigger drum kit, or something we're not really expecting at all.

My choices too. I would really love to have JM and his fantastic groovy parts.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #422 on: November 25, 2010, 07:07:11 AM »
I don't know why, I keep thinking it's going to be Minneman.

Offline Pierced Brosnan

« Reply #423 on: November 25, 2010, 07:22:54 AM »
I'd be happy with Minneman too, his stuff is really impressive and fresh, he could bring a cool dynamic. I don't think he'll be chosen. If we are to believe the other mentioned guys are 'eliminated', then I think it'll probably be Lang as I already mentioned, or possibly Mangini. All three are awesome drummers though ;D
The band describing John Myung:
JLB: "He's deep. He's deep in thought"
JP: "We have a deep understanding musically"
JR: "John Myung is a very deep kind of person"
MP: "John Myung is an enigma... N he's deep as fuck yo'"

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #424 on: November 25, 2010, 07:55:56 AM »

The only thing I don't agree with you on is the electronic kit. One thing I would really like to hear DT experiment with is electronic drums and drum triggered samples (in addition to JR's). I always thought MP simply wasn't as technical or savvy enough to use (additional) electronic drums as someone like say Neil Peart. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying go all electronic, but I think a mix is pretty cool.

On second thought, a mix could be quite cool, I love Neil Peart's use of electric drums.  :tup

Awesome!  :tup

BTW: Hilarious screen name!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #425 on: November 25, 2010, 07:57:23 AM »
I'd be happy with Minneman too, his stuff is really impressive and fresh, he could bring a cool dynamic. I don't think he'll be chosen. If we are to believe the other mentioned guys are 'eliminated', then I think it'll probably be Lang as I already mentioned, or possibly Mangini. All three are awesome drummers though ;D

Why only these three drummers? From what I remember, Stevetheater only mentioned 5 drummers. We don't know who the other two are. I still vote for John Macaluso. :metal

B.Lee

EDIT : according to a forumer on Yourmajesty.net who talked with him after one of his clinics in Geneva about a month ago, John Macaluso would be on the list. If that's true, I want him as DT's new drummer. Please!!!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:00:29 AM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #426 on: November 25, 2010, 01:12:49 PM »
So,from the information that we have now (reliable or unreliable) we have:
Peter Wildoer out,
Mark Zonder out,
Charlie Zeleny out,
Virgil Donati out.

So the list gets shorter by the day..

Where was it confirmed that Peter was out?

Yeah, I don't remember hearing that either...

I saw someone post a snippet from an interview with Peter and he said he would love to audition if they had asked him.
That interview was almost certainly conducted before the auditions though, so doesn't really mean anything at all.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: November 25, 2010, 01:39:26 PM »
And actually, I'm pretty sure Peter Wildoer was on SteveTheater's list.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #428 on: November 25, 2010, 01:50:45 PM »

Yes, he was. I somehow have the feeling that DT will choose him as the new drummer. Still kind of hoping for Mangini, Lang or Minnemann, though.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #429 on: November 25, 2010, 01:52:54 PM »

SteveTheater's List???

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: November 25, 2010, 02:43:34 PM »
Read the thread.

Offline Pierced Brosnan

« Reply #431 on: November 25, 2010, 05:28:16 PM »

Why only these three drummers? From what I remember, Stevetheater only mentioned 5 drummers. We don't know who the other two are. I still vote for John Macaluso. :metal

B.Lee

EDIT : according to a forumer on Yourmajesty.net who talked with him after one of his clinics in Geneva about a month ago, John Macaluso would be on the list. If that's true, I want him as DT's new drummer. Please!!!

I don't think they're the only possibilities, just who I think they're most likely to pick. I haven't seen enough of Macaluso, to youtube I go!
The band describing John Myung:
JLB: "He's deep. He's deep in thought"
JP: "We have a deep understanding musically"
JR: "John Myung is a very deep kind of person"
MP: "John Myung is an enigma... N he's deep as fuck yo'"

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space

Offline xeper

« Reply #433 on: November 25, 2010, 09:40:33 PM »
John Macaluso might not be a candidate, he just posted this on his Facebook:

"Great News! I am moving to Europe to rock. I will be moving to Sweden in January. ARK is back working on the new album. I will also be available for gigs of all sorts, clinics, sessions, lessons and more. I will be traveling to all cities and countries in Europe to work. Please contact me if interested in working with me at johnnymacdrums@gmail.com or just send me a message on my facebook. youtube.com John Macaluso"

Kinda doubt DT's new drummer would move to Sweden...

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #434 on: November 25, 2010, 10:28:15 PM »
That would definitely imply it's not him.

The timing implies he did try out and recently got word it wasn't him.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #435 on: November 25, 2010, 11:46:16 PM »
Yeah, I think JMa can be ruled out.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #436 on: November 26, 2010, 12:05:27 AM »
It'd be funny if no one who auditioned was famous at all, just random unknowns and none of the people we're mentioning even auditioning.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: November 26, 2010, 12:19:30 AM »
So our drummer list currently looks like this:

Thomas Lang
Marco Minnemann
Mike Mangini
Bobby Jarzombek

-----

Virgil Donati - Auditioned and was cut
John Macaluso - Likely auditioned and was cut
Peter Wildoer - Likely did not audition
Charlie Zeleny - Did not audition
Mark Zonder - Did not audition

Obviously I'm not saying this is 100% fact, this is just what it looks like right now.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline metalpete

« Reply #438 on: November 26, 2010, 12:39:47 AM »

"Great News! I am moving to Europe to rock. I will be moving to Sweden in January. ARK is back working on the new album. I will also be available for gigs of all sorts, clinics, sessions, lessons and more. I will be traveling to all cities and countries in Europe to work. Please contact me if interested in working with me at johnnymacdrums@gmail.com or just send me a message on my facebook. youtube.com John Macaluso"

Darkane needs a new drummer ;)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #439 on: November 26, 2010, 01:03:25 AM »
So our drummer list currently looks like this:

Thomas Lang
Marco Minnemann
Mike Mangini
Bobby Jarzombek

-----

Virgil Donati - Auditioned and was cut
John Macaluso - Likely auditioned and was cut
Charlie Zeleny - Did not audition
Mark Zonder - Did not audition

Obviously I'm not saying this is 100% fact, this is just what it looks like right now.
Interesting! :tup

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #440 on: November 26, 2010, 01:04:32 AM »
Also, just curious.

Do we have any kind of...hints....that Lang, Minnemann, Mangini or Jarzombek auditioned? Or are we just guessing?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: November 26, 2010, 01:18:18 AM »

Offline LTE777

« Reply #442 on: November 26, 2010, 01:21:18 AM »

Holy crap...I no longer care about the new DT drummer anymore..ARK are working on a new album!!!! HELL YEAH! Burn the sun is one of the most underrated prog metal albums out there.

On second thought, i wish they would hurry up an announce the new drummer, I was expecting the annoucement late Oct!!!

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: November 26, 2010, 01:37:49 AM »
Also, just curious.

Do we have any kind of...hints....that Lang, Minnemann, Mangini or Jarzombek auditioned? Or are we just guessing?

Just guessing, really, although SteveTheater did say that Lang, Minnemann, and Mangini auditioned. Mind you, he also said Peter Wildoer auditioned.

How did we establish this again?

In this interview (second-last paragraph), which was released well after auditions were held, Wildoer seems to suggest that he did not audition in stating that, were he asked, he would consider it. The exact timing of the interview is the obvious x-factor, though.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: November 26, 2010, 01:42:12 AM »
“There are a lot of people mailing me and contacting me through Facebook who want me to audition for Dream Theater, and I can totally see them thinking that since I’m on James’ new CD. That’s not my decision to make. I’m also extremely flattered they think I could pull it off. I would of course consider it if I was asked – it’s the hottest drum stool in the metal business – but it’s not an easy position to fill. I personally think it would be impossible to replace Portnoy. He’s a founding member, great drummer, huge personality, and loved by the Dream Theater fans. Whoever gets the Dream Theater gig will have to bring his own style and personality to the band, cross his fingers and hope that he will be accepted by the fans… most likely after quite some time.”

“I’ve read some comments where people are saying that they don’t want me as the new drummer because I would bring more screaming vocals to Dream Theater. That wouldn’t be my decision. James is the vocalist of that band and I personally think they sound the best when it’s just his clear voice singing their songs.”

You mean this?

Honestly, I don't see how there's anything suggestive about this. I'd say, going by this, it's highly possible that he DID audition, as he's skirting around the question and being very careful about his answers and so on. If he didn't, he would have just come out and said that instead of making odd statements like "[sic] It wouldn't be my decision to scream or not. If I were the drummer. And I'm not gonna say if I auditioned or not."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #445 on: November 26, 2010, 02:04:45 AM »
I'm not too keen on PW's statement that he's flattered that people think he could pull it off. Sounds like he's not sure if he could...

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #446 on: November 26, 2010, 02:36:20 AM »
I'm not too keen on PW's statement that he's flattered that people think he could pull it off. Sounds like he's not sure if he could...

I think he's just being humble. I'm pretty sure he can pull it off.

B.Lee

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #447 on: November 26, 2010, 03:05:52 AM »
Also, just curious.

I have it on good authority that Lang auditioned.  I also know that Jarzombek didn't, at least not at the same time that the others did, because he was on tour in Europe with Halford during that time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #448 on: November 26, 2010, 03:28:30 AM »
Also, just curious.

I have it on good authority that Lang auditioned.  I also know that Jarzombek didn't, at least not at the same time that the others did, because he was on tour in Europe with Halford during that time.

Could it be thet the last 2 that were not mentioned did audition at a different time because of different occupations?

B.Lee

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: November 26, 2010, 03:58:09 AM »

Holy crap...I no longer care about the new DT drummer anymore..ARK are working on a new album!!!! HELL YEAH! Burn the sun is one of the most underrated prog metal albums out there.

On second thought, i wish they would hurry up an announce the new drummer, I was expecting the annoucement late Oct!!!

I don't think Jorn is returning though.  Yes, Burn the Sun is by far one of the best prog albums of all time.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #450 on: November 26, 2010, 04:17:47 AM »
Also, just curious.

Could it be thet the last 2 that were not mentioned did audition at a different time because of different occupations?

B.Lee
Anything is possible.  However, the band made a big deal out of telling us about the auditions and when they would be, and haven't mentioned any other auditions.  So I tend to think it will be someone that was there during that week, which would leave out Jarzombek.  I don't know about any others who may or may not have been there at that time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline metalpete

« Reply #451 on: November 26, 2010, 06:37:23 AM »
If you read a little on Wildoers facebook page I think it's likely he auditioned. But I'm not shure.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #452 on: November 26, 2010, 09:41:30 AM »
Hope it's not Lang. His left hand bothers me. ::)

Offline FsF

« Reply #453 on: November 26, 2010, 10:08:20 AM »

That's probably something you should be reporting to the police, to be honest...Or at least Thomas' wife.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #454 on: November 26, 2010, 10:11:06 AM »

That's probably something you should be reporting to the police, to be honest...Or at least Thomas' wife.

Nah, she's okay with that.