23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058791 times)

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #350 on: November 22, 2010, 12:00:13 AM »
I am Dream Theaters new drummer.

I am also Batman, and Spartacus.

EVERYTHING MAKES SO MUCH SENSE NOW.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #351 on: November 22, 2010, 12:05:33 AM »
I am Dream Theaters new drummer.

I am also Batman, and Spartacus.

But who is the real Slim Shady? And then who was phone?

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: November 22, 2010, 12:08:34 AM »

Duh.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #353 on: November 22, 2010, 12:10:53 AM »
 :lol
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #354 on: November 22, 2010, 12:47:54 AM »
I am Mike Portnoy.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #355 on: November 22, 2010, 01:19:45 AM »
so its official: CZ is the biggest cock teasing opportunist ever. He's done well; a lot more people are aware of him and his works because of it. While I feel he would have been competent to step up as the drummer, I also feel relieved knowing that minnemann may still be the one :D

Offline Ħ

« Reply #356 on: November 22, 2010, 03:07:09 AM »
From Charlie Z's Facebook:

"Wow, I really appreciate all the love with the comments on the Dream Theater videos but everyone seems to be misinterpreting what I've been saying. I just got wind of the audition tunes and put them up myself on my YouTube for everyone to see. DT saw them but I was not asked down to audition live. I wish whoever gets the drum chair in DT the best of luck and have a good idea of who it is. I personally don't think I am a drummer who is big enough or popular enough to fill the shoes of a drumming legend like Mike Portnoy. But I really appreciate all the support and love everyone has been giving me. I definitely have a busy New Year to try to keep anyone who has checked me out on the Dream Theater scene into things I do and hope to continue to make music and videos people like. Thanks everyone!"

THANK GOD
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #357 on: November 22, 2010, 03:16:19 AM »
It seems that at first we will know who didn't audition. It's like a game..
Mark Zonder out, Charlie Zeleny out.. Who's the next to post that he isn't a candidate?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: November 22, 2010, 03:46:05 AM »
It seems that at first we will know who didn't audition. It's like a game..
Mark Zonder out, Charlie Zeleny out.. Who's the next to post that he isn't a candidate?

MP :biggrin:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #359 on: November 22, 2010, 04:40:14 AM »
In a shocking development, I must hereby admit that I was not a candidate.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #360 on: November 22, 2010, 07:20:37 AM »
Didnt Peter Wildoer pretty much say he didnt audition too?

Can the poll be updated with the remaining proposed candidates?

That Kevin Moore guy might still have a shot!

So we got Minneman, Donati, Lang, and Mangini as the final 4?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: November 22, 2010, 07:23:46 AM »
Guys, I heard from a source VERY close to the band that Mike told them he wanted back in, and the guys said OK, but after reading comments on the websites they're not sure how to drop the news on the fans. None of them really want to right now, so they've agreed to go onto hiatus while they think up the perfect PR statement to explain everything with.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #362 on: November 22, 2010, 07:26:32 AM »
Guys, I heard from a source VERY close to the band that Mike told them he wanted back in, and the guys said OK, but after reading comments on the websites they're not sure how to drop the news on the fans. None of them really want to right now, so they've agreed to go onto hiatus while they think up the perfect PR statement to explain everything with.
Fool me once, strike one.  Fool me twice, strike...three. :neverusethis:
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #363 on: November 22, 2010, 07:27:28 AM »

Are you serious Clark?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #364 on: November 22, 2010, 07:34:24 AM »

Why rule out John  Macaluso? As far as I can remember, Steve Theater gave only 5 names out of 7 : who are the other 2? I had the feeling that Johnny Mac could be part of the 7 given JLB's opinion of him in one of the interviews he gave.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #365 on: November 22, 2010, 07:57:16 AM »

Why rule out John  Macaluso? As far as I can remember, Steve Theater gave only 5 names out of 7 : who are the other 2? I had the feeling that Johnny Mac could be part of the 7 given JLB's opinion of him in one of the interviews he gave.

B.Lee

Sorry, forgot about Mac.  Make that final 5.  I would be stoked about ANY of these guys.

New poll needed.

Good times!

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: November 22, 2010, 08:56:09 AM »
Nope.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #367 on: November 22, 2010, 09:13:08 AM »
I'm now authorized to say that I am not new drummer for DT.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #368 on: November 22, 2010, 09:19:05 AM »
I'm now authorized to say that I am not new drummer for DT.
Thanks, that narrows it down and clears a few things up! ;)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #369 on: November 22, 2010, 09:44:58 AM »
Just so everyone knows, Mute Stupid of KrotchRaut did not audition.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: November 22, 2010, 09:48:22 AM »
I made a topic about the new drummer a couple days ago. Too bad no-one believed me and it was locked.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #371 on: November 22, 2010, 09:57:58 AM »
bosk1 made a post a while back about it being entirely possible that MP could leave Dream Theater. Too bad no-one believed him.

FTFY
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #372 on: November 22, 2010, 10:00:51 AM »
I can at least confirm to everyone it isn't Scott Rockenfield of Tateryche...err, I suppose it is "Queensryche."
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline John94

« Reply #373 on: November 22, 2010, 10:29:30 AM »
I hope Lars Ulrich didn't audition. It would be like "f*ck,F*ck,F***CK! Plus the double bass in ANTR sounds very stock...

Back on "topic" part of me believes, Perpetual Change. Most of me doesn't.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #374 on: November 22, 2010, 10:37:21 AM »
I was actually considering auditioning, myself.  I'm good friends with all of them.  Unfortunately, I decided against it because 1) MP is a great friend of mine and 2) being the leader and lead singer of a four-man band, I couldn't just leave them, ya know?  Especially since they've already had a frontman that walked out on them when things were good.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #375 on: November 22, 2010, 11:20:54 AM »
I am glad to say that I have no idea who is the drummer and will will be the 2546 person to find out.  I have forseen it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #376 on: November 22, 2010, 12:20:52 PM »

LOL...definitely not
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 12:54:52 PM by TheKillingHand »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #377 on: November 22, 2010, 12:37:53 PM »
From Charlie Z's Facebook:

"Wow, I really appreciate all the love with the comments on the Dream Theater videos but everyone seems to be misinterpreting what I've been saying. I just got wind of the audition tunes and put them up myself on my YouTube for everyone to see. DT saw them but I was not asked down to audition live. I wish whoever gets the drum chair in DT the best of luck and have a good idea of who it is. I personally don't think I am a drummer who is big enough or popular enough to fill the shoes of a drumming legend like Mike Portnoy. But I really appreciate all the support and love everyone has been giving me. I definitely have a busy New Year to try to keep anyone who has checked me out on the Dream Theater scene into things I do and hope to continue to make music and videos people like. Thanks everyone!"

If I read that right then, looking at his Youtube channel, the band wanted the drummers to audition on The Dance of Eternity, Metropolis, A Nightmare to Remember, and The Spirit Carries On."

Not buying this.  If it happened, I'd be kinda sad.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline roccer

« Reply #378 on: November 22, 2010, 01:03:24 PM »
I'm now relieved that I know Charlie z can't be the new drummer. Not good enough, as he admits. Whoever the guys choose, I believe will be the right one. Of course, I really want it to be Lang though.  ;D

Online Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #379 on: November 22, 2010, 01:28:21 PM »
If I read that right then, looking at his Youtube channel, the band wanted the drummers to audition on The Dance of Eternity, Metropolis, A Nightmare to Remember, and The Spirit Carries On."

He said three songs. Not Metropolis, that one was a bonus video (not the full track, either).
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #380 on: November 22, 2010, 01:54:56 PM »
Nightmare to Remember, and The Spirit Carries On."

Then why would every DT member say at every public place that they can't reveal the new drummer yet. Yet. As in: they'll reveal the new drummer in a while.

That's what I think.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #381 on: November 22, 2010, 02:24:08 PM »

Then why would every DT member say at every public place that they can't reveal the new drummer yet. Yet. As in: they'll reveal the new drummer in a while.

That's what I think.

I posted about this somewhere else.  MP's departure and the new drummer joining create a large amount of legal and financial issues.  The new drummer might be in a current band he'll have to leave, creating more legal and financial issues.  Also, RR probably wants the announcement of the drummer to be a legitimate media event, which means setting up interviews and photo shoots.
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #382 on: November 22, 2010, 02:41:46 PM »
By the way, I posted my list of things DT should do when figuring out the demo songs:

- Something ridiculously technical, aka TDOE.
 - One of their longer more metal songs to test physical endurance and metal groove
 - One of their proggier songs
 - A song that's easy to just play, but hard to play well.

Considering the demo songs were TDOE (exact call), ANTR (IMO not as demanding as The Glass Prison, but fits the mold, especially with the blast beat part), and TSCO (a proggier song that's easy to just play, but has some sensitivity and dynamics to it), I'd say either DT had the right instincts, or they read my post and decided to follow my advice.
Over and over again

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #383 on: November 22, 2010, 04:22:33 PM »

That's what I think.

I posted about this somewhere else.  MP's departure and the new drummer joining create a large amount of legal and financial issues.  The new drummer might be in a current band he'll have to leave, creating more legal and financial issues.  Also, RR probably wants the announcement of the drummer to be a legitimate media event, which means setting up interviews and photo shoots.

Yeah I understand, but that wouldn't be neccesary if MP would come back, like PC said.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #384 on: November 22, 2010, 04:29:05 PM »
By the way, I posted my list of things DT should do when figuring out the demo songs:

- Something ridiculously technical, aka TDOE.
 - One of their longer more metal songs to test physical endurance and metal groove
 - One of their proggier songs
 - A song that's easy to just play, but hard to play well.

Considering the demo songs were TDOE (exact call), ANTR (IMO not as demanding as The Glass Prison, but fits the mold, especially with the blast beat part), and TSCO (a proggier song that's easy to just play, but has some sensitivity and dynamics to it), I'd say either DT had the right instincts, or they read my post and decided to follow my advice.

I like the easy-to-play, but hard-to-play-well part, interesting.  :tup