23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058899 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #315 on: November 21, 2010, 12:45:59 AM »
Ok just noticed the fuss about Charlies twitter posts. I'm thinking he is most likely the drummer. I can dig it. Although he kind of looks like a younger John Petrucci (6DOIT days), which could get on JPs nerves hehe.

You think Charlie would be a better fit than Lang? I'm not quite sure I understand that logic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #316 on: November 21, 2010, 01:18:44 AM »
Ok just noticed the fuss about Charlies twitter posts. I'm thinking he is most likely the drummer. I can dig it. Although he kind of looks like a younger John Petrucci (6DOIT days), which could get on JPs nerves hehe.

<chin stroke>You think Charlie would be a better fit than Lang? I'm not quite sure I understand that logic </chin stroke>.

I have interpreted Charlies Z's twitter posts as him most likely being the drummer of the band. I would prefer him as a drummer to Lang for different reasons. And although Lang is probably the better drummer in terms of playing, there's no denying Charlie Z would be a great fit, and a formidable drummer to take the spot. I'd be happy with Charlie Z.

Online Adami

« Reply #317 on: November 21, 2010, 01:22:56 AM »

<chin stroke>You think Charlie would be a better fit than Lang? I'm not quite sure I understand that logic </chin stroke>.

I have interpreted Charlies Z's twitter posts as him most likely being the drummer of the band. I would prefer him as a drummer to Lang for different reasons. And although Lang is probably the better drummer in terms of playing, there's no denying Charlie Z would be a great fit, and a formidable drummer to take the spot. I'd be happy with Charlie Z.

I guess if you want someone to play exactly what MP did, and continue to play pretty much what Portnoy would have, then Charlie is your guy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #318 on: November 21, 2010, 01:29:59 AM »
I didn't think of it like that. Although, from what I have seen from him on his youtube channel, he is also familiar with other styles of drumming, such as gospel and jazz/fusion, which maybe he could bring to the songwriting (not exactly musically, but in terms of bringing different rhythmical ideas to the band).

Offline TJPNET

« Reply #319 on: November 21, 2010, 01:35:01 AM »
I guess if you want someone to play exactly what MP did, and continue to play pretty much what Portnoy would have, then Charlie is your guy.

This. Although my opinion is only based upon his YouTube videos, he's talented enough to play DT's catalog, but I'm not entirely convinced he can write up to par with what MP wrote. It's easy to extrapolate from Charlie's postings that he is indeed the new drummer. Makes sense. From NYC. Worked with JR before. But I don't feel like he's going to be raising the bar the way someone like Lang would. If Charlie is who they choose, then I think I would feel that they took a step backwards, whereas I was hoping for a distinct improvement.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #320 on: November 21, 2010, 01:51:14 AM »
Obviously Charlie auditioned.

He could very well be the new drummer.  But, if he was, I am certain he would have been much more cautious about posting anything on facebook, twitter, or youtube.  Like people have said before, merely auditioning for DT is a major step in his career.  Even if he wasn't chosen, I'm sure he would flaunt it.

But the "New Year will be busy" statement is very interesting.

As for him joining, I don't know.  It could be the videos, but it doesn't seem like he has strong dynamic control.

But if he joins, that furthers the possibility that Mike will return.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #321 on: November 21, 2010, 02:00:11 AM »
But if he joins, that furthers the possibility that Mike will return.

That is the vibe I'm getting as well, and honestly I'm not overly fond of that. As several people have stated before, CZ would be more of a hired gun than a permanent replacement imo (contrary to what JP has stated).

As I said before, I'd be very comfortable with Lang, Mangini or Minnemann replacing MP, but DT choosing CZ seems like going the safest way possible - not that it's a bad thing, but there was a real chance of DT shaking things up strongly, and I don't really think that CZ as a drummer could really help with that.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: November 21, 2010, 02:11:44 AM »
but there was a real chance of DT shaking things up strongly, and I don't really think that CZ as a drummer could really help with that.

And I feel like a lot of the people here were counting on a shakeup, myself included. Don't get me wrong, I was a big fan of Black Clouds and I consider it to be either their third or fourth strongest album, but I still feel like the band would really benefit from a big shakeup and Charlie Z may not be the best guy to provide it.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #323 on: November 21, 2010, 02:13:00 AM »
I actually hope DT11 will be the only album with Zeleny, with MP coming back for DT12.  I don't have extraordinary hopes for DT11.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #324 on: November 21, 2010, 02:31:10 AM »
I really hope their new drummer is not CZ. I'm expecting something different from Dream Theater for their next album, and I don't think a MP clone would help in that direction. I'm using the world "clone" because in all his YouTube Dream Theater videos, I'm watching someone who's trying to imitate MP and not some drummer who's trying to put his personal touch into the tracks.

And I agree that the CZ solution seems like a "hired gun". Meaning that after the next album and tour, they're thinking of inviting MP back? Or they've already agreed to do that!

Fingers crossed for the big announcement - whenever that may be...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #325 on: November 21, 2010, 03:31:13 AM »
Charlie seems like a fine choice for me. He looks cool, he plays well, he knows JR for a long time, and there's no doubt he'll get along with the other guys as well. As for his ''lack of originality'' when it comes to songwriting, we won't know that until the new album comes out.

I think they have already chosen him.  :smiley:

Offline Fjubb

« Reply #326 on: November 21, 2010, 04:17:25 AM »
I don't get why so many seems to think Charlie Z was chosen just because of what he wrote on Facebook. Yes, he kind of confirmed he was one of the seven drummers that auditioned, but there is no hint whatsoever at him actually being the one DT picked.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #327 on: November 21, 2010, 04:45:03 AM »
I don't get why so many seems to think Charlie Z was chosen just because of what he wrote on Facebook. Yes, he kind of confirmed he was one of the seven drummers that auditioned, but there is no hint whatsoever at him actually being the one DT picked.
This, actually.  But this is DTF, people read too much into everything.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LTE777

« Reply #328 on: November 21, 2010, 04:47:37 AM »
For everyone's info (and obviously), looks like DT have chosen there new drummer....should be any day now!

https://www.rockaaa.com/news/dream-theater-have-chosen-new-drummer-836

Hope its either Virgil or Mike Mangini, they are the only two drummers that will make it seem like DT never skipped a beat.

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #329 on: November 21, 2010, 04:48:28 AM »
Well,his "busy new year" comment was like "wink wink you know what i mean" to us.
We maybe wrong and read too much in that post but i think that between Mark Zonder's post and Zeleny's,it seems that the announcement will be real soon,any day now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #330 on: November 21, 2010, 04:51:37 AM »
For everyone's info (and obviously), looks like DT have chosen there new drummer....should be any day now!

Who is rockaaa.com, and why would I think that they know that DT have definitely chosen their new drummer?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #331 on: November 21, 2010, 05:02:07 AM »

Who is rockaaa.com, and why would I think that they know that DT have definitely chosen their new drummer?
This exactly. There's nothing in that article that's new, they've just decided randomly that a replacement has been chosen, as far as I can tell.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #332 on: November 21, 2010, 05:54:22 AM »
Besides, i highly doubt that the guy who has been chosen would be careless enough to start spreading the news over the internet BEFORE an official announcement. As stated before, I'm sure the guys have taken enough precautions so that such a thing wouldn't happen.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #333 on: November 21, 2010, 06:07:44 AM »
I actually hope DT11 will be the only album with Zeleny, with MP coming back for DT12.  I don't have extraordinary hopes for DT11.

What'cha gonna do, What'cha gonna do brother when Charlie Z runs wild on you? ;)

Why wouldn't you have high hopes?  Just like in sports, a shake up can be a good thing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #334 on: November 21, 2010, 06:21:54 AM »

Besides, i highly doubt that the guy who has been chosen would be careless enough to start spreading the news over the internet BEFORE an official announcement. As stated before, I'm sure the guys have taken enough precautions so that such a thing wouldn't happen.

B.Lee

I agree Bert, doesn't seem appropriate.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #335 on: November 21, 2010, 07:43:12 AM »
Maybe they agreed that a new drummer should give us a hint, and see if it goes noticed.

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #336 on: November 21, 2010, 08:24:27 AM »
...or they got someone who didn't make it to make it seem as if he did.   :yeahright

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: November 21, 2010, 08:32:46 AM »
I'm not too excited about the possible Charlie Z choice.  Like most of you, I looked him up on Facebook and added him as a friend.  And the first thing I see is a profile photo of him wearing sunglasses on a leather couch like he's some kind of cool dude.  Egh.  Makes him look like a cocky guy who thinks his sh*t don't stink.  Like a rockstar wannabe-type, similar to Sherinian in the mid 1990s.  It's not what Dream Theater needs.  I then checked out his videos, which were good.  But image is just as important as playing.  He doesn't feel like the right choice to me.  Plus, kinda unprofessional to advertise on FB that you auditioned, no?  No other drummers have done that as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 09:02:32 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #338 on: November 21, 2010, 08:41:32 AM »
"Did everyone see my DT videos? Everyone seems to really dig them. Going to be a busy New Year to keep things going! www.YouTube.com/DrumDocZ"

So he's basically saying that it won't be easy to sustain the interest in his videos in 2011.
I don't think he's hinting at being the new drummer for DT here - if anything, he's hinting at the opposite.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: November 21, 2010, 12:55:44 PM »
I'm not too excited about the possible Charlie Z choice.  Like most of you, I looked him up on Facebook and added him as a friend.  And the first thing I see is a profile photo of him wearing sunglasses on a leather couch like he's some kind of cool dude.  Egh.  Makes him look like a cocky guy who thinks his sh*t don't stink.  Like a rockstar wannabe-type, similar to Sherinian in the mid 1990s.  It's not what Dream Theater needs.  I then checked out his videos, which were good.  But image is just as important as playing.  He doesn't feel like the right choice to me.  Plus, kinda unprofessional to advertise on FB that you auditioned, no?  No other drummers have done that as far as I can tell.

I disagree; Sherinian's image may have been unusual for Dream Theater, but he made some great musical contributions to the band. Image plays a very small part.

And there is one thing I'd like to point out: regardless of whether or not the new drummer turns out to be a "hired gun", that is something that Sherinian was not. When Rudess said no back in 1994, Sherinian was hired as the band's new keyboardist. Rudess was their number one choice, but Sherinian was a perfectly acceptable #2, and they probably expected him to stay around for a long time. But when circumstances with Rudess changed (LTE, etc.), Sherinian ended up being replaced. You can't call him a hired gun, because the rest of the guys in Dream Theater would not have had any idea that those circumstances with Rudess would change down the line.

And actually come to think of it, unless the band explicitly knows that Portnoy will return in x number of years (which I'm pretty sure they don't), the new drummer shouldn't be seen as a hired gun, either.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #340 on: November 21, 2010, 01:14:19 PM »
Really, if he's anything like Derek, I'll be very happy.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Online Adami

« Reply #341 on: November 21, 2010, 01:23:19 PM »
I agree the term Hired Gun isn't really suitable, however if the mindset is "We'll get this guy, and if Portnoy ever decides to come back, then this guy will be fired" then that's not very far away from a hired gun.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #342 on: November 21, 2010, 01:42:40 PM »
And there is one thing I'd like to point out: regardless of whether or not the new drummer turns out to be a "hired gun", that is something that Sherinian was not. When Rudess said no back in 1994, Sherinian was hired as the band's new keyboardist. Rudess was their number one choice, but Sherinian was a perfectly acceptable #2, and they probably expected him to stay around for a long time.
Actually, when Rudess said no, Sherinian was hired as a hired gun, because the tour was already arranged.  He wasn't made an actual member of the band until later.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: November 21, 2010, 02:28:26 PM »
And there is one thing I'd like to point out: regardless of whether or not the new drummer turns out to be a "hired gun", that is something that Sherinian was not. When Rudess said no back in 1994, Sherinian was hired as the band's new keyboardist. Rudess was their number one choice, but Sherinian was a perfectly acceptable #2, and they probably expected him to stay around for a long time.
Actually, when Rudess said no, Sherinian was hired as a hired gun, because the tour was already arranged.  He wasn't made an actual member of the band until later.

Well okay, fine. I admit that I forgot about that. But the point is that he was an actual band member.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #344 on: November 21, 2010, 06:04:11 PM »
Eventually.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #345 on: November 21, 2010, 08:57:40 PM »

Marco Minnemann

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #346 on: November 21, 2010, 09:17:57 PM »
**EDIT: sorry , wrong thread***

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: November 21, 2010, 11:16:22 PM »
From Charlie Z's Facebook:

"Wow, I really appreciate all the love with the comments on the Dream Theater videos but everyone seems to be misinterpreting what I've been saying. I just got wind of the audition tunes and put them up myself on my YouTube for everyone to see. DT saw them but I was not asked down to audition live. I wish whoever gets the drum chair in DT the best of luck and have a good idea of who it is. I personally don't think I am a drummer who is big enough or popular enough to fill the shoes of a drumming legend like Mike Portnoy. But I really appreciate all the support and love everyone has been giving me. I definitely have a busy New Year to try to keep anyone who has checked me out on the Dream Theater scene into things I do and hope to continue to make music and videos people like. Thanks everyone!"

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #348 on: November 21, 2010, 11:47:52 PM »
Back to square one again, I guess.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online Adami

« Reply #349 on: November 21, 2010, 11:56:59 PM »