23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1059254 times)

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #280 on: November 20, 2010, 12:57:21 PM »
From Charlie Zeleny's FB.

"Did everyone see my DT videos? Everyone seems to really dig them. Going to be a busy New Year to keep things going! www.YouTube.com/DrumDocZ"

"Everyone wants to know about me & DT. I'm unable to say. I can only say that the 3 tunes everyone auditioned with are found on my YouTube."
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #281 on: November 20, 2010, 01:00:32 PM »
With that first post, did he basically admit he was chosen?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #282 on: November 20, 2010, 01:01:27 PM »
From Charlie Zeleny's FB.

"Did everyone see my DT videos? Everyone seems to really dig them. Going to be a busy New Year to keep things going! www.YouTube.com/DrumDocZ"

"Everyone wants to know about me & DT. I'm unable to say. I can only say that the 3 tunes everyone auditioned with are found on my YouTube."

So we got either Nightmare, Spirit, Dance or Metropolis as the three.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #283 on: November 20, 2010, 01:05:52 PM »
With that first post, did he basically admit he was chosen?

Seems so.

Online Adami

« Reply #284 on: November 20, 2010, 01:09:28 PM »
My only problem with Charlie Z is that I don't see DTs music growing or changing with him. I'm 100% positive he can play all of the old stuff perfectly, without having to adjust anything about hi splaying. But I was hoping a new drummer could that, plus bring in a new style along with that. Like Lange or something. Charlie Z will be a fine addition, but things will remain status quoe
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #285 on: November 20, 2010, 01:11:50 PM »
My only problem with Charlie Z is that I don't see DTs music growing or changing with him. I'm 100% positive he can play all of the old stuff perfectly, without having to adjust anything about hi splaying. But I was hoping a new drummer could that, plus bring in a new style along with that. Like Lange or something. Charlie Z will be a fine addition, but things will remain status quoe

Agreed, but my hopes for the next album are still very high.

Online Adami

« Reply #286 on: November 20, 2010, 01:15:37 PM »

Agreed, but my hopes for the next album are still very high.

As our mine, but now inspite of the drummer. It seems with charlie, it will be Petrucci and co being responsible for anything new. While charlie does pretty much whatever portnoy would have done.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #287 on: November 20, 2010, 01:20:32 PM »
So now we know what songs they played!

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: November 20, 2010, 01:49:27 PM »
I was under the impression that, based on certain sources or whatever, Charlie hadn't auditioned. And now he's suddenly a frontrunner?

I concur.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #289 on: November 20, 2010, 01:56:51 PM »
I was under the impression that, based on certain sources or whatever, Charlie hadn't auditioned. And now he's suddenly a frontrunner?
Rumours are rumours. Charlie on the other hand has outright stated that he auditioned.

And yes, it looks like he's the new drummer. Or at least in line for it. "Unable to say" is light years away from "not being considered." Even if he's maybe one of a final two, I'm tempted to say all bets are off...

If it's true, he was voted third most probable. Second if you discredit the Kevin Moore votes. Which does say a fair bit about our power to guess rationally, possibly.

Virgil Donati    16 (7.6%)
Peter Wildoer    13 (6.2%)
Mike Mangini    25 (11.8%)
Marco Minnemann    6 (2.8%)
Thomas Lang    33 (15.6%)
Charlie Zeleny    29 (13.7%)
Terry Bozzio    5 (2.4%)
Nick D'Virgilio    2 (0.9%)
Mark Zonder    2 (0.9%)
Rod Morgenstein    6 (2.8%)
Bobby Jarzombek    3 (1.4%)
Ted Kirkpatrick    1 (0.5%)
John Macaluso    3 (1.4%)
Travis Orbin    0 (0%)
Chris Maitland    1 (0.5%)
Richard Christy    1 (0.5%)
Martin Lopez    5 (2.4%)
Gavin Harrison    3 (1.4%)
Zombie Mike Portnoy    15 (7.1%)
Kevin Moore    30 (14.2%)
OTHER    12 (5.7%)

Or, ranked...

1. Thomas Lang    33 (15.6%)
2. Kevin Moore    30 (14.2%)
3. Charlie Zeleny    29 (13.7%)
4. Mike Mangini    25 (11.8%)
5. Virgil Donati    16 (7.6%)
6. Zombie Mike Portnoy    15 (7.1%)
7. Peter Wildoer    13 (6.2%)
8. Marco Minnemann    6 (2.8%)
8. Rod Morgenstein    6 (2.8%)
10. Terry Bozzio    5 (2.4%)
10. Martin Lopez    5 (2.4%)
12. Bobby Jarzombek    3 (1.4%)
12. John Macaluso    3 (1.4%)
12. Gavin Harrison    3 (1.4%)
15. Nick D'Virgilio    2 (0.9%)
15. Mark Zonder    2 (0.9%)
17. Ted Kirkpatrick    1 (0.5%)
17. Chris Maitland    1 (0.5%)
17. Richard Christy    1 (0.5%)
20. Travis Orbin    0 (0%)

x. OTHER    12 (5.7%)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 02:04:25 PM by robwebster »

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #290 on: November 20, 2010, 01:57:15 PM »

Well he said it, man.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #291 on: November 20, 2010, 01:59:27 PM »
Quick, everyone add him as a friend before the shitstorm of people that are gonna visit his page after the announcment! :P

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #292 on: November 20, 2010, 02:03:36 PM »
Thinking realistically prevailed again (at least for me). Well, if he's the new drummer: Congratulations to Charlie Z.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #293 on: November 20, 2010, 02:28:07 PM »
It sure seems that he is the new drummer,i am still waiting for the official announcement though.
I don't know if he is the ideal drummer for DT,he is impressive though.
Let's hope for the best for the band and for him.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: November 20, 2010, 02:28:46 PM »
Although I'm still hesitant to accept the fact that he's the new drummer, I did opt to take a look at his Dream Theater covers for the first time. One thing I noticed is that his emotion really fluctuates while he plays. At some points, he'll be playing with all kinds of emotion and energy and candour, while at other times he just seems rather flat and as though he's just going through the motions. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed his cover of A Nightmare to Remember.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #295 on: November 20, 2010, 02:39:29 PM »
i think now that if he is the new drummer,DT chose  a new talent instead of a big star.
I think if this is the case it's a very cool decision from  the band.I am VERY excited for the next chapter in DT history.I am optimistic.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: November 20, 2010, 02:48:55 PM »
I share the same concern of Adami.

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #297 on: November 20, 2010, 03:13:31 PM »
Interesting. I'd assumed that he must have auditioned to get his hands on the DT tracks he drums to on YouTube. Not convinced he's got the job though - the band may have asked all those auditioning to keep quiet on the subject, which would explain why we've heard absolutely nothing from any of the secret seven.

Offline peruvianskynewhampshire

• I worship bacon,particularly black pepper bacon.Bow to the bacon gods
  • I saw a white light. Shining there before me
« Reply #298 on: November 20, 2010, 03:15:20 PM »
Lets be fair,nobody will replace mp. For those out there that say he looked flat,he is covering another drummers work. Its a audition,and you want to be spot on to show you can "cover" the songs. If he is the new drummer i truly believe he will add his own style to dt as well as his own energy. I for one dont want a mp clone,I want someone that is talented in his own right and passionate about his craft and by watching those videos I saw both.I will miss the energy and the spirit that mp brought to dt,but am truly excited for the future. dt will be better than ever,I have no doubts. :metal
life goes by to fast,if you dont stop and take a look around it will pass you by

Offline Ice9ine

« Reply #299 on: November 20, 2010, 03:17:49 PM »
I dunno. Im not sold on this Charlie Z guy. Yes he can play, but hes not a scratch on Lang. I dont think Charlie is the same level of musician that the other guys in the band are. He reminds me of a  Derek Sherinian look alike on drums...just sayin.

The stick catching thing looks silly to me. Either do rediculous tricks that defy physics or do nothing. The ones on ANTR look try hard imo.

Im not openly flaming this guy, he is very good from the videos, I was hoping for more of a musical genius like the others.

AND if he gets the gig, I genuinely look forward to what he has to offer. Thomas Lang would complete the circle of musical freaks imo.
I crossed the crooked step.

Online Adami

« Reply #300 on: November 20, 2010, 03:19:24 PM »
Interesting. I'd assumed that he must have auditioned to get his hands on the DT tracks he drums to on YouTube.

Sounds like he's just drumming over the CD. And if not, he's friends with JR, I'd think he could get whatever tracks he wanted.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #301 on: November 20, 2010, 03:21:03 PM »

The stick catching thing looks silly to me. Either do rediculous tricks that defy physics or do nothing. The ones on ANTR look try hard imo.

Well that's just silly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline robwebster

« Reply #302 on: November 20, 2010, 04:12:47 PM »
Interesting. I'd assumed that he must have auditioned to get his hands on the DT tracks he drums to on YouTube. Not convinced he's got the job though - the band may have asked all those auditioning to keep quiet on the subject, which would explain why we've heard absolutely nothing from any of the secret seven.
Definitely. I'd be surprised if they hadn't asked all of them to stay quiet. Wouldn't say the conclusion's foregone.

I threw up the list as it stood at the time, 'cause all of a sudden there's a lot of noise from a particular direction, and that's reduced the guesswork substantially. If Charlie Z gets a lot of votes all of a sudden, that won't have much to do with intuition, and have a lot more to do with him saying he's auditioned and that he can't say whether he's got the job but he's gonna have a busy new year.

There'll be seven people who aren't allowed to say anything. All we have is a bit of a nudge and a wink. Could be misdirection or it could be a man wrestling with a secret that's bursting to get out. But it's kind of "that phase," now.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: November 20, 2010, 05:02:21 PM »
Interesting. I'd assumed that he must have auditioned to get his hands on the DT tracks he drums to on YouTube.

Sounds like he's just drumming over the CD.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. At certain times when MP plays the octobans and CZ plays something different, you can hear the different pitches.

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #304 on: November 20, 2010, 05:35:45 PM »
If Charlie Z actually was chosen as the new DT drummer, I would be really disappointed. I've seen he's YouTube videos performing DT's songs and I'm honestly not impressed at all, not that he's a bad drummer or anything like that, but to me he seems amaturish and you think that the other guys that auditioned are none other than some of the world's highest profile drummers (Lang, Donati, Minnemann, Mangini). To me it would be really awkward for DT to choose the least qualified candidate. Then again it wouldn't be the first time a world class  band chooses a less than adequate replacement (Iron Maiden - Blaze) not that Charlie is like Blaze, but you guys get the idea.

Another

Online Adami

« Reply #305 on: November 20, 2010, 05:38:06 PM »
If Charlie Z actually was chosen as the new DT drummer, I would be really disappointed. I've seen he's YouTube videos performing DT's songs and I'm honestly not impressed at all, not that he's a bad drummer or anything like that, but to me he seems amaturish and you think that the other guys that auditioned are none other than some of the world's highest profile drummers (Lang, Donati, Minnemann, Mangini). To me it would be really awkward for DT to choose the least qualified candidate. Then again it wouldn't be the first time a world class  band chooses a less than adequate replacement (Iron Maiden - Blaze) not that Charlie is like Blaze, but you guys get the idea.

Another

The only thing "amateurish" about Charlie Z is the video quality he uses. That's it. His playing is far from amateurish.

No, he's not Lang, or Donati or Minnemann or Mangini...........but he's a damn fine drummer who just isn't very famous yet.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ice9ine

« Reply #306 on: November 20, 2010, 05:47:27 PM »

Another

The only thing "amateurish" about Charlie Z is the video quality he uses. That's it. His playing is far from amateurish.

No, he's not Lang, or Donati or Minnemann or Mangini...........but he's a damn fine drummer who just isn't very famous yet.

He is amateurish in comparison to the other candidates and the quality of the DT members themselves.

Compared to the 'average' professional drummer, he however is excellent.
I crossed the crooked step.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #307 on: November 20, 2010, 05:57:45 PM »
He's already a great MP replacement..announcing shit outside of a formal band statement!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #308 on: November 20, 2010, 05:58:48 PM »
I'd take another Sherinian anyday of the week.

Online Adami

« Reply #309 on: November 20, 2010, 06:16:05 PM »

Another

He is amateurish in comparison to the other candidates and the quality of the DT members themselves.

Compared to the 'average' professional drummer, he however is excellent.

And you're basing this off of what? Thd fact that  he's not famous and doesn't have instructional DVD's?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lithium112

« Reply #310 on: November 20, 2010, 06:31:50 PM »
He's already a great MP replacement..announcing shit outside of a formal band statement!
:lol

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #311 on: November 20, 2010, 07:04:48 PM »
Charlie Z's post means that he is either the new drummer of Dream Theater, or is really taking advantage of knowing the auditioned songs. If it's him taking advantage of the situation for popularity, he may not even have even auditioned and just knew the songs... (based on his wording in the second post)

Seems like I'm agreeing with a lot of people on that fact that Charlie seems more like the 'hired gun' choice among the other names involved. A guy the band may push away if needed (like DS).

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #312 on: November 20, 2010, 09:49:14 PM »
Unfortunately, I totally see where you're coming from, MemoryScenes. Time will tell. Whoever the new guy is, I hope he's here to stay.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #313 on: November 21, 2010, 12:31:08 AM »
well you've given it alot of thought, so your opinion must be very valid.

Um. Yeah, okay. I'd like to refer you to the title of this thread: "Place your bets - DT's new drummer." All I'm doing is placing my 'bet', buddy.
sorry mate, didn't mean to come across like such an ass and disrespect your opinion. I initially felt, in MY opinion, that no one has given it much thought if they thought Lang is the ideal for Dream Theater. That's just how i feel about him; he's got the chops, the look, and the kit, but not much else. However, this is DT, they aren't the most musically complex band in the world, and Lang would tick the playability and "looks" boxes easily. My vote goes with Minnemann because he would have a LOT to offer musically to the band (the way he thinks about time signatures is very similar to how Jordan does, interestingly), and in terms of looks, maybe not as suitable as Lang, but that isn't of importance in my books. I'd be disappointed if Lang was picked, but I trust DT will make the right decision (and Lang prove me wrong on the next record!)

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #314 on: November 21, 2010, 12:41:26 AM »
Ok just noticed the fuss about Charlies twitter posts. I'm thinking he is most likely the drummer. I can dig it. Although he kind of looks like a younger John Petrucci (6DOIT days), which could get on JPs nerves hehe.