23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1055631 times)

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2010, 07:32:59 PM »
Wish this had multiple choice so I could vote Kevin Moore and Zombie Mike Portnoy.

-JP: "So look. Next section is in 2/4, and I want you to..."
-ZMP: "ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!"
-JP: "Yeah we're not doing that stuff again"

Seriously I voted Thomas Lang.

Offline LTE

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2010, 07:42:13 PM »
I would hope not Charlie Z, his technique is terrible, and it's all stuck around one dynamic.

Come to think of it, we should do all our bashing of these drummers before they are announced, so as to not break forum rules.

Donati sucks.  Minnemann is a nobody.  Bozzio is an old fart.  Zeleny is sloppy. Wildoer's vocals are detestable.  Lang is an arrogant *****.  Mangini is...uh...too nice.  And too cool looking.

There.  Got that off my chest.

I don't get why people see Lang as arrogant. He never has seemed arrogant imo, he's just an incredible drummer who loves to perfect his craft and has a lot of fun drumming.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2010, 07:51:58 PM »

Donati sucks. 

Dude. I thought you were cool

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2010, 07:56:59 PM »
I would hope not Charlie Z, his technique is terrible, and it's all stuck around one dynamic.

Come to think of it, we should do all our bashing of these drummers before they are announced, so as to not break forum rules.

Donati sucks.  Minnemann is a nobody.  Bozzio is an old fart.  Zeleny is sloppy. Wildoer's vocals are detestable.  Lang is an arrogant *****.  Mangini is...uh...too nice.  And too cool looking.

There.  Got that off my chest.

Yes because my comment is bashing that are along those very same lines. So many people are agreeing on this guy as the drummer, and I very much happen to disagree with that because he has very uncontrolled technique and plays music that IMO is overly obsessed with time signature changes and strange beats (judging by a few videos, he seems more appropriate in a band like BTBAM). I've read that Zeleny actually went to a graduate school for jazz, yet judging by what I've seen I see absolutely nothing to indicate that.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2010, 08:00:12 PM »

Donati sucks. 

Ha, I was just kiddin yalls.  Donati is pretty good, I'll admit--one of the better drummers in the prog rock scene.  He could definitely pull off DT.  But realistically, I feel that some of the other drummers are simply a better fit.

A thought came to mind.  What if Peter Wildoer isn't selected, and he has to go on tour with CJS in November and December?  Awkward...
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jeebustrain

• King of Disappointment
  • EZBoard Elder
  • suck it

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2010, 08:10:09 PM »
Donati gets my vote. But looks like Kevin Moore guy is winning the poll. Never heard of him, is he any good?
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2010, 08:15:18 PM »
My only wish for the new drummer, regardless of who it is, is that they lock in and play with the bass rather than the guitar. MP's insistence on locking in with JP rather than JM is a serious, amateur-level flaw in an otherwise great drummer.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2010, 11:22:37 PM »
My only wish for the new drummer, regardless of who it is, is that they lock in and play with the bass rather than the guitar. MP's insistence on locking in with JP rather than JM is a serious, amateur-level flaw in an otherwise great drummer.

I agree with that. The rhythm section has always been (and will always be) bass and drums (at least in a one-guitar setting).
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2010, 11:26:58 PM »

Donati sucks.

Ha, I was just kiddin yalls.  Donati is pretty good, I'll admit--one of the better drummers in the prog rock scene.  He could definitely pull off DT.  But realistically, I feel that some of the other drummers are simply a better fit.

A thought came to mind.  What if Peter Wildoer isn't selected, and he has to go on tour with CJS in November and December?  Awkward...

I had thought about that. It's likely he won't pass up the paycheck.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2010, 11:28:56 PM »
I have a feeling that none of the guys (maybe except for Charlie Z or other semi-unknowns) will care if they get passed up. They all get LOTS of work.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ice9ine

« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2010, 12:09:37 AM »
I so hope it is Thomas Lang. The tech and creativity he would bring would be mind blowing.

For some reason I am also backing a real dark horse in Jason Bittner. Don't ask me why as I really have no idea why, I just have a gut feeling *shrug* maybe its just that vindaloo I had last night.

....no wait.....Vindaloo....Bombay Vindaloo...wow this is getting freaky....
I crossed the crooked step.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2010, 06:29:49 AM »
Well, its its not going to be Herman Rarebell, I'm going with zombie Mike! :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »
John Myung will switch to drums and become the drummer! It's the most logical choice; on BC&SL he doubled JP 99% of the time and from now on, there won't be any bass so JM can concentrate on drumming! :neverusethis:
JLB could be a 2nd choice: then he'd be on stage all the time!  :lol
Seriously though, I don't really know who I'd vote for.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2010, 08:48:18 AM »
I'm thinking Leeroy Jenkins would be great!

JLB: This next song is one of our favorites. In fact a neat story behind it is...
LJ: Let's do this! LEEEEEEERRRRRROOOOYYYYYY JEEEEEEENNNNNNNNKINNNSS!! (drum roll)
Band:  :facepalm:
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2010, 09:44:04 AM »
Donati gets my vote. But looks like Kevin Moore guy is winning the poll. Never heard of him, is he any good?

He's the best!  Just look at his awesome work on OSI 1, in which he manipulated MP's drumming.  You can't go wrong with Kevin Moore!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »
I have a feeling that none of the guys (maybe except for Charlie Z or other semi-unknowns) will care if they get passed up. They all get LOTS of work.
That exactly.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2010, 02:31:42 PM »

JLB: This next song is one of our favorites. In fact a neat story behind it is...
LJ: Let's do this! LEEEEEEERRRRRROOOOYYYYYY JEEEEEEENNNNNNNNKINNNSS!! (drum roll)

:lol :rollin :lol
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2010, 02:31:07 AM »
My vote went to T. Lang, because he's cool because he seems like an amazingly creative drummer, and I think that the guys appreciate that.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 02:36:37 AM by kartmaze2 »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2010, 04:37:02 AM »
So many questions with this issue. They could go for a well-known name like the ones listed in this poll, or they could go for a complete unknown. Also, I wonder if they'll go for someone younger than them (under 40 or even under 30)?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2010, 04:45:10 AM »
Currently I'm betting on:

Peter Wildoer is the guy. The JLB solo tour is canceled, because Dream Theater are going to do warm-up tour with Peter where they'll also play some of the new James LaBrie songs. While this songs like a disappointing move at first, it's really not because ticket sales were probably not great and because most of the JLB fans really want DT instead, regardless of how great the new JLB album is.

That's just my guess, and kind of my wish.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2010, 04:56:04 AM »
Three people actually voted for Martin Lopez? Have you forgotten why he left Opeth?
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2010, 04:59:31 AM »
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=148500

Regarding how the drummer auditions went, LaBrie said, "[The auditions] were phenomenal. I mean, it was something, obviously, unprecedented for this band, and it is for most bands, but it was just a really unique and very surreal experience for us. But I can't really comment on it any further than that other than that we're moving forward and everything is very positive. And that's about it. It's really touchy as to what we can really talk about in that area right now."
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2010, 05:05:30 AM »
Three people actually voted for Martin Lopez? Have you forgotten why he left Opeth?

He's sick, right?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2010, 05:30:58 AM »
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=148500

Regarding how the drummer auditions went, LaBrie said, "[The auditions] were phenomenal. I mean, it was something, obviously, unprecedented for this band, and it is for most bands, but it was just a really unique and very surreal experience for us. But I can't really comment on it any further than that other than that we're moving forward and everything is very positive. And that's about it. It's really touchy as to what we can really talk about in that area right now."

Thanks for the link Wolf!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2010, 05:34:33 AM »
No probs, I couldn't see anyone else that had posted it.  Good to see everything went according to the time line.  Interesting to know what they are doing now and if they have made a choice.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2010, 06:00:30 AM »

He's sick, right?
He got anxiety attacks while on tour. Mikael Åkerfeldt even said that he called him the day before they were gonna start a tour (Ghost Reveries or Damnation/Deliverence I believe) and said he couldn't do it.

Doesn't sound like that good a fit for DT, does it? :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2010, 07:21:12 AM »
I think Mike Mangini is one and only good replacement for MP

or maybe Thomas Lang...
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2010, 11:35:33 AM »
Bert and Ernie will take care of his drumming while cookie monster will do his singing. :neverusethis:

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2010, 11:42:26 AM »
Currently I'm betting on:

Peter Wildoer is the guy. The JLB solo tour is canceled, because Dream Theater are going to do warm-up tour with Peter where they'll also play some of the new James LaBrie songs. While this songs like a disappointing move at first, it's really not because ticket sales were probably not great and because most of the JLB fans really want DT instead, regardless of how great the new JLB album is.

That's just my guess, and kind of my wish.

the tour cancellation had nothing to do with ticket sales and all to do with work visas. from what i understand, the sales were actually doing quite well.

regardless, i don't see how DT could be planning live shows before they start up in the studio in January, which JLB has confirmed is still the plan.

i also highly doubt DT would play any of JLB's solo stuff. they've yet to incorporate any of the other guy's solo stuff save for some LTE here and there, but that's just because 3 of the 5 guys wrote that stuff.

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2010, 11:52:46 AM »
If we get a drummer that doesn't do vocals I wonder if we will get the original version of ANTR when they play it (ie the one with James singing the Day after day... section)

BTW does anyone have the three clips of that section, one with JLB, one how it ended up and one with full on growling?

Matt

Offline pmahoney1337

« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2010, 12:28:01 PM »

I found this quite hilarious

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2010, 12:47:20 PM »
BTW does anyone have the three clips of that section, one with JLB, one how it ended up and one with full on growling?

They should still be on Mike's forum somewhere, that's where he posted them originally. Look back through his posts.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2010, 03:51:19 PM »
...a guy in my new sig...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS