23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1055722 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2010, 01:53:20 PM »
Well, I was going to hold out, pretend to know something, and mess with you guys.  But bottom line, I'll fess up and admit I don't know much more than most of you.  I'll go on record.  My vote was for Lang.  My second pick is Charlie Z.  My third is Bobby Jarzombek.  Those are not necessarily my "favorites" (although Lang is a new favorite of mine); they are who I think are the most likely based on what little we do know.  I will be really surprised if it is not one of those three.  
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2010, 02:19:50 PM »
Bosk, what little do we know that tells you that Jarzombek would be a Top 3. I don't even think he made Stevetheater's list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2010, 02:23:09 PM »
My wish would be for Mike Mangini.  I think it will be Charlie Z.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2010, 02:57:08 PM »
1) Thomas Lang is my top choice and who I voted for

These are the next two
2) Marco Minnemann
3) Charlie Z
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2010, 02:58:30 PM »
Virgil
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2010, 03:06:19 PM »
kevin moore

Offline Amoniz

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2010, 03:07:33 PM »
Richard Christy -
him & Mike have toured together, so I don't know...

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2010, 03:11:32 PM »
Shouldn't Mike Portnoy's name be on this list? It's only fair since Moore is there, too. How funny would it be if after all this Portnoy just ended up coming back to DT and he is going to be revealed as the drummer. lol. Now it makes me wonder which has a better chance. What I just suggested, or Kevin Moore drumming for DT. Hmm... It's a close one for sure.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2010, 03:14:17 PM »
Man, I'm looking at a bunch of Lang's videos now, and they guy really can play.  Not sure whether I want him or Charlie Z to be the new drummer, but if Lang were to relocate or the band really was fine with him being in LA, then I'd be totally happy.  As much as I love Charlie and I know that he already has a love for DT, energy, and ties to JR and NY, I think Lang is more likely to be the new drummer unless they find some undiscovered talent that no one knows about at all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2010, 03:15:55 PM »
The other day, I was thinking of Collin Leijenaar auditioning, and I kind of laughed about how something like that would go down.  I mean, as far as I know, Collin's only connection to DT is through Mike.  So it would probably be something like:

-Mike:  Hello?
-Collin:  Hey, Mike.  It's, uh...Collin.
-Mike:  Oh, hey buddy!  What's up?
-Collin:  Well...um...this is a little awkward, but...well, I know you and DT aren't together anymore...and...um...well, I was thinking about auditioning...
-Mike:  ...
-Collin:  Yeah...uh...so, you wouldn't mind, right?
-Mike:  ...Well, look.  It's not my band anymore, so who am I to say?
-Collin:  Seriously?  You'd be cool with it?  
-Mike:  ...Well, I mean, you already replaced me in Neal's band, so, yeah, whatever.
-Collin:  ...
-Mike:  What?
-Collin:  So...do you think you could introduce me?
-Collin:  ...and, you know...maybe tell me what kind of things they like.  You know, to help my chances, and--
*Mike slams the phone down*
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2010, 03:18:34 PM »
My guess it's gonna be Peter Wildoer or Marco Minnemann.

And to what everybody thinks these last few weeks... Charlie Z did NOT audition!

Steve

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2010, 03:20:07 PM »

And to what everybody thinks these last few weeks... Charlie Z did NOT audition!

Steve

I'm sorry, how do you know these things? Are you like Issac Mendez? Do you draw the future?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2010, 03:25:24 PM »
And just for the record, if anyone actually votes for Kevin Moore I am going to become a restaurant critic, rip your lungs from your chest, eat them with tomato ketchup, and then give them a snide review, making you the laughing stock of the culinary world.

POTY

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2010, 03:28:20 PM »
And just for the record, if anyone actually votes for Kevin Moore I am going to become a restaurant critic, rip your lungs from your chest, eat them with tomato ketchup, and then give them a snide review, making you the laughing stock of the culinary world.

POTY

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Yeah, an Englishman becoming a restaurant critic who'll be respected enough to have his review counting for something - that's some hilarious shit right there. :biggrin:
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2010, 03:29:54 PM »
Hey now!  You and your squirrel avatar can just leave it those are the kinds of comments you're going to make in this fine thread.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2010, 03:30:28 PM »

Steve

I've never even heard of Marco Minneman before today, but after Youtubing him, the guy would seem to fit in perfectly. I would certainly see him in this band before Wildoer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2010, 03:31:01 PM »
Hey now!  You and your squirrel avatar can just leave it those are the kinds of comments you're going to make in this fine thread.

I'm sorry, what?
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2010, 03:35:36 PM »

Steve

I'm sorry, how do you know these things? Are you like Issac Mendez? Do you draw the future?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 06:18:48 AM by STEVETHEATER »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2010, 03:40:19 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, how does he know who auditioned?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline John94

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2010, 03:43:19 PM »
*research some drummers schedules*
Charlies Z's youtube vids might have just been to get people talking and generate a buzz possibly for himself...but I did enjoy his cover of ANTR.

Oh and to the guy who posted about Isaac Mendez - he was my favourite character in Heroes!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2010, 03:47:27 PM »
No Ringo Starr option? ???

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2010, 03:48:21 PM »

Rumor has it he turned down the audition.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2010, 03:55:22 PM »

Rumor has it he turned down the audition.

I'd rather have Zach Starkey.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ħ

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2010, 04:18:07 PM »
The other day, I was thinking of Collin Leijenaar auditioning, and I kind of laughed about how something like that would go down.  I mean, as far as I know, Collin's only connection to DT is through Mike.  So it would probably be something like:

-Mike:  Hello?
-Collin:  Hey, Mike.  It's, uh...Collin.
-Mike:  Oh, hey buddy!  What's up?
-Collin:  Well...um...this is a little awkward, but...well, I know you and DT aren't together anymore...and...um...well, I was thinking about auditioning...
-Collin:  Yeah...uh...so, you wouldn't mind, right?
-Mike:  ...Well, look.  It's not my band anymore, so who am I to say?
-Collin:  Seriously?  You'd be cool with it?  
-Mike:  ...Well, I mean, you already replaced me in Neal's band, so, yeah, whatever.
-Collin:  ...
-Mike:  What?
-Collin:  So...do you think you could introduce me?
-Collin:  ...and, you know...maybe tell me what kind of things they like.  You know, to help my chances, and--
*Mike slams the phone down*

:lol

Anyway, my vote went to TL.  If it's really true that CZ didn't audition, then I'm about 90% positive TL will be picked.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2010, 04:26:24 PM »
Martin Lopez would be a good choice, I think

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2010, 04:44:50 PM »
Seeing as how LaBrie just had an album full of obnoxious screams
The new album of JLB has:
3 songs with major screams (One More Time, Jekyll or Hyde, This is War)
3 songs with an average/low amount of screams (Mislead, I Need You, Who You Think I Am)
6 songs with barely any/no screams (Euphoric, Over the Edge, I Tried, Just Watch Me, Superstar, Coming Home). One of them is a beautiful ballad.

So yeah, can't say it's "full of screams", and I don't consider them obnoxious either.
However, I would love it if DT won't have even one more growl/scream attempt in their next albums. It's nice as an experiment like JLB did, not as a routine like MP did.
Wait, you just got sarcastic with Zook's comment, but then proceeded to call MP's harsh vocals "routine" when they cropped up less than Wildoer's? :lol
I mostly referred to the fact Mike insists on backing for more than one album. Sometimes it sounds like 'growls', sometimes it's just a  more or less lower register of what JLB is singing. But JLB only did it in one record, you can't judge him imo. Mike's backing weird sounds have been there for quite some time now.

Also, as far as I remember, Portnoy hinted in a few interviews that he sings that way to cover the "soft" voice of JLB. For a bad instance, I think he mentioned the whole ANtR growl attempt began because he wasn't satisfied with the original way JLB sang it. However in SI, they did it for experiment's sake.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2010, 05:08:01 PM »
I think age needs to be an important factor in DT's choice.  With the addition of Jordan 10 years ago, DT aged themselves fast.  He's more than 10 years older than the other guys and is now 54.  In addition, LaBrie is 5 years older than the other guys and is now pushing 50.  With Portnoy gone, JP and JM are the only ones left in their early 40s.  The drummer choice is important image-wise because it will either make the DT majority an old band or a still somewhat young band (to me, early 40s is still somewhat young).  I think they should go for someone in their late 30s, if possible. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline darkshade

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2010, 05:16:16 PM »

Although, it would mean that DT would've had two Johns, two Kevins, and two Charlies. That's six out of nine members.

6+9 = 15

15-4 (band members remaining) = 11

DT11lolomg

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2010, 05:36:28 PM »
:whatisthisidonteven:

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2010, 06:45:27 PM »

Steve

This isn't from the band if that's what you're thinking,  but a certain drummer who was in Holland not so long ago... he kinda couldn't keep his mouth shut... I'm not saying that what I say is true but I heard some things.

I'm having a hard time understanding why the guy leading the polls and the most obvious and logical choice didn't even get to audition. I'm also having a hard time believing it. I don't like BS-ing though. If you've got info to tell, spill the beans. You really think beating around the bush but telling us through clever guises is really gonna make anyone less angry if they find out there's a leak? Just be blunt and direct; spell it out for us.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2010, 06:54:40 PM »
STEVETHEATER is a well-known member of the DT online community.  He doesn't deserve the third degree.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2010, 07:00:10 PM »
I would hope not Charlie Z, his technique is terrible, and it's all stuck around one dynamic.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2010, 07:12:48 PM »
I would hope not Charlie Z, his technique is terrible, and it's all stuck around one dynamic.

Come to think of it, we should do all our bashing of these drummers before they are announced, so as to not break forum rules.

Donati sucks.  Minnemann is a nobody.  Bozzio is an old fart.  Zeleny is sloppy. Wildoer's vocals are detestable.  Lang is an arrogant *****.  Mangini is...uh...too nice.  And too cool looking.

There.  Got that off my chest.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The Awesome

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2010, 07:16:31 PM »
If Lang is actually vying for the job, it's a no brainer. You simply cannot do any better than Lang from a technical standpoint, and that compliments DT perfectly.