News:

DreamTheaterForums is a place for people who just don't have the time for music anymore. 

Main Menu

Place your bets again - DT's next top model.

Started by robwebster, October 27, 2010, 07:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's that Pokémon?!

Virgil Donati
6 (2.2%)
Peter Wildoer
17 (6.1%)
Mike Mangini
157 (56.3%)
Marco Minnemann
49 (17.6%)
Thomas Lang
23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 279

SystematicThought

Yeah, how dare he throws the sticks after finishing a complex song!  :\

ricky

Quote from: Lowdz on April 22, 2011, 04:03:38 PM
Quote from: ariich on April 22, 2011, 03:20:48 PM
Quote from: Lowdz on April 22, 2011, 03:11:51 PM
The way Mangini is shown throwing the sticks away at the end of the video has just pissed me right off and I really don't want it to be him. It just looks so arrogant and un-DT.
Uh... what?! MP used to do it, and loads of drummers do it. He was probably just having fun, from the couple of reports we've heard from the drummers, it sounds like it was an enjoyable time.

But it was an audition and it just smacked of "I am awesome and I've just proved it. The deal is done" and it rubbed me up the wrong way.
MP earned the right to do it.
I've enjoyed checking out these drummers over the last few months but every Mangini video I've seen I haven't liked. Awful drum sound and overplaying to the detriment of the song. I am worried now. I'm feeling like it may be Queensryche all over again. I need to go and lie down! Nurse, the screens.

i can understand why it might rub you the wrong way, but in no way were they arrogant in throwing their sticks. as ariich said, mp used to do it, so in no way should it been seen as insulting. they were just acting in the spontaneity of the moment. nothing more, nothing less.  

bosk1

Yeah, Lowdz, I think you're reading too much into it.  Seems to me he was just having a bit of fun, which I think is cool.

bloop

He didn't throw his sticks, his sticks fled due to fear of his incredible drumming.

bosk1

Quote from: bloop on April 22, 2011, 04:33:15 PM
He didn't throw his sticks, his sticks fled due to fear of his incredible drumming.

:lol

wolfking

Quote from: bloop on April 22, 2011, 04:33:15 PM

I actually think JP's Killzone mode might be the answer, he sure as hell wasn't ready for that!

Tunnel Vision

I originally wanted it to be Lang and I still do, but all the evidence points to Mangini in my opinion. Even though Mangini was my #2 choice, I will still feel extremely happy for him if (but most likely when) they announce him name as the drummer! ;)

mittinagus

No excitement for Mangini whatsoever, i just can't imagine his drum machine sound adding a lot to DT's music...

Tin

pain of occupation

i can't understand how the sticks-throwing rubs someone the wrong way. i mean, whoopdy fuckin shit.

liquidtension

Quote from: pain of occupation on April 22, 2011, 09:11:16 PM
i can't understand how the sticks-throwing rubs someone the wrong way. i mean, whoopdy fuckin shit.

I agree.  It was a part of the video that I really liked.  It showed a personality to the playing - and obviously the other four liked it as well.  Otherwise, it wouldn't make the final edit.

The Silent Cody

Quote from: Tomislav95 on April 23, 2011, 04:12:29 AM
I want that drummer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hx_YU9m7nI ;D
Hehe, that would real DT top model ;) I don't know, I saw it before, she's good, and very flexible...;)

Nihil-Morari

I'm wanting to see the audition tapes more than hearing the new album right now actually, haha.
I'm totally seeing that become my favourite collection of DT video's.

Seeing Thomas Lang, Mike mangini, Virgil Donati and Marco Minnemann play DT songs in great studio quality. Man... I cannot imagine the awesomeness.

DarkLord_Lalinc

Lowdz

Quote from: pain of occupation on April 22, 2011, 09:11:16 PM

I was in a bad mood yesterday. It seems a silly thing to get pissed off about but it just felt wrong.
I've been a bit harsh on Mangini throughout this process and if he's the guy I'll have to get used to it. I'm sure the guys are a better judge of a good drummer than me, and they have to tour the world with the guy too.

Jamesman42

Wow, that was annoying to read, plus it is old. But still annoying
\o\ lol /o/

MemoryScenes

I found the 100% Mangini factor interesting. Thought it may swing some more votes his way.

bloop

Mangini is only the most probable possibility. Not the only one.

MemoryScenes

By my count haven't all of the others been eliminated by admission, scheduling conflicts, alternate projects, etc?

cyberdrummer

Zydar

emindead

bloop

ariich

The irony is that DT have absolutely tons of fans while Dominici have very few. But I guess that's the result of a hatred of "promotional ploys". :P

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

King Postwhore

I don't get the hate.  I love the drama and the behind the scenes stuff.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

DarkLord_Lalinc

emindead

To make a funny joke like that, one must have some kind of leverage, credibility, respect.

Charlie Dominici has none of the above.

FretMuppet

Quote from: emindead on April 24, 2011, 08:22:47 AM
To make a funny joke like that, one must have some kind of leverage, credibility, respect.

Charlie Dominici has none of the above.

LOL  :lol

rumborak

So, my band's drummer brought up an interesting point about the applicants, how a few of them (especially Donati and Lang) kinda have such a strong independent career going on that they might never had been truly part of DT, but rather "DT + Donati" etc.

rumborak

FretMuppet

Quote from: rumborak on April 24, 2011, 08:25:29 AM
So, my band's drummer brought up an interesting point about the applicants, how a few of them (especially Donati and Lang) kinda have such a strong independent career going on that they might never had been truly part of DT, but rather "DT + Donati" etc.

rumborak

I see what you mean, it may seem that DT are just another one of their projects they do, and not their "home," even though it seemed that Lang truly wanted to be part of DT when he mentioned the home.

antigoon

Now only if Dominici would come back here and defend that comment :corn

TAC

Quote from: rumborak on April 24, 2011, 08:25:29 AM

rumborak

I think that's part of what DT faced as they considered their options. All of these guys list many bands in their personal discographies and I'm sure that the DT guys didn't want to be just one of those many listed.

But if they did the "inviting" these guys to audition as it kind of sounds like they did, they had to know there was a risk. I've wondered who was invited and who actually applied. I suppose we'll see in the video.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol