23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1057451 times)

Offline nikostheater

Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #245 on: November 16, 2010, 02:49:47 PM »
It is possible to be anyone,known or unknown.
We simply don't know.
We have the list that stevetheater shared with us but we don't know how accurate is it.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #246 on: November 16, 2010, 03:41:18 PM »
Mike will be back sooner rather than later.  :smiley:
Um, not actually sure that's correct. From everything that's happened and been said since Mike left, it seems likely that there have been some issues on a personal issue between MP and one or more of the remaining members, and knowing how stubborn Mike can be, it seems unlikely that he would be willing to back down. Until things are 100% amiable between him and the others, I don't see Mike rejoining. To be honest, I don't see him coming back at all.

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #247 on: November 16, 2010, 03:45:14 PM »
It would be weird though to come a day that Mike will go to a DT concert as a fan like us..

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #248 on: November 17, 2010, 10:08:42 PM »
^^^ Mike will experience his first Dream Theater album from the viewpoint of a music listener, as opposed to the songwriter!!! I'd be interested to see how he responds to their new material... probably something like "Well done to the DT guys for creating an awesome album. Good to see MY baby is in safe hands :-(". n JP will be like "good tweet good tweet"

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #249 on: November 18, 2010, 05:35:57 AM »
I wonder if DT's new cd will make Mike's list for great music of the year.

I think if MP doesnt want any more backlash from DT fans, he might wanna be a bit diplomatic and "Act" supportive of DT.  That will actually help his career going forward.  If he acts like a whining baby or says mean things DT fans who still love him may be more inclined to avoid him and his new musical endeavors.

MP will say something eventually.  It is IMPOSSIBLE for him to stay quiet.

Offline LetsZep

« Reply #250 on: November 18, 2010, 07:10:22 AM »
Glyder (recently disbanded) have a great young up and coming drummer Davy Ryan.  Would be my outside bet..  In action here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErKfve16ipY

Offline T-ski

« Reply #251 on: November 18, 2010, 07:29:16 AM »
I'm sure after Mike hears the new DT album, he'll be heavily influenced by the music and be motivated to write something eerily similar on his next project.  ;)
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline metalpete

« Reply #252 on: November 18, 2010, 10:07:40 AM »
https://carlbegai.com/2010/11/15/peter-wildoer-thunder-and-the-beast/

New interview with Peter Wildoer where he talks about DT.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: November 18, 2010, 11:13:48 AM »
Looks as if pete did not audition after all.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #254 on: November 18, 2010, 11:20:05 AM »
I haven't really been following this discussion that much, i don't find speculating to be that interesting.
Whatever drummer gets picked, i trust in the guys to make a good decision.
Will be nice to hear how it affects the music on the next DT-album.  :tup

Offline Ħ

« Reply #255 on: November 18, 2010, 12:00:17 PM »
PW doesn't expressly say that he didn't audition.  He just said that it is impossible to replace Portnoy.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: November 18, 2010, 12:08:31 PM »
PW doesn't expressly say that he didn't audition.  He just said that it is impossible to replace Portnoy.

"There are a lot of people mailing me and contacting me through Facebook who want me to audition for Dream Theater, and I can totally see them thinking that since I’m on James’ new CD. That’s not my decision to make. I’m also extremely flattered they think I could pull it off. I would of course consider it if I was asked"

Looks like he wasn't asked, given this is a very recent interview.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #257 on: November 18, 2010, 12:13:04 PM »
Swedish.  Probably lost in translation.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #258 on: November 18, 2010, 12:24:31 PM »
Bengai commented on ytse times the interview was two weeks ago, which was right around audition times. I don't think chances are too great for him... unless it's all a cover up. Dun Dun Duuunnn.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #259 on: November 18, 2010, 12:24:58 PM »
So is this a "vote for your favorite pocket drummer" thread or what

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #260 on: November 18, 2010, 12:43:35 PM »
Tuff one to vote on but when i listen to lang i keep hearing the old style DT and do this :biggrin:
But as far as overall fit /sound /past experience and all that garbage my vote was for Mangini oh wait Donati , no sriously i went with Mangini

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #261 on: November 18, 2010, 06:47:17 PM »
Know what would be awesome? If they hired MP's son as the next drummer. Too bad he's not older.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: November 19, 2010, 01:28:32 AM »
Charlie Zeleny: Did everyone see my DT videos? Everyone seems to really dig them. Going to be a busy New Year to keep things going! www.YouTube.com/DrumDocZ

Huh.

Offline volwrath

« Reply #263 on: November 19, 2010, 08:55:21 AM »
Charlie Zeleny: Did everyone see my DT videos? Everyone seems to really dig them. Going to be a busy New Year to keep things going! www.YouTube.com/DrumDocZ

Huh.

If (and i doubt it) MP was going to come back eventually, session drummer Charlie Z would be a good pick.  His metropolis video is pretty bad ass (coming from a cool non-musician type)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #264 on: November 19, 2010, 10:52:55 AM »
As far as PW is concerned, I don't know if he auditioned or not, but just remember that JLB's solo tour was cancelled because he and Marco Sfogli could not get a work visa on time. I don't think the guys in DT would take the risk of having a drummer being unable to work in the US because of his status as a foreigner.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #265 on: November 19, 2010, 02:39:27 PM »

Huh.

If (and i doubt it) MP was going to come back eventually, session drummer Charlie Z would be a good pick.  His metropolis video is pretty bad ass (coming from a cool non-musician type)
He does seem pretty good. And with the experience that he's got with other genres and bands, it may not be a huge letdown if MP were to come back because he would have other things to go back to.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #266 on: November 19, 2010, 02:59:57 PM »

Huh.

If (and i doubt it) MP was going to come back eventually, session drummer Charlie Z would be a good pick.  His metropolis video is pretty bad ass (coming from a cool non-musician type)
He does seem pretty good. And with the experience that he's got with other genres and bands, it may not be a huge letdown if MP were to come back because he would have other things to go back to.
Quite the contrary in my eyes.  Not only is he already a fantastic drummer, he'd now have the title "Former drummer of Dream Theater" by his name.  He'd definitely find a gig.

EDIT: I hope whoever joins DT is permanent, though.

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #267 on: November 19, 2010, 03:39:31 PM »
I think we can rule out Mark Zonder for sure from the possible replacement list. He posted this on his Twitter / Facebook account:

"OK, as much as I appreciate all of the calls, emails, tweets etc......no, I have not been approached by DT for the drum position. I am thankful for all of your good wishes and nice compliments, but as of now, you guys know as much as I do. I do think it would have been great to at least work on a song and track it with them, but so it goes. Thanks again for the support."

I'm still betting on Thomas Lang.

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #268 on: November 19, 2010, 09:28:05 PM »
There was somebody @ the A7X aftershow (11-15-2010, The Melkweg, Amsterdam) that told MP if he would go and see DT next year live at one their concerts... He said yeah, he would like to see that. Would be very weird for him though.

Offline xeper

« Reply #269 on: November 20, 2010, 12:34:37 AM »

Huh.
Twitter also says the only 3 pages he's following are Labrie, Petrucci, & Rudess. It's fun to speculate.
https://twitter.com/CharlieZDrums

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: November 20, 2010, 12:44:09 AM »

Huh.
He also released some other DT videos around the time MP left in "honor" of him leaving.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: November 20, 2010, 01:30:19 AM »
I've given this a lot of thought and Thomas Lang really seems like the most probable option, in my opinion.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #272 on: November 20, 2010, 05:28:39 AM »
well you've given it alot of thought, so your opinion must be very valid. I'm sorry. You're probably right,  but I really don't want to see Lang in the band. Zero creative flair (I watched "creative control" with my drumming mate, and all the sound tracks he played along too (which he wrote/composed I believe) were rubbish. his playing ideas, however, are worth it if your a drummer). he does have a certain look that could fit dream theater (as a person and his kits alike), but i just can't stand him arghhhh...  and stOrk is mostly... uhh I will just stop myself there. Marco plz kthnx </pointless anxty rant>

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #273 on: November 20, 2010, 06:45:46 AM »
Johnny Mac FTW.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline peruvianskynewhampshire

• I worship bacon,particularly black pepper bacon.Bow to the bacon gods
  • I saw a white light. Shining there before me
« Reply #274 on: November 20, 2010, 07:11:39 AM »
I  am leaning towards mike mangini.  I have seen a couple of his drum clinics and he is truly impressive.  And of course he is from newengland im a little biased. Dont know if he would give up his gig at berkley, but his style fits dt in many ways. Thomas lange is my next choice,truly epic drummer. The waiting is the hardest part. But with such a huge decision to make,you cant rush these things. :metal :metal
life goes by to fast,if you dont stop and take a look around it will pass you by

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: November 20, 2010, 07:33:47 AM »
I think we can rule out Mark Zonder for sure from the possible replacement list. He posted this on his Twitter / Facebook account:

"OK, as much as I appreciate all of the calls, emails, tweets etc......no, I have not been approached by DT for the drum position. I am thankful for all of your good wishes and nice compliments, but as of now, you guys know as much as I do. I do think it would have been great to at least work on a song and track it with them, but so it goes. Thanks again for the support."

I'm still betting on Thomas Lang.

Very disappointing he wasn't at least considered.  I love Zonder and his playing style.  I agree, he probably wasn't the best choice due to his age (I think DT needs someone under 50), but I think he still should've been a candidate.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #276 on: November 20, 2010, 07:36:45 AM »
I'm trying to learn more about Thomas, and so far it seems he's the more prefered option.

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #277 on: November 20, 2010, 07:43:24 AM »
It seems that by the day the list gets shorter..
I agree with you Rina93,it seems that Lang is a good fit and a strong candidate.
I wouldn't rule out Minnemann or Mangini or Macaluso or Donati though.. They are equally impressive as drummers and as personalities.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #278 on: November 20, 2010, 07:47:18 AM »
If TL is picked, he will by far be the coolest member of DT.  Seriously.  He has got the look.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: November 20, 2010, 12:06:35 PM »
well you've given it alot of thought, so your opinion must be very valid.

Um. Yeah, okay. I'd like to refer you to the title of this thread: "Place your bets - DT's new drummer." All I'm doing is placing my 'bet', buddy.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.