23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1057670 times)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #210 on: November 09, 2010, 08:59:30 AM »
Hmmm that facebook post could just be a red herring. 
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #211 on: November 09, 2010, 09:03:17 AM »
With news this big waiting to be revealed, I think it's more like a red halibut.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #212 on: November 09, 2010, 09:13:36 AM »
I would be okay with anyone listed except for Martin Lopez, Pete Wildoer, Gavin Harrison and Kevin Moore (come on that's even not funny anymoore). But I went with Thomas Lang, because I want a plastic chair solo on the next album he seems the most versatile and creative. Plus, he played for Boyzone so he must be awesome.   :hefdaddy

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: November 09, 2010, 09:15:56 AM »
And look Charlie Z has just become friends with:

"Mike von Portman.'" - SUBTLE HINT?! :neverusethis:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #214 on: November 09, 2010, 09:16:44 AM »
With news this big waiting to be revealed, I think it's more like a red halibut.

King Mackerel FTW.  Its high mercury content is obviously contributing to a band-wide "Mad Hatter Syndrome" as it were.  Peter Criss will be their new drummer.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #215 on: November 09, 2010, 09:22:43 AM »
If that's the case, then let me say that I called it.

Still, I'd be kind of let down; but he was the obvious choice.

Edit: Damn, new page already, and apparently, nothing is decided yet.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #216 on: November 09, 2010, 09:27:23 AM »
Marco would probably make GuitarCozmo happiest.

...actually, I believe he's hoping for Stubby Pete.

Peter James Bond or John "Stumpy" Pepys.  Marco would be cool.  Burning Organ is a badass album.  I didn't care for Spaceship One AS much, but I haven't listened to it enough.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #217 on: November 09, 2010, 10:59:13 AM »
Well it couldn't possibly be Charlie as our inside friends confirmed that he didn't try out and I was scolded for being skeptical of the info... ::)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #218 on: November 09, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
The announcement said "Finishing up Northeast Tour this week. Big gig announcement coming. Stay tuned!" Unless DT is planning a tour, meaning the info about that would probably have leaked already, I think this is nothing.

Though I hope.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #219 on: November 09, 2010, 12:17:55 PM »

King Mackerel FTW.  Its high mercury content is obviously contributing to a band-wide "Mad Hatter Syndrome" as it were.  Peter Criss will be their new drummer.

i.e.  Anton Fig will be the new drummer  :P
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #220 on: November 09, 2010, 12:36:48 PM »
:rollin

Online Shadow2222

« Reply #221 on: November 09, 2010, 12:40:38 PM »
Apparently the big gig for Charlie Z was the halftime show at the Giants Stadium on Thanksgiving
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: November 09, 2010, 12:40:45 PM »
So, the big gig announcement was literally a big gig announcement :lol

Playing a Sold Out New Meadowlands Stadium (Giants Stadium) for the Halftime Show of the NY Jets Game on Thanksgiving night with Rock of Ages. Capacity is 80,000+ and show starts at around 9:30pm EST on Thurs Nov 25th 2010. Check local listings!

Edit: Ninja'd

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: November 09, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
The Red Halibut has been caught, cleaned, and cooked.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: November 09, 2010, 12:59:06 PM »
Charlie Z is now officially Facebook's worst cocktease.

Online Shadow2222

« Reply #225 on: November 09, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »
Haha I love cockteases... Wait what?

Anyways, Charlie Z is good but not my first pick
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #226 on: November 09, 2010, 01:10:37 PM »
Charlie Z is now officially Facebook's worst cocktease.
:lol :lol This.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #227 on: November 09, 2010, 02:47:17 PM »

Anton Fig FTW!! :metal He's great on Ace's new album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2010, 04:00:12 PM »
I think it's time for my photoshop again:

"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #229 on: November 09, 2010, 04:48:16 PM »
Herman Rarebell
Keep the dream alive... :tick2:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #230 on: November 09, 2010, 04:48:32 PM »

Oh god yes!!!  Except, he won't tour live. :laugh:  
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline robwebster

« Reply #231 on: November 09, 2010, 05:45:45 PM »
Well it couldn't possibly be Charlie as our inside friends confirmed that he didn't try out and I was scolded for being skeptical of the info... ::)
Don't remember anyone scolding you, but I myself agree with you. Always be cautious of rumours.

That said! Things do get out, and when I start to see rumours gaining a bit of persistence, or especially two independent rumours correlating, I kind of start re-evaluating. But people make stuff up all the time. Often stuff which is obviously false. There's a Doctor Who website out there which seems to insist on coming up with fanwanky bullcrap before each series airs, and calling them "spoilers." Just had a look at it, and one episode summary consists of...

3202 The House of Nothing
215 010511 by Neil Gaiman
aka Zero Coordinates. Rumoured return of the time sensitives, dwarf star alloy, K9 and Romana.

I cannot work out for the life of me what is motivating this person. That's clearly bollocks. I'm not sure if it might even be a practical joke. Neil Gaiman is writing an episode, the rest is total bollocks. Heck, they've even jossed that specific title.

Rumours are to be treated with caution. But that doesn't mean you should automatically disregard them. Stuff does leak, secrets spread, information gets out. And often to the wrong people. It's not too hard to spot which ones have a ring of truth. The list of five, currently, has a couple of sources (I think?) and is not entirely unrealistic. Plus, Stevetheater (the first one to mention it) isn't one to spout out rubbish unmotivated, he's a fairly well known guy in the DT world. I don't know why he'd want to toss out his reputation by making up drivel.

Not saying the rumour is correct, of course. The person he was speaking to may have been wrong. But as far as rumours go, the five out of seven that we're going for is looking pretty believable. But then every rumour wants to be believed.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #232 on: November 09, 2010, 06:54:54 PM »
I call for Dr. Who references to be banned from all forums. There are far too many and I'm completely out of the loop with it :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: November 11, 2010, 06:45:21 PM »
Herman Rarebell
Keep the dream alive... :tick2:

Scorp Theater must happen!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #234 on: November 14, 2010, 10:42:49 PM »
Thinking (and hoping) DT chooses Lang. He seems like a good match musically, and certainly seems dedicated with all of the drum camps, clinics, etc. Love it or hate it, he also seems to be active in online social-networking...something that will be essential for the band moving forward with PR. (Also TL is following the remaining DT members on Twitter.)

Certainly not here to bash on Portnoy, but it is refreshing seeing a drummer like Lang who is dedicated to practice and equipment. I was beginning to hear MP say things like: "I'm not really a gear head..." (or something like that). Also I remember hearing MP making a comment about lax practice methods.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: November 15, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »
I agree, MemoryScenes. In fact, I've always found Portnoy's attitude toward his instrument to be at odds with Myung, who is practicing every time you see him, James, who's done wonders to his voice in recent years and Petrucci and Rudess, who are constantly trying to one-up themselves (and eachother). In sum, I doubt there's much more to Portnoy's attitude than the image he wants to display.

Lately, I've looked at it this way: circa 1998-2003, Mike Portnoy was THE drummer that drummers were talking about. Just listen to his work on FII or Scenes, or the first 2 Transatlantic CDs; In almost every song, you can hear how badly he wanted to keep those drummer awards coming. Around 2005, though, things really started to change. Portnoy was no longer as "in" as much newer guys like Gavin Harrison. I think, judging by some comments made on his own forums and other drum forums around that time that maybe he wasn't really thrilled with the shift in focus away from him. 

That's where Portnoy the "reclusive" drum god steps in. Having had his day in the sun, Portnoy's accepted that there's people on the field now who, quite frankly, can play anything he can play with 1.) a smaller kit and 2.) their eyes closed. Instead of pushing himself to surpass these people, he's dropped out of the competition. That's where stuff like "Eh, I don't really care about my gear," and "I almost never practice" comes in. I'm sure he still practices, but he's not "competing" anymore.

In fact, Portnoy likely always practices. He's constantly touring and playing in the studio. Some of his drumming on Nightmare is way different than what we've ever heard him do before. We have videos of him on Youtube opening up "new gear," talking about gear, and practicing with his son.

But he's simply not competing anymore. He's not overplaying. You can tell by listening that he doesn't care if his performance gets him a "best drummer" award from a magazine anymore. That's the important distinction we need to make.

Offline floppa

« Reply #236 on: November 15, 2010, 01:35:28 AM »
Been lurking for a while, just seeing what the next move for DT will be drummer wise. And a lot of great names are being thrown out there. I honestly have not heard of a few, but enjoyed the youtube's of them that have been posted here.

I really question though why someone like Aaron Harris from ISIS has not been mentioned or even contemplated by DT themselves? ISIS no longer exists, they broke up this summer, and Aaron has such a unique sound (like friend Dany Carey), I just personally feel like he really should considered.

Not like I have a say or anything...LOL. Would also love to see Lopez, but that would never happen, and Akerfelds studio frustration with him in the end makes him a liability. Out of the list I guess I would say Lang.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: November 15, 2010, 01:39:19 AM »
Not like I have a say or anything...LOL. Would also love to see Lopez, but that would never happen, and Akerfelds studio frustration with him in the end makes him a liability.

Dude, explain?

Offline floppa

« Reply #238 on: November 15, 2010, 01:51:02 AM »
Not like I have a say or anything...LOL. Would also love to see Lopez, but that would never happen, and Akerfelds studio frustration with him in the end makes him a liability.

Dude, explain?

I believe Akerfeldt explained it in detail during the making of the "Watershed" DVD (or it was talked about in the Watershed diaries on the opeth website). He was talking about how Martin Axenrot was a machine when recording all the drumming tracks. He then went into a detail on how it was difficult getting Lopez motivated to record his drum tracks. Especially during Ghost Reveries, how he kind of had to handle Lopez with kid gloves. It was a huge frustration of his.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #239 on: November 15, 2010, 03:35:50 AM »

Dude, explain?

I believe Akerfeldt explained it in detail during the making of the "Watershed" DVD (or it was talked about in the Watershed diaries on the opeth website). He was talking about how Martin Axenrot was a machine when recording all the drumming tracks. He then went into a detail on how it was difficult getting Lopez motivated to record his drum tracks. Especially during Ghost Reveries, how he kind of had to handle Lopez with kid gloves. It was a huge frustration of his.
Also, as mentioned on the Ghost Reveries Making of-DVD, he couldn't handle the stress of touring. So I have NO idea why anyone would ever seriously consider him as Portnoy's replacement...
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: November 15, 2010, 03:40:07 AM »
Oh, wow. I always just thought he was sick. Had no idea he was in a mentally fragile state.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #241 on: November 15, 2010, 03:44:10 AM »
No way Lopez can be the replacement, ever. Although I really like his style. Like a lot.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline mentalny

• Croatia DT fan
« Reply #242 on: November 15, 2010, 12:16:33 PM »
Vote for Mangini, my choice and realistic opinion. I simply connect him with DT and period .
Let the light surround you !

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: November 16, 2010, 01:35:44 PM »
Mike Mangini gets my vote, I loved him playing with Steve Vai, but seriously I still believe this is only a casual gig because Mike will be back sooner rather than later.  :smiley:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: November 16, 2010, 02:27:18 PM »
Just a question, is it possible that DT have auditioned unknown drummers?  Or have they stated they are all well known drummers.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.