23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1057206 times)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #140 on: November 02, 2010, 09:12:58 AM »
I hear what you are saying Dream Team, and to an extent I feel the same regarding the musicality of Mike's playing.  It's top notch awareness of what the song is doing.

The difference is, I'm trying to stay positive about it because the new drummer could possibly write even better parts!  We just don't know yet.  So I'm going to give this new (obviously will be talented) drummer the benefit of the doubt and say they will be able to create brilliant parts for the songs as well.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #141 on: November 02, 2010, 02:31:04 PM »
This band needs more of this:

Fixed that for ya.

:lol

I hope they'll announce the new guy soon. At least I guess it'll be a guy...
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #142 on: November 02, 2010, 02:37:24 PM »
If whoever the new drummer is plays Pearl or Yamaha, I will never listen to DT again.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #143 on: November 02, 2010, 02:51:06 PM »
While all of these drummers would be fantastic at it in one way or the other, I'm really hoping for Mike Mangini. I also feel like John Petrucci would do growls/metal vocals if they were to continue using them as he did them on The Glass Prison. I really hope Jordan takes up some of the backing vocal duties as well.

1.  DT has never had growling in any song.
2.  JP did not do the backup vocals on The Glass Prison; Portnoy did.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline LTE

« Reply #144 on: November 02, 2010, 05:30:33 PM »
If whoever the new drummer is plays Pearl or Yamaha, I will never listen to DT again.

Yamaha endorsed drummers:

Steve Gadd
Dave Weckl
Billy Cobham
Akira Jimbo

We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2010, 07:40:14 PM »
Kevin Moore, obviously.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2010, 07:44:20 PM »
I'm "glad" Kevin Moore and Zombie Mike Portnoy are both in the top six.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2010, 08:24:04 PM »
I think that Mike Mangini would be the perfect fit. He seems to be a very nice guy.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2010, 04:00:07 AM »

why is that?

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2010, 04:27:40 AM »
While all of these drummers would be fantastic at it in one way or the other, I'm really hoping for Mike Mangini. I also feel like John Petrucci would do growls/metal vocals if they were to continue using them as he did them on The Glass Prison. I really hope Jordan takes up some of the backing vocal duties as well.

1.  DT has never had growling in any song.
2.  JP did not do the backup vocals on The Glass Prison; Portnoy did.

John Petrucci did agressive vocals on The Glass Prison live at least. Watch the Gigantour dvd. During the Enter the Door section, it goes Mike,James, John.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2010, 06:45:40 AM »
I think that Mike Mangini would be the perfect fit. He seems to be a very nice guy.

Manginis drumming style would fit very well. He kinda reminds me of Derek Sherinian in a way haha (looks/personality wise(this is a good thing!)).

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2010, 07:22:55 AM »

why is that?

:facepalm:

Offline jeebustrain

• King of Disappointment
  • EZBoard Elder
  • suck it
« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2010, 07:58:47 AM »

why is that?

:facepalm:

He doesn't want to have to go out and buy new drums, duh...

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2010, 08:42:32 AM »
ummmm ok so DT must really be struggling to make a decision on who the drummer ought to be. Its been weeks(?) since they had done the auditions. What are they doing? I know that Rudess is probably a bit preoccupied with explorations, and that this is also their recovery time from touring. However, If they sat down for like a couple of hours with the audition tapes and recordings, even over several days, they could easily come to a comfortable conclusion. Could they have wanted to audition additional drummers (apart from the seven)? maybe i'm too impatient!

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2010, 08:43:54 AM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2010, 08:48:59 AM »
maybe i'm too impatient!

Bingo.

I can understand where he's coming from.  I'm getting pretty impatient about this too!

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2010, 08:55:54 AM »
yeah man I can't wait to find out who the new drummer is!!!  I'm on the edge of my seat.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2010, 09:29:40 AM »
Yeah I'm excited too, but it's such a big decision for the band that I can understand them taking a while to decide. There must be so many aspects to think about.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2010, 10:48:55 AM »
Interesting read on JP's forum. I quote Masterplan :
"
"I heard from a friend of one of the band that Virgil was one of the seven, but is not the chosen guy. :("

I don't know if it's true, but if it is, we have one less drummer.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
Interesting read on JP's forum. I quote Masterplan :
"
"I heard from a friend of one of the band that Virgil was one of the seven, but is not the chosen guy. :("

I don't know if it's true, but if it is, we have one less drummer.

B.Lee

If this is true, I don't know whether to be relieved or shattered! a drumming sensation, but on the other hand, maybe not a wise edition for the band stylistically.

At least theres still hope for minnemann! hehe
maybe i'm too impatient!

Bingo.
LOL I really did hit the nail on the head there, didn't I?

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #161 on: November 04, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
My money is on Thomas Lang, it's not a matter of playing ability as, Virgil, Marco, Thomas, Mike M. are all true virtuosos on the drums any of them can surely play all the DT catalog. The thing is, from what I've read, seen from Thomas Lang on interviews, videos etc. I think he's personality fits incredibly well with the rest of the DT guys, very music oriented, yet at the same time he is a great show man. Plus he, just like Virgil is a drummer's drummer and that brings a lot of credibility. On the musical side... if you guys have not checked out he's band StOrk, please do, you will not be sorry.

PS. on a curious note... I just noticed he is now following James, John and Jordan on Twitter...

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #162 on: November 04, 2010, 03:53:49 PM »
My money is on Thomas Lang, it's not a matter of playing ability as, Virgil, Marco, Thomas, Mike M. are all true virtuosos on the drums any of them can surely play all the DT catalog. The thing is, from what I've read, seen from Thomas Lang on interviews, videos etc. I think he's personality fits incredibly well with the rest of the DT guys, very music oriented, yet at the same time he is a great show man. Plus he, just like Virgil is a drummer's drummer and that brings a lot of credibility. On the musical side... if you guys have not checked out he's band StOrk, please do, you will not be sorry.

PS. on a curious note... I just noticed he is now following James, John and Jordan on Twitter...
I think he has been following those 3 on twitter before the whole thing went down, but I could be wrong
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline robwebster

« Reply #163 on: November 04, 2010, 07:27:05 PM »
Just searched "Peter Wildoer" on twitter, trying to find out if he has a twitter page...

Only two tweets. One of which says "apa kabar Mike Mangini, Virgil Donati, Bobby Jarzombek, Terry Bozzio, Peter Wildoer, Thomas Lang sama Marco Minnemann?"

I don't speak indonesian very well, but that's seven different names, sans Charlie Z who Stevetheater insisted wasn't one of the seven, plus Bobby Jarzombek who I've seen speculated, but haven't yet seen confidently listed among the seven.

Obviously, this is some complete stranger halfway across the world from the United States - I doubt he has any first hand information, but it's a list I haven't seen, and which ties in fairly comfortably with previous rumours. Sounds feasable as a list of auditionees.

In a vacuum I'd call bull, and it's a hollow reference, but it kinda fits neatly enough with the other stuff we've heard that I'd give it more credence than your standard anonymous, contentless list.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: November 04, 2010, 07:30:06 PM »
You sure he's the real guy?  I mean, he's Swedish, not Indonesian.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #165 on: November 04, 2010, 07:38:53 PM »
Oh. No, it's not Peter Wildoer. It's some Indonesian stranger. I mean Pete only had two mentions, and no twitter page that I could find.

I was just posting it 'cause it's a new list, and one that matches old rumours.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:53:15 PM by robwebster »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #166 on: November 04, 2010, 09:03:11 PM »
The tweet sounds more like a question.  The guy is probably just speculating.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2010, 09:06:06 PM »
Oh okay.  If Charlie Z really isn't in there, then go Marco!

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2010, 10:20:26 PM »
Just searched "Peter Wildoer" on twitter, trying to find out if he has a twitter page...

Only two tweets. One of which says "apa kabar Mike Mangini, Virgil Donati, Bobby Jarzombek, Terry Bozzio, Peter Wildoer, Thomas Lang sama Marco Minnemann?"

According to a translator: That means: How Are You doing Mike Mangini, Virgil Donati, Bobby Jarzombek, Terry Bozzio, Peter Wildoer, Thomas Lang, Marco Minnemann, same?

Also, when I googled Bobby Jarzombek, google suggested 'Bobby Jarzombek Dream Theater'
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Ħ

« Reply #169 on: November 04, 2010, 10:47:04 PM »
It does the same for Neil Peart!  :omg:
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #170 on: November 04, 2010, 11:04:46 PM »
It does the same for Neil Peart!  :omg:
Not for me it doesn't
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #171 on: November 05, 2010, 01:01:05 AM »

Just some guy speculating. As much as I wish it wasn't so, Bobby Jarzombek
was on a South American tour at the time they were holding the auditions.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #172 on: November 05, 2010, 02:56:58 AM »

Just some guy speculating. As much as I wish it wasn't so, Bobby Jarzombek
was on a South American tour at the time they were holding the auditions.

Yeah, unfortunately, you're right. I would have liked to see BJ in DT. What a blast it would have been!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #173 on: November 05, 2010, 06:07:12 AM »
I still suspect that they already know who the new guy is.  I am sure there are legalities and contracts/conditions to be agree upon and worked out.  Plus, the guys have to hit the tanning booths, get cool new metal clothes, and fix their hair for the press release photo of the "New and improved, extra strength" Dream Theater.

I am voting for Marco.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #174 on: November 05, 2010, 08:24:56 AM »
I still suspect that they already know who the new guy is.  I am sure there are legalities and contracts/conditions to be agree upon and worked out.  Plus, the guys have to hit the tanning booths, get cool new metal clothes, and fix their hair for the press release photo of the "New and improved, extra strength" Dream Theater.

I am voting for Marco.

You're probably right about all the legal things.
While MM's playing is really great, i don't find him much of an entertainer. I'd rather have Lang to fill MP's spot.

B.Lee