23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1057903 times)

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2010, 12:51:56 AM »
While all of these drummers would be fantastic at it in one way or the other, I'm really hoping for Mike Mangini. I also feel like John Petrucci would do growls/metal vocals if they were to continue using them as he did them on The Glass Prison. I really hope Jordan takes up some of the backing vocal duties as well.

Offline LTE777

« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2010, 01:00:27 AM »
While all of these drummers would be fantastic at it in one way or the other, I'm really hoping for Mike Mangini. I also feel like John Petrucci would do growls/metal vocals if they were to continue using them as he did them on The Glass Prison. I really hope Jordan takes up some of the backing vocal duties as well.

I think James would do a great job singing all Mikes parts but putting a new twist on them/maybe deviate from the album/sing with a new melody?

Might be cool, just my two cents.....oh go Donati, Mangini & Lang, no one else would really fit on all fronts!

Offline Loser1

« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2010, 03:09:09 PM »
Terry Bozzio hands down. Why vote for anyone else when Bozzio is quite possibly the best drummer, ever.

Offline The Awesome

« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2010, 03:30:01 PM »
Terry Bozzio hands down. Why vote for anyone else when Bozzio is quite possibly the best drummer, ever.

Bozzio is an amazing player, but Thomas Lang is an android from the planet Drum.

Offline TL

« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2010, 09:41:05 PM »
The more I see of his playing, the more I hope it's Thomas Lang.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2010, 09:42:49 PM »

Because he'd be akward in DT without DT changing their style completely.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2010, 03:08:18 AM »
Marco Minnemann anyone? He would fit perfectly. I had a chat about this with a friend of mine, an absolute drumming nut! and we both agreed he is absolutely superior for the position. He has the creativity that Lang lacks, and a more coherent (at least in relation to DTs music) drumming style than the always complicated Virgil (I wouldn't mind Virgil, but the creative side of him lies with complicated jazz/metal fusion-esque rudiments). He also has a name out there for himself, a great friendly personality, and serious chops to boot! I am going to say right now if the guys have a head on their shoulder, they WILL pick him, 100%, mark my words!. Just check him out a couple of his vids on the tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SS_4SfG0Fo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1nk-Ws5UBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wTVQQ7fb7o

Offline Ice9ine

« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2010, 05:09:41 AM »
Marco Minnemann anyone? He would fit perfectly. I had a chat about this with a friend of mine, an absolute drumming nut! and we both agreed he is absolutely superior for the position. He has the creativity that Lang lacks, and a more coherent (at least in relation to DTs music) drumming style than the always complicated Virgil (I wouldn't mind Virgil, but the creative side of him lies with complicated jazz/metal fusion-esque rudiments). He also has a name out there for himself, a great friendly personality, and serious chops to boot! I am going to say right now if the guys have a head on their shoulder, they WILL pick him, 100%, mark my words!. Just check him out a couple of his vids on the tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SS_4SfG0Fo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1nk-Ws5UBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wTVQQ7fb7o

You are right, this man is VERY good. One thing concerns me and that is his image. i am not saying choose image over talent either, we know the quality of the 7 drummers, howver it must play a part. he just doesnt look, well...cool enough for DT. All due repect, but he looks a bit goofy at times...and yes, he is an incredible drummer, no denying. Thomas Lang I think looks more like a image of dream Theater imo and he has a stupid amount of tech also. I mean no disrepect to Marco either, I just think image has a part to play as well.
I crossed the crooked step.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2010, 05:15:08 AM »
No offence, but I don't think that your point has any value in the decision at all. I mean, DT chose Derek as their keyboardist despite having short hair, using lava lamps on stage and stuff (but as far as it goes, we only know MP's stance about it). Looks should matter, of all things, the least, and I don't think that DT would think much different about it.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Ice9ine

« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2010, 05:47:53 AM »
No offence, but I don't think that your point has any value in the decision at all. I mean, DT chose Derek as their keyboardist despite having short hair, using lava lamps on stage and stuff (but as far as it goes, we only know MP's stance about it). Looks should matter, of all things, the least, and I don't think that DT would think much different about it.

No offence either, but you sort of contradicted yourself just there. Firstly you make the comment that looks has no value in the decision at all, yet later you say looks do matter but not a priority. My comment was saying just that mate. Marco is an incredible drummer which I stated, and he doesnt look overly cool imo. I was really just talking from my opinion on what image 'I' would like to see of DT, not so much what decision they will ultimatley go with. If there were two drummers left to choose from both of equal talent and committment, I personally would like to see Dream Theater go with the most presentable person and in this example I dont think that person is Marco in comparision with some of the other 6 (if the list is at all correct). Just clarifying my point thats all :)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2010, 05:53:30 AM »
Image matters?

Is Jordan NOT a member of the band or something?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:02:59 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Ice9ine

« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2010, 06:03:05 AM »
Ok, so if JP looked like a skinny, pimple ridden, coke bottle glasses nerd with a a bowl hair cut you'd be cool with that?

I dont buy it.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2010, 06:11:14 AM »
Ok, so if JP looked like a skinny, pimple ridden, coke bottle glasses nerd with a a bowl hair cut you'd be cool with that?

I dont buy it.

I wouldn't want anyone to look that way. And, in fact, I never have met any adult who looks like that. So while I hear your question, it's completely out of the scope of what I'd consider a "reasonable scenario," and since the fact that DT would chose one guy over the other based on looks is completely off-base too, you posing a silly question like that just verfies my gut-feeling that people who think DT are going to go want a certain "look" from their new drummer are not being realistic given what we know about the guys. Besides, aside from John P, all the guys could kinda use some work on their image if that's what they're really care about (inb4 all asians look teh same).

DT's always been about the music. The image has always been secondary, and I honestly can't think of a time where the guys from DT tried to look cool and actually succeeded. I really don't get how a DT fan could care about the band's image. But I'm sad that apparently, some do. If that weren't the case, we'd get promo shots of the guys like we did during Scenes-8va, instead of the Hot-Topic look from Black Clouds.

Offline Ice9ine

« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2010, 06:18:12 AM »
I wouldn't want anyone to look that way. And, in fact, I never have met any adult who looks like that.

I am still laughing out loud at that lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2010, 06:27:09 AM »
Just for shits and giggle, I decided to see if this guy would really be that bad for DT's image.

With him:

Yeah, I suck at this kind of thing BUT ANYWAY I really don't see what the big deal is. The band doesn't look any cooler or less cool with him around them.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:34:36 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2010, 06:33:37 AM »
Jordan is a keyboard hawtie <3. and f***ing LOL solid effort^^^^^^^^

One other thing: consider the following two pages from Wiki (yeah yeah I know):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Minnemann
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Lang
Differences? credentials? hmmmmm....
I'm just gonna put it out there, but am I the only person who think Lang is overrated? I'm impressed by his technical ability, been blown away by him fluttering away over the toms and cymbals whilst playing several hundred pedals at once whilst bustin out some dope stick tricks, but that's about it. He's too much of a drummers drummer, and less of a bands drummer. DT need a fresh source of creativity and expertise on the table to fill the void of Portnoy. This is why I think #1 Marco Minnemann =D. Oh, some more vids of Marco proving himself a worthy candidate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67-GUacp-x4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LljL8ymUQ-c
(btw I'm not necessarily a Marco fanboy LOL. I also belive Mangini is more or less in the same ball park. still... moneys on Marco 100%)

^^^^edit: just noticed most rated comment in youtube vid with paul gilbert. TEH PPLZ HAZ SPOKUN =D

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2010, 06:35:45 AM »
lol, i tried to fix it some...

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2010, 06:47:21 AM »
Mad skillz PC.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2010, 06:59:12 AM »
This thread needs more of this:
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Online nikatapi

« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2010, 08:18:11 AM »
This thread needs more of this:
*image*

Completely agree. I don't see many people wanting Donati as the new drummer, but i really hope he gets the job.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2010, 10:17:55 AM »
Completely agree. I don't see many people wanting Donati as the new drummer, but i really hope he gets the job.

Actually he's doing quite well in this poll. And how many people actually know
that he's played in a DT cover band in the 90s? He'd be a great choice IMO,
especially since he's also a very interesting composer (he wrote most of the
Planet X material, the last album all by himself even!) and DT's writing could
use some fresh ideas. So he'd be more than just a capable session drummer.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2010, 10:31:30 AM »
I'd be OK with Donati.  From a purely technical/musical perspective, I can't imagine that too many people would have an issue with him.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2010, 10:43:23 AM »
How will the band reveal the new drummer? Via twitter? Facebook? Blabbermouth garbage? Their official site? Youtube video?
I'm curious.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2010, 10:47:41 AM »
I'd be OK with Donati.  From a purely technical/musical perspective, I can't imagine that too many people would have an issue with him.

Especially once they've actually seen him play - case in point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-zWYmmn2ec#t=02m09s

If they pick him, his solo spot on the tour is sure to bring the house down.  :lol

Online Mladen

« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2010, 12:53:10 PM »
I've been talking that I'd be happy with any drummer, since I'm familiar with pretty much none of these guys. But if there's one thing I wish, it's that the new drummer ain't 50 years old. Lets be realistic, with music like this, it will become a problem in about 5 years minimum.

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2010, 04:51:11 PM »
Oh my god when are they going to announce!?!?!? The suspense is killing me!

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2010, 07:11:37 PM »
Marco has just the right amount of goofy (I dont always take myself so serious vibe) about him that just makes me feel that he would fit great.

Donati seems like a great fit too.  However, Virgil gives me the "too famous" vibe and strikes me as the type that wouldnt stay around for too long by his choice.

Lang strikes me as simply over-technical, if thats possible.

Watch, it'll end up being Wildoer LOL!

As far as announcing it, they would likely use a press release and simultaneous website, twitter, facebook, announcement.  Maybe a picture of the band with the new guy rather than just a pic of the guy.  A new BAND pic would really send a unity vibe to all of the DT fans.

The new guy has already been selected.  They are probably just signing contracts and lining up the ducks.  I'll bet that they wait until Thanksgiving time.  That will give fans the holiday season to get excited until we start getting studio updates from the guys in january 2011.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2010, 07:29:43 PM »
I just thought of something.  What if they are recording a new song that they'll reveal during the announcement, showcasing the new drummer?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline robwebster

« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2010, 07:32:38 PM »
Marco has just the right amount of goofy (I dont always take myself so serious vibe) about him that just makes me feel that he would fit great.

Donati seems like a great fit too.  However, Virgil gives me the "too famous" vibe and strikes me as the type that wouldnt stay around for too long by his choice.

Lang strikes me as simply over-technical, if thats possible.

Watch, it'll end up being Wildoer LOL!

I'd agree with much of this.

My one doubt about Lang is that he's almost too precise. Regardless of what their critics say, there's more to DT than just the technical side, and I'm not sure he has quite as much soul as Mike did. Definitely one of the singularly most qualified drummers knocking about, though, and while it wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets the job, it's my one minor doubt.

Virgil I'd agree is too famous. He's a fairly big name, and I imagine that he'd have a lot of other stuff on his schedule. Would be fantastic if it were possible, but I don't see him as being among the most likely candidates, as he's probably got the most stuff going on outside of the band. Not that being Dream Theater's drummer precludes a hefty number of sideprojects.

And I agree that Marco Minnemann's potentially a seriously good fit. Can see him being the dark horse.

Still feel like Charlie Zeleny's a sound candidate, in spite of the rumours that he's not among the seven. They seem to come from a very confident source, but nonetheless, I can't imagine one of Jordan Rudess's friends with such a degree of technical prowess, and such a respect for the DT back catalogue wouldn't have entered the frame at some point or another - even if he may have had to turn down auditions.

Don't disagree that Wildoer's capable, but his back-catalogue is somewhat more straight-up metal than a lot of the other candidates. Not entirely convinced I know how versatile he is, which is why I'm kind of keeping him to the sidelines. Out of the five rumoured to be auditioning, I'd probably call him the least probable.

I just thought of something.  What if they are recording a new song that they'll reveal during the announcement, showcasing the new drummer?
That would be fantastic. And not entirely impossible. John Petrucci said that he was writing some music on twitter a few weeks ago, didn't he? And he'd finished writing for his solo album at that point, so who knows what that might've been for!

I'd say it's definitely unlikely, but it's not outside the realms of plausibility, and I'd love to see it happen.

Offline Ice9ine

« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2010, 09:13:39 PM »

I hope not and I dont think they will. It will take all the anticipation and build up from the new album away. It would almost be anti-climactic to have the name of the new drummer, plus hear him in a new song/instrumental at the same time.

If the new drummer was announced tomorrow, two months will go very quickly with interview, press releases, photo shoots etc and they will be in the studio before they know it come January. The build up to actually hear this drummers input will be enormous and the hype around the new album will be fever pitch come mid year.

I dont want to hear a sneak peek of the guy as much as I would love too. Id rather wait a year for the full album if need be.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2010, 09:22:10 PM »
Ice is right. Good man.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2010, 10:08:14 PM »
This band needs more of this:

Fixed that for ya.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2010, 12:15:23 AM »

I hope not and I dont think they will. It will take all the anticipation and build up from the new album away. It would almost be anti-climactic to have the name of the new drummer, plus hear him in a new song/instrumental at the same time.

Yeah, that might be overkill...unless DT released the song before releasing the name of the drummer.  That would have us speculating like crazy!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline j

« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2010, 12:19:56 AM »
^Good lord, that would be insane. :lol  I wonder how many people would be able to correctly identify the drummer just by hearing him play.

As a musical retard, I have trouble picking out drum nuances that other people here seem able to appreciate.  I sure as hell couldn't identify a particular drummer just by his "style".

-J

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #139 on: November 02, 2010, 09:07:40 AM »
Listened to some of my favorite DT songs this morning, paying particular attention to the drums . . . I just don't see how in hell the new drummer will be able to write and think up rhythms and parts as awesome and catchy as the stuff Mike has done, no matter who they are. Mike just had a real knack for it, especially on the first 6 albums. It's one thing for someone to replicate the back catalog live, it's quite another to think up and write your own great stuff. That being said, I'm sure the new drummer will impress but I just doubt it will surpass what has already been done drum-wise in this band.