Author Topic: Biblical Historicity  (Read 19347 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Biblical Historicity
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2010, 11:58:10 AM »
This is saying, that the right people at the right time were in the right place moved by the will of God to make sure the Bible people had then and have today is the same unchanging word of God.

That is indeed fine if that's your stance, but one comment:
This is of course a nowhere-to-be-verified assumption. Meaning, you stake your life on the hope that whoever copied the manuscripts (and there were many in the chain of copying) were all moved by God to make the right additions/deletions/translations. And mind you, this includes the translation into English that you see today. Your argument inevitably has to extend through 2,000 years of processing the Bible.
With that in mind, looking at how many pious people do nasty and wrong things in the name of God, I can't see how this is a rock-solid assumption to stand on.
Also, where was the "right move" when Luke and Matthew couldn't agree on Jesus' age? How much credence can one give to the nativity narration when Luke or Matthew couldn't decide whether Jesus was 30 or 40? In fact, how much credence can you give to a supposed eyewitness account anyway with that kind of discrepancy of age?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2010, 12:56:15 PM »
Actually there are plenty of books and historians who HAVE historically validated the existance of a man named Jesus for which the Bible speaks about.

No there aren't.  There are plenty of books written by people passing themselves off as historians who desperately want the NT to be literally true, but the first non-gospel sources that mention Jesus are those of Tacitus and Pliny the Elder, both of whom existed after Jesus alleged life and wrote based on hearsay.

There is historical evidence for Paul, Peter, Matthew, Luke, Mark, John, etc who all wrote letters and books about Christ.

There is plenty written about these people, yes. However, the gospels again were written quite some time after Jesus death, in different countries and in Greek. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, if they were who they say they are, would most likely have been speakers of Aramaic and illiterate - literacy at that time in the population is estimated at around 10%, mostly occupying Roman forces and officials, Jewish clerics and a few other dignitaries.  In a subsistence economy, your average itinerant worker isn't going to be able to write or speak Greek.
Paul is more interesting - it is thought that he studied under the well known Pharisee teacher Gamaliel in Jerusalem and would in all likelihood have been able to speak and write Greek as well as Aramaic and possibly Hebrew too.  What is more interesting is his portrayal of Jesus according to his own take on how the evolving sects of proto-Christianity should be.  The same can be said of the authors of the gospels, but Paul's writings, contradictory though they may be, are accepted as being legitimate as in being Paul's actual words, but as he never met Jesus and outright contradicted some of his teachings, it is difficult to even use these to get an accurate picture of what Jesus may have been like.

. Million dollar question is, why can't these letters be taken as historical documents that tell of a real man named Jesus?

see above

There are also Roman letters which collaberate Christ's execution.

Nope.  See Tacitus and Pliny...

what I am saying is that I call foul when it comes to people taking the New Testament letters and dismissing them outright but accepting documents older than these as historically accurate. That is we will believe in documents that tell of an Emperor named Pontius Pilate but we won't believe in documents that tell of a man named Jesus Christ.

Age doesn't have any bearing on historicity.

Pontius Pilate was the governor of the Judea area, not the Emperor, although you could say he acted in the Emperor's name.

The main problem is the authorship of the gospels (and the non-canonical ones too), and the fact that the gospels and Paul all focus on contradictory aspects of the Jesus story, saying what the authors wanted their immediate sect-followers to believe rather than what may have been true.  Thay may give us clues, but there's nothing that stands up as primary evidence re Jesus.

As far as I'm concerned, there may well have been a guy called Y'shua bin Youssef, who was later referred to as Jesus, but there isn't a great deal to back any of it up.

Christianity hinges solely on Christ's resurrection. If Jesus didn't rise from the dead he din't defeat death. If he didn't defeat death he didn't demosntrate his power above sin

yup

If Jesus is not more powerful than sin then what we believe is for nought.

Why?... Isn't the message of morality more relevant in the 21st century than some hocus-pocus about resurrection?  Dead people don't come back.

This is why we believe in the historicity of the bible. It says Jesus defeated death and came back to life. Ergo he defeated death and came back to life. Let's get back to the topic people.

Nope.  Jesus said that that he would return and bring the kingdom of heaven on Earth in the disciples own lifetime.  He didn't, and it didn't happen.. hence the shift in theology in the gospel of John written around 90-100CE long after John snuffed it.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2010, 12:57:41 PM »
Just a comment on why the four gospels are so different; They were written to different groups of people.

Matthew:  Written to Jews who were familiar with the Law of Moses and the Old Testament.  He was trying to persuade the Jews that Jesus was the Messiah.

Mark: Probably written to the Romans because he had to explain Jewish traditions and customs that they would not be familiar with.

Luke: Was written to a believer. Luke 1:4 "so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught."  

John: Was written to the non-Jew non-believers.  John 20:31, "these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name."  Which is probably why you feel like you're being sold something when you read it, Rumborak.

Anyone giving a speech must know their audience, and as such, with 4 different audiences, there would be 4 different "speeches".  We also don't know whether the events that are not in sequential order across the books are the same events or just similar events.  We do know that not all the events are recorded across all the books.

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2010, 01:10:51 PM »
Also this idea that something was "fluffed" seems a bit pointed to me. That is as if the scribe took the document and went "no no no! Let's take this character out and let's re-write this story here and put this here." as if he were brought in to liven things up. I cannot for a second believe that's how scribes looked at documents and worked on them. I take them a bit more seriously than that. In my mind what is added or changed would be like an artist trying to "restore" a work of art or sculpture. If parts of the document were lost then what "should" have been there according to the author not according to the scribe. This is all conjucture by the way but it makes the most sense to me over the idea that Scribes "invented" stuff in order to make it "better". I guess anything is possible, but this just seems something out of a Dan Brown novel to me than actual history.

There have been literally thousands of amendments, both major and minor from the original texts as time went on.  Some of these would have been accidental, some on purpose to reflect changes in belief and to portray what the scribe at the time wanted to say.  Let's not forget that much of the gospel stories would have passed between communities via oral tradition, and we all know how the telephone game works, so it is only natural that there will be a low fidelity rate here as they are passed on.  It's alos worth remembering that there were no printing presses at this time and any hard copies wre done slowly and laboriously by hand.  The fidelity may have been better in this case, but it doesn't stop errors, omissions and additions being made accidentally or unscrupulously.

A great text on this topic is Bart D. Ehrman's 'Misquoting Jesus' - probably the most readable book on it that I've come across.  Well worth a read!

Offline Vivace

« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2010, 01:57:54 PM »
^^^ please see my reply above to this as I have already covered your opinion on the matter.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Vivace

« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2010, 02:12:34 PM »
This is of course a nowhere-to-be-verified assumption.
Of course not. That's why there is faith.

Meaning, you stake your life on the hope that whoever copied the manuscripts (and there were many in the chain of copying) were all moved by God to make the right additions/deletions/translations.
No, I'm staking my faith in God in moving the human intellect in the right direction.

And mind you, this includes the translation into English that you see today. Your argument inevitably has to extend through 2,000 years of processing the Bible.

Naturally.

With that in mind, looking at how many pious people do nasty and wrong things in the name of God, I can't see how this is a rock-solid assumption to stand on.
Since when can a human act destroy the credibility of God? My assumption is based on faith. Man cannot destroy this. Human acts in all places including among those who do not believe in God only serve to discredit humanity, not God. A Christian doing something "un" Christian is a human being being... well... human. Imperfection in the human condition does not make God imperfect it only cements the need for the perfection of God and shows you that these people who committed these acts were not acting in the light of perfection but in the mind of a human being.

Also, where was the "right move" when Luke and Matthew couldn't agree on Jesus' age?
Is the age of Christ a crux that would give you faith in God? Seems a bit thin don't you think ;)

How much credence can one give to the nativity narration when Luke or Matthew couldn't decide whether Jesus was 30 or 40? In fact, how much credence can you give to a supposed eyewitness account anyway with that kind of discrepancy of age?

Again, how does a discrepancy of age destroy Christian dogma? The only thing it does is show that Luke thinks Christ was one age and Matt think it was another. Does this mean Christ didn't walk on water or rise from the dead? Does this mean that Christian cannot be taken seriously because two people couldn't agree on an age? Should my faith be shaken by something of this magnitude? As I stated before, if a person takes the age of Christ to be a crux that will cause him to no longer have faith, that person "never" possessed true faith in God in the first place. It was misplaced in humanity. Why do you think the passage in Exodus of the Golden Calf exists? It's there to tell you that if you place your faith in that which has no meaning except in a human sense, then your faith has failed you. Much the same can be said about Dawkin's FPM. I'm surprised he even fronted the idea. When you base your faith on an object that has absolutely no human except that which is based on human senses alone then you never had faith in the true divine. I give credence to the authors of Luke because I believe in their experience with the Divine not in their human senses.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2010, 02:18:53 PM »
^^^ please see my reply above to this as I have already covered your opinion on the matter.

Yes, the review by the butthurt fundie is good for a laugh.  Not what you'd call an impartial academic opinion though, eh?  ;)

As for biblical inerrancy, you'd think that as the resurrection is central to their theology, and that the event itself would have been the most important moment of each of their lives, bearing in mind that they were supposedly there at the time... that there would be a little more continuity in their accounts, wouldn't you? Sadly not....

Jesus’ First Resurrection Appearance

Mark 16:14-15 - Jesus appears to Mary Magdalena but it’s not clear where (in older endings of Mark, he didn’t appear at all)
Matthew 28:8-9 - Jesus first appears near his tomb
Luke 24:13-15 - Jesus first appears near Emmaus, several miles from Jerusalem
John 20:13-14 - Jesus first appears at his tomb

Who Sees Jesus First?:

Mark - Jesus appears first to Mary Magdalena then later to “the eleven”
Matthew - Jesus appears first to Mary Magdalena, then to the other Mary, and finally to ”the eleven”
Luke - Jesus appears first to “two,” then to Simon, then to “the eleven”
John - Jesus appears first to Mary Magdalena, then the disciples without Thomas, then the disciples with Thomas

But yes.... 'faith'...... etc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2010, 02:30:38 PM »
Odysseus, I'll try to find time to respond to some of your other nonsense later, but knock stuff like this off:

Yes, the review by the butthurt fundie is good for a laugh.  Not what you'd call an impartial academic opinion though, eh? 

If you can't follow the forum rules and engage in civilized discussion, don't post.

rumborak, just out of curiosity, where does your claim come from that Matthew and Luke have different ages for Jesus?  I've heard lots of claims about so-called contradictions in the gospels before, but I must confess, that's a new one on me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2010, 02:33:11 PM »
This thread is a great read..I am enjoying reading it.. you all are very knowledgable..fascinating and making me think..so thank you!!!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2010, 02:54:33 PM »
rumborak, just out of curiosity, where does your claim come from that Matthew and Luke have different ages for Jesus?  I've heard lots of claims about so-called contradictions in the gospels before, but I must confess, that's a new one on me.
I believe he is talking about the difference in possible dates of Jesus's birth as given in Matthew in Luke (at least a 10-year difference).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2010, 02:59:07 PM »
Again, how does a discrepancy of age destroy Christian dogma? The only thing it does is show that Luke thinks Christ was one age and Matt think it was another. Does this mean Christ didn't walk on water or rise from the dead?

Yeah, it might very well mean that.
The issue isn't whether they're just a bit off in their recollection about how old they thought Jesus was when they met. The issue is that they both explain in detail what purportedly happened at birth, Luke claiming Joseph and Mary went to Nazareth due to the census of Quirinius, Matthew saying the family returned from Nazareth after the death of Herod.

So, at least one of the gospel writers simply made stuff up. And if you're telling me that isn't an issue for Christian dogma, I don't know what else would be.

rumborak

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2010, 03:01:28 PM »
rumborak, just out of curiosity, where does your claim come from that Matthew and Luke have different ages for Jesus?  I've heard lots of claims about so-called contradictions in the gospels before, but I must confess, that's a new one on me.

The claims of Jesus' nativity lie at least 10 years apart between Matthew and Luke. I fail to see how an eyewitness to a 30-year old man doesn't know in what year approximately that man was born.

rumborak

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2010, 03:10:02 PM »

The claims of Jesus' nativity lie at least 10 years apart between Matthew and Luke. I fail to see how an eyewitness to a 30-year old man doesn't know in what year approximately that man was born.

rumborak

But where are you getting that from?  What I'm saying is I have never heard that the gospels supposedly describe him as two different ages, and having read both of them many times, I don't know what passages in them you are referring to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2010, 03:11:35 PM »
Matthew claims Jesus was born during the reign of King Herod the Great, who died in 4 B.C.E.  Luke claims Jesus was born in Bethlehem due to Mary and Joseph traveling there for the census of Quirinius, which was conducted in 6 C.E.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2010, 03:20:16 PM »
But where are you getting that from?  What I'm saying is I have never heard that the gospels supposedly describe him as two different ages, and having read both of them many times, I don't know what passages in them you are referring to.

Well, if both people met the same man at the same time, but then the two place his birthday 10 years apart, isn't that the same as saying they disagree on his age?
BTW, I'm not actually saying that. I'm saying that the nativity, at least the details, is most likely fiction.

rumborak

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2010, 03:22:09 PM »
Iirc, scholars tend to side with Matthew on the date of Jesus' birth.  Although it still doesn't give us a clear date like Luke does.  Probably somewhere between 7 and 4 B.C.E.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
Well, if both people met the same man at the same time, but then the two place his birthday 10 years apart, isn't that the same as saying they disagree on his age?

Okay, but again, please cite to me where you are getting the information that you believe Matthew and Luke describe him as being different ages.

Matthew claims Jesus was born during the reign of King Herod the Great, who died in 4 B.C.E.  Luke claims Jesus was born in Bethlehem due to Mary and Joseph traveling there for the census of Quirinius, which was conducted in 6 C.E.

I don't think your dates are correct.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2010, 03:50:57 PM »
Yeah, they are.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2010, 03:54:29 PM »
Oh, well why didn't you say so?  My bad.  Let me take a quick look at those sources you provided in response to my several requests for source material, and--oh, wait.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2010, 04:18:58 PM »
The mentions of Herod in Matthew need no source, they're well known.  The consensus is that he died in 4 B.C.E., likely from some sort of kidney-related disease.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herod_the_Great#Death

1In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world.
2(This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.)
3And everyone went to his own town to register.

4So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David.
5He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child.
6While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born,
7and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

Luke 2:1-7

But the census of Quirinius was conducted in 6/7 C.E.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census_of_Quirinius

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2010, 04:30:09 PM »
Thanks, GP.  (I'm still waiting for rumborak's sources because I still can't tell from his posts what he is referring to if it is something different than what you cited)  As I understand it, while there is some potential wiggle room regarding the end of Herod's reign, that date is pretty much agreed upon.  

But as far as the census, yes, Josephus records a census that we believe was in 6/7 A.D.  But (1) his dating of that census is a bit less certain, and more importantly (2) we do not know for certain whether that census is the same one referred to by Luke.  That, to me, appears to be where the argument for the 10-year discrepancy falls apart.  

While Matthew is a bit fuzzy on chronology at times and isn't always focused on presenting a strict chronology, he is specific enough about mentioning certain events under Herod's reign that I think it is safe to say he was being literal and specific.  Luke is also very literal and specific in describing his events, and is very meticulous about those details.  Given when those books were written, it is not really reasonable to assume they would not have been careful about the events they were writing about because if they were "fudging" on the linking of events in Jesus' life to other well-known events, they were close enough in time to those events that they could easily have been called on the carpet.  To me, it appears the most likely explanation is that Luke is referring to a different census (or Josephus got his dates wrong).  I'm sure other plausiable explanations exist as well, but this is the most likely of ones I've seen.  

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2010, 04:45:54 PM »
Thanks, GP.  (I'm still waiting for rumborak's sources because I still can't tell from his posts what he is referring to if it is something different than what you cited)

I don't understand what more I'm supposed to provide. I believe everybody in this thread has put the pieces together that two people who can't agree on the birthday of a person can also not agree on the age of that person.

But as far as the census, yes, Josephus records a census that we believe was in 6/7 A.D.  But (1) his dating of that census is a bit less certain, and more importantly (2) we do not know for certain whether that census is the same one referred to by Luke.

Bosk, I don't understand the point of your smokescreening, other than making you feel better about the Bible. Quirinius was appointed governor of Syria after Herod was banished. No matter how you want to twist it, Quirinius can not have issued a census during Herod's time.

rumborak

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2010, 04:52:50 PM »
Thanks, GP.  (I'm still waiting for rumborak's sources because I still can't tell from his posts what he is referring to if it is something different than what you cited)

I don't understand what more I'm supposed to provide. I believe everybody in this thread has put the pieces together that two people who can't agree on the birthday of a person can also not agree on the age of that person.

You are saying the Bible provides two different ages for Jesus.  Where does it say that?  I have never seen any such passages, which leads me to the conclusion that either (1) I am mistaken, or (2) you are mistaken.  I cannot tell which unless you tell me which passages you are referring to.  To put it another way, you are saying "the Bible says X."  My question is, "where in the Bible does it say that?"  

Bosk, I don't understand the point of your smokescreening, other than making you feel better about the Bible. Quirinius was appointed governor of Syria after Herod was banished. No matter how you want to twist it, Quirinius can not have issued a census during Herod's time.

???  Why not?  Luke was obviously writing after Quirinius was governor, so he likely would have referred to Quirinius as governor whether he was talking about events that happened before, during, or after the governorship.  Quirinius had a government assignment in Syria between 12 B.C. to 2 B.C.  Why do you assume he was not involved in a census during that time period?  I mean, other than making yourself feel better about your attacks on the accuracy of the Bible.  :)

EDIT:  If your argument rests solely on these facts, it is not a good historically-based argument.  This is not a personal shot, but that's just not how you examine historical events.  If a historical document records a very common event like a census, of which there were many during this time period, and does so with specificity, you don't look at another historical document that refers to one of many censuses and declare "contradiction!" simply because the dates do not match.  Stopping there is just sloppy work that a good historian would not do.  You have to dig a bit deeper and see whether or not the accounts are reconcileable.  Again back to this example, Josephus records a particular census.  Okay.  Luke records one.  Okay.  If the dates do not match, there is no reason to assume they are referrig to the same census since, again, a census was a common occurrence. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:03:38 PM by bösk1 »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2010, 05:01:03 PM »
so he likely would have referred to Quirinius as governor whether he was talking about events that happened before, during, or after the governorship.

Not sure in what world, bosk. Can't remember the last time I read that the Obama administration started the Iraq war.

Also, maybe you need a refresher of the wording:

Luke 2:17 - In those days a decree went out from Emperor Augustus that all the world should be registered. This was the first registration and was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria

I feel it's appropriate to quote myself:
The Protestant churches, at least some, seem to be stuck in a race against each other of who can dislodge their common sense the most in order to look the most pious.

rumborak

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2010, 05:11:30 PM »
Oh, well why didn't you say so?  My bad.  Let me take a quick look at those sources you provided in response to my several requests for source material, and--oh, wait.

Bosk, he's talking about Luke's mention of Quirinius. What he refuses to believe is that there was another census. There is actually evidence for it.

Actually there are plenty of books and historians who HAVE historically validated the existance of a man named Jesus for which the Bible speaks about.

No there aren't.  There are plenty of books written by people passing themselves off as historians who desperately want the NT to be literally true, but the first non-gospel sources that mention Jesus are those of Tacitus and Pliny the Elder, both of whom existed after Jesus alleged life and wrote based on hearsay.
[/quote]

I suggest you go and ask a first century historian. They'll usually remain agnostic and say that we can't verify that christ was God but they wont deny the existance of a man named Jesus who died and then something mysteriously happened to his body.

There is historical evidence for Paul, Peter, Matthew, Luke, Mark, John, etc who all wrote letters and books about Christ.

There is plenty written about these people, yes. However, the gospels again were written quite some time after Jesus death, in different countries and in Greek. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, if they were who they say they are, would most likely have been speakers of Aramaic and illiterate - literacy at that time in the population is estimated at around 10%, mostly occupying Roman forces and officials, Jewish clerics and a few other dignitaries.  In a subsistence economy, your average itinerant worker isn't going to be able to write or speak Greek.
Paul is more interesting - it is thought that he studied under the well known Pharisee teacher Gamaliel in Jerusalem and would in all likelihood have been able to speak and write Greek as well as Aramaic and possibly Hebrew too.  What is more interesting is his portrayal of Jesus according to his own take on how the evolving sects of proto-Christianity should be.  The same can be said of the authors of the gospels, but Paul's writings, contradictory though they may be, are accepted as being legitimate as in being Paul's actual words, but as he never met Jesus and outright contradicted some of his teachings, it is difficult to even use these to get an accurate picture of what Jesus may have been like.

Let's examine this claim.
Mark - Scribe. He had been trained to record and write stuff down as a vocation. Peter didn't need to be brilliantly eloquent in greek to give Mark the stuff he did.
Matthew - Tax Collector. Would've needed to be literate and understand greek which was the common tongue of the time. look up "koinonia greek"
Luke - Doctor of medicine. He knew greek just from being a doctor. If you actually look at Luke/Acts you can see how Luke preserved the original language styles of the people who talked. You can actually see how Peter fumbles around with his greek and Paul is better but not alot :P
John. I dunno what his occupation was. I reckon he was fairly smart though. He actually 'invented' grammar and distorted old grammar in writing for the purpose of his text so he must've had a decent enough understanding.

Like I said; Greek was the common tongue. People in the area had been speaking it for the last couple of centuries. Peter wasn't very good with it, so he got someone who was to write what he said.

Again 20-50 years is not "quite some time" it's one generation at it's longest.

I'd like to see your references for where Paul contradicts Jesus.

. Million dollar question is, why can't these letters be taken as historical documents that tell of a real man named Jesus?

see above
be a dove
 There are also Roman letters which collaberate Christ's execution.

Nope.  See Tacitus and Pliny...

where exactly?

what I am saying is that I call foul when it comes to people taking the New Testament letters and dismissing them outright but accepting documents older than these as historically accurate. That is we will believe in documents that tell of an Emperor named Pontius Pilate but we won't believe in documents that tell of a man named Jesus Christ.

Age doesn't have any bearing on historicity.

however manuscript attestation does.

Pontius Pilate was the governor of the Judea area, not the Emperor, although you could say he acted in the Emperor's name.

true i think he made a typo booboo

The main problem is the authorship of the gospels (and the non-canonical ones too), and the fact that the gospels and Paul all focus on contradictory aspects of the Jesus story, saying what the authors wanted their immediate sect-followers to believe rather than what may have been true.  Thay may give us clues, but there's nothing that stands up as primary evidence re Jesus.

As far as I'm concerned, there may well have been a guy called Y'shua bin Youssef, who was later referred to as Jesus, but there isn't a great deal to back any of it up.

Where do Paul and te gospels contradict each other?

Christianity hinges solely on Christ's resurrection. If Jesus didn't rise from the dead he din't defeat death. If he didn't defeat death he didn't demosntrate his power above sin

yup

If Jesus is not more powerful than sin then what we believe is for nought.

Why?... Isn't the message of morality more relevant in the 21st century than some hocus-pocus about resurrection?  Dead people don't come back.

Nope. Jesus teachings that he was God were inseparable from his ministry. He himself said that he would destroy the temple then rebuild it 3 days later.

This is why we believe in the historicity of the bible. It says Jesus defeated death and came back to life. Ergo he defeated death and came back to life. Let's get back to the topic people.

Nope.  Jesus said that that he would return and bring the kingdom of heaven on Earth in the disciples own lifetime.  He didn't, and it didn't happen.. hence the shift in theology in the gospel of John written around 90-100CE long after John snuffed it.

that was just before he ascended and he was talking figuratively
and the Gospel was written alot closer to or even before 70 AD. As the latest of the gospels. There had been a rumour that Jesus would come back before John died but that didn't affect the theology of John....

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:18:52 PM by Philawallafox »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2010, 05:13:31 PM »
so he likely would have referred to Quirinius as governor whether he was talking about events that happened before, during, or after the governorship.

Not sure in what world, bosk. Can't remember the last time I read that the Obama administration started the Iraq war.

I think you misunderstand.  When we're writing about something after the fact, we of course often refer to them though a present-tense lens.  For example, if I were writing a book about Ronald Reagan and I discussed him meeting Nancy for the first time, I might say something like, "And when President Reagan first met Nancy, ..."  Of course he wasn't literally the president at the moment he met Nancy.  That doesn't make the description inaccurate.  In fact, it is more common than not that in writing about government officials, we use their titles, whether they held the title at the time of the event we are describing or not.  How many times after 2000 have you heard the media refer to "President Bill Clinton," or "Former President Bill Clinton?"  Both are commonly used, and that is a convention that predated English.

Also, maybe you need a refresher of the wording:

Luke 2:17 - In those days a decree went out from Emperor Augustus that all the world should be registered. This was the first registration and was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria

I feel it's appropriate to quote myself:
The Protestant churches, at least some, seem to be stuck in a race against each other of who can dislodge their common sense the most in order to look the most pious.

rumborak

Not sure what translation you are using, but many translate that passage:  "This was the registration before..."  And those that do not usually have a footnote pointing out that the Greek is susceptible to either meaning.  No real reason to assume one or the other is correct unless one has an agenda for doing so.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2010, 05:15:29 PM »
a lot of stuff

Okay, dude, I'm not trying to pick on you, and I know it can be difficult, but you really NEED to use the quote feature properly, especially with a post that long with so many parts.  Following whose arguments are whose is too difficult if you don't.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2010, 05:18:32 PM »
Not sure what translation you are using, but many translate that passage:  "This was the registration before..."

NIV: "This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria"
Luther: "und geschah zu der Zeit, da Cyrenius Landpfleger von Syrien war" ("during which Cyenius...")
New International Version (UK): "This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria"

What "special" Bible are you reading, Bosk?

Also, I'm not sure what part of "Augustus" in Luke 2 can be misunderstood. Augustus, not Herod.

rumborak

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2010, 05:19:44 PM »
Sorry bosk, i'm trying. the quoting function is different on MP.com so i'm learning this way. I'll get there :(

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2010, 05:26:15 PM »
Not sure what translation you are using, but many translate that passage:  "This was the registration before..."

NIV: "This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria"
Luther: "und geschah zu der Zeit, da Cyrenius Landpfleger von Syrien war" ("during which Cyenius...")
New International Version (UK): "This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria"

rumborak

I have the ESV which is a word for word translation (the NIV is thought for thought) and it says that the sentence could be translated as the census before because of the ambiguity before.

Not only that but Quirinius was one of Caesar's consuls in the area before what Josephus tells us. Luke sometimes uses the term generally.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2010, 05:29:22 PM »

Also, I'm not sure what part of "Augustus" in Luke 2 can be misunderstood. Augustus, not Herod.

rumborak

No "special" Bible.  But most publishers include a footnote to verse 2 that reads something like (the one I am quoting is from https://esv.scripturetext.com/luke/2.htm):  "a 2 Or This was the registration before"

EDIT:  Interesting.  I just went to the NIV page of the same site, and the NIV doesn't list that footnote.  I'll have to check my hard copy at home.  Not sure why some translations list the footnote and others don't (or if it is just certain publishers; not sure).  

???  Herod is mentioned in Matthew, not Luke.  I'm not following you.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2010, 05:36:11 PM »
No "special" Bible.  But most publishers include a footnote to verse 2 that reads something like (the one I am quoting is from https://esv.scripturetext.com/luke/2.htm):  "a 2 Or This was the registration before"

Bosk, why don't you just check yourself before you make these kinds of statements:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke%202:2&version=NKJV

and flip through the different versions. Your ESV is the only one that says it could mean "before". I mean, man, wouldn't you think every version of the Bible would say "before" if it could actually mean that and make this inconsistency disappear? Wouldn't you think Luther would have translated it as "before" if it could actually mean that?

??? Did you by this point forget that the point of this discussion is the comparison between Luke's placement of Jesus' birthday and Matthew's? Matthew says it happened during Herod's time, Luke says during Augustus' time.

rumborak
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:41:33 PM by rumborak »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2010, 05:45:43 PM »
Bosk, you're a pretty smart guy, and usually very level-headed. Maybe it's time to reevaluate your stance on whether one should take the Bible literally in all cases.

rumborak

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2010, 05:50:03 PM »

Bosk, why don't you just check yourself before you make these kinds of statements:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke%202:2&version=NKJV

and flip through the different versions. Your ESV is the only one that says it could mean "before".

Because my default translation that I use nowadays is the ESV.  As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm not sure why some publishers include the footnote and others don't.  I'll have to check the publishers' notes in a few Bibles when I get home because I have no idea what the answer is.  

??? Did you by this point forget that the point of this discussion is the comparison between Luke's placement of Jesus' birthday and Matthew's? Matthew says it happened during Herod's time, Luke says during Augustus' time.

rumborak

Yes, but the passage we are discussing in Luke does not discuss Herod, so you lost me when you brought him back up.  What's the connection?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2010, 05:53:51 PM »
Now you're stalling. You don't need to read some special editors' notes, you're sitting in front of the internet, I just gave you a link that enumerated about 20 different translations, 19 of which said unambiguously the same thing. And you know very well why I brought up Herod, because it's the other point in time of Jesus' birthday we're discussing.

Either way, I'm off to a MadMen theme Halloween party!

rumborak