Author Topic: Biblical Historicity  (Read 19343 times)

Offline Odysseus

Re: Biblical Historicity
« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2010, 02:39:46 PM »
First of all, you seem more interested in disproving Biblical claims to infallible inspiration.

Classic projection.  Start with what can be proven within reason and work forward to reach your conclusion.  It isn't academically acceptable to start with your conclusion and work backwards, like I said before.

There are answers to all those things you brought up, but the issue we are talking about is historicity--did the historical events happen?

Yes, and one of the strands of this historicity is the question of authenticity with regard to whether the alleged authors of the gospels actually wrote them themselves, was it passed down via oral tradition and then written down, was it made up by unrelated parties, or what?  All feed in to the larger topic of historicity.

With all historical sources, especially ancient ones, you would not expect absolute uniformity in the details.  You are judging the Biblical accounts on a higher level than any other historical source.  That's unfair.

Untrue.  The texts are supposedly the accounts of the authors themselves, yet the content differs in the simplest af facts, despite the assertion that they were
 a) allegedly there witnessing those events described and
 b) allegedly the authors of their accounts.
Biblical texts need to be subjected to the same scrutiny as any other claim of literal historicity.  Special pleading is no longer acceptable.

If I expected absolute uniformity then there would be no need for 4 gospels right?  There is a reason that there are 4 gospels.

Let me quote Blomberg, since he's already been brought up in this thread.

Blomberg's position is loaded towards his prior beliefs. He's sought out for book material by creationists. "The Bible is correct therefore the Bible is correct".  Bog-standard tautology.

To say that the discrepencies invalidate their authenticity is beyond me.

I don't doubt that for a minute.

It's funny how some of you claim that the gospels originated from passed down oral tradition, and some of you claim that the gospels originated from a single written source that spread out.  Two completely opposite things.

I can't speak for Rumborak, but I'm not making any claims.  We know we don't know.  We don't have the evidence to support literalism.  The jury is still out after nearly 2000 years and it looks like remaining that way.  There isn't enough to make any definite conclusions, so religious claims of inerrancy and absolute historical truth are unfounded.

The notion is that four guys that followed around a person named Jesus, and later recorded four biographies as independent sources from their own individual perspective, perhaps using the others for reference occasionally, is the most likely scenario that fits snugly into the information that we know.

If they used each others for reference then you'd think there would be a lot more continuity - the gospels are choc-full of discrepancies - the ones I posted are just about the resurrection story.
The proof-reader needs shooting! ;-)
As far as I can tell, the 4 gospels chosen as canon were chosen because they represent what the individual schools of thought wanted to say about their views concerning the character and background and theology of Jesus - some emphasised his Jewishness, some wanted to emphasise a new start as a result of Jesus' ministry, some want to emphasise his divinity etc etc.  In this thread we are discussing historicity of the new testament texts, not the theology or doctrine that followed it, though of course they will be related.  Those topics really deserve their own threads IMO rather than cramming them here amongst this lot.
I'd be wary of trying to find things that 'fit in snugly' personally.  Go with what is knowable and move forward from that if you genuinely desire historical truth.

There was Squabbling because Arius exposed his heresy by calling another priest a heretic. That combined with him being very good at reducing complex doctrines into fortune cookie statements made his movement strong with the common people.

i'm not saying that Christian thought dropped into place overnight. I'm just saying that after 312 we went from trying to survive and not really having alot of time to put too much thought into theology outside of "we're not evil, please stop killing us" to "ok we can breathe now, let's figure out what the bible actually says"

Cool. Yes, it is certainly a hell of an interesting period to study, and this thread, including much of your posting, has spurred me to get back into it some more.  I thank you for that! The whole Arian vs Nicene period was quite a farce in some ways, and quite intriguing in others!

As for Paedophilia, I'm not denying that the Roman church (I don't think it's as popular among protestants) has weaknesses but The Roman church at least recognises it as Amoral. The greeks celebrated Paedophilia. or at least weren't ashamed of it.

Yeah. The blot on the landscape here is the issue of us imposing a 21st century wordview onto late antiquity and the whole idea of cultural imperialism.  I'm not disagreeing with you as such, we need to look at it through the eyes of the times, but not necessarily to try and justify it, OR  indeed to condemn it with our own moral outlook.  There are cultures that still exist in remote places where girls become mothers very young as a matter of course because that is the way they have always lived - in a subsistence society where the need to grow up quick is part of the cultural make-up.  Can we be that judgemental? I dunno.  It's a thorny problem that has no real right or wrong answer independent of the cultural context.  That said, I haven't looked that fully into the whole Greek penchant for youngsters - I know it went on, but I need to try and understand what was going on there a bit more....

Well, There's no point keeping stuff that's heresy. If it's a lie why give it a megaphone with canonisation?

But that raises the question of what indeed IS heresy and who gets to decide.  During early christianity, what passed as heresy was changed and changed again with monotonous regularity.  Some of the accounts of the bishops' manoeuvring and skullduggery with regard to the manipulation and reinterpretation of heresy for personal gain and imperial prestige just beggars belief!

argh. The doctrine of the trinity is confusing enough without having to trace the History of it. Is it alright if we stick to 1+1+1=1?

Haha. Ain't that the truth!  But.... the history of it is important if we are to understand how the Nicene and Arian positions reached a sort of compromise, no?  That's the sort of thing that interests me, but it ain't for everyone I guess...

Arius actually preached that "once the son was not" This is of course not what the bible says so his teaching became anathema. I'm not sure what sort of creative exegesis there is involved in coming to that conclusion.

Well the problem for the original Nicene formula was exactly that - lack of scriptural backing.  So the Cappadocian fathers came up with some sort of halfway house regarding the replacement of the term homooussios (identical substance) with the term homoioussios (similar substance) which, with a bit of imperial prodding, kept more people happy... for a while anyway...

1 - I'm sorry, I have little regard for critical scholars. Instead of looking for the theological unity of the text, they try to find disunities and construct theologies from that. I think that it was written close enough to John's lifetime that tere doesn't need to be any reason to doubt that he wrote it. people who date it later will usually have an ulterior motive for that.
2- this is why we look for the oldest manuscripts we can find, then we compare and contrast them with the manuscripts that we have. I think you'll find that Christian manuscripts have been more accurately copied than any other manuscripts out there from that general milieu
3 - My NT lecturer says that the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rules of biblical interpretation read thus: The Bible interprets itself he's a smart guy He has a Doctorate in physics and a Masters in theology. Wasn't always a Christian either. I don't think you'll find him cramming what the bible says into a pre existing idea. If he did he'd have stayed a non christian don't you think?
4 - The reason I don't regard your sources very highly is that they do exactly what you're accusing me of. They're reading the bible assuming something beforehand and lo and behold they're finding exactly what they're looking for.

1 - sounds like projection again, as mentioned earlier. Most scholars worth their salt want truth, not comfort.  The stories don't need to be literally true in order to contain metaphorical truth, and I don't think anyone wants to destroy the morality of the stories.  Too many people have far too much invested in literal truth IMO, hence the ongoing arguments...

2 - yes, older manuscripts are more likely to have a higher fidelity level IMO.  There have still been additions and omissions along the way though.  

3 - I'm sure he is a smart guy.  I'm not entirely sure what he means by 'interprets itself' though.  If he means that you read the stories to get metaphorical truths and an understanding of human nature in general. as well as a feel for theological outlook during the period then I totally agree.
I don't see how this relates to biblical historicity as such though....
You don't need literal belief to be a christian.  There are thousands of christian sects who believe different things or have small, medium or large differences in what they think is true.  Some christians don't believe in god, some don't even need to believe that Jesus really existed - they just have an agreement with the general ethical practices and outlook supposedly espoused by Jesus in the bible.  For some, it's a tip of the hat to clan loyalty or a pleasant way to spend a sunday morning.  The bog-standard fundie response to this is - "Well, they're not christians then!"  Well.... who gets to decide who is or is not a christian, and what does the fundie hope to gain by trying to take this away from someone who wants to lead a good life?  I'm not aiming this at you personally, but it makes me cringe sometimes....

4 - Not so, mate.  I already said that you get assholes on both sides who just want to wave their own flag and both sides deserve to get pilloried for their lack of integrity.
It would appear that you're saying that unless a theologian gives you the answer that you are looking for then you will dismiss them out of hand, irrespective of their findings?  I hope not, but that's your business and not mine.

Personally I have no vested interest in proving or disproving biblical historicity.  If something happened that proved beyond reasonable doubt something the bible says, I say fine and dandy.
I'm just interested in what can be proven true. I'm not really interested in baseless conjecture and wish-thinking.  I don't think that my outlook is unreasonable.

Bloody hell... that was a long one! :-0

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #141 on: November 04, 2010, 10:17:56 PM »
Ok. First i'd like to apologise. I'm currently studying for exams and the stuff we're talking about was last semester lol. Is it alright with you if i finish my exams and then get back to you on this? I'm gonna bookmark this thread in my browser.

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2010, 06:03:41 PM »
First of all:

Jeepers our posts are getting long. I'm gonna go point for quote to try to reduce length. So please bear with me.

1/
I wouldn't say that it isn't academically responsible for work backwards from a point as there has to be a point where fundamentals are formed. (I know not much to do with the topic but still lol) then we work backwards from those fundamentals.

2/
Well First of all a strong argument for reliability of oral tradition can be made (at least back in the day). It may not lead to getting quotes exactly right but they had ways of remembering things really well back then. Secondly, those scribes that wrote and copied the OT got it right. They just did. they went to extreme lengths to get that exactly right. Thirdly, The NT started as Oral tradition with alot of creeds but because it spread so quickly they had to get it down on paper so that they weren't stretched too thin.

3/
a/ John was an Eyewitness, Mark was an eyewitnesses scribe, Matthew was an eyewitness and Luke had umpteen sources, some eyewitnesses, some not.

b/They are applied the same scrutiny. More than most because they have such a high profile. Unfortunately the Scholars which you're so happy to cite that look for the historical Jesus are applying the same flawed academic principle that you so harshly criticised by assuming that the bible doesn't portray the historical Jesus. (how many of them dispute the historical Julius Caesar by the way, I think that'd be interesting)

4/
I dunno who Blomberg is but "The Bible is right because the bible is right" isn't...you know...bad. If the Bible is right then of course the Bible is right.

5/
Well snap lol. It escapes me how you can claim that the gospels are so horribly discrepent that they can't possibly be right when most of the examples you cited were so weak. Yes there were a few in there that were good examples but still...Most of them were unimportant...

6/
Actually the Jury's only been out for a few hundred years. If that It was abut the 17th century when deism really emerged and that was not long before peolpe started doubting the accuracy of the bible. Up to that point there was no doubt that the bible was accurate.

7/
They didn't all cross reference precisely...The other gospel writers knew of Mark and Luke (I think) used it keeping it's accuracy. In the mean time they had different sources and different focuses. I like your idea about creating a new thread to discuss the different focusses of the four gospels.

8/ (we're up to my stuff now if you lost track)
Well thankyou. I'll have to have a look at my own lecture notes on the period as well...If I can ever find them again...I just moved house and haven't unpacked properly yet. Yes it's been a busy time for me :P

9/
Unfortunately when men are left to their own devices and gods of their own creation immoral activities appear and become mainstream. Also, The greeks fancied boys. This wasn't about getting women pregnant (though the bible's Mary was only having her voice change so that's what..14-16 years old?) They were actually throwing babies out. People are outraged by late term abortions...This is giving birth to the baby then leaving it in the street to die. So I can't agree with you about the need to populate either...This is what the Christian polemicists were speaking out against. This was 2nd century AD.

10/
I'm pretty sure there wasn't much flip flopping with regards to Heresy. Yes there were back room meetings and People like Athanasius weren't exactly stellar citizens sometimes, but they cared about the bible. Though now I think about it there were a few things that did seem to go back and forth. can't remember them though...not off my head's top. The big things though. Divinity of Jesus, Trinity, Homousion/homoiusion were (while struggled through) set.

11/
Oh I love the history of the doctrine of the Trinity (backflip on myself? Why thankyou, I think I will :P exams are over now :P) it's just...hard to separate from the doctrine of christ and a few other things in history...they all sort of flowed out of the other...and then you've got outstanding thinkers who struggled to figure it out and...it's just convoluted...you know? i'll happy go round by round with you but we should save that for another thread  ;)

12/Ok before we go anywhere by "Nicene formula" do you mean the Nicene creed? Sorry I get confused about which creed came from Which council. I thought The Apostles creed came from 312 Nicea and then there was another one later that century which came up with the Nicene creed and they named it anachronistically...I'm probably wrong..i'm pretty tired at the moment lol.

13/
i) What moral truth is gained by a man dying on a cross?
ii) I know that (Br)osephus is likely to have been changed by a monk at a later day but I'm pretty sure the earliest biblical manuscripts weren't edited. We can go back to about 92AD in a letter from one of the Fathers to a church (Clement of Rome to the Corinthians) Which quotes and refers to a bunch of the NT texts and stuff which is the same as what we have today.
iiia) He means that If you find something you can't understand likelihood is that it's a reference or there is some corollary event somewhere else in the bible.
iiib) Christianity is the belief that Jesus died for the sins of the world as an act of penal substitutionary re-atonement. Those people who don't believe this are not Christian, they are... I dunno..followers of a Jesuine (making this word up...I dunno what it should look like) philosophy? The title "Christ" is in itself definitive.
iv)I'm discerning with what I take in. If a "theologian" makes a claim that is ridiculous and not biblical then i'll try to find the value in what he does say before I dismiss him. If what he says has no value then I will dismiss him outright. I take what people say with a grain of salt, if you will.
I'm not going to dismiss anyone for saying something I disagree with. I will however dismiss them for saying something that is wrong. for example: first semester this year i did an essay on Mark(15:37-39). One guy made an argument that The Centurion confessed Jesus as the Son of God because he saw the temple currtain tear, which was why there is the quick Jesus-temple-Jesus flick..thing...lol. Anyway, I dismissed him out of hand and pummeled his argument for sheer stupidity. The reason why? a/ The Temple curtain was inside the temple, b/ the temple doors faced the other way and c/ Golgotha was outside the city walls, the centurion wouldn't have been able to see the curtain be torn
This is the type of scholarship I disregard.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2010, 09:04:01 AM »
2/
Well First of all a strong argument for reliability of oral tradition can be made (at least back in the day). It may not lead to getting quotes exactly right but they had ways of remembering things really well back then. Secondly, those scribes that wrote and copied the OT got it right. They just did. they went to extreme lengths to get that exactly right.

Yeah, but that's the major difference between the OT and the NT. Copying the OT, i.e. the Tora, was in the hands of special clerics, people trained in copying it. Copying the NT was done in households by "enthusiasts" who often didn't even speak the language they were copying that well and thus made errors left and right. If the quality of copying was really as high as you assert, there would be no way the spread of different gospels we observe.

a/ John was an Eyewitness, Mark was an eyewitnesses scribe, Matthew was an eyewitness and Luke had umpteen sources, some eyewitnesses, some not.

That's really just wishful thinking than anything else, phil. You have to distinguish between "tradition", i.e. what the CC asserted hundreds of years ago as "canonical truth", and what is actually there as evidence. There is very little hard evidence that any of the gospels were directly written by eyewitnesses.

I dunno who Blomberg is but "The Bible is right because the bible is right" isn't...you know...bad. If the Bible is right then of course the Bible is right.

You know, many Christians have a more discerning view of the Bible, that it is both right and wrong. Just at different spots.

Actually the Jury's only been out for a few hundred years. If that It was abut the 17th century when deism really emerged and that was not long before peolpe started doubting the accuracy of the bible. Up to that point there was no doubt that the bible was accurate.

Up to the 17th century, nobody was in the position to question the Bible. First of all, heresy was met with death, simple as that. Second of all, the Bible was read in Latin vulgate, which nobody actually understood but the clerics who read them. Thirdly, Enlightenment had to come around for people to apply reason to these matters.
I think it's pretty obvious that only now are we rediscovering the criticism and spread of interpretation of the Bible that very early Christianity saw, and saw with good reason, because nothing was as clear-cut as the CC forced it to be soon-after.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2010, 09:12:18 AM »
Yeah, but that's the major difference between the OT and the NT. Copying the OT, i.e. the Tora, was in the hands of special clerics, people trained in copying it. Copying the NT was done in households by "enthusiasts" who often didn't even speak the language they were copying that well and thus made errors left and right. If the quality of copying was really as high as you assert, there would be no way the spread of different gospels we observe.
Why's that?  Supposing they believed that Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John should all be considered the word of God, as the epistles assert, then I don't see why they would be opposed to copying each and every one of them.

Thirdly, The NT started as Oral tradition with alot of creeds but because it spread so quickly they had to get it down on paper so that they weren't stretched too thin.
That's a plausible theory, and it fits, but we don't really have any evidence that demands it.  That's just an idea.

There is very little hard evidence that any of the gospels were directly written by eyewitnesses.
While the evidence for the authenticity of the gospels might not be as strong as you'd like it, the evidence that they weren't written by eyewitnesses is even weaker.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2010, 09:49:48 AM »
Why's that?  Supposing they believed that Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John should all be considered the word of God, as the epistles assert, then I don't see why they would be opposed to copying each and every one of them.

Again, how do you explain then the massively diverging gospel fragments in existence? Either the copyists didn't see the need to be 100% exact in their copying, or they were incompetent.

There is very little hard evidence that any of the gospels were directly written by eyewitnesses.
While the evidence for the authenticity of the gospels might not be as strong as you'd like it, the evidence that they weren't written by eyewitnesses is even weaker.

What I'm saying is, I am sure somewhere in the chain there was an eyewitness. But I don't think the authors of the gospels themselves were. Especially John was not.

rumborak

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2010, 09:57:59 AM »
How do you figure?  Given all of the inconsistencies and contradictions, there isn't really ANY evidence from the texts that ANY of the gospels were written by eyewitnesses.  Certainly none of them claim to be, and I'm not sure what other evidence there could be for such a claim.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2010, 02:42:43 PM »
Researchers are convinced Luke was a follower of Paul. Whether he was a witness to Christ is still up for grabs. I don't think research has provided us with any of the Gospel writers as actual eyewitnesses to the life of Christ, but again, this should not be an obstacle to faith in what is written in the Bible.

Again, how do you explain then the massively diverging gospel fragments in existence? Either the copyists didn't see the need to be 100% exact in their copying, or they were incompetent.

As noted before, changes are going to be made and for the most part they were made to battle heresy. If you have a passage that talks about Christ as being Divine and being human and you have a heresy that denies the human element, ammending the text to drive the point of two natures doesn't distort the message. The message was distorted with the heresy. Whether or not a statement is heretical seems a bit illogical but the arguments against the heresies were certainly nothing arbitrary as certainly more than 1 person was campaigning against them. Time gives us greater confidence in Divine teaching as he discern the text. The more heresies you combat the more confident and infallible the text becomes. One wouldhope the incompetent scribes were rooted out eventually.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 02:48:29 PM by Vivace »
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2010, 06:40:29 PM »
If you have a passage that talks about Christ as being Divine and being human and you have a heresy that denies the human element, ammending the text to drive the point of two natures doesn't distort the message.
Are you serious?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2010, 06:53:36 PM »
Whoa, I don't think you could conjure a better example of how we arrived at the scripture we have in front of us today. It only takes a few Vivaces who insert what "clearly" must be the correct picture of Jesus, and you end up with resurrections, infinite amounts of fish and bread, and all that.

rumborak

Offline Vivace

« Reply #150 on: November 20, 2010, 01:11:58 AM »
If the last two posts are an indication of where this thread is going than I'm sorry I posted anything.

When you have a Divine message that is distorted through heresy, then explain to me how correcting the heresy is a distortion in itself? Either I'm not being 100% clear or people are not understanding what is being said here. And to drive the point even better, if you have a perfect circle that someone puts a dent into it, then explain to me how fixing that dent to bring back the perfect circle only makes it worse?

However I really don't care for Rumborak's attitude in his last post. I find it rather insulting especially to my beliefs and if that's the direction I am going to expect from him then you can count me out of any discussion with him on religion.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: November 20, 2010, 01:26:55 AM »
Either I'm not being 100% clear or people are not understanding what is being said here.

Actually, I think you just kinda have to realize that sometimes people can both understand and disagree with what you're saying.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2010, 02:51:42 AM »
If the last two posts are an indication of where this thread is going than I'm sorry I posted anything.

When you have a Divine message that is distorted through heresy, then explain to me how correcting the heresy is a distortion in itself? Either I'm not being 100% clear or people are not understanding what is being said here. And to drive the point even better, if you have a perfect circle that someone puts a dent into it, then explain to me how fixing that dent to bring back the perfect circle only makes it worse?

However I really don't care for Rumborak's attitude in his last post. I find it rather insulting especially to my beliefs and if that's the direction I am going to expect from him then you can count me out of any discussion with him on religion.
Pardon me, but you seemed to be indicating that it was OK to amend a Biblical text because some heretic somewhere was using it to support his beliefs.  If I am misrepresenting what you said, please correct me.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2010, 07:06:32 AM »
You know, not that it really is my issue, but I find this artificial requirement for the Bible to be 100% literally and historically correct to be a sign of poor faith.
Even the CC abandoned the idea of literalism, and if there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that the CC doesn't give an inch in matters of faith unless it feels it is absolutely inevitable.
The Bible was written by men, each with their own aspirations that went into the manuscripts. How else could it be that Jesus' quotes in the gospels are of different wording? Or that John disagrees on the order of events?

Regarding the specific question, the Roman records are simple and plain beyond doubt. I'm sorry, I know you want your apostle to be the hero of the day, but it's one dude against Roman maps that thousands of people found their way by.

rumborak
Well, you ruined any credibility in your post for me when you sited the CC as a source for anything. :tick2:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:02:42 AM by tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2010, 07:09:45 AM »
wut
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2010, 07:10:18 AM »
Tick, did you even read Rumby's post?
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2010, 07:18:32 AM »
Tick, did you even read Rumby's post?
Yeah I read it. I'm just saying the CC has no credility with me so what they say or think holds no water. Its a bunch of hypocrisy for me personally.
I was raised a Catholic and when I realized I didn't have to stay one when I got older it was a tremendous feeling of liberty.
I read all the other stuff he said, but when the CC gets mentioned I get a little queasy. :tick2:
That is all.
To all Catholics I say, to each his own if it works for you.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 07:31:07 AM by tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline SixDegrees

« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2010, 09:19:49 AM »
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:55:44 AM by SixDegrees »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2010, 08:11:54 PM »
Vivace, the point is that you're modifying what is in front of you based on *your* idea of what is heretical. Meaning, you injected your own theology into the document. Whoever gets the document after you can't distinguish what was your "correction" and will take it for granted, just as you are taking at face value what is in front of you, even though you have no idea whether the previous editors' ideas about Jesus were correct or not.
In essence, your willingness to bring the Bible "in line" is why you can't take it at face value.

rumborak

Offline ehra

« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2010, 08:33:24 PM »
For some reason the idea of the Bible being an ancient predecessor to Wikipedia articles has a certain charm to it.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2010, 08:40:27 PM »
Yeah, pardon me if I'm misunderstanding, but there seems to be some really circular kinda stuff going on here. "We considered a certain faction to be heretics, so we changed the text so that our interpretation would seem way more plausible than theirs. And then we killed them. All."

That'd be like the government claiming there's no "Freedom of Speech" in the US Constitution, rewording the amendment to reflect that opinion, and then saying "see? That amendment never really meant there was 'Freedom of Speech' at all and it's always been that way."

Heck, therein lies the whole problem with Catholic "authority."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2010, 08:45:37 PM »
We had to destroy the village in order to save it.

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2010, 03:33:16 AM »
I was kinda hoping Odysseus would reply...we had a nice riff going :(

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2010, 04:18:53 PM »

Up to the 17th century, nobody was in the position to question the Bible. First of all, heresy was met with death, simple as that. Second of all, the Bible was read in Latin vulgate, which nobody actually understood but the clerics who read them. Thirdly, Enlightenment had to come around for people to apply reason to these matters.
I think it's pretty obvious that only now are we rediscovering the criticism and spread of interpretation of the Bible that very early Christianity saw, and saw with good reason, because nothing was as clear-cut as the CC forced it to be soon-after.

rumborak

Yes,that was in the West.On the other hand,at the East,the place that the Gospels were written,people continued to speak and write to the same language and they were reading the Gospels.
So at the East they knew what they were talking about,that's why our church is called "Orthodox".
We actually speak and read the same language and we can read the Gospels in the original text without translation,as our ancestors.
I am sorry but most of the stuff i am reading here is made from the centuries of the Western "Dark Ages" and the decision of the Roman Catholic church to write and speak in a language that no person understood at those times except the Pope and some priests.
That was NOT the case in the Greek speaking East.

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2010, 04:49:06 PM »

Take the formulation of the Nicene creed that eventually became doctrine - that is, the doctrine that God, Jesus and the holy spirit are of one substance.  Arius and his followers, as well as many others had always believed that Jesus was subordinate to God, and backed this up with scripture, correctly pointing out that scripture depicts Jesus as being separate and subordinate to God - "My god, why have you forsaken me etc etc..."  It took a hell of a lot of exegetic contortion to get the Nicene Creed past this rather large hurdle, and a lot of manoevring regarding the terms 'homooussios' and 'homoiousios'.  So it would seem that scripture was also subject to some 'creative exegesis' in the service of doctrine too!  Understandable from the viewpoint of some of the church fathers at the time who were concerned to make their orthodoxy palatable to the emperor, but rational?.... hmmm....

Do you understand what ομοούσιος ('homooussios') means and what ομοιούσιος ('homoiousios')means?
They seem too similar but they mean very different things and the theological consequence of those words are too important to ignore.
Ομοούσιος ('homooussios')means from the same essence.Theologically means that in this context of the Nicene Creed that Jesus Christ is God as God himself is,they are from the same essence,they are "one".The theological concequence of that is that Jesus is God,but not a distinct seperate God like the Greek and Roman Gods.
Ομοιούσιος ('homoiousios') means that he is from a similar essence to God but not the same.
That means that he maybe God but a distinct God from God the Creator.Similar but not the same.
So,in the homoiousios doctrine you have 2 Gods:God the Creator and Jesus.
The words maybe look the same and have near identical meaning to the English speaker but to a Greek speaker they are worlds apart in their meaning  and that,in a Theological context is extremely importart,especially in a meeting to clear things up and to fight herecies and false doctrines and interpetations.
Those words still separates Eastern Orthodox churches and churches like some Oriental Orthodox Churches.
So it's very current,not just a misunderstanding or a historical footnote.
And Saint Nicholas was there and you believe it or not he was so frustrated with Arius heresy that he slapped him!
Yes,the historical figure that in the Western forclore became Santa Claus became violent for that matter.
Those people took their faith VERY seriously.Few years ago Saint Nicholas and others were imprisoned just because they were christians and persecuted.
If you think that the Nicene Council was some cover up or a walk in the park you don't know at all Orthodox Christianity.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:15:49 PM by nikostheater »

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2010, 05:20:54 PM »
*claps*