Author Topic: I'm Just Sad....  (Read 5107 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
I'm Just Sad....
« on: October 26, 2010, 09:03:51 PM »
I just watched the Transatlantic DVD tonight and wow did it fuck with me. I realized how much I love Mike Portnoy.(not in a sexual way)
I was watching the DVD and kept thinking, holy shit, he isn't the drummer for Dream Theater anymore! That sucks!
Maybe I'm an idiot cause it bothers me, but man I hate the thought of Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy. It really bums me out. I have a buzz going so I'm in a melancholy state.
I guess that's all. Have a nice night.  :(
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Occasional_Madman

• A danger to myself
Re: I'm Just Sad....
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 09:12:44 PM »
It hit me again just recently. I just don't think they'll have the chemistry they did live without him. No matter how good the new drummer may be, it just won't be the same. :sadpanda:
So many things I think about,
When I look far away
Things I know, Things I wonder
Things I'd like to say...

Offline pmahoney1337

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 09:14:32 PM »
I'm sure there are a lot of people who agree with you, but there are countless other threads you can express your feelings  :smiley:

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 09:19:07 PM »
.....but is the DVD good?
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 09:46:09 PM »
I just watched the Transatlantic DVD tonight and wow did it fuck with me. I realized how much I love Mike Portnoy.(not in a sexual way)

Whew!  I'm glad you cleared that up, 'cause I was getting kinda worried there for a second.

In all seriousness though, it's not like he's gone.  He's just moved on to other stuff for now.  I don't know about rejoining the band, but I'm sure he'll play again with DT sometime down the road.  He literally lived and breathed for DT for 25 years.  No way he can just go cold turkey.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 10:24:32 PM »
I enjoy his drumming with TA much more than DT.  Win/Win.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 12:08:01 AM »
Yeah I had similar thoughts when listening to Beyond This Life at Budokan.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 03:25:33 AM »
Watching the DVDs with Mike makes me smile. It reminds me of some amazing, beautiful times. But those times are gone, and the only thing we can do now is be happy about the future.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 06:30:44 AM »
I'm sure there are a lot of people who agree with you, but there are countless other threads you can express your feelings  :smiley:
Really? Thank you so much for pointing that out to me. My up most apologies for the inconvenience. Would you be kind enough to point in the right direction to a proper thread for my post. I'm so lost.

Whew!  I'm glad you cleared that up, 'cause I was getting kinda worried there for a second.

In all seriousness though, it's not like he's gone.  He's just moved on to other stuff for now.  I don't know about rejoining the band, but I'm sure he'll play again with DT sometime down the road.  He literally lived and breathed for DT for 25 years.  No way he can just go cold turkey.

Yeah, I know. I was REALLY buzzed last night. Not that I don't actually feel this way, because its still a bad dream to me that Mike is gone.

.....but is the DVD good?

The DVD is great!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 08:29:54 AM »
I just picked up TA - The Whirlwind and A7X - Nightmare recently and I must say that I did not shed a tear.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 09:21:28 AM »
I just picked up TA - The Whirlwind and A7X - Nightmare recently and I must say that I did not shed a tear.
If Transatlantic were going to be a working band I would feel better about Mike leaving. I think A7X sucks, so if he remains with them, it will be like he doesn't even exist to me. I will be reduced to waiting for his side projects.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 09:30:03 AM »
I miss him most when listening to LTE.  I would really like to see a 3rd album from that side project if it's even a slight possibility.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 09:40:18 AM »
Actually, so do I.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 10:22:43 AM »
If TA became a full time band, I would be so happy.  The split could possibly even be worth it.

I can dream.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 10:51:18 AM »
Actually, so do I.
but its not like it matters cause they may never play again for all we know.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 11:17:50 AM »
But that's true of any band.  We never know when their latest album will turn out to be their last, until we hear that they broke up, or some member left or died or something.

Offline pmahoney1337

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 11:24:06 AM »
Really? Thank you so much for pointing that out to me. My up most apologies for the inconvenience. Would you be kind enough to point in the right direction to a proper thread for my post. I'm so lost.

I don't know, I guess I just thought that MP leaving the band threads were over and done with by now lol. It saddens me he left as well, but it's time we all move on and hope DT continues to be successful :smiley:

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 07:27:04 PM »
I was listening to the interview with Eddie Trunk and I can't help but think that DT will hire someone for one album and then Mike will return.
It could be wishful thinking that he does come back as well.

Also has MP's website died? For two days I have been unable to access the forum. (Sorry to change the topic)

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 08:29:54 PM »
tbh in terms of importance to the band hes probably the least. im not bashing him but im just saying id be more sad (believe me i am sad) if john myung, or jordan left. of course to each its own.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 08:41:03 PM »
Mike was the straw that stirred the drink. He was an undeniable presence that will be greatly missed. If it were just his talent, it would be no big deal. There is always someone out there better then someone else. Its about his place in the band. He will be greatly missed by so many. Sure he wears his heart on his sleeve and that can get you in trouble. He has a big mouth, and he is a control freak, but he is the one and only Mike! and there won't ever be another like him! :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 08:57:20 PM »
I agree that his presence will be missed, but he was not the straw that stirred the drink, so to speak.  For one, DT is too big of a drink for one little straw to successfully stir it ;), and for two, I think most have conceded by now that Petrucci was and is the most important guy in the band from a musical standpoint.  Portnoy might have put himself out there as the straw that stirred the drink, but many aren't buying it anymore.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 06:17:59 AM »
But I'll say this... Dream Theater is my favorite band for many many reasons. But watching MP perform and listen to him play drums was THE NUMBER ONE reason for me.
So I hear ya tick.
Still, I'm very excited for DT next era.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 06:27:55 AM »
I agree that his presence will be missed, but he was not the straw that stirred the drink, so to speak.  For one, DT is too big of a drink for one little straw to successfully stir it ;), and for two, I think most have conceded by now that Petrucci was and is the most important guy in the band from a musical standpoint.  Portnoy might have put himself out there as the straw that stirred the drink, but many aren't buying it anymore.
I would make the argument that without Mike in the band, it would have ended years ago. Mike is a work horse whose intangible qualities can not be accurately measured. That is one mans opinion.

But I'll say this... Dream Theater is my favorite band for many many reasons. But watching MP perform and listen to him play drums was THE NUMBER ONE reason for me.
So I hear ya tick.
Still, I'm very excited for DT next era.
I agree 100% I am excited for the future because Dream Theater is still going! The remaining members are still awesome and will make a great record.
I still hope Mike comes back in a couple years. Its seems some are not willing to give Mike a pass for some of his recent comments. Although a lot of them were a bit immature, he was in uncharted waters and I believed he learned a lot for the past couple months about not being completely transparent with your fan base. Many will eat you alive.
I would be thrilled if he came back tomorrow!