Author Topic: UK defaults to rule by Australia or US in case of destruction  (Read 1465 times)

Offline AndyDT

UK defaults to rule by Australia or US in case of destruction
« on: October 27, 2010, 06:51:10 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letters_of_last_resort

I think Australia being in the Commonwealth is the logical choice although the US would presumably have the means to annihilate the aggressor.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: UK defaults to rule by Australia or US in case of destruction
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 07:35:18 AM »
oh you

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 08:16:01 AM »
That's damned fascinating.

According to Peter Hennessy's book Secret State: Whitehall and the cold war 1945 to 1970, the process by which a Trident submarine would determine if the British government continues to function includes, amongst other checks, establishing whether BBC Radio 4 continues broadcasting.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 08:36:22 AM »
I'm guessing most Brits would prefer Australia?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 08:50:29 AM »

According to Peter Hennessy's book Secret State: Whitehall and the cold war 1945 to 1970, the process by which a Trident submarine would determine if the British government continues to function includes, amongst other checks, establishing whether BBC Radio 4 continues broadcasting.

That's awesome :lol

Interesting article, btw. Honestly, if I were the Prime Minister, my instructions would be "it's up to you really". You can not possibly foresee the circumstances in which a whole country is wiped out.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 09:10:23 AM »

That's awesome :lol

Interesting article, btw. Honestly, if I were the Prime Minister, my instructions would be "it's up to you really". You can not possibly foresee the circumstances in which a whole country is wiped out.

rumborak

Huh.  I'm not sure which I'd go with.  There's no point in just being spiteful.  I imagine the skipper on some boomer somewhere would blow some shit up if left to his own discretion.  Of course if you turned the boats over to the US, then they'd just be used to blow up some other, unrelated country.  I'd say give them over to the Aussies and let them sort it out.  If there's still a strategic use for blowing something to bits, then they can be used for such.  If it's all over and revenge is the only thing left, then they could be stood down.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 11:42:53 AM »
Given that in a nuclear war, the USA or Aussies would be the ones most likely to reatin some command structure, I would default command to them in the event radio 4 stopped broadcasting.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 04:13:56 PM »
surely if someone's gonna go to the trouble nuke Britain they'd do Australia and the US as well....