News:

The staff at DTF wish to remind you all that a firm grasp of the rules of Yahtzee can save your life and the lives of your loved ones.  Be safe out there.

Main Menu

how long would you like dts next epic to be?

Started by dethklok09, October 25, 2010, 02:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dethklok09

now im sure that we are all a fan of epics, how long do you think it should be. or should they not make one at all. personally i think they should keep it down to maybe a 10 minute one. just because of how bc&sl was full of long epics. btw by an epic i mean like a long full story with climaxes and everything, (something you can clearly differenciate from a normal song). of course epic songs dont have to be long and drawn out but im sure you know what i mean.
metropolis vs dark eternal night i think you know what is considered a dt epic

Jarlaxle

LieLowTheWantedMan

Infinite. The lyrics will consist of the digits of pi.

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Jarlaxle

toro

11 or 12 minutes ala Trial of Tears or Scarred.

Nic35

An album like Awake. Short heavy song, with a song as good as their best one, Scarred.

dethklok09

Quote from: kingshmegland on October 25, 2010, 02:58:42 PM
It's not the length but how you use it.
well lets just assume that the song is good but not awesome based on your perception

Ħ

I'm hoping for an album like Octavarium or Systematic Chaos.  Not quality-wise, but structure-wise.  A bunch of shorter songs, with one beast, and one mini-beast.

King Postwhore

Quote from: dethklok09 on October 25, 2010, 03:07:31 PM
well lets just assume that the song is good but not awesome based on your perception

I am the first to say I LOVE LONG SONGS.  But not just long for the sake of it. I want them to blow me away for 20 minutes. Not drag in parts.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Jarlaxle

Quote from: kingshmegland on October 25, 2010, 03:26:52 PM
Quote from: dethklok09 on October 25, 2010, 03:07:31 PM

I am the first to say I LOVE LONG SONGS.  But not just long for the sake of it. I want them to blow me away for 20 minutes. Not drag in parts.

DING DING DING! Exactly.

pogoowner

However long they want it to be, minus 3-5 minutes of what will no doubt be unnecessary instrumental wankery.

M-boogie

hefdaddy42

I want all of the songs on the next album to be as long as they need to be. 
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

peruvianskynewhampshire

Algo Fonix

I love long songs as much as the next prog fan, but I honestly could do without an epic for a few albums... but echoing what's already been said, I just want it to be long enough. 

darkshade

Quote from: Nic35 on October 25, 2010, 03:01:56 PM
An album like Awake. Short heavy song, with a song as good as their best one, Scarred.

surely, you cant be serious?  :facepalm:

Ħ

Quote from: darkshade on October 25, 2010, 04:54:28 PM

He IS serious.  And don't call--never mind, doesn't work when it's typed.  Damn.

JayOctavarium

doesnt matter to me... i just dont want another Six Degrees. I have a feeling we might get something along the lines of Trail of Tears... or i wouldnt even mind a suite like A Mind Beside Itself. (i consider Erotomania/Voices/Silent Man to be more of the "epic" on Awake)

bloop

I'd give my left leg for a one-track album. (Something that would beat up the Whirlwind and steal it's wallet.)

I seriously doubt DT would consider this though. meh. I'll look forward to a ~10 mini-epic.

Shadow2222

Quote from: BrotherH on October 25, 2010, 04:57:29 PM

He IS serious.  And don't call--never mind, doesn't work when it's typed.  Damn.

:police: (its the closest thing to a pilot's hat  :metal)

Ben_Jamin

10-15 min. Is reasonable. Thats the only thing that bugged me about BC&SL only 6 songs. It would be nice to get something like FII track length wise. More songs to play in a set

DeanTheater

I would like something like SDOIT.  I whole side of originals and then another with an entire 40 plus minute epic piece. :metal :metal :metal

JayOctavarium

Quote from: DeanTheater on October 25, 2010, 07:13:29 PM
I would like something like SDOIT.  I whole side of originals and then another with an entire 40 plus minute epic piece. :metal :metal :metal

I Just don't like the whole 8 stand alone tracks that can be played and treated as separate tracks being put together as one long "song". it was just too much for me. now give me a 40min plus epic, even if its divided into like 3 or 4 tracks, but they are still the same "song"... that would be perfect

sorry if m lke just rambling

pmahoney1337

I would like a 22-25 minute epic that features face melting guitar solos and mind boggling odd time signatures. I would also like it to be one song, I don't like it how they split it into parts especially when the transitions make it feel like it could be a new song. It needs to flow, for example, A Change of Seasons. ;D

darkshade

:rollin

anyway, i like all of DT's epics, so whatever they feel is good, ill probably be good with too.

i agree with whoever said there should be a bunch of shorter songs and one big epic, and maybe a mini epic

antigoon

Like around 10 minutes. and I want that to be the longest song on the album.

tri.ad

Ħ

Quote from: darkshade on October 25, 2010, 11:13:53 PM

:rollin

anyway, i like all of DT's epics, so whatever they feel is good, ill probably be good with too.

i agree with whoever said there should be a bunch of shorter songs and one big epic, and maybe a mini epic

I said that.   :biggrin:

?

Something like 14-15 minutes would be enough.

Mladen

YtseJamittaja

wolfking

Ħ

guysullavin

this, but as a listener, I'd rather listen to a song about 12-15mins