how long would you like dts next epic to be?

Started by dethklok09, October 25, 2010, 02:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dethklok09

now im sure that we are all a fan of epics, how long do you think it should be. or should they not make one at all. personally i think they should keep it down to maybe a 10 minute one. just because of how bc&sl was full of long epics. btw by an epic i mean like a long full story with climaxes and everything, (something you can clearly differenciate from a normal song). of course epic songs dont have to be long and drawn out but im sure you know what i mean.
metropolis vs dark eternal night i think you know what is considered a dt epic

Jarlaxle

LieLowTheWantedMan

Infinite. The lyrics will consist of the digits of pi.

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Jarlaxle

toro

11 or 12 minutes ala Trial of Tears or Scarred.

Nic35

An album like Awake. Short heavy song, with a song as good as their best one, Scarred.

dethklok09

Quote from: kingshmegland on October 25, 2010, 02:58:42 PM
It's not the length but how you use it.
well lets just assume that the song is good but not awesome based on your perception

Ħ

I'm hoping for an album like Octavarium or Systematic Chaos.  Not quality-wise, but structure-wise.  A bunch of shorter songs, with one beast, and one mini-beast.

King Postwhore

Quote from: dethklok09 on October 25, 2010, 03:07:31 PM
well lets just assume that the song is good but not awesome based on your perception

I am the first to say I LOVE LONG SONGS.  But not just long for the sake of it. I want them to blow me away for 20 minutes. Not drag in parts.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Jarlaxle

Quote from: kingshmegland on October 25, 2010, 03:26:52 PM
Quote from: dethklok09 on October 25, 2010, 03:07:31 PM

I am the first to say I LOVE LONG SONGS.  But not just long for the sake of it. I want them to blow me away for 20 minutes. Not drag in parts.

DING DING DING! Exactly.

pogoowner

However long they want it to be, minus 3-5 minutes of what will no doubt be unnecessary instrumental wankery.

M-boogie

hefdaddy42

I want all of the songs on the next album to be as long as they need to be. 
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

peruvianskynewhampshire

Algo Fonix

I love long songs as much as the next prog fan, but I honestly could do without an epic for a few albums... but echoing what's already been said, I just want it to be long enough. 

darkshade

Quote from: Nic35 on October 25, 2010, 03:01:56 PM
An album like Awake. Short heavy song, with a song as good as their best one, Scarred.

surely, you cant be serious?  :facepalm:

Ħ

Quote from: darkshade on October 25, 2010, 04:54:28 PM

He IS serious.  And don't call--never mind, doesn't work when it's typed.  Damn.

JayOctavarium

doesnt matter to me... i just dont want another Six Degrees. I have a feeling we might get something along the lines of Trail of Tears... or i wouldnt even mind a suite like A Mind Beside Itself. (i consider Erotomania/Voices/Silent Man to be more of the "epic" on Awake)

bloop

I'd give my left leg for a one-track album. (Something that would beat up the Whirlwind and steal it's wallet.)

I seriously doubt DT would consider this though. meh. I'll look forward to a ~10 mini-epic.

Shadow2222

Quote from: BrotherH on October 25, 2010, 04:57:29 PM

He IS serious.  And don't call--never mind, doesn't work when it's typed.  Damn.

:police: (its the closest thing to a pilot's hat  :metal)

Ben_Jamin

10-15 min. Is reasonable. Thats the only thing that bugged me about BC&SL only 6 songs. It would be nice to get something like FII track length wise. More songs to play in a set

DeanTheater

I would like something like SDOIT.  I whole side of originals and then another with an entire 40 plus minute epic piece. :metal :metal :metal

JayOctavarium

Quote from: DeanTheater on October 25, 2010, 07:13:29 PM
I would like something like SDOIT.  I whole side of originals and then another with an entire 40 plus minute epic piece. :metal :metal :metal

I Just don't like the whole 8 stand alone tracks that can be played and treated as separate tracks being put together as one long "song". it was just too much for me. now give me a 40min plus epic, even if its divided into like 3 or 4 tracks, but they are still the same "song"... that would be perfect

sorry if m lke just rambling

pmahoney1337

I would like a 22-25 minute epic that features face melting guitar solos and mind boggling odd time signatures. I would also like it to be one song, I don't like it how they split it into parts especially when the transitions make it feel like it could be a new song. It needs to flow, for example, A Change of Seasons. ;D

darkshade

:rollin

anyway, i like all of DT's epics, so whatever they feel is good, ill probably be good with too.

i agree with whoever said there should be a bunch of shorter songs and one big epic, and maybe a mini epic

antigoon

Like around 10 minutes. and I want that to be the longest song on the album.

tri.ad

Ħ

Quote from: darkshade on October 25, 2010, 11:13:53 PM

:rollin

anyway, i like all of DT's epics, so whatever they feel is good, ill probably be good with too.

i agree with whoever said there should be a bunch of shorter songs and one big epic, and maybe a mini epic

I said that.   :biggrin:

?

Something like 14-15 minutes would be enough.

Mladen

YtseJamittaja

wolfking

Ħ

guysullavin

this, but as a listener, I'd rather listen to a song about 12-15mins