News:

DreamTheaterForums is a place for people who just don't have the time for music anymore. 

Main Menu

Wow, someone in DT was listening to Rainbow!

Started by SnakeEyes, November 06, 2010, 07:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perpetual Change

Quote from: Algo Fonix on November 07, 2010, 09:36:46 PM
Quote from: Adami on November 07, 2010, 09:30:32 PM
No one agreed on the ToT thing?

I do!

It's not a direct rip off, but it's DAMN similar.
You can definitely tell ToT was inspired by it.

Inspired maybe, but not a huge ripoff, especially when you take the full song into context. I mean granted it's a longer chord progression, so it's a little less likely that it was a complete accident. But DT do longer chord progressions, and sometimes those get borrowed too. It's no big deal. It's like saying the first band to copy the I, IV, V in the 50s were just ripping off someone else. It could be true but after awhile it becomes harder to come up with progressions that are completely unique and sound good. DT may have borrowed a chord progression from UK, but they did it very tastefully so and only as a segueway.

rumborak

Quote from: Perpetual Change on November 07, 2010, 09:25:37 PM
Dude, you've brought the Trial of Tears example up before, and no-one really agree with you then, so why bring it up now and act all surprised that people still don't agree? ;D

Eh. A lot of people don't hear a lot of things.

rumborak

Perpetual Change

People hear it, but they just don't think it's that big of a deal, because it really isn't. It's just a similar passage in two otherwise vastly different songs. Compared to other more "genre-specific" bands, the fact that Dream Theater occasionally sound like another band really isn't an issue for me, considering most metal/rock bands are just riding out the same overdone chord progressions for the one millionth time.

DeanTheater

Wow, this thread went on a tangent.  Anyways, I always say  "There are only so many notes on a fretboard or Keyboard"  at some point you have played them all.  Music is one big revolving wheel with different personalities thrown into the songs.  As, time goes on there will be nothing new and excitiing, until a new generation comes along that forgot what the last one did.

SnakeEyes

So, anyway, does ANYONE find it interesting that the band Rainbow made a music video with a guy getting hypnotized who has dreams about a girl, then wakes up to find that the hypnotherapist is really the bad guy at the end?  Anyone....?

Perpetual Change

Quote from: SnakeEyes on November 08, 2010, 07:03:50 AM
So, anyway, does ANYONE find it interesting that the band Rainbow made a music video with a guy getting hypnotized who has dreams about a girl, then wakes up to find that the hypnotherapist is really the bad guy at the end?  Anyone....?

In all honesty, Snake Eyes, hasn't SFAM already been accused of being a bunch of 'typical' concept album elements thrown together? I've definitely heard criticisms that SFAM is like a 'concept album by the numbers' but I really don't know how valid that is.

SnakeEyes

I'm not accusing it of anything.  I love SFAM, it's one of my favorite albums.  I'm just saying..... eh, nevermind.  bosk, hef.... someone.... please delete this thread.  LOL 

SnakeEyes

..... this thread is what some would describe as an, "EPIC FAIL." 

Perpetual Change

Hold on, Snake Eyes. I just came across some even more obscure evidence that points to the guys being Rainbow fans:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Clouds_&_Silver_Linings#Special_edition_tracks

KevShmev

Quote from: Setlist Scotty on November 08, 2010, 04:32:30 AM
Quote from: KevShmev on November 07, 2010, 09:35:33 PM
I agree that the beginning of "Endless Sacrifice" sounds like their homage to Metallica's "Sanitarium," but it also sounds directly lifted from the Michael Jackson song "Give in to Me." 

I knew this would be brought up, but I'm pretty confident that it was purely coincidence that it's the same - I can't imagine any of the guys intentionally saying "hey, there's this cool riff in an MJ song that we should incorporate into our song!" I honestly don't believe any of the guys listens to much of MJ, if any at all. And on the chance occurrence that one of them did hear that song, they probably recalled it subconciously, not realizing that it was from an MJ song instead of being an original idea.

I doubt DT ever does it on purpose, but it is difficult to deny that stuff from other artists creeps into their songs on a regular basis:

-The beginning of "Trial of Tears" sounds like a combination of Rush's "Xanada" (the drum fills) and Yes' "Close to the Edge" (the keys)
-The very-obvious "Blackened" vocal melody in "This Dying Soul"
-The bass during the intro of "Home" sounding just like Tool's "Forty Six and Two"
-The Muse riff in "Never Enough"
-The keyboard lead before the first and second verses in "Solitary Shell" sounding like the middle section of Yes' "And You and I"
-Rush's "The Spirit of Radio" guitar lead in "The Best of Times"
-Ozzy Osbourne's "Diary of a Madman" part in "Sacrificed Sons"
-etc.

No, I don't think it is that big a deal, but it is almost impossible to deny that identical riffs and melodies from other bands' music often find their way into DT's songs.  I guess they just have a lot of "pure coincidences," right? :biggrin:

rumborak

Quote from: DeanTheater on November 08, 2010, 06:30:11 AM
Anyways, I always say  "There are only so many notes on a fretboard or Keyboard"  at some point you have played them all. 

Yikes, this is always the worst argument. It's like saying that "there are only so many words in the English language, so sooner or later you're bound to write Hamlet out of accident."

rumborak

bosk1

Quote from: rumborak on November 08, 2010, 07:52:02 AMthere are only so many words in the English language, so sooner or later you're bound to write Hamlet out of accident.

That actually happened to me last week.

rumborak

Quote from: bösk1 on November 08, 2010, 07:53:57 AM
Quote from: rumborak on November 08, 2010, 07:52:02 AMthere are only so many words in the English language, so sooner or later you're bound to write Hamlet out of accident.

rumborak

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Orbert

SnakeEyes

King Postwhore

Instead of a Samba, we're all going to does the Rumba!!!  Do the Rumba..........
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: KevShmev on November 08, 2010, 07:29:31 AM
No, I don't think it is that big a deal, but it is almost impossible to deny that identical riffs and melodies from other bands' music often find their way into DT's songs.  I guess they just have a lot of "pure coincidences," right? :biggrin:

Oh I wouldn't say any of the things you've cited are pure coincidences in the least bit - all of those were doing their take on ideas that those bands (whom they respect and were influenced by) came up with previously. Obviously a matter of "hey I really like the way that _________ has that ___________ part in that song - let's try to do something like that in this song we're working on."

In the case of Endless Sacrifice and Give in to Me, I'd wager that was a out and out coincidence.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.
Quote from: TAC on July 10, 2024, 08:26:41 AMPOW is awesome! :P

lithium112

Quote from: Orbert on November 08, 2010, 09:50:36 AM
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 08, 2010, 08:23:49 AM
rumborak

rumborak

rumborak
I like that rumborak always signs his posts because, even though his name and avatar are right there, indicating the author of the post, you can never really be sure...

rumborak

I've had bad experiences, trust me. Imposters, such as rumborka, are always just around the corner.

rumborak

lithium112

Quote from: rumborak on November 08, 2010, 12:31:02 PM
I've had bad experiences, trust me. Imposters, such as rumborka, are always just around the corner.

rumborak

Good point. That must really infuriate them. They about to finish posting as you and then BAM! Foiled!

rumborak

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Orbert