Author Topic: antigoon's Song Roulette! Talkin 'bout Arcade Fire  (Read 47972 times)

Offline Seventh Son

Re: antigoon's Song Roulette! Round 1
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2010, 04:33:51 PM »
If you had chosen me I would have had the perfect cover song  :lol
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2010, 04:58:03 PM »
Sorry dude, just sent mine.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2010, 05:49:08 PM »
Everything's in! There's a *chance* I could have this done tonight.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 05:50:06 PM »
Everything's in! There's a *chance* I could have this done tonight.
Wow you're fast! This could be over a lot faster than number's was  :lol

Even though I'm not in, definitely looking forward to the results!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2010, 05:52:25 PM »
To numbers' credit, high schoolers tend to have a lot more busy work to do at home than college seniors. Also, this week is going to be off-the-wall nuts for me so there's a chance I might not be able to get the next write up done until next week -- I wanna start off strong :p

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2010, 08:33:22 PM »
Dayum, youse fast, boy.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2010, 09:23:10 PM »
antigoon, you make me proud.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 10:26:30 PM »
Maybe its just me, but I think the reason numbers was getting flak was because he would say "I'll have results by the end of the night", and then it would be two days later.  I didn't mind the time between his rounds, it takes time to listen to all the songs (probably more than once) and try to rank them, but the missing his own deadline kind of got annoying.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2010, 11:16:43 PM »
Perhaps. I'm home later than I thought, but I'm gonna continue on the write-up.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2010, 11:28:47 PM »
 :tup I hope I'm in the middle of tha pack, at least!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2010, 12:11:32 AM »
First, I wanna thank you guys for the submissions. I found something to like in all of them. I hope you'll forgive me for the shorter descriptions for some of your songs; I'm concise to a fault sometimes :lol  And besides, we can talk more in the thread.

5 Points - KevShmev: The Flaming Lips – Breathe https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Speak+To+Me+Breathe/2zF38M
Wow. This is what I was talking about when I mentioned bands adding something to the original piece. I’m really glad Kev sent this to me early in the day, because to be honest, I hated it on my first listen. It seemed to go nowhere; it was really noisy, and a bit disorienting. I listened to it again though; I wanted to give everything you guys sent me a fair shake. Once I got over the shock of my first listen, I could appreciate what was going on in this cover. The ostinato bass groove really holds the piece together, and the percussion work is great – the way the rhythm section works actually reminds me of something that would fit in a Santana song (Note: I don’t really listen to Santana, apologies if I’m way off :lol). I like the way the vocals are done, as well. It sounds like the harmonies are sung in the same intervals as the original, but since the underlying harmony of the actual song seems to be completely different, they have a whole new effect. I think what’s great about this cover is that it contains elements of psychedelia in a whole different way than the Floyd version did. This piece just puts me in a trance-like state.

4 Points - Sigz: Scala & Koalcny Brothers – Creep https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Creep/adTzz
I’m really glad you sent me this song. You’ll probably hate me for it, but I first heard it during a trailer for “The Social Network” and was really intrigued by it, but it slipped my mind soon after the trailer ended. Whereas Radiohead’s version of Creep has the soft verse, loud chorus thing going on, Scala’s cover is far more subdued, which is cool. Covering a Radiohead song is always a tricky proposition because one-upping Thom Yorke’s voice is just an uphill battle – 99% of the time, it’s just not gonna happen. The fact that the cover is done by a choir alleviates that pressure – it’s different enough to stand on its own merits. Like I said, I’m a huge sucker for vocal harmonies; this cover is right down my alley. I dunno if I could listen to a whole album of songs like this, but one is more than tolerable.

4 Points – skydivingninja: Jacob Moon – Come Talk To Me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qphRwdr6MlY
This is just great. I’ve actually never heard the original, and I thought both versions were excellent. I really liked how Moon made the song his own with his fancy guitar work – it really suits the song well. The tone he gets is out of this world, and I love how he manages to change his playing up throughout the six minutes of the song. I’d definitely like to hear more of this guy’s music.

3 Points – SoundscapeMN – Local Natives – Warning Sign https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Warning+Sign/2gDGa5
I wanted to put this up with the four-pointers, but Kev’s and SDN’s submissions were just too good. I actually like the cover way better than the original (I’m not too familiar with it) – I think the instrumentation is great and the vocal harmonies kick ass. Not much else to say!

3 Points – ariich – Matt Cardle – Baby One More Time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4mfUyjfuA0
What? Baby One More Time is actually a solid pop song! Rich took a risk sending me an X Factor song, but I like it a lot. Cardle’s voice really works well for the tune, and I like the way he changes up the vocal melody in some parts just slightly. I think the best part of the cover is the bridge – he sings with a lot of power here and it’s just a nice emotional payoff that you wouldn’t expect from a song originally done by Britney Spears.

3 Points – sonatafanica: Björk – Like Someone in Love https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Like+Someone+in+Love/1pGIaL
I’ve never heard a Björk song before this, so I was kind of worried, especially since I like the original quite a bit. Björk’s version is just a completely different animal though – just a harp and her voice. She sounds so vulnerable and fragile in the song, culminating in the cracking/straining of her voice in the end. I really like the raw sound of it.

2 Points – letters: Opeth – Soldier of Fortune https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Soldier+of+Fortune/2DX2HT
Man, I love Mikael’s clean voice. It’s just nice. I would have rated this higher, but I felt it was one of the most literal covers out of the bunch and not much else. I will say, I think the song is PERFECT for Opeth. When I was listening to the original, I thought to myself, “I bet the Opeth version isn’t much different,” and look, I was right :P

2 Points – Gorille: Stream of Passion – Street Spirit https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/songs/?query=street%20spirit%20stream%20of%20passion
I saw you had submitted a Stream of Passion song and I gasped a bit :lol Fortunately, it turned out to be good! Unfortunately, it’s a cover of my favorite Radiohead song, and while I think the singer did a really good job with it, I don’t think it needed to be turned into a metal song – I honestly think the original is perfect. This version sounds a bit too sterile. Also, while the singer's voice was very powerful, it just lacked the emotion of Yorke's, which is the problem I talked about in my description for Sigz's song -- It's just really hard to beat him, even if you're a fantastic singer.

1 Point – sneakyblueberry: The White Stripes – Jolene https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Jolene/2TrolA
Hm. Jolene ain’t my favorite song in the world, and The White Stripes couldn’t do much to change it. I do love the rawness of their live sound, though, and I think Jack White does this tune better than Dolly. But like I said, not a huge fan of the song.

Leaderboard:
KevShmev - 5
Sigz - 4
SDN - 4
SoundscapeMN - 3
ariich - 3
sonatafanica - 3
letters - 2
Gorille - 2
sneakyblueberry - 1

Round 2 - Free For All. Send me whatever you like.

Deadline - Wednesday, Midnight.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: antigoon's Song Roulette! Round 1 Results, Page 2
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2010, 12:29:49 AM »
Damn! :P I'll try to do better next round...

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2010, 12:49:11 AM »
I'm surprised there are people out there that actually like the Flaming Lips' massacre of Dark Side Of The Moon.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2010, 01:36:53 AM »
Haha shit I expected that.  Bad choice made under pressure   :|

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2010, 06:32:58 AM »
Damn I'm annoyed I missed this, I agree with Antigoon on some stuff other forumites don't seem to. Still, I'll definitely follow this.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2010, 07:08:56 AM »
Anything we want?  Great googly-moogly I'll need to think about this.

EDIT: Wait, no I don't.  I'll just recommend a band I recommend anyone with good taste to listen to around this time of year.  Sent.  Good to see I'm already near the front!   :biggrin:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 07:48:15 AM by skydivingninja »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2010, 08:19:51 AM »
I didn't listen to them all, but that Peter Gabriel cover was fantastic.  It probably would have won if I was scoring.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2010, 08:32:32 AM »
5 Points - KevShmev: The Flaming Lips – Breathe https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Speak+To+Me+Breathe/2zF38M
Wow. This is what I was talking about when I mentioned bands adding something to the original piece. I’m really glad Kev sent this to me early in the day, because to be honest, I hated it on my first listen. It seemed to go nowhere; it was really noisy, and a bit disorienting. I listened to it again though; I wanted to give everything you guys sent me a fair shake. Once I got over the shock of my first listen, I could appreciate what was going on in this cover. The ostinato bass groove really holds the piece together, and the percussion work is great – the way the rhythm section works actually reminds me of something that would fit in a Santana song (Note: I don’t really listen to Santana, apologies if I’m way off :lol). I like the way the vocals are done, as well. It sounds like the harmonies are sung in the same intervals as the original, but since the underlying harmony of the actual song seems to be completely different, they have a whole new effect. I think what’s great about this cover is that it contains elements of psychedelia in a whole different way than the Floyd version did. This piece just puts me in a trance-like state.

:tup :tup

I'm surprised there are people out there that actually like the Flaming Lips' massacre of Dark Side Of The Moon.

They massacred a few of the songs - yes, I am looking at you, "Money" :lol - but they did a great job with their cover of "Breathe in the Air." 

But hey, at least put a different spin on things than just playing it the same, which is what most bands do when they do covers.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2010, 09:13:17 AM »
I guess. I really hated the entire thing when I listened to it. I mean there is a re-imagining of an album and then there's...whatever the hell they did with it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2010, 09:54:17 AM »
But the important thing is antigoon liked it, and his opinion is the only one that matters here.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2010, 10:55:20 AM »
I mean, I guess, in that I'm running the game. But I like to hear what other people have to say.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2010, 01:41:13 PM »
Hey, antigoon, I know I'm not in this game and all, but can I still send you stuff anyway, just for the hell of it?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2010, 02:04:36 PM »
:lol Sure dude. I like sharing music with everyone.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2010, 03:00:56 PM »
PM sent.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2010, 05:18:23 PM »

4 Points - Sigz: Scala & Koalcny Brothers – Creep https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Creep/adTzz
I’m really glad you sent me this song. You’ll probably hate me for it, but I first heard it during a trailer for “The Social Network” and was really intrigued by it, but it slipped my mind soon after the trailer ended. Whereas Radiohead’s version of Creep has the soft verse, loud chorus thing going on, Scala’s cover is far more subdued, which is cool. Covering a Radiohead song is always a tricky proposition because one-upping Thom Yorke’s voice is just an uphill battle – 99% of the time, it’s just not gonna happen. The fact that the cover is done by a choir alleviates that pressure – it’s different enough to stand on its own merits. Like I said, I’m a huge sucker for vocal harmonies; this cover is right down my alley. I dunno if I could listen to a whole album of songs like this, but one is more than tolerable.

I just listened to this, and couldn't help but be reminded of this German Boys Choir's cover of dredg's "Matroshka"   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6u1iCfxDF0

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2010, 02:10:27 PM »
SO IMPATIENT

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2010, 02:55:16 PM »
SO IMPATIENT

Same.  Deadline to submit songs is midnight though, so I'm sure Goon hasn't started yet.  BUT HE SHOULD HURRY UP AND GET ON WITH IT BECAUSE MY SONG WILL WIN!

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2010, 03:04:27 PM »
I don't expect to score high with my song but you never know. It's just a song I had to send at some point.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2010, 03:05:32 PM »
I don't expect to score high with my song but you never know. It's just a song I had to send at some point.
Yes I think everyone in the universe knows what band you sent. :lol
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2010, 03:08:39 PM »
:neverusethis:

Oh well, the whole point of those games is to discover new music right?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2010, 03:15:36 PM »
:neverusethis:

Oh well, the whole point of those games is to discover new music right?

It was that band you love, wasn't it?  What were they called?  Predictable? :neverusethis:

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2010, 03:29:27 PM »
:lol

Think I'll probably lose again, but its better to risk it all on a risky choice than to rest on the risklessness of a riskless choice.

Yep.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2010, 03:56:02 PM »
Hey guys! I've started listening to your songs. Unfortunately, I've got a couple days of pure insanity coming up so the jury's out on whether I get this thing done by Friday night or not.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2010, 03:58:17 PM »
It's cool man, take your time.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?