Author Topic: antigoon's Song Roulette! Talkin 'bout Arcade Fire  (Read 48008 times)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: antigoon's Song Roulette! Final Round Results, Page 8
« Reply #280 on: December 25, 2010, 12:23:40 PM »
I wanna talk about Arcade Fire, because they are an amazing band. I don't know how many fans there are here, but I feel like there should be more.

Kev sent me "Sprawl II" from The Suburbs for my roulette round for songs from 2010, and it kinda rekindled my interest in the band. I had owned and listened to both Funeral and Neon Bible, but even though I knew they were quality recordings, I just wasn't captivated by them. When I heard "Sprawl II" and was subsequently blown away by how great it was, I knew I needed to give the band a second chance. I've been listening to Neon Bible constantly the past week, and I'm just really getting into The Suburbs now. They're both excellent. I listened to Funeral last night and while I don't think it's as great as their two most recent albums, it's still damn good.

Besides "Sprawl II," which is probably the song of the year for me,  my favorite song is "Intervention."

Thanks again, Kev :tup

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: antigoon's Song Roulette! Talkin 'bout Arcade Fire
« Reply #281 on: December 25, 2010, 12:25:24 PM »
I really can't get into The Arcade Fire. They're like Animal Collective to me; everyone seems to love them but I just don't get it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #282 on: December 25, 2010, 12:26:14 PM »
It took me a while, but damn it was worth it.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #283 on: December 25, 2010, 12:34:37 PM »
It took me a while, but damn it was worth it.
Ditto.

"Sprawl II" is easily my favorite from The Suburbs.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: December 25, 2010, 12:55:45 PM »
I believe there's an Arcade Fire thread that yours truly started.  Great band.  All of their albums are great.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #285 on: December 25, 2010, 12:58:05 PM »
Brooke Fraser - Flags
This is a really superb singer/songwriter record. Fraser's voice is just beautiful and the song arrangements, which go beyond what I'd expect from an album like this, really compliment it well. If you like to listen to cute girls singing great, concise tunes, check this album out right away. Lyrics are pretty great, too. Thank sneakyblueberry for this one.

I don't have that album, but I have What to Do With Daylight, and there are some fantastic songs on there. I don't know how much of her Christian faith shines on the record you have, but it peeks through on this album. Especially the song Arithmetic. I love her work with Hillsong United a lot more though.

Where does one sign up to get in line to do one of these games?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #286 on: December 25, 2010, 01:23:44 PM »
There's a stickiedieididdeid thread up there.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #287 on: December 26, 2010, 08:33:38 PM »
I really can't get into The Arcade Fire. They're like Animal Collective to me; everyone seems to love them but I just don't get it.

dude I'm with ya. So, we both agree about The Stiletto Formal being awesome, and those 2 bands (Arcade Fire and Animal Collective..although I'll admit, Strawberry Jam I don't hate, but their Hype factor makes them totally overated). Arcade Fire, are like Radiohead to me in some ways. I like some (many?) artists who get compared to them, but I find their music itself to be soul-less and lacking something unique, addictive, or reason to want to hear it again. The Hype factor puts them even further down to me. I have yet to hear 1 song by them that I found even good, let alone amazing.

I would much rather listen to bands like The Polyphonic Spree, Revere, or Emanuel & the Fear who do the wall-of-sound thing a lot better than anything I've ever heard from Arcade Fire.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: December 26, 2010, 10:22:19 PM »
Arcade Fire?  Soulless?  WHAT?

Some songs that should make you change your mind, or at least get that horribly wrong "soulless" thought out of your mind:

-Sprawl II
-Intervention
-My Body is a Cage
-Rebellion (Lies)
-Neighborhood 3 (Power Out)
-Wake Up (the one everyone knows)

Radiohead is awesome too.  You just fail.  :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #289 on: December 26, 2010, 10:50:08 PM »
Arcade Fire is awesome.  Glad you are digging them, antigoon!

Definitely major LOL at calling them soulless or not unique. 

And not liking a band because of supposed hype is always dumb.  How good a band is has nothing to do with hype, popularity, etc.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #290 on: December 27, 2010, 12:10:34 AM »
Yeah, I don't get the soulless thing either *shrug*

Anyway, I'm starting to get into Funeral. Une Anne Sans Lumiere and Neighborhood #4 are beautiful songs.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #291 on: December 27, 2010, 05:31:09 AM »
And not liking a band because of supposed hype is always dumb.  How good a band is has nothing to do with hype, popularity, etc.

I completely agree, not that I think Soundscape has had his opinion changed by the hype, I think he just meant his frustration over them being overrated is heightened by it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #292 on: December 27, 2010, 07:07:35 AM »

Anyway, I'm starting to get into Funeral. Une Anne Sans Lumiere and Neighborhood #4 are beautiful songs.

Those were initially two of my favorites, but lately, I cannot get enough of "Rebellion (Lies)," "Power Out" and "Laika," the last of which I didn't like that much at first, but absolutely love now. :hat

I completely agree, not that I think Soundscape has had his opinion changed by the hype, I think he just meant his frustration over them being overrated is heightened by it.

Agreed.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #293 on: December 28, 2010, 01:36:30 AM »
Brooke Fraser - Flags
This is a really superb singer/songwriter record. Fraser's voice is just beautiful and the song arrangements, which go beyond what I'd expect from an album like this, really compliment it well. If you like to listen to cute girls singing great, concise tunes, check this album out right away. Lyrics are pretty great, too. Thank sneakyblueberry for this one.

I don't have that album, but I have What to Do With Daylight, and there are some fantastic songs on there. I don't know how much of her Christian faith shines on the record you have, but it peeks through on this album. Especially the song Arithmetic. I love her work with Hillsong United a lot more though.

You should really grab Albertine and Flags, they're both light years ahead of WTDWD and there is more than just a peek of her faith on these records.  With WTDWD you can really hear the tracks where she's maybe made sacrifices in terms of her message in an attempt to appeal to a wider audience, but its not so on the later two, it really feels like every song is written from her heart.  Albertine especially.  I highly recommend them, sir.  Way better than any of her Hillsong stuff.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #294 on: January 21, 2011, 07:35:49 AM »
So I've listened to The Suburbs a bit more, and this pretty much sums up my opinion:

I find their music itself to be soul-less and lacking something unique, addictive, or reason to want to hear it again.

None of their stuff is bad by any stretch, it's just... bland. Wish I could see what everyone else seems to see in them.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #295 on: January 21, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »
:(

Have you tried Funeral?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: January 21, 2011, 09:28:33 AM »
Or Neon Bible?  Its all good, really.  I'd still say Sprawl II is the complete antithesis of that comment by SoundscapeMN, Sigz.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #297 on: January 21, 2011, 09:29:26 AM »
I would have said Neon Bible too but I feel that Funeral is their warmest sounding record, if that makes any sense. But I mean OBVS THEIR BUTH GRAET.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #298 on: January 21, 2011, 09:47:48 AM »
I'd still say Sprawl II is the complete antithesis of that comment by SoundscapeMN, Sigz.

Sorry, I specifically listened to Sprawl II multiple times and I simply don't see the appeal at all.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: January 21, 2011, 10:04:47 AM »
I blame your short hair.  And Nick

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #300 on: January 21, 2011, 03:41:21 PM »
Haven't listened to them enough to formulate a proper opinion yet, but I've given both Funeral and Neon Bible cursory spins in the past and both times I thought 'these guys sound like Springsteen. These guys are awesome!' I'll 'properly' check them out soon.