Author Topic: antigoon's Song Roulette! Talkin 'bout Arcade Fire  (Read 48015 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: antigoon's Song Roulette! Round 1 Results, Page 2
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2010, 10:14:47 AM »
Glad you liked that Eric Johnson tune. :)

Hmmmm, a love song that is three minutes or shorter....this will take some thinking. :biggrin:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2010, 10:19:35 AM »
I'm not sure if you're joking or if you read that wrong Kev, but just incase its the latter he didn't say "love song", just a short song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2010, 10:25:19 AM »
Round 3: I really love songs that can do a lot with a little time. Give me something that's three minutes or shorter.

Whoops.  It is like I saw the word "love" there twice. :lol

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2010, 10:26:25 AM »
Wait, what? Doesn't have to be a love song!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2010, 02:49:11 PM »
Dammit at the song I went for. :lol It's one of my favourites on the album, and I've never found it to drag, but I've only even listened in the context of the album and never as an individual song, so I should have considered that really. But you should definitely give the whole album a few listens, plenty of the songs have more going on in them. :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »
Dammit at the song I went for. :lol It's one of my favourites on the album, and I've never found it to drag, but I've only even listened in the context of the album and never as an individual song, so I should have considered that really. But you should definitely give the whole album a few listens, plenty of the songs have more going on in them. :tup

I agree, although as a 1st song to introduce someone to The River Empires, there's a few others that seem more accessible. Three Tigers or Toast of the Snake King namely.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2010, 04:37:40 PM »
Possibly, although those two are a bit more straightforward. I think something like The Harbourland has a bit more variety, or maybe The Coventry.

The whole album just has so much awesome vocal harmony though. :heart

I be am boner inducing.

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
Re: antigoon's Song Roulette! Round 2 Results, Page 3
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2010, 08:35:02 PM »
Eric Johnson ftw :tup

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2010, 02:35:20 AM »
Oh damn, totally forgot to send one last night, just got too much going on at the moment. :facepalm:

I'll try and get one to you today.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2010, 07:04:18 AM »
Don't worry 'bout it!

Offline jsem

« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2010, 02:47:15 PM »
Eric Johnson ftw :tup
Seconded.

On his last fm... led zeppelin had 7 plays... just as many as Studioforce. Shameful.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2010, 02:56:51 PM »
Eh, Led Zeppelin is o.k.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2010, 04:59:34 PM »
Eh, Led Zeppelin is pretty great, even if they are kinda overrated.

My thoughts.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2010, 05:28:11 PM »
Meh. To the max.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2010, 05:33:24 PM »
Zeppelin are favorites of mine. I'll always love them, even if more than half their catalog were songs/ideas ripped off from Blues artists and other, more obscure artists/bands.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2010, 05:35:25 PM »
Led Zep to me: obviously a very important/influential/great band, but not my cup of tea. And noone even loves their own cups of tea as much as most people love Zep.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2010, 06:10:35 PM »
Zeppelin are favorites of mine. I'll always love them, even if more than half their catalog were songs/ideas ripped off from Blues artists and other, more obscure artists/bands.

Bernard Purdie comes to mind.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2010, 02:27:01 PM »
Oh yeah, sent my PM earlier today. Was I the last one to send in?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2010, 02:43:01 PM »
I have a feeling you were.  WAY TO GO ARIICH. :angry:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2010, 02:59:46 PM »
Oh yeah, sent my PM earlier today. Was I the last one to send in?

Yep :P

So Frengers is a great record. I've been trying to get my hands on some other Mew. As for The River Empires, I like what I've heard, but the album is so long I haven't been able to listen to it through. Still really unfamiliar with the music. A Toast to the Snake King is awesome, though!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2010, 03:42:38 PM »
give The River Empires 2 or 3 listenings all the way through. Yeah it seems long, but consider the facts

1) It's technically a 2-Volume record. In that it could and really should be seen as a double album or like a 2-album release. When you break it down, the 1st Volume (or album) is about 50 minutes long. The 2nd Volume (or album) is about 30 minutes. So taking that as it is, it doesn't seem so immensely long.

1) it's titled "Epilogue" and thus every part or piece is referencing in-effect, a different part of the 5 volume (or chapter) story that is to follow. It would be like taking a small part of each Harry Potter book and telling the story in 300 pages (or I suppose just to take a couple of songs off each "Act" of TDH's story or each part of the Coheed story). It's really like a sampling or overview of what is to come. But inevitably, with 5 more in-depth records to follow, it had to end up being as long as it did.

The fact was, Jessy had even more music that could have ended up just on Epilogue, but that music didn't fit with TRE's so he ended up using it for another project (The Gloomcatcher).

As for Mew, Frengers is great, you should check out And the Glass Handed Kites and No More Stories eventually as well.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2010, 07:41:36 PM »
Bring the thunder, goon.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2010, 12:34:26 AM »
I'm feeling less guilty about missing the deadline now. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2010, 01:25:06 AM »
I'm feeling less guilty about missing the deadline now. :P

Its probably your fault then :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2010, 04:22:11 AM »
4 Points – Kev – Eric Johnson – Manhattan
I dunno if it’s the fact that I’ve been listening to a lot of Satriani lately, but this song just makes me feel good. Eric Johnson has always been one of those guys that I’ve meant to check out for years but never got the chance to explore properly. I’ve heard his “hits,” like “Cliffs of Dover” of course, but I never really got to dig any deeper, so I’m glad you sent me this. I’ve listened to this song about five times and I really can’t get over the lead tone Johnson has. I’ve heard it discussed time and time again but it really is amazing… like a knife through butter. It’s just so damn smooth. Of course, none of this would matter if the instrumental wasn’t interesting. Thankfully, it’s tastefully composed and has some really nice stuff going on, even with the show-offey elements.

This song is simply amazing, go and pick up the album, the whole thing is wonderful.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2010, 08:51:23 AM »
4 Points – Kev – Eric Johnson – Manhattan
I dunno if it’s the fact that I’ve been listening to a lot of Satriani lately, but this song just makes me feel good. Eric Johnson has always been one of those guys that I’ve meant to check out for years but never got the chance to explore properly. I’ve heard his “hits,” like “Cliffs of Dover” of course, but I never really got to dig any deeper, so I’m glad you sent me this. I’ve listened to this song about five times and I really can’t get over the lead tone Johnson has. I’ve heard it discussed time and time again but it really is amazing… like a knife through butter. It’s just so damn smooth. Of course, none of this would matter if the instrumental wasn’t interesting. Thankfully, it’s tastefully composed and has some really nice stuff going on, even with the show-offey elements.

This song is simply amazing, go and pick up the album, the whole thing is wonderful.

I second picking up the whole album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2010, 08:53:05 AM »
Yeah, Venus Isle is absolutely stellar.  I remember buying it back when it came out and being pleasantly surprised at how really good the whole thing is. :tup :tup

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2010, 02:28:44 PM »
Update! Again, sorry for the delay. This week it was applying to law schools and registering for classes that got in my way.

Submissions were so good I had to break my own rule.

5 Points – SBB – Florence and the Machine – Bird Song
Where did this band come from and why have I never heard of it until now? I love how soulful and bluesy Florence’s (I assume that’s the vocalist’s name) vocals are in this song. The contrasting loud and soft sections work really well in this song, and I especially like the vocal harmonies in the soft parts. Sounds really ethereal at times. I’m definitely gonna need an album recommendation.

4 Points – letters – Katatonia – Omerta
I told you I liked this song! The “Why have you waited so long?” refrain has been stuck in my head all weekend. The vocalist’s voice is perfect for this track. It’s a pretty simple song, and while I don’t think the guitar solo/interlude is the greatest ever it provides some nice variation. Not much else to say really, the song is very solid. They don’t usually play music like this though, right?

4 Points – Sonatafanica – Pomplamoose – If You Think You Need Some Lovin’
This song made me dance. Literally, I got up from my chair and started dancing. I love the groove going on throughout the track so much. The call and response vocals are really well done; I like this chick’s voice a ton. Quirky tunes like this are among my favorite songs, so it really hit the spot for me this week! It’s not even 2.5 minutes long but it feels fully realized. Album?

4 Points – Rich – Nellie McKay – There You Are In Me
So I broke my own rule. Sue me. The four pointers were just too strong to move any of them down! I didn’t really like this one at first but I’m glad I gave it a few more chances. I think the chorus in the tune is cool, but the verses were what really kept me interested. It’s one of those rare occasions in which jamming a lot of words into a verse works well. Makes it a bit frenzied sounding, which I think is cool.

3 Points – SDN – Weather Report – Teen Town
So I was thinking about asking you for another song since I have Heavy Weather, but honestly I wasn’t too familiar with this song so I decided to use it. It’s good! I like how they held back for the most part. There really isn’t much wild playing or soloing at all in this piece. Kinda all about the groove -- I can dig that.  

3 Points – Sigz – Emily Loizeau – Comment Dire
So it took me a while to get over the French, which I didn’t think was going to be a problem for me. But anyway, I think this is a cute song, but not really as strong as the four tunes with higher points. I like how haunting it is, and the piano work is really nice. I’m interested in checking out some more of her stuff if you want to recommend something, though.

2 Points – Gorille – Mr. Bungle – After School Special
So I’m just going to pretend the last minute of this song without music doesn’t exist. I liked the actual song a lot, but I dunno what the deal is with the end. Definitely a strange song, but I think it works for the most part. Really like the refrain. You were SO close to being in the 3s this round!

2 Points – Kev – Trevor Rabin – The Cape
This was probably the most interesting song I received this week, and I feel bad for rating it so low, because I certainly enjoyed it. I guess that’s the problem with the way I’m doing the rankings, but that’s OK. Can you tell me more about this guy? I thought the song got pretty damn good in the second part when more instruments were added.

1 Point – SoundscapeMN – Kevin Gilbert – Suit Canon
Holy polyphony, Batman! This song has a few things going against it – Not really a fan of the polyphony, and I’m definitely not a fan of much a cappella anything, although it is impressive to hear. Also, the little circus bit at the end confused me. I gotta say, the song wasn't my cup o' tea.

sonatafanica - 12
KevShmev - 11
SDN - 10
letters - 9
sneakyblueberry - 9
SoundscapeMN - 8
ariich - 8
Sigz - 8
Gorille - 6

Round Four: I think this year was a pretty damn good one for music releases. Send me something from 2010.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: antigoon's Song Roulette! Round 3 Results, Page 4
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2010, 02:49:19 PM »
Ruh roh.  Brb, buying more stuff from this year.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2010, 02:51:21 PM »
:lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2010, 02:54:27 PM »
Would live releases from this year count or is that a no?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2010, 02:54:48 PM »
Yeah, sure.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: November 08, 2010, 03:01:41 PM »
5 Points – SBB – Florence and the Machine – Bird Song
Where did this band come from and why have I never heard of it until now? I love how soulful and bluesy Florence’s (I assume that’s the vocalist’s name) vocals are in this song. The contrasting loud and soft sections work really well in this song, and I especially like the vocal harmonies in the soft parts. Sounds really ethereal at times. I’m definitely gonna need an album recommendation.

Yay I'm glad you liked this!  This song (+ its awesome intro, which isn't a part of this song) is off Florence + The Machine's debut album Lungs.  The funny thing is that this song (+ 3 other songs that should of actually made the album) can only be found on the deluxe edition of the album.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2010, 03:07:06 PM »
Huh, weird! Well, I'm getting it now. And I'm about to buy Brooke Fraser's Flags after listening to about 3/4 of it on Grooveshark. Girl can write songs!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2010, 03:08:58 PM »
Fuck. There was a shitload of good music this year, but I have a hard time imagining you liking most of the stuff I have. I might just send something totally from left field.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.