Author Topic: DTVT's Music discovery Roulette game - You made a huge dent in my wallet  (Read 51129 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: DTVT's Music discovery Roulette game - WINNER ON PAGE 8
« Reply #280 on: December 17, 2010, 05:55:20 AM »
DTVT, do you think you'll be checking out more music from The Stiletto Formal? because I can tell you, that is my favorite track on their record "!Fiesta, Fiesta, Fiesta, Fiesta" and frequently mentioned as a favorite online (by their fans), but it's the only song with a rap.

I really can't say enough good things about that record. It's one of the most energetic and addictive albums I've heard in the last 10 years, as there's a very good reason I have it at a perfect 5-stars. They're prog, not hip-hop, but they brought in Murs do do a rap on that song, which honestly I think not only works extremely well, but is a pretty unique or even original way to combine rap with rock music.

It didn't lose because it was/has rap, it was more about the keyboard/synth being to up-front and in my face.  One could argue the song Used by Pain of Salvation has a rap (and a few other songs as well), and it hasn't prevented it from being a song I really like or a band I really like.  The two things that keep me uninterested in rap are the repetitive simple drum & bass loops and lyrical themes, the latter more than the former.  If you say it's not representitive, I would be more inclined to check them out, and I could see myself liking the song the same way I like SDV - it doesn't really fit in with the rest of their catalog but its interesting and unique.

I checked out the Menomena tune as well, and I liked that one about the same as The Stiletto Formal.  I recommendation from both you and Sigz carries a LOT of weight round these parts...I promise I won't write them off.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: DTVT's Music discovery Roulette game - WINNER ON PAGE 8
« Reply #281 on: December 17, 2010, 07:43:38 AM »
Thanks DTVT....great game.
Congrats to everybody for sticking with this fun musical discovery puzzle and while I'm the winner, I think DTVT really stands as the big winner, for getting all sorts of new stuff and for all the time effort he put into the write-ups

High fives for all.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Ok..just to show the appriciation for what I was sent, I want to show you guys how much money you made the artists you sent me - so far.  There are still other bands and albums I need to get as well:

The Dear Hunter (I had ordered these before the roulette started, but I'll list it here anyways)
Battle of Mice
Slough Feg - 3 albums and counting  :tup
Pink Floyd - Pulse
Cloudscape - 2 albums and will be getting the last one next time I order
Intronaut - Valley of Smoke
Kaddisfly - Set Sail the Prairie
Scar Symmetrry - 2 albums
The Stilleto Formal

That's 15 albums and counting, and there is still plenty of other bands I want to get - it is either a matter of finding them, or in the case of one band remembering the correct spelling of the band name  :facepalm:

Thanks for the music and the ever growing dent in my wallet.

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: DTVT's Music discovery Roulette game - You made a huge dent in my wallet
« Reply #283 on: March 05, 2011, 05:04:13 PM »
Set Sail and Fiesta x4 are both 5-star albums (as well as Act II from The Dear Hunter). So, those purchases to me would be money well spent. Although Set Sail especially, I hope you didn't spend a ton on as I see copies for $6-$9 quite often at Cheapo here. Plus I'm sure Amazon has some used copies for rather afforable prices.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: March 05, 2011, 05:47:25 PM »
I bought it from lordxizor.  Actually, it was the free one, and I like it much more than the two albums by 3 I "paid" for.  I now have three albums by 3 and I'm just not getting it.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Cloudscape - 2 albums and will be getting the last one next time I order
Intronaut - Valley of Smoke
Scar Symmetrry - 2 albums

So much win here!!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: March 06, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »
I think you'd really dig Slough Feg, Wolfking.  Check them out on grroveshark and let me know what you think.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: March 06, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
I think you'd really dig Slough Feg, Wolfking.  Check them out on grroveshark and let me know what you think.

Hmm...never heard of them.  I'll check them out tonight.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: March 07, 2011, 02:15:40 PM »

Hey mate, checked out a couple of songs quickly last night.  I like it.  I like the rawness in their production and the balance they seem to conjure up between metal and folk elements is impressive.  I will look into more of them.