Author Topic: DTVT's Music discovery Roulette game - You made a huge dent in my wallet  (Read 50816 times)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: DTVT's Music discovery Roulette game - Round 4 results page 5
« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2010, 05:08:35 PM »
I've tried pimping myself here since 98 and people still don't know who I am......and your post count....ya..they reset fyi.

less pitty party
more roul'ing and ette'ing
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2010, 05:31:09 PM »
I tried pimping that disc a few times here, and nobody really gave a shit so I stopped.

That's a damn shame, it's an amazing record.

I've tried pimping myself here since 98 and people still don't know who I am......and your post count....ya..they reset fyi.

less pitty party

When do they reset it?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2010, 05:41:36 PM »

less pitty party
I've recognized you, but I'm always good at remembering that kind of stuff.

And I already sent my song, so I can bitch all I want  :biggrin:
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2010, 11:06:38 PM »
Good god you people are making this difficult.  After initial listens, there isn't a clearcut favorite, or clearcut weakling.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2010, 03:44:52 AM »
Good god you people are making this difficult.  After initial listens, there isn't a clearcut favorite, or clearcut weakling.

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing for us!

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2010, 08:47:03 AM »
well ...if you need to score me lower...consider this.

I join these roulettes to expose people to stuff they may not be familiar with or may have been "away from" musically for awhile.

It's not about winning or losing for me...I just like to share good tunes.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2010, 02:37:33 PM »

I join these roulettes to expose people to stuff they may not be familiar with or may have been "away from" musically for awhile.

That's a good attitude, I agree with it.  There is so much underrated music out there that never gets the exposure it deserves.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2010, 04:00:19 PM »

yeah that's the whole point, although I'll admit on both this and antigoon's roulette I have chosen some songs purely based on accessibility over what may not work on 1st impression. Why in some ways, these things aren't exactly the ideal way to expose an artist to someone initially (as opposed to hearing an entire album or a mix, etc)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: November 23, 2010, 11:34:55 PM »
Round 5 - New release

This was a relatively tough round.  The difference between my favorite song and my second least favorite was relatively slim.

6 points
Sigz - Intronaut - Elegy - If BTBAM were more straight-forward, this would be the result, and I mean that in a very good way.  I have a friend who I can't get into BTBAM because of the vocals, I need to see what he thinks about this.  I can see why you are so high on this band, now it's just a matter of me ordering them after my next poker trip when I get some money.  The fact that they are on Century Media means I'll probably get another grab bag as well...double win!

5 points
Zantera -The Pineapple Thief - 3000 Days - I've listened to this song several times and I really don't know how to break it down, other than to say it's enjoyable, standard cross-over prog affair that I really can't complain about.

4 points
SoundscapeMN - Foals - Spanish Sahara - Ahh...something not heavy in the midst of all this heaviness.  Musically, it reminded me of a cross between The Dear Hunter and Radiohead, and vocally like a softer Enchant.  A nice balanced, warm blend.  I definately like this song more now than in my initial impression.  I could see a band like Foals (assuming this song is representative) being a nice change-of-pace artist for me.  I'll have to look into them more :tup

Wolfking - Sieges Even - Tidal - I've seen this band in many times in the inserts Inside/Out put in CD's, but this is the first time I've actually heard them.  A solid offering, and I guess exactly what I was expecting from an Inside/Out artist.  Guess it's bout time I look into them more.

3 points
YtseBitsySpider - Theocracy - Laying the Demon to Rest - I love the opening, it's heavy without being over-the-top, as well as music in the realatively speaking soft opening stanza.  From there, the verses are kind of run of the mill metal (not neccessarily bad though).  I like the bombastic style of the chorus as well.  My only real complaint would be the lyrical content, in that I'm not a fan of overtly religious music, which will be the only reason I wouldn't continue looking into this band, so I know I'm probably going to miss out on some good things from these guys.  If these guys did a secular album, I would absolutely eat it up.  Musically, it's heavy yet not heavy-handed (if that makes sense), and that's pretty uncommon these days.

Gorille85 - The Agonist - Thank You, Pain - My initial thoughts were, "This is like a cross between Arch Enemy and Lacuna Coil." - at least from the singing perspective.  Unlike Arch Enemy, they don't rely almost exclusively on death growls, but the back-and-forth between death and clean seems somewhat forced at times.  Not a bad song in the least, but the music almost seemed like it was too far in the background at times, and it was more about what the woman can do vocally.

Seventh Son - Cormorant - Uneasy Lies the Head - I liked the other song from earlier more.  I'm just not sure what to make of this one...it's not bad, the riffs and melodies are there, but the whole package seems to be less than the sum of it's parts.

2 points
Portrucci - Baroness - War, Wisdom, & Rhyme - Musically, yes, yes, yes.  Vocally, it just reminds me of everything I can't stand about Mastadon.  There is just something about the vocal delivery of sludge metal that doesn't interest me.  It lacks power.  I've tried to work out this problem with Mastadon, and it hasn't happened yet.  Maybe it will eventually, it took me over 2 years to appriciate BTBAM, so every once in a while I'll come back to Mastadon and this band to see if I can either learn to embrace or at least deal with the aspects of it that don't click for me, but right now, it's not clicking.

After 5 rounds:

YtseBitsySpider - 25
SoundscapeMN - 24
Sigz - 21
Wolfking - 19
Portrucci- 17
Zantera - 17
Gorille85 - 14
Seventh Son - 12

Round 6 - Long song.  If you can't find it on Grooveshark and it's split into to parts on youtube, remember to send both parts.

Also, I'll be out of town for the holiday.  Even if I have internet access, I'm not going to have the time to sit down and listen to the songs while I'm out of town, so you have essentially until Sunday afternoon to send your song.

Online SoundscapeMN

Re: DTVT's Music discovery Roulette game - Round 5 results page 6
« Reply #184 on: November 23, 2010, 11:46:26 PM »
hey, glad you dug the Foals. Actually, when I sent that, I wasn't sure what to send you that was recent and not knowing if EPs were allowed..

But so be it. I'd suggest checking out the rest of their new record "Total Life Forever" when you get the chance. "Blue Bood" and "Black Gold" are 2 of my other favorites on it, although the whole thing is without a weak track I've found.

A longer/epic track?..hmm

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: November 23, 2010, 11:51:54 PM »
hey, glad you dug the Foals. Actually, when I sent that, I wasn't sure what to send you that was recent and not knowing if EPs were allowed..

But so be it. I'd suggest checking out the rest of their new record "Total Life Forever" when you get the chance. "Blue Bood" and "Black Gold" are 2 of my other favorites on it, although the whole thing is without a weak track I've found.

I was really hoping to get a track from "The River Empires" album at some point since you've led the charge on that, and others seem to like it as well.  If you want to suggest a few outside of the roulette, I'd appriciate it  :tup

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #186 on: November 24, 2010, 12:10:37 AM »

I was really hoping to get a track from "The River Empires" album at some point since you've led the charge on that, and others seem to like it as well.  If you want to suggest a few outside of the roulette, I'd appriciate it  :tup

ahh, yeah that's a good point. I guess part of why I didn't send you a tune off that is it's one of those records that is greater than the sum of it's parts. And also I guess I figure it would be kind of predictable for me to send you a track from it.

Also being involved in 2 of these at once, someone already sent antigoon a track off it (although not one I'd have sent as a 1st impression), but I believe I replied by suggesting a few others. "Toast of the Snake King" "Three Tigers" "A Dimmer Lux" "The Curse of Maybel Cains" "Theon, the Fox"...I mean honestly I could probably add 4 or 5 more, but I'm biased I guess.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: November 24, 2010, 01:46:07 AM »
I just can't seem to crack the 5 point barrier!  :lol

I have no idea, and I'm so busy, I'll need until Sunday to try and look for a song.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #188 on: November 24, 2010, 04:21:32 AM »
Great that you liked the song, i think The Pineapple Thief is one of the more underrated "new" bands out there, they are truly awesome.  :tup

As for the next round, my choice was obvious.
It was THE song i wanted to send all along, and when i noticed the different rounds i already knew that i would save the best for last, since it falls under the category.
Won't spoil it anymore. :P

PM on it's way.  :hat

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #189 on: November 24, 2010, 05:18:01 AM »
Completely understandable about the lyrical content....it is pretty christian and for some--that's just too much to "glaze" over. I have a buddy who's the same....he loves the music, the voice everything...but wants nothing to do with the "light, the love, the blazing angel swords" and all that.

Gorille.......you've got a set of stones sending anything by the Agonist. That chick's vocals are fun for a bout 30 seconds...and then holy crap you just want to throttle her.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: November 24, 2010, 12:35:45 PM »
Gorille.......you've got a set of stones sending anything by the Agonist. That chick's vocals are fun for a bout 30 seconds...and then holy crap you just want to throttle her.
Are you serious?? ??? She's one of my favorite vocalists... :tdwn

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: November 24, 2010, 01:09:17 PM »
DTVT is there a maximum time for this long song?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: November 24, 2010, 01:34:54 PM »
I'll cap it at 80 minutes, just so you don't send me that guy who makes songs that are literally 2 days long.  It can be as long as The Whirlwind, but don't send that, I already got that  :biggrin:

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #193 on: November 24, 2010, 01:46:55 PM »
dtvt, I read that bit about vocals in sludge metal.

The way I see vocals in sludge metal is that they're used as instruments, and not any more important than any other instrument in the band. As in...they're not exactly the focal point, if you will. But that's just what I've noticed about the genre. I don't listen to much sludge metal outside of Mastodon.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2010, 01:50:24 PM »
So, I guess it's time to explain how the elimination bracket will work.  The top 3 seeds will have "protected songs" - that is they can choose their songs for the knockout phase, and they can't be chosen by lower seeds.  I realize that the probability of that is low, but I wanted to build in some other reasonable advantage for high seeds.  You don't have to send them yet, but you can start thinking of up to 3 songs.  The top seed only gets one song because it will be his song for the final, the second seed only needs two (semifinal and final), and the third seed gets three; and of course if the same song is chosen the higher seed gets it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2010, 01:55:06 PM »
PM sent.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: November 24, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »

The way I see vocals in sludge metal is that they're used as instruments, and not any more important than any other instrument in the band. As in...they're not exactly the focal point, if you will. But that's just what I've noticed about the genre. I don't listen to much sludge metal outside of Mastodon.

I try to pinpoint what I like and don't like about songs so that either someone can tell me "hey, you liked this; so check these guys out", or "you didn't like that one part, but if you might like band X as they sound similar but without that thing you don't like", or just so I don't get another suggestion for something similar.  So, if someone found something that musically was like Baroness or Mastodon, but without that vocal style, I'd love to check them out.

FWIW, That Baroness song > anything I've heard by Mastadon

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2010, 03:51:10 PM »
I think I sent all my songs at once...so I guess I'm good.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2010, 04:37:18 PM »
Well, you'll need one more if you hold the top seed.  Otherwise, you'll potentially need as many as your seed.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2010, 08:48:52 PM »

So, if someone found something that musically was like Baroness or Mastodon, but without that vocal style, I'd love to check them out.

FWIW, That Baroness song > anything I've heard by Mastadon

interesting..I have shyed away from a band I happen to love, and is similar to Mastodon, but I personally feel is much better at the same time. I worry the vocals will kill your interest in them like Mastodon.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #200 on: November 25, 2010, 05:59:59 AM »
Well, you'll need one more if you hold the top seed.  Otherwise, you'll potentially need as many as your seed.

well I already sent my "long song" so...what's the theme of the other one I need to send?
sorry the whole playoff thing has me a tad confoozed.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: November 25, 2010, 10:02:48 AM »

well I already sent my "long song" so...what's the theme of the other one I need to send?
sorry the whole playoff thing has me a tad confoozed.

Playoffs are open rounds.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #202 on: November 26, 2010, 11:55:44 AM »
well Im still confused...but....I need one more song..and it's open so..any genre/them/length or whatever then?

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2010, 07:10:51 PM »
Yes.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: November 29, 2010, 09:50:01 PM »
Don't worry about it until we get there then.  Just start thinking of songs you would send in an open round and keep them to yourself for now.

BTW, I've resigned myself to the fact I'm not going to get my customary 4-6 listens in this round.  The songs better dress to impress the first time.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #205 on: November 30, 2010, 02:21:31 AM »
The songs better dress to impress the first time.

Well I'm fucked.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: November 30, 2010, 03:48:22 AM »
Yeah, that's tricky to get such long songs to sink in after the first listen.  I am excited to see what everyone else submitted, I really get off on very long songs.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #207 on: November 30, 2010, 06:31:25 AM »
The song I think I sent was pretty good for me, because I love the band. But it does have a curiousity/interesting quirk to it. So it may not place well for overall quality but I hope the "gee that's interesting" factor scores well.

Are we allowed to say what we sent?

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: November 30, 2010, 06:43:12 AM »
Are we allowed to say what we sent?

Sure, I have them all.

I can probably get 2 or 3 listens in I guess.  I'm just thinking of the 30+ minutes of Wolfking's - which is fine, I did ask for long songs and some of my favorite songs are 20+ minutes.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #209 on: November 30, 2010, 08:44:16 AM »
well shit...now I can't remember the title.

It's a Pagan's Mind song...with the interesting Dream Theater quirk.

Happy Lives to you all.