Author Topic: DTVT's Music discovery Roulette game - You made a huge dent in my wallet  (Read 50806 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: DTVT's Music discovery Roulette game - Round 2 results page 3
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2010, 06:51:59 PM »
I think I may have accidentily deleted one of your songs.  I have songs from:

Ytse
Gorille85
Zantera
Seventh Son
Portrucci

if you sent me a song and you're name isn't above, please re-send it.

Sorry if I actually did delete your PM, I was trying to delete a non-roulette related PM.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2010, 05:44:05 AM »
PM sent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2010, 06:37:31 PM »
bump so this won't fall further!
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2010, 10:49:30 AM »
You know....I got pretty pissy in number's roullette (I really should appologize for that) and I'm just not going to get that way with this one.

He'll get to it, when he gets to it.
And
We have all the themes in advance so really we could send all the songs at once and come back in a month and see what happened.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2010, 10:50:37 AM »
Well, I was just bumping it so it wouldn't fall any further, I wasn't rushing him  :lol

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2010, 10:56:36 AM »
..no...I know..sorry...I should have said I was just sorta talking to myself mostly with that last one.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2010, 10:59:47 AM »
Talking to yourself...on the Internet.

Thats a new one.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2010, 12:20:55 PM »
I'm trying to keep up.  I got all the songs in, and my original plan was to do the second listens in tonight, and write-up tomorrow night, but my plans were kind of changed.  One of the former members in my group came down from NY to defend his Masters thesis, and he was originally going to stay with another guy in our group, but he got sick so the guy from NY has stayed with me the last two nights, and probably will throughout the weekend until Tuesday morning - so I don't know when I'll get to these.  I don't want to tell him, "I need to listen to music for a message board.  You're on your own."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2010, 02:45:30 PM »
Don't worry, take your time.  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2010, 03:26:40 PM »
I'm trying to keep up.  I got all the songs in, and my original plan was to do the second listens in tonight, and write-up tomorrow night, but my plans were kind of changed.  One of the former members in my group came down from NY to defend his Masters thesis, and he was originally going to stay with another guy in our group, but he got sick so the guy from NY has stayed with me the last two nights, and probably will throughout the weekend until Tuesday morning - so I don't know when I'll get to these.  I don't want to tell him, "I need to listen to music for a message board.  You're on your own."

And to think we were actually important to you.  :'(

Joking, joking.  Take your time mate, it's all okay, you are allowed to have a life.  I haven't got any songs planned for the next round anyway so don't stress.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2010, 08:27:55 AM »
This fell to the 2nd page?

NOT ANYMORE BITCHES

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2010, 10:21:40 AM »
Giving this yet another bump.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2010, 11:30:49 AM »
The thread doesn't need bumped.  I had a houseguest for almost a week, which was unexpected on my part because he was originally was supposed to stay at someone else's place.  I haven't forgotten, I've just been busy.  If I could download the songs and put them on my iPod, this would be easy as I could have listened at work and in my car to and from work.  However, at 8 songs x 5 minutes x at least 3 listens, it requires about 2 hours of time in front of my computer - something I didn't have with a guest staying at my place...not to mention the backload of work it created for me.  I'm sorry, but friends and work come before roulette.

Online antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2010, 11:33:47 AM »
It can get overwhelming, I know the feelng

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2010, 11:42:37 AM »
Well I just don't like seeing this all the way on page 2  :(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2010, 01:23:58 PM »
The thread doesn't need bumped.  I had a houseguest for almost a week, which was unexpected on my part because he was originally was supposed to stay at someone else's place.  I haven't forgotten, I've just been busy.  If I could download the songs and put them on my iPod, this would be easy as I could have listened at work and in my car to and from work.  However, at 8 songs x 5 minutes x at least 3 listens, it requires about 2 hours of time in front of my computer - something I didn't have with a guest staying at my place...not to mention the backload of work it created for me.  I'm sorry, but friends and work come before roulette.

I don't think he was bumping it to hurry you up.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2010, 10:31:12 PM »
Round 3 - Lyrical Content

Well, everyone thinks they are going to do poorly this round.  Somebody has to win it, so lets see who did.

6 points
SoundScapeMN - Kevin Gilbert - Certifiable #1 Smash - Some songs deal in subtlety and open interpretation...this isn't one of them.  However, the bash your brains in sarcasm in this song is all kinds of awesome.  It's about selling out musically to make it big.  Ok...I can't relate to that, but the song probably resonates so strongly with me because of my very negative view of mainstream music.  Got to love the mocking of Madonna's "Like A Prayer" video.  To be fair, I've recently got into Kevin Gilbert, but I haven't found a copy of this album yet, but it's only a matter of time.

YtseBitsySpider - Pink Floyd - Coming Back to Life - I'll admit to being very unknowledgeable about Floyd.  I'm familiar with DSotM, a handful of songs here and there (One of These Days is one of my favorite instrumentals).  The version I was sent was from their Pulse live album, which once upon a time I had listened to a few times as my dad owned it.  I don't remember this song from when I was a teen, but now I really got the itch to go track down Pulse on DVD.  Don't know why I never gave them serious treatment, and maybe it's time I did...this song certainly is making a strong case for it.  This song seems to be about regret, something I think we can all relate to.  Like how I'm regretting not making a stronger effort to introduce myself to PF all these years.  Bravo Ytse, you know how to play this game.  It's worth putting up with your complaining :)

5 points
Portrucci - Muse - Take a Bow - Alright...another one of those bands that have never "broken through" for me.  Well, this is by far the best song I've heard from them.  Angry without being heavy or screaming, it's catchy and interesting enough to keep my attention on the song.  Guess its time to take them off the bands I've written off, they can Take a Bow, I'll give them another chance even though I don't like some of the noise included in the song.

4 points
Zantera - Anathema - Universal - I have some experience with Anathema, owning two of their earlier albums.  Lyrically, I like the open-endedness.  Zantera told me why he chose this song, and I definitely see his point of view - but not having been through what he went through, I interpreted the lyrics not through the lens of loss, but of one of excitement and anticipation, maybe because I didn't get a gloomy feel from the song.  Either way, its always great when room for your POV is in a song.  I also liked it musically, not as much as I liked most of the stuff on Alternative 4, but enough to consider checking out their new album at some point down the road

3 points
Seventh Son - Cormorant - Sky Burial - So this is new all around, though according to SS not representative of their body of work.  While the lyrics are nothing profound, they are well versed and at not based on a well known tale.  Musically, I was really digging this.  The biggest complaint is that sometimes the vocals aren't as up front in the mix as they should be.  Really a minor complaint.  Again, SS sent me something I really like, but its coming up short basically because it doesn't really fit the round theme well.

Wolfking - Gary Moore - Empty Rooms - Since I wasn't given a link for a specific version of this song, I chose the one on the Ballads & Blues album...don't know if the other versions are the same or not.  Anywho...for a ballad, this ain't bad.  The song itself is about being heart broken...something I'm not really familiar with, but even without that, it's still soulful and very enjoyable.

2 points
Sigz - Modest Mouse - Bukowski - I've heard of this band for years, but for some reason thought they were an electronic band.  Glad they aren't :lol  Well, the song isn't really about Charles Bukowski, as much as it seems to be about questioning existence, notably your own, so the song does well for the round theme.  While I didn't dislike the song, at the same time I don't know how well I could make it through an entire CD of similar material.

1 point
Gorille85 - Thrice - Daedalus - Thrice is one of those bands I've heard everyone talk about, but couldn't get into what I heard of it, so I was hoping someone would send me a track just incase I was picking the wrong tracks at random.  Lyrically, it's just a retelling of the story of Daedalus and Icarus.  Nothing terribly new or interesting there - Iron Maiden went there almost 30 years ago.  Musically, it wasn't bad, just not very interesting...nothing that's wetting my appetite for more Thrice.  I'll stick with rice.

After 3 rounds:

SoundscapeMN & YtseBitsySpider - 17
Portrucci- 14
Wolfking - 11
Sigz - 10
Zantera - 9
Seventh Son - 6
Gorille85 - 5

Just as an aside - I don't look at who sent me what when I listen - I just load up all 8 songs and listen to them in a random order - and put names next to them after I do the bulk of the write-ups.  With the brackets, no one is eliminated.

Round 4:  Debut - basically an open round, but the song sent must be from the band's debut album (EP's and demos excluded)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 10:56:16 AM by DTVT »

Offline Seventh Son

Re: DTVT's Music discovery Roulette game - Round 3 results page 4
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2010, 10:34:54 PM »
I thought the lyrics were pretty awesome  :|

Maybe we have different opinions on what makes good and bad lyricism then.  :lol

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2010, 10:38:28 PM »
Good write ups all around :tup Quite happy with the 5 points actually  :coolio Muse is a really interesting band, but I do admit they have a lot of 'meh' songs. BH&R is probably my favourite LP of theirs, check out Map of The Problematique and Knights of Cydonia if you want another taste.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2010, 10:40:32 PM »
1 point
Gorille85 - Thrice - Daedalus
I, uhhh... :|
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2010, 10:42:26 PM »

Maybe we have different opinions on what makes good and bad lyricism then.  :lol

Your song's lyrics weren't bad.  Have you listened to Certifiable #1 Smash?  Great social commentary masked in humor or the other way around.  Very relateable.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2010, 10:44:01 PM »
Sorry dude, I was sure that I linked it from Grooveshark.  ???

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2010, 10:44:31 PM »
1 point

Even if it wasn't the worst song, they were clearly the least inspired and least relatable lyrics.  You're crushing my opinion and I know you haven't had time to hear the other 7 songs.

You linked the search for the song, but not a singular selection.  Don't feel bad, I couldn't figure it out when I was in Orcus's roulette  :lol
Was it the wrong version of the song Wolfking?

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2010, 10:47:23 PM »

Your song's lyrics weren't bad.  Have you listened to Certifiable #1 Smash?  Great social commentary masked in humor or the other way around.  Very relateable.
Hmmm, well for me when it comes to lyrics I don't really care about relating. Its how the words flow into the song. I compare the atmosphere and texture that the music and the lyrics themselves give off, and if they complement each other. I want the two (Music and lyrics) to be a single entity, to make each other better. To me that is what makes good lyrics, but not a lot of bands tend to do that for me  :lol
But I have an odd opinion regarding lyrics I guess so *Shrug*

Also, DTVT, I think I should mention that Cormorant is the kind of band that there really isn't one song that defines their body of work. A lot of the songs on Metazoa seem to be really varied to me, too much for one to represent it as a whole.

https://www.metal-archives.com/viewlyrics.php?id=1602359

Lyrics to the song I sent, if anyone wants to read them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2010, 10:52:06 PM »
1 point

Even if it wasn't the worst song, they were clearly the least inspired and least relatable lyrics.  You're crushing my opinion and I know you haven't had time to hear the other 7 songs.

You linked the search for the song, but not a singular selection.  Don't feel bad, I couldn't figure it out when I was in Orcus's roulette  :lol
Was it the wrong version of the song Wolfking?

I don't know to be honest.  I'll have a listen when I go home, the versions don't differ too much, but if it's the approx 4:15 version that's the best one.  The others which are 6 minutes just have an extended solo which is cool, but the radio version does the job and has the best vocals from Gary.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 11:18:22 PM by wolfking »

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2010, 11:07:31 PM »
I'm mostly rambling, but I really want to elaborate on what I mean by what I like to see in lyrics. Take Dream Theater. Most of their lyrics are "meh" to me, they don't really give a strong sense of atmosphere most of the time. They're serviceable, they work for what DT does, but not my cup of tea most of the time. There are a few exceptions though, songs like Scarred, Lines in the Sand, Voices all have great lyrics. The funny thing is, a lot of those songs have heavy religious symbolism too (And anyone that knows me knows I'm not religious either), but they just happen to create an aura and atmosphere that matches the music so much. I can't really relate to stuff like that, not sharing the same religious beliefs but I still think songs like that have great lyrics!

So I'm not of the opinion that you have to relate to it for the lyrics to be great/amazing, but its your survivor man. Just felt like babbling on about something silly :P

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2010, 12:00:38 AM »
I'm really doing an horrible job in these roulettes lately...

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2010, 12:14:11 AM »
2 points
Sigz - Modest Mouse - Bukowski - I've heard of this band for years, but for some reason thought they were an electronic band.  Glad they aren't :lol  Well, the song isn't really about Charles Bukowski, as much as it seems to be about questioning existence, notably your own, so the song does well for the round theme.  While I didn't dislike the song, at the same time I don't know how well I could make it through an entire CD of similar material.

fucking WHAT

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2010, 12:18:38 AM »
(next rounds) PM sent
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2010, 12:22:59 AM »
interesting, I submit a song from Kevin Gilbert's The Shaming of the True in both this Roulette and in antigoon's and I ended up with the exact opposite ranking. Although ranking schmanking, the biggest thing for me as a music fan is to suggest music worth hearing. And the more people hear Kevin Gilbert's music, the better in my mind, no matter how much they care for it.

"Smash!" or "Certifiable #1 Smash!" as it is known, is Kevin maybe at his most brutally honest metaphorically, yet still profound. I've always found the words standout even more than the crazy twists the music takes in that track. It's almost him doing rap in a way, which who knows if that would have been something he could have done more of, but I think on that one he found his voice so-to-speak.

"America's having a blowout sale".."me and my accountant are so happy"

I'll have to check out a few of others now as well (I know the Floyd and Muse tunes already though).  

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2010, 12:30:30 AM »
PM sent

:sadpanda:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2010, 01:35:01 AM »
PM sent. :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2010, 05:23:56 AM »
I have been so busy with work I haven't even started thinking about this round.  DTVT, when's the latest PM's can be sent??

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2010, 09:03:25 AM »
Ideally I was hoping to have them before Saturday night because that was my first planned listening period.  I will be in the lab Sunday afternoon, and watching the Steelers (American football) Sunday night.  It's a pretty open round, just think of some bands you like, and send your favorite song from their debut.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2010, 09:52:17 AM »
Hopefully I'll do better this time around  :lol

PM sent!