Author Topic: Scenes From My Memory v. Honor Thy Father  (Read 135827 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: Scenes From My Memory
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2010, 08:32:50 PM »
Surrounded is an incredible song.  Third best on the album IMO.  It's my favorite JLB song, and has one of my favorite DT riffs is at 2:58.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2010, 08:37:50 PM »
Give the guy a chance....

We gave you a chance, look what happened.  :rollin  :P
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2010, 05:59:10 AM »
Imaginary reader #2: Hearing Ingo stomping the crap out of his double bass and Archangel Michael's call to arms makes me wish to unsheathe my willy and bring justice into this world. 
Thought many times of Helloween when I got I&W. Glad I'm not the only one.

Considering everything until today was foreshadowing a decade of Novoselic/Grohl,
Very true. It seems as if DT came out of nowhere. The music scene looked very bleak. Even my favorite bands from the 80's released albums that seemed like huge steps back..Metallica's The Black Album, Helloween's Pink Bubbles, Megadeth's CtE, and Dio's Wolves. It's funny how great these albums have aged though, considering how I felt about them originally..but I digress..

3:39 – 4:03 This gem needs the resident guitar expert's opinion because I honestly can't understand how it was played.

Two words.."I Ran"..C'mon, I focking gave you that one.....
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2010, 01:33:35 AM »
Dear Indicscipline,

Still not sure if great success, but you do make me laugh. Any chance you will continue with another album after this one?

Regrettably Sober,

THED6

Offline Cityboy

« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2010, 08:11:45 PM »

Very well put but many great Majestic band's where around in the 80's and early 90's. It was bleak compared to 60's and 70's which I think is the greatest decade In Rock.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2010, 12:54:21 PM »
It moves like a glacier yet you people are still here. What's wrong with you? No, wait, I mean … Thank you guys. My eyes are misty while typing this, and it's not because of my uncontrollable flatulence. At least I think. Anyways, let me show some gratitude with a little Q&A, because I live to serve. I really focking do.

johnny108 writes:

Dear Indiscipline,
I think I have found my new hero.  ;D

Crack is not good. Crack is bad.

Samsära writes:

Dear Indiscipline,
We gave you a chance, look what happened.  :rollin  :P

Wait a minute man. I promised you a vast adventure. Next thing that you know ...

TAC writes:

Dear Indiscipline,
Very true. It seems as if DT came out of nowhere. The music scene looked very bleak. Even my favorite bands from the 80's released albums that seemed like huge steps back..Metallica's The Black Album, Helloween's Pink Bubbles, Megadeth's CtE, and Dio's Wolves. It's funny how great these albums have aged though, considering how I felt about them originally..but I digress..

You are a prince, but be a man about it and include No Prayer For The Dying. Do it.

Double TAC, because I focking like him:

Dear Indiscipline,
Two words.."I Ran"..C'mon, I focking gave you that one.....

Sir TAC, I am not stealing someone else's brilliant intuition. Secondly, never, ever forget I am an unmitigated cretin. Not even for a second.

ThroughHerEyesDude6 writes:
Still not sure if great success, but you do make me laugh. Any chance you will continue with another album after this one?

Rest assured, it's gonna be a jolly good failure. The plan is covering the whole discography until the next album hits the shelves. World peace and a cure for cancer being the following goals, of course.

05. Metropolis Part 1: The Miracle and The Sleeper.

Eventually I came back from the bathroom, feeling more peaceful and refreshed. I warmly suggest you, my treasured audience essentially consisting of three musical perverts still following this thread, to take a piss break as well. This is going to be insanely long, even by my focked up standards. Blame it on fate, Tuesdays, and Ryanair Airlines' sadistic delays. As always, people who are sober, have a strong appreciation of life, or belong to Generation Whatever need not apply.

0:00 – 0:39: Let's play How To Build Landscapes With Music. Pick a drummer with a noble grasp of percussions' cinematic potential (and, God Almighty, the Epic Bongo. You know, the one that sucker punches you at the 0:25 mark), a Zen keyboardist, and two axemen who know when you need to play and when you don't. There, you instantly find yourself into The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I actually feel like shooting the Banging Big Bro in the arse and retrieve the bounty. I am not kidding.

0:39 – 1:21: And I was here slightly fearing a side B stuffed with weak filler. Let's see. There are Kick-Ass Introductions (Locomotive Breath), there are Great Majestic Openings (Baba O'Riley), and there are Really Kick-Ass Great Majestic Opening Introductions (Epitaph), and yet I can't classify this. I think Conan-The-Barbarian-Riding-The-Millennium-Falcon-Into-Skeletor's-Castle-Focking-Princess-Buttercup might temporarily do it justice.

1:21 – 1:40: This is the riff I want to lose virginity to, I will not argue this. And before you can realise you are currently reading the work of a sick sick focker, I would like to point out how clever that keys counterpoint rings. If the other guys mainly strike me as virtuosos, Kevin Moore sounds the smartest. Of course, do what you want with this information.

1:40 – 2:36: This is the absolute pinnacle of what we have agreed to call The Hardcastle&McCormick (Remember?). I mean if Heaven and Hell's intro and verse are epic, what the fock is this? Mithologic? And while my inner loser is losing itself into such urgent matters, the Banging Big Bro steps inside the room. Now, dear readers, don't So-Focking-What me. This is a very important moment and deserves its own DOPE, that is Digression Over Personal Experience.

[DOPE]Do you know all those wonderful and sexy heavy rock records gracing humanity during the eighties? Just ask Sir TAC, he knows. Well, some lucky people listened to them on release, others enlightened enough bought 'em after years in order to study or enjoy the past. Me? I watched them getting in the house under the ape's armpit and that's it. The dimwit my parents insinuate is sharing my blood has never, ever allowed me to listen to the goods. Only exceptions: when he publicly offered them to the Drumming Dad's Judgement, or when I could muster the balls to penetrate his room, even knowing he usually pisses on the floor to mark territory and can smell other forms of life. [/DOPE] 

And now the pathetic monkey, drawn by the awesomeness pouring from the stereo, is implicitly asking ME to share MY music. You know, from MY band. Sure, I could go the Mwahahahaha Way and unleash the Middle Finger of Spite, but what do I gain? I mean, besides several broken ribs? No, I am playing the magnanimous gentleman here and let him bask in my discovery's glory, hoping that mockery of a shrunken brain will eventually acknowledge Dream Theater's superiority over his idols. This, and I'm focking crapping myself.   

2:36 – 3:07: The Return of The Space Soda! (Again, remember?) This time with olives and an ounce of Holdsworth.

3:07 – 3:34: Six degrees of Banging Big Bro's Faces:

1.The Beef Tannen Let's See Your Balls Face
2.The Judge Smails Kid You Could Be Actually Good But Still Beneath Me Face
3.The Apollo Creed You Are Actually a Little Too Good For My Good Face
4.The Vizzini You Are Definitely Too Good For Me Face
5.The Cobra Kai You Can't Be That Good Face
6.The Kid In Ranch Neverland Now I'm Seriously Frightened Face

3:34 – 4:16: Two Morons Still and Speechless into a Living Room. Sounds like a pop art painting's title, but it's actually a pretty accurate description of yours truly and his alleged sibling. And, prodigiously right on cue, the Third Arrives. The Drumming Dad is in the house. Noise of keys dropped on the shelf? Check. Tired footsteps through the hall? Double Check. Stench of tobacco. Whoo-pe-dy Check. Indiscipline on the verge of the Freudian slugfest? Focking Check, mate.

4:16 – 4:29: The Drumming Dad stops by. It must have been the crazy 13/8 thing. Air instantaneously sucked off the room.
Indiscipline: clutching at straws, still drowning.
Big Banging Bro: nose bleeding (can't count past 8).

4:29 – 4:42: Mike Oldfield on magic mushrooms writing Tetris music.

Drumming Dad: Clears throat, lights cigar. He's interested. Last recorded occurrence: Innuendo.

4:42 – 4:54: For the first time in my life, I need slow motion to understand what the fock I've just heard.
Drumming Dad: Sits on the couch. We must be at the end of days. It never happens unless:

A) There's soccer on TV
B) He's listening to his stuff.
C) He's having a heart attack.

4:54 – 5:24: Mike Portnoy, wherever you are, you have single-handedly raised The Drumming Dad's left eyebrow. You might like to know that only the following freaks have successfully performed such a feat on my watch: Peart Neal, Porcaro Jeff, Van Halen Alex.

5:24 – 5:49: Fock me in the Stanley and call me Clarke. Now I'm finally starting to get this. Every band member is allowed 30 seconds to show off and obliterate the competition. This is not a song, it's a Blitzkrieg.

5:49 – 6:19: Super Nintendo Galore, now available with a Steve Morse memory card!
Drumming Dad: Intensely staring at me.
Translation: There's a remote possibility I haven't wasted my swimmers and I could actually have a son.

6:19 – 7:08: Eh. It beggars the question: Will they ever be able to do THAT live? Or better: Dear God, can I be there when they do THAT live?
Drumming Dad: Intensely staring at his first mistake (Banging Big Bro).
Translation: I warmly suggest you come to me with something better than Slayer next time if you care to keep my surname.

7:08 – 7:22: Fripp? Zappa? Zipp? Frippa?

Drumming Dad: “You got yourself your own Yes, boy.”
Indiscipline: Openly pissing in shoes.
Banging Big Bro: Technical Knock-out.

7:22 – 8:02: Hanon for whole Rock Band. Seriously, this record should be sold at musical instruments stores.
Drumming Dad: Puffing on cigar, in his best impression of Don Vito Corleone figuring out the proper heir to the Family.   

8:02 – 8:28: What a progression. I am officially feeling like Han Solo, Clint Eastwood, and Kaiser Soze all wrapped in one.

8:28 – 9:12: Priceless moment: The Material Mom steps in to announce dinner, gets frozen on her tracks at the sight of her family collectively drooling before the stereo in zombie-like stupor.
Actual comment: Hmmmmmrpffffff.
Translation: Somewhere there must be a jury willing to justify me pouring anti-freeze into the three Stooges' dinner. Fock it, a life sentence is still worth it.

9:12 – 9:32: The Drumming Dad asks for the cover. It's the last judgement.

Listen, you CAN judge a record by its cover. With the notable exceptions of Queen (abysmal, but kitsch was their aesthetic raison d'etre) and Iron Maiden (you really have to play along the Eddie joke), great covers=great albums. Case in point? Floyds, Yes, King Crimson, Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, Supertramp. I could go on forever.

Now, I am feeling pretty confident about little Shirley Temple. It's pretentious and baroque enough to give the right intellectual what the fock does this picture mean vibe. In a word, or two, pretty solid.

The Drumming Dad smiles, nods. I may have won.

The Drumming Dad flips the cover, broad smile.

“They look quite the gay undertakers, though.”

Classic Drumming Dad backhanded put-down. I won

Coming Next: Under A Glass Moon

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2010, 01:22:53 PM »
I lol'd at 8:28. Amazing job yet again. I hope you do continue with more albums. I'll be with you for the long haul.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2010, 02:11:41 PM »
Holy fucking tap dancing christ, how have I missed this thread.  My hat is off to you good sir, your writing style is such a mix of off the cuff humor and dry rhetorical banter, it had me pissing myself, not to mention probably reinjuring my ribs I seperated two weeks ago from laughing.  As someone 9 years your senior(I believe you stated 1978), one who has four older brothers, and one who at one time owned Rainbow Rising on 8-track, I closeley relate to many things you stated thus far, especially the jaunt through the record store, too fucking much.  It is ironic that I put I&W on before I opened this thread, and was able to experience the songs in a new light for the first time since I first heard it on the radio way back when, and I thank you for that, sincerely.  Though there are so many quotable moments, I will only quote this one...
Fock me in the Stanley and call me Clarke. Now I'm finally starting to get this. Every band member is allowed 30 seconds to show off and obliterate the competition. This is not a song, it's a Blitzkrieg.
I felt this was an excellent description of what DT is.  Also, your reference to Drumming Dad saying,"I guess you found your own Yes, son" struck a chord with me as well, for Yes is my favorite band, DT being a firm number two.  Now that I know of this threads existance, I will follow faithfully, and look forward to mor instalments.  Thank you.

@Bosky and the Mods, if this thing doesn't end up in the archives, I'm taking my bacon and leaving.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2010, 03:23:34 PM »
Amazing as always! And as Implode says, if you do write about more albums I'll definitely stay along for the ride.

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2010, 03:47:18 PM »
Excellent as always..Keep it up!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2010, 03:53:54 PM »
Taking what I said back, gotta quote this one too...
Drumming Dad: Intensely staring at me.
Translation: There's a remote possibility I haven't wasted my swimmers and I could actually have a son.
:rollin

Offline Mechanix1911

« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2010, 04:09:37 PM »
Thank you, for this thread dude. Either tho, I haven't commented - I followed it from day one... You're a really interesting dude. Not that I'm trying to get in your ass or something, but you really made me re-discover Images and Words in a way. Thank you again.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2010, 06:32:40 PM »
I can't remember spending so long reading a thread since MP left. Could this be the new drummer!!!! I will log on everyday and look out for this one. :smiley:

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2010, 08:26:08 PM »
"This is not a song, this is a Blitzkrieg"

That is the single most awesome statement ever posted on this side of the forum.  Ever.

Offline SixDegrees

« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2010, 08:35:22 AM »
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:54:34 AM by SixDegrees »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2010, 03:22:10 PM »
TAC writes:

Dear Indiscipline,

You are a prince, but be a man about it and include No Prayer For The Dying. Do it.

Oh, absolutely! But I think my point was that while they "felt" like steps back in quality, Time has been very good to these albums. Sadly No Prayer is still a black eye on Maiden. I'd throw in Gary Moore's Still Got The Blues too, to my original point. who saw THAT coming??

Big Banging Bro: nose bleeding (can't count past 8).
That's funny!

“They look quite the gay undertakers, though.”

Good thing you didn't show him the WDADU pic! You'd still be changing the bandages on your ass!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2010, 11:12:44 PM »
This is a very fun and interesting read. Keep up the crazy work!

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2010, 07:41:11 AM »
Hah, this is awesome, more please!   :laugh:

I think you're going to be one of my favorite members.  :tup

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
Great work again! Oh, and congratulations on the victory!  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2010, 03:16:41 PM »
So...

:bump:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2010, 03:20:54 PM »
So...

:bump:
This, I've been waiting very patiently.

(Way to tease me, Bosk :getoffmylawn: )

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2010, 03:24:24 PM »
Sorry.  Take a deep breath, and let it out slowly...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline tumbok

« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2011, 08:12:45 PM »
this thread reminds me how i highly appreciated I&W the first time i heard it.

waiting impatiently for Under a Glass Moon, especially the lead guitar section  :metal

-tumbok-

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2011, 03:31:59 PM »
This thread reminds me how awesome I&W is and it gave me a new way to listen to it actually..
I am waiting for the next song..

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2011, 04:11:32 PM »
I think Banging Bro beat the fock out of him.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2011, 06:09:26 PM »
<breezes into thread guilty as fock>

Gals and ghouls, I haven't forgotten this thing. There are still so many utterly ludicrous and pointless anecdotes I owe you. It's just that holidays are the proverbial bitch with my kind of job.

I promise I'm going to update this soon. Also, I never had sex with that woman, and we have proof Iraq is hiding weapons of mass destruction.

Stay classy.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2011, 08:09:38 PM »
Yay, he's not dead!

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2011, 03:40:51 AM »
Somehow I missed this thread all this time but I've read through it all and I'm blown away by how funny and interesting it is. I love the Drumming Dad character. Please keep this going!
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline tumbok

« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2011, 03:45:11 AM »
in fact i have printed all the post about the songs and i always read it while listening to corresponding song.

so from the first i red this thread until now, i haven't listened to UAGM, WFS, and LTL....

i need indiscipline to continue this, or i will never listen to the last 3 songs of IAW again.

:facepalm:

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2011, 07:53:21 AM »
When are you coming back Indiscipline, we need you!  ;D

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2011, 08:23:06 AM »
Gals and ghouls, I haven't forgotten this thing. There are still so many utterly ludicrous and pointless anecdotes I owe you. It's just that holidays are the proverbial bitch with my kind of job.
I knew it.  You're Santa Claus.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2011, 08:35:44 AM »
:omg:  Then I think we need to ask him some hard questions.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp19qiash2U
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:42:45 AM by bösk1 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2011, 09:02:32 AM »
I knew it.  You're Santa Claus.
Yeah, and since easter is right around the corner, we're probably not getting anything else here until he's done delivering Easter eggs!

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2011, 08:19:07 PM »
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2011, 08:41:32 AM »
Edit: dfdfdf