Author Topic: Scenes From My Memory v. Honor Thy Father  (Read 135837 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Scene 07: Through Her Ice (SDOIT)
« Reply #630 on: May 24, 2019, 05:37:53 PM »
 Y’all notice that he doesn’t have to invent absurd posts for me, he just has to look through my history!  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #631 on: May 25, 2019, 04:16:02 AM »
Wait, you thought even for a second those quotes were guenuine?

Offline Bentower

« Reply #632 on: May 27, 2019, 09:49:12 AM »
I got more enjoyment out of the 0:00-0:13 bit than I ever did from The Glass Prison itself. Kudos for that, Indi!

I don't think the song is any good past the arpeggio section, but I do agree that the outro is fine and I would've been contented had they ended the whole AA-shebang right there with the door wide open.

Thank God we've Blind Faith!
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
...Isn't this fun?
« Reply #633 on: May 28, 2019, 04:54:03 PM »
Wait, you thought even for a second those quotes were guenuine?

Yes, I admit it. Because you had linked to an actual quote by me, I was curious as to what made Evermind say such a thing...then I clicked on the link and...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #634 on: June 18, 2019, 06:46:46 PM »
Dammit Indiscipline!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #635 on: August 19, 2019, 12:39:20 PM »
Okay, that was a sufficiently long pause. You may, please, continue with the narrative. We have blind faith in you!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #636 on: August 28, 2019, 10:12:45 PM »
He hasn't been around in a while. Hopefully he doesn't make us wait 8 years again.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

« Reply #637 on: August 30, 2019, 07:24:40 AM »
7:50 – 9:42: I can't believe I'm writing this, but … yawn.

:o

Literally my 2nd favorite moment on the entire album (ATC Reprise still being #1)

EDIT - In fact, I actually had this section as my ringtone for awhile...way back when.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Dream Team

« Reply #638 on: September 01, 2019, 08:17:19 PM »
What is it with this guy? I don’t want to say “weirdo” but man. Hopefully he hasn’t had an accident or worse.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #639 on: October 13, 2019, 01:47:00 PM »
I think weirdo is a given. I have earned that right.

Updates soon!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #640 on: October 13, 2019, 01:57:18 PM »
Ritorno del fantasma.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #641 on: October 14, 2019, 05:35:23 PM »
Now that's a good reason to come back more often to DTF :metal

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #642 on: November 05, 2019, 04:49:36 PM »
 :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #643 on: November 06, 2019, 06:02:58 PM »

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #644 on: March 12, 2020, 04:55:39 PM »
EDIT: The worst is over. Coming Soon: Blind Faith.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 09:23:20 AM by Indiscipline »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #645 on: March 12, 2020, 07:29:06 PM »
Someone's quarantined apparently.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: March 13, 2020, 06:56:55 AM »
Be strong and bravely afraid.

Good advice. And probably should be the title of this thread. I've been been bravely afraid since this thread's inception.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #647 on: May 27, 2020, 06:36:50 AM »
Whoever you are, if you're still here reading this, you DO have blind faith. The sad reality is I'm a coward, scared shitless at the thought of the upcoming disc 2, where I will have to introduce the character who indirectly caused this whole discography-therapy-saga-delirium. But we still have a bit of time, and a bunch of songs to deal with:

01 – Blind Faith:

0:00 – 0:32: And if you feeeeeeel that you can't go oooooon – Sorry, couldn't help it. Never a good sign when this skit falls on the very first timestamp. 

0:32 – 0:48: … But always a good sign when JM is at bat! Mind you, I'm still experiencing DT while completely oblivious to their wwweb reputation at this point, and yet I'm ready to bet a kidney he's the universally no-matter-what beloved band member. The Uber-talented Ringo, if you will.

0:48 – 1:05: Boy, those toms sound real good. Quite loud and in my face, but real good. Plus, you can be universally no-matter-what beloved but you can't stay under the spotlight for more than 15 seconds, apparently.   

1:05 – 1:38: Rhodes and crunchy punchy guitar! Always a pleasant surprise when the boys play with classic rock.

1:38 – 1:55: few tasty simple and focused keyboard notes, i.e. The book of Mooremon.

1:55 – 2:28: We're a Big James' impromptu southern twang away from Drym Thythyr, and I like it.

2:28 – 2:45: Kansas, even.

2:45 – 2:59: I am certainly biased in the matter, but there is no reason for the vocalist to be upstaged by, well, everything else in the mix. Ever. The terrorists have won when Vince Neil – the Mendoza Line -  gets more respect than Big James at the console.

2:59 – 3:16: No, I'm still pissed. You don't get a focking paragraph here.

3:16 – 3:33: Metallica and John Woo called: they want the I Disappear riff back.

3:33 – 4:06: I pity the fools who are still trying to compare Mighty Mike to other drummers; they're looking in the wrong places. A correct comparison would be: Mike Portnoy plays drums like Jimi Hendrix played guitar.

4:06 – 4:33: Fock everybody. I'm on my way, I'm on my way, home sweet home.

4:33 – 5:00: That kicked all kinds of ass. Maybe their most epic progression since Scarred?

5:00 – 5:13: Maiden Riff!

5:13 – 5:17: CALLING ELVIS!

5:17 – 5:41: Top notch JP Solo from the Let's Mix Morse and SRV Vault. I must say, while I couldn't spot the difference on the last album, now I can definitely hear a change in sound from the Picasso to the MusicMan.

5:41 – 6:06: The Epic is strong with this one

6:06 – 6:13: The Orion is strong with this one!

6:13 – 6:35: I believe the record company can make a section like this one mandatory for every song. Or at least it should.

6:35 – 6:54: Epic. I know, I'm repeating myself, but nothing else springs to mind. Epicepicepicepicepic. Epic. I'm spent. I blame the crazy roulette I'm going to host in 19 years, Doc Brown.

6:54 – 7:31: Having a keyboardist capable of the previous solo is a gift; having one perfoming this solo is a privilege; when it's the same person? It's focking science fiction.

7:31 – 7:56: The dragon has three heads

7:56 – 8:23: Different sound, different balance between instruments and frequencies, but this is a damn straight piece of Images and Words re-purposed for the new millennium.

8:23 – 8:55: It's official, another Mike album. Holy shit.

8:55 – 9:22: Grrrrr. I'm alive, I'm a live wire, I'm alive, I'm a live wire

9:22 – 10:21: Nothing new, considerations; (blind) faith kinda restored after the previous mess of a song. I'm a bit worried about Big James' usage though. After 10 years the guys still can't grasp the obvious: let that magnificent instrument sound in its own way, don't focking experiment!

Coming Next: 03 – Misunderstood

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #648 on: May 27, 2020, 07:18:12 AM »
1:38 – 1:55: few tasty simple and focused keyboard notes, i.e. The book of Mooremon.

:hefdaddy :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: May 27, 2020, 02:37:19 PM »
I'm always amazed at your ability to hear similarities between DT's music and other tunes. Sometimes I find the comparisons insightful (even cool), sometimes they seem a bit iffy. Sometimes you're just reaching. This is the first time you're just wrong...scratch that, you're so far off that you're not even up to wrong yet.

Motley Fucking Crew? For the chorus of Blind Faith? To quote TAC, WTF?  :lol
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 02:52:48 PM by Podaar »

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #650 on: May 27, 2020, 02:42:26 PM »
We speak different languages today, my man  :lol

It was an ironic reprise on the "Vince Neil gets more respect in the mix than Big James" (lame, I admit) joke.

As a guideline, since you're new to this thread, it's an explicit similarity only when it gets the "sorry, couldn't help it" tagline  ;D

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: May 27, 2020, 02:55:17 PM »
As a guideline, since you're new to this thread...

:lol

...it's an explicit similarity only when it gets the "sorry, couldn't help it" tagline  ;D

In that case...

0:00 – 0:32: And if you feeeeeeel that you can't go oooooon – Sorry, couldn't help it. Never a good sign when this skit falls on the very first timestamp. 

Sketchy.  :biggrin:

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #652 on: May 27, 2020, 02:56:28 PM »
Very sketchy  :lol

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #653 on: May 29, 2020, 01:12:09 PM »
Let's stop for a minute (isn't that sentence just hysterical in a thread featuring a 8 years hiatus and a 8 months vacation?) because this is a pivotal moment in my opinion of DT; sure, I couldn't know it at the time, but we're meta-ing this sucker since day one and there's no reason to stop now while the reader base couldn't fill a minivan. There is a b. and an a. Misunderstood for me, and while I try to explain the concept, please remember the only info I had on the band and its opus were one record, four cd's, and two live shows I had gone to. No interviews, no websites, no VHS/DVD commentaries (bought much later). Where did our relationship stand?

1992 (14yo – heavy metal phase) I&W: The Perfect Album, from the first E to the last audible fade-out note. Instant love, the rock upon which I build my church while the barbarians are vandalising the metal landscape.

1994 (16yo – conservatory snob phase) Awake: 75% great, 15% worrisome, 10% surprising. All the joy and hope (musical and lyrical) from the debut turns into gloom and claustrophobia. Not the perfect Evil Twin only because … well, not perfect.

(ACOS is a great huge song to play with while waiting for the next album …)

1997 (19yo – don't give a shit about rock music anymore) FII: Half treasure, half weak sauce. It's been good while it lasted, guys. I have to become a man, you are probably going to either break up or pull a Mascara Metallica.

1999 (21yo – just happy to be alive) SfaM: Comeback Player of the Year AND season MVP. The second DT album with the power to make an instant fan out of me, pretending I don't already know them (little I knew I had to wait 17 years for the third one). Where the fock are we going from here?

2002 (24 yo – balls deep musical theatre) SdoIT (which we're gonna call Toilet Wall): so far a hateful mess of a tune and a good rocker. Boring. They're content to play with house money and do my buddy James dirty. Then comes the masteclass in songwriting that is …

03 – Misunderstood:   

0:00 – 0:40: These forty seconds will forever be my star witness in the John Petrucci Canonisation Among The Greatest Musicians of My Generation Trial. Harmony established in maximum economy, wonderful melody, and a progression of bass root tones that should grace the cover of every arrangement manual. Its deceptive “simplicity” is further proof of its greatness. 

0:40 – 1:26: And, as always, great vocal melodies bring the best out of Big James, while he's at his worst with the sketchy ones ( ala Glass Prison). He's the ultimate gourmet singer.

1:26 – 1:42: Can you feel the tension growing under the progression, leaving it intact in its musical message, but completely twisting its mood to the point of giving the illusion to hear a whole different set of chords? Just like the way you talk and begin to increasingly feel … misunderstood. 

1:42 – 2:20: And the discourse is left suspended, leaving a hyperventilating tambourine, a stubborn fat bass, and a blade of e-bowing discontent. Songwriting, storytelling, and painting combined.

2:20 – 3:00: But despite the silence, or maybe by its virtue, the melody goes on inside the misunderstood one's mind. There are constant nodes disrupting communication (the swift percussion licks) and droplets of regret (the reverse effects). After all, you are misunderstood because of hurdles and loops in your thinking/communication process.

3:00 – 3:20: Ok, let's try to organise our speech one more time, articulating serial ideas raining down like echoing keyboard notes until ...

3:20 – 3:35: … frustration ramps up, once again.

3:35 – 4:33: Please, don't be distracted by this chorus' sheer beauty, and notice three things: 1) THAT harmonic is the sound a dam crumbling in your mind does when you can' cope with being … misunderstood anymore 2) The fifth ¼ every other 4/4 bar (hence 4/4, 5/4, 4/4, 5/4, etc) is the resolutive sentence you always fail to deliver when you're … misunderstood; it's like a breath taken in order to speak but never spoken. 3) Once James sings “misunderstood”, the tempo goes even; admission brings clarity.

4:33 – 5:13: And clarity brings terror in all its atonal qualities. You think your words and intentions are clear, but the outside world hears them as (cue the brilliant and crucial guitar solo) slightly duplicitous, almost backwards, with such a internal eccentric logic sounding illogical and discordant. A melody “seen” through moving oily waters.

5:13 – 6:37: The mind gives up, the heart bursts out; it's time for the drums (in this infinite recurring ritual John Woo duel/ballet between Johnny P and Mighty Mike) to grab the paintbrush and draw this amazing tune's electrocardiogram.

6:37 – Hall of Fame: A hellish descent into incoherence is all that's left, with twisting sense re-emerging now and then. For the way I like to listen to songs and my point of view on songwriting, this is an absolute masterpiece. The first of its kind since SDV.

Coming Next: 04 – The Great Debate

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: May 29, 2020, 01:32:50 PM »

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: May 29, 2020, 01:36:33 PM »
...and there's no reason to stop now while the reader base couldn't fill a minivan.

I've lost 3.25 stones in the past eight months, I can no longer fill a minivan by myself.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #656 on: May 29, 2020, 07:06:08 PM »
Motley Fucking Crew? For the chorus of Blind Faith? To quote TAC, WTF?  :lol

It was an ironic reprise on the "Vince Neil gets more respect in the mix than Big James" (lame, I admit) joke.

I got it, and even laughed out loud with "I'm a Live Wire."

I feel like we hear many of the same things. I have always thought James was a bit drowned out on those parts, but I could never put my finger on it. That's an awful keyboard sound under those lines, and a rare misstep, in an otherwise Jordan masterpiece.

But I feel like the piano part is the privilege. It's one of the nicest moments in their entire discog.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #657 on: May 29, 2020, 07:20:52 PM »
Misunderstood 5:13-5:40
James deserves some mention here.

And as you say, when James finally gets to "misunderstood" at the end of each chorus, it is really bringing it home.

I can't say I listen all the way through the outro every time, but I totally appreciate it.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #658 on: May 30, 2020, 12:10:41 AM »

:hefdaddy :lol

Welcome aboard, Knight of Aquarius!

...and there's no reason to stop now while the reader base couldn't fill a minivan.

I've lost 3.25 stones in the past eight months, I can no longer fill a minivan by myself.

:lol  Thank goodness you're not alone yet

Misunderstood 5:13-5:40
James deserves some mention here.

Totally. A lion. Again, when he's given meaningful lines and not forced to stretch his style, he's scary good.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #659 on: May 30, 2020, 07:15:40 PM »
Misunderstood is one of my wife’s favorites. For me the first parts are sublime but would have preferred different choices for the outro.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #660 on: June 03, 2020, 11:32:49 PM »
You've just described Misunderstood exactly how I've always thought of it in my head, but could never articulate properly :clap: :musicmoment:

Now I'm really curious about your thoughts on The Great Debate. Personally I've never liked the song very much. It's the one bad song on the album for me.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #661 on: June 04, 2020, 05:18:13 AM »
Misunderstood is one of my wife’s favorites. For me the first parts are sublime but would have preferred different choices for the outro.

I'm curious, which choices?

You've just described Misunderstood exactly how I've always thought of it in my head, but could never articulate properly :clap: :musicmoment:

Now I'm really curious about your thoughts on The Great Debate. Personally I've never liked the song very much. It's the one bad song on the album for me.

Are you accusing me of proper articulation? The nerve.  :lol

Online Dream Team

« Reply #662 on: June 07, 2020, 06:51:00 AM »

I'm curious, which choices?

Are you accusing me of proper articulation? The nerve.  :lol

Something that isn’t 2 minutes of grating on the ears? I understand your view that it fits the song but it’s not pleasant to listen to.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #663 on: June 07, 2020, 07:33:52 AM »
Gotcha!  :tup

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #664 on: September 29, 2020, 05:50:59 PM »
 :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid