Author Topic: Scenes From My Memory v. Honor Thy Father  (Read 135842 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Scenes From My Memory
« Reply #280 on: July 02, 2018, 03:05:52 PM »
I...I just realized that I voluntarily unlocked this thread.  Voluntarily.  I...

If I weren't at work, I would proceed directly to the shower.  And not the cold kind either.  The kind that is so hot, it kills everything on contact and leaves your skin bright red. 

I'm going to wander around the office and mumble incoherently.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: July 02, 2018, 03:15:01 PM »
JFK has spoken. We better clean things up, gents.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #282 on: July 02, 2018, 03:16:29 PM »
If JFK ever attended a GWAR concert, maybe.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: July 02, 2018, 03:20:36 PM »

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #284 on: July 02, 2018, 03:37:39 PM »
A racatac is knee and back saving device for manual labor (or extended sessions of cunnilingus, keeping in theme with the current thread) that requires one to be crouched or kneeling for any length of time. See also, the "DTF Old As Mold Club" thread where we compare aches, pains, prescriptions, and [edit]information on[/edit] Milfs.

Thanks, gotcha. Cunnilingus for aching old men. The Racatac song would be LSoaD. Without the shadow of a doubt.

We don't share Milfs.

Ouch. So much for the Rat Pack.

So I was just listening along and I was thinking, "WTF is Indiscipline talking about?"

But then I realized I was listening to Voices by accident.

So I put it back to Erotomania. And I started thinking "WTF is Indiscipline talking about?"

The Silent Man obviously.

I...I just realized that I voluntarily unlocked this thread.  Voluntarily.  I...

If I weren't at work, I would proceed directly to the shower.  And not the cold kind either.  The kind that is so hot, it kills everything on contact and leaves your skin bright red. 

I'm going to wander around the office and mumble incoherently.

Guys, trouble. Meeting at the Bellagio, usual damage control.

As usual, retinal scan not mandatory for Sammy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #285 on: July 02, 2018, 07:30:18 PM »
Until they started playing Innocence Faded on the 8V tour, my Awake CD always started on Erotomania. On my first listen to Awake, after 3 lackluster tunes, Erotomania basically told me to hang in there.

1:41 – 1:57: Lifeson Idiosincracies with a grain of Gambale Phrasing and a hint of Kerry King Chaos. You know, if Kerry King could actually play guitar.

I like the Kerry King reference. Now that you mention it, I can totally hear it.  But now that you mention it, I'll be unable to totally not hear it. Gee thanks!

2:10 – 2:37: How anatomically generous of you, Mr Portnoy. Lower limbs locked with Kevin, upper ones with John P. John M is locked with everything. He's Voltron's Black Lion and I won't argue this. Also, this transition is focking magic despite I'm ignoring the destination.

Pretty sure Mangini recorded this section.

4:23 – 5:06: Fock me in the Rimskij and call me Korsakov. That's some impossible elite cello game-changing shit. If nothing else, only by virtue of the tasty register choice, Johnny P is leaving Yngwie in the rearview mirror.

Total Yngwie. But not just Yngwie, but the entire Rising Force band. Heard it on the first listen and on every one after.

Really the one and only time I've ever heard Yngwie in JP's playing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: July 02, 2018, 10:20:20 PM »

1:57 – 2:10: Decades from now, lost in an ocean of DT intricate musical architecture, we'll criminally forget these glorious riffs worth a fucking whole discography by your average '90's rock ensembles.   

This really resonated with me.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #287 on: July 03, 2018, 04:19:21 AM »
Did Indiscipline just misspelled 'focking' on purpose?

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #288 on: July 03, 2018, 05:43:02 AM »
Did Indiscipline just misspelled 'focking' on purpose?

Ooopsie, my bad.

Edited for the sake of your workplace filters.

Let's keep this act squeaky clean.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #289 on: July 04, 2018, 07:28:07 AM »
Guys, we live to croon another day.

Jack is distracted with the blonde bombshell, the Cubans are still with us. The Five Families suggest to stay under the radar though.

New secret forum almost ready. Password is CabernetSauvignon14%.

Voices

0:00 – 0:26: Sabbath Atmosphere on Speedball would be my first response, if I weren't completely mesmerised by Myung's impression of a spider climbing down its web.

0:26 – 1:09: I'd wager Evil Queensryche Empire Rollercoaster Ride at Mercyful Fate Theme Park has briefly been this section's working title.

1:09 – 1:40: Nice brakes. Piano minimalist droplets, a sideways ray of overdriven tremolo light. This is turning into first class musical scenery, at least on Ancient Mariner Adrift Section's level.

1:40 – 1:56: Mmmmm. I'm considering a Listener Free Agency move. From Team Albatross to Team Spider. Let's hear the qualifying offer ...

1:56 – 2:43: James, you're quite the focking neverending source of amazement. I've never heard a rock vocalist perform such a one minute West End worthy masterclass in introspective interpretation seamlessly switching 17 different colours. Please, don't make me crank my Totally Arbitrary Vocal Pantheon open, if only for the readers' sake.

2:43 – 3:18: Epic music at its primitive core level. The heavy metal orchestration is just a cloak imposed by times and vogues, but the underlying pulse and harmonic progression are the same giving young Beethoven furious sleepless nights. 

3:18 – 3:26: Focking Megadeth? Admirable reference spectrum, Tricky Moses.

3:26 – 3:55: Now i REALLY have to go for the booklet 'cause I KNOW I just heard Fock This Whore. Are you directly talking to me, Moses? Are we pulling a Better By You Better Than Me case in sexual terms here? Oh, nevermind. Thought Disorder it is. Indeed.

3:55 – 4:30: Don't get fooled by the incredible vocals here. Kevin is the man at the rudder with that majestic background theme, wether he likes it or not.

4:30 – 5:06: The spoken samples inside the opener sounded gimmicky and trying too hard to be hip, this one focking matters in the tune's emotional economy. A cruel pied piper for the screaming whirpool of souls you can hear from 4:44 on.

5:06 – 5:45: Finally you are showing your true Floyd colours, on the Waters side I'd say. Glad you came out.

5:45 – 6:14: That Snare. That Snare is obsession's percussive portrait. I need help, of Blue Sapphire quality if possible.

6:14 – 7:17: Delicious irony. The less technical segment heard between two albums is the one coming at you with the kitchen sink and ripping your heart out.

7:17 – 8:06: So focking much for the cold impersonal technical monster. This is pure brilliant guitar instinct guided by trascendental knowledge. By the way, on a Wah Wah Emotional Efficiency Scale where 0 is Kirk Hammett and 10 is Eddie Hazel, Johnny P scores a fat 9. You see? That's why you need me here, for pointless silly info like that.

8:06 – 8:20: Well, I said so focking much for the cold impersonal technical monster. Technical monster still applies obviously.

8:20 – 8:55: Of course James had to go there, be marvellous and push me:

(first tier, no paricular order, as gods should be worshipped)

Freddie Mercury
Michael Ball
Michael Kiske
Paul Rodgers
Ted Neely
Chris Cornell
Eric Adams
Mike Patton
Colm Wilkinson
David Coverdale
Ronnie James Dio
Tommy Korberg

Who's going to make room for Big James?

8:55 – 9:36: You notice how the keyb …

“hey”

Heart attack save throw barely made

“What the fock you almost killed me.”

God she's beautiful

“What are you doing here?”

And curiosity killed the arousal. Rikki still alive though.

“Well, it's my focking house, petal. Having some sounds. Can't sleep?”

“I hear voices”

“We share quite the same loving pulsating heart, my pet. I'm listening to Voices too.”

“I hear voices downstairs, you clit-ignorant dumbfock”

9:36 – 9:53: Fock. Fock. Fock. I'm focked. Focked is me.

Coming Next: The Silent Man (featuring parents ragnarok)

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #290 on: July 04, 2018, 08:19:21 AM »
Loving it.  I would like to apply to become an In-disciple, is there an online application?  I have references....
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #291 on: July 05, 2018, 01:56:18 AM »
Done. Rat Pack Signature Habana Montecristo and Membership Ostrich Feathers Boa on their way.

The latter is gonna go splendidly with the mesmerising avatar.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: July 05, 2018, 08:24:22 AM »
Very nice installment, Frankie! I'm looking forward to the return of Drumming Dad and the sit com entanglement that is about to ensue.

[edit]

Heart attack save throw barely made

I laughed at this. Quite a lot, actually.

[\edit]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 12:33:20 PM by Podaar »

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #293 on: July 09, 2018, 08:19:16 AM »
And sit-com it is, by kind request.

Growing Pains – Season 02, Episode 06: “Friday Evening, The Blood Still on Mom's Bed.”

Or

The Silent Man

A question well served …

… “What are we doing now? You said free house!”

“Please calm down, honeybun. I'm considering knocking you out and tell Mom you're a burglar. Brilliant, innit?”

A voice never heard …

… (From downstairs, Drumming Dad) “ALESSANDRO!” (My focking name, feel free to mock me liberally and call me Alex if spelling-challenged.)

“Go make the bed, ladybug. I'm going down to stall 'em.”

“How?”

“Well, I'm still undecided between naked tap-dancing and projectile vomit pretending a possession. Any thoughts? GO MAKE THE FOCKING BED! Pretty please.”

Pray they won't ask ...

(Downstairs) “Who's upstairs, son?”

“A friend, girl, friend girl, girl friend. Where's Mom?”

“Hehe. She's parking. You have exactly 30 seconds to live. Maybe 40 because she had some wine.”

The Drumming Dad, the focking best.

Has a man been a victim …

“Weren't you supposed to stay at the beach house?”

“Aye.”

“Did Mom fight with Grampa?”

“Aye.”

“Is she mad?”

“Aye.”

“Are we ...”

“... Both focked? Aye aye, son.”

(Cratacratracrashhhhhhhhhh, from driveway.)

If he elects not to bother …

(Enter Material Mom, 50 Shades of Pissed) “Nico (Drumming Dad Slave Name), I TOLD you the driveway lights were in the way. Now YOU have to repair two of them. And the car's left headlight too.”

Running Dad: “Well, I'm going upstairs to meet the guest.” (Screeeeeech Vrooooom.)

“Hi Mom”

“Hi son. How are you …. (Crisis on Infinite Earths) … Guessssssssst?”

“Yeah, she's upst … (Mom Warp Speed Stairs) … Fock.”

Desperate to fall …

(Everybody Upstairs)

“Hello, young lady.”

“Hello, Mr. B. (Can't give you his/my surname)”

“Lovely friend you've got here, son.”

“She's delightful. By the way, Dad, could you kindly muzzle Mom? She's baring fangs and spraying territorial pheromones.”

When there is reason …

“Hello, Mrs. B.”

“Grrrrrrrrrrrryglfhwlkjlksdhfòlkhòflkhlàkhslkhskjgdjkdhgshdggliugilgliughjhk”

Oh joy, they're bonding.

When there's no answer …

“GRGRFGHHRFHHFGFGFHWhat were you two doing HERE?”

(Beethoven 5th: G G G Eb)

If there is balance …

“We were listening to some music.”

“What music?”

“Dream Theater.”

“What theater?”

“Mom, you ok?”

(Mom -  Expression: Mia Farrow by the mirror in Rosemary's Baby – taps into the Speed Force and sprints towards the bedrooms.)

If they have to suffer …

“Guys, any last wishes?”

“I can assure you, Mr. B, nothing major happened.”

Fock, I'm afraid she might mean it.

Sin without deceivers …

(Mom – Expression: Michael Douglas at the end of The Game – back)

“You were listening to music.”

Good Efficient Girlfriend#1

Smug Dad: “You were?”

Bad Drumming Dad.

I could sail by on the winds of silence ...

“Yeah! Isn't it wonderful? We were listening to music!. Can we keep listening now?”

“No, it's late. I'm driving the young lady home. And we're having some women talk.”

Goodbye forever, Girlfriend #1. We barely focked you.

But this time I think …

(Indiscipline and Drumming Dad, alone)

“Nice piece of pie, son.”

“C'mon Dad, we were just listening to the new album ...”

Do you remember the iconic movie beginning with the dog carrying a human hand in its jaws?
Enter Rikki, Kurosawa style. Same scene, a used condom instead of the hand.

“Sure. Is it any good?”

I told you, Drumming Dad, the focking best.

Oh shoot, I was forgetting the actual song.

0:00 – 0:36: Let's hear Johnny P on the acoustic, definitely a night of first times. Nice and compact, unexpectedly restrained.

0:36 – 1:11: We already know Big James can sing a parking ticket and still melt a room, but the real winner here is the eerie synth. It's moving a strumming ballad from the beach campfire to the space station.

1:11 – 1:52: And here comes the call back to the glorious climax inside Erotomania. I have almost forgotten the first two tracks by now, thank God.

1:52 – 2:16: Some serious cello and serious late acoustic Jimmy Page nuances. I knew there must have been a little bit of Zep in the guys' trunk.

2:16 – 2:26: Johnny P and the major pentatonic scale. Van Gogh and crayons.

2:26 – 2:53: Well, he can also do the Renbourn, so there. And that “swimmmmmm” is reason 568 why I love Kevin James LaBrie.

2:53 – 3:48: Splendid little tune and great relaxing ending to the suite. By the way, lyrics ARE important. Change this song's words with generic heart/love drivel and you find yourself in More Than Words / To Be With You territory.

Coming Next (after commercials): The Mirror

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: July 09, 2018, 09:32:53 AM »
“Mom, you ok?”

(Mom -  Expression: Mia Farrow by the mirror in Rosemary's Baby – taps into the Speed Force and sprints towards the bedrooms.)

If they have to suffer …

“Guys, any last wishes?”

“I can assure you, Mr. B, nothing major happened.”

Very nicely done, sir! :clap:

2:26 – 2:53: Well, he can also do the Renbourn, so there. And that “swimmmmmm” is reason 568 why I love Kevin James LaBrie.

I've always loved that bit, too. Glad I'm not the only one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #295 on: July 09, 2018, 03:41:26 PM »
“Hehe. She's parking. You have exactly 30 seconds to live. Maybe 40 because she had some wine.”

:lol  This made me laugh.

I can assure you, Mr. B, nothing major happened.”

As did this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #296 on: July 10, 2018, 01:21:04 AM »
It's nice to see how supportive were Drumming Dad and GF#1 in this extremely tense situation... Did she ever return?  :biggrin:

Always loved The Silent Man, it settles a nice mood and it's certainly the calm before the storm over the next tracks. Personally, I prefer the live arrangement with full band, but in the album's context it makes sense.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #297 on: July 11, 2018, 12:08:15 PM »
I know, I know, beloved In-Disciples (Copyright AngelBack). A 16 years old brat's sexual inadequacies are the epitome of funny. Of course, subsequent girlfriends, occasional lust recipients and wives strongly beg to disagree.

A nice caring soul asks:

It's nice to see how supportive were Drumming Dad and GF#1 in this extremely tense situation... Did she ever return?  :biggrin:

Drumming Dad was undoubtedly the evening's MVParent. He even bothered to give me The Talk, which we can roughly articulate through the following points:

A) The career and life I loved died when I had your brother. Control your leaks accordingly.
B) Take a good look to her mother. If the lady's bangable, the daughter has mileage.
C) She wants to snuggle after sex, you haven't finished your focking job.
D) Many years from now a man named Bosk will ban your arse.

Girlfriend#1 quite surprisingly lasted a couple of years, maybe longer if I hadn't left town purchasing my dreams, but she was never the same after that car trip. I'm convinced to this day that Material Mom someway changed the poor girl's brain motherboard. But that's a tale for another recap, now we prepare to look into:

The Mirror

The day after, I'm ready to resume the discovery and eager to listen to an obviously very deep and pivotal tune bearing the main object on the cover as title. I'm expecting a multilayered epic introspective piece, I'm expecting ...

0:00 – 0:14: … Focking Pantera? Tell me, Moshing Moses, what are you using the mirror for? Checking pimples or snorting blow?

0:14 – 0:37: One of the heaviest grooves ever heard tied to a haunting ethereal Elfmanish lullaby. Translating, a face and its reflection in strident opposition.

0:37 – 1:00: There! Alas too late. That Horror B-Movie Pipe Organ should have been Material Mom's Wrestling Entrance Music last night.

1:00 – 1:22: Hint#2 this song is gonna deal with the subconscious. That's the rule when you go Guitar Wah Lydian on the Low Register, or at least Steve Vai said so.

1:22 – 1:40: And three hints a proof make. The reflection has its own Lee Marvin voice.

1:40 – 1:58: Ok, I'm gonna launch a petition to save Big James' throat from this focking travesty. Can you guys please stop driving a Ducati Desmo like a dirt bike?

1:58 – 2:20: I am more than ready to acknowledge there's something horribly twisted in the way I process music, but as far as I'm concerned this section will always be Tunnel of Love Intro's Dark Twin. There I said it.

2:20 – 2:59: The level of aggression in this track is almost unbearable. I don't mean heavy musical aggression which I dig when properly executed, I mean sheer aggression to the listener's emotive balance. It's focking unsettling on Roger Waters' singing or Adrian Belew's playing levels.

2:59 – 3:21: John Lennon could materialise raging self-contempt with his voice, James Hetfield can materialise raging self-hate with his voice. Big James apparently can do both, and he can actually sing too.

3:21 – 3:44: Musicians capable of such precise oneric visualization just had to call themselves Dream Theater. The keyboards draw frightened footsteps into the mind, the spoken samples paint the crowd of disposable superficial thoughts, the guitar swells play the id's roaring rebellion, the bass depicts a heart hungry for truth, the drums ARE relentless spiritual hands peeling veils from the subconscious. I focking love music when it's focking music.   

3:44 – 4:54: Recapping this beautiful segment would be cheating since my focking Awake cd invariably used to jam on “reflections of reality” forcing me to fastskip a whole minute forward. It took me twenty years to buy a new copy, mainly because I loved to live the technical interruption as some sort of psychological node embedded in the song.

4:54 – 5:16: These can't be the same authors who composed track 3. Well, they are, but there must be some sort of conflictual creative tension after two years. If I&W was Lennon/McCartney, Awake seems to be Waters/Gilmour.

5:16 – 5:39: Erotomania had a beautiful climax section feeling like a spirit taking flight. This beautiful climax section feels like said spirit hitting the ground from 20000 feet.

5:39 – 6:16: After the crash, we resume the journey at center of a mirror image mind.

6:16 – 6:30: It seems the id won.

6:30 – 6:45: And it celebrates with Darrell low pinched harmonics and Cobain violent bends.

To this day, I still don't know whether I like(d) this song. I know it hit(s) me harder than almost anything I ever heard. I seldom listen to it, and only when I want to feel hit.

Coming Next: Lie

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: July 11, 2018, 12:42:09 PM »
Reading these installments, while listening to the song, is a bit like brushing your teeth first thing in the morning, isn't it? You're continually on the verge of gagging, but somehow you feel better when your done.

At least your ol' man had some good sense, Alice-hand-row.

Predictably, our blue-eyed crooner couldn't handle the heavy, even at an angsty 16 years of age. You should have been sixteen in the 70's bucko, we were lucky to find such heavy fair...and damned glad to get it. :getoffmylawn:

1:58 – 2:20: I am more than ready to acknowledge there's something horribly twisted in the way I process music, but as far as I'm concerned this section will always be Tunnel of Love Intro's Dark Twin. There I said it.

At least here you make perfect sense.

4:54 – 5:16:  If I&W was Lennon/McCartney, Awake seems to be Waters/Gilmour.

What the actual fock is this supposed to mean? Is that gentle put-down or a backhanded compliment?

I predict tears for our next installment...and you can tell your step-father I said so.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #299 on: July 11, 2018, 05:49:31 PM »
Predictably, our blue-eyed crooner couldn't handle the heavy, even at an angsty 16 years of age. You should have been sixteen in the 70's bucko, we were lucky to find such heavy fair...and damned glad to get it. :getoffmylawn:

Since we're time travelling,

Whoa. This is heavy.

There's that word again. "Heavy". Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the Earth's gravitational pull?

I loved and love heavy. I draw the line to the (real) big four - Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Overkill - but still. It's the song's heavy mood that kills me and fascinates me at the same time. By the way, being 16 between 1969 and 1975, also known as the best seven years stretch in band music history? Sign me up. Even if the price is eventually witnessing the birth of Punk and Disco.

What the actual fock is this supposed to mean? Is that gentle put-down or a backhanded compliment?

It was genuine surprise in genuine admiration (in what planet comparisons with Waters/Gilmour have negative nuances?). This album seemed to feature at least two separate compositional tensions without losing consistence, whereas I&W sounded more cohesive. Ironically, in hindsight, Awake is more "album-like" than I&W, which remains a majestic unrepeatable showcase.

I love this conversation, it reminds me of great ones I used to have with my brother. (Don't take offense, behind the fictional portrait he's actually a great guy).

And Alice Hand Row would be a terrific porn name.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2018, 07:29:09 PM »
I draw the line to the (real) big four - Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Overkill - but still.

Overkill?

They were wankers compared to Slayer. Hell, they OPENED for Slayer when I saw them.

Where Testament was second rate Metallica, Overkill was second rate Megadeth.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #301 on: July 12, 2018, 02:40:41 AM »
Well, call me a metal wuss, but Slayer is a bit over the top for me.

On the other hand I believe Bobby Blitz is the best vocalist in the thrash business.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: July 12, 2018, 05:19:05 AM »

It was genuine surprise in genuine admiration (in what planet comparisons with Waters/Gilmour have negative nuances?). This album seemed to feature at least two separate compositional tensions without losing consistence, whereas I&W sounded more cohesive. Ironically, in hindsight, Awake is more "album-like" than I&W, which remains a majestic unrepeatable showcase.

You're right, by itself the comparison is quite complimentary. But when it's bracketed with comments like:

0:00 – 0:14: … Focking Pantera? Tell me, Moshing Moses, what are you using the mirror for? Checking pimples or snorting blow?

1:40 – 1:58: Ok, I'm gonna launch a petition to save Big James' throat from this focking travesty. Can you guys please stop driving a Ducati Desmo like a dirt bike?

2:20 – 2:59: The level of aggression in this track is almost unbearable. I don't mean heavy musical aggression which I dig when properly executed, I mean sheer aggression to the listener's emotive balance. It's focking unsettling on Roger Waters' singing or Adrian Belew's playing levels.

To this day, I still don't know whether I like(d) this song. I know it hit(s) me harder than almost anything I ever heard. I seldom listen to it, and only when I want to feel hit.

It gave me the impression that because you loved I&W, Lennon/McCartney was therefore a compliment. Because you're not too keen on Awake, in fact you skip this song, Waters/Gilmour... well it confused me.

Given a new day, I can totally see where you're coming from. You're not the first person on this forum to be "iffy" about The Mirror. I've always loved it, probably because it was (is) such a surprise and is the one unique feature of this album. Take away The Mirror and most of what makes Awake different from the rest of the catalog evaporates, IMO.

Oh, and please... TAC as an authority on what's cool and good in metal? Don't listen to him. Kerry King wouldn't know a good guitar solo if he stepped on it, slipped and fell face first into it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #303 on: July 12, 2018, 05:39:57 AM »

Oh, and please... TAC as an authority on what's cool and good in metal? Don't listen to him. Kerry King wouldn't know a good guitar solo if he stepped on it, slipped and fell face first into it.

Old man, why don't you stick to Captain & Tenille, and Seals & Croft, and other 70's faves. Leave the 80's Metal to me thankyouverymuch.

Kerry King IS terrible.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #304 on: July 12, 2018, 05:42:47 AM »
Guys, love will keep us together.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #305 on: July 12, 2018, 06:01:35 AM »

Oh..he loves me.

I'm taking Flotsam & Jetsam anyway!

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #306 on: July 12, 2018, 06:04:48 AM »
Predicktion: During Lie, our protagonist will Lie with his little pretty again.  On bro's bed out of some need to one up him.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: July 12, 2018, 06:27:27 AM »

Oh..he loves me.

I'm taking Flotsam & Jetsam anyway!

Okay, TAC has a point about F&J

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #308 on: July 12, 2018, 06:38:40 AM »
F&J absolutely legit. Exodus were funny too, and I really have a soft spot for Nuclear Assault.

But I'm still partial to Overkill. Few things beat hearing Bobby e-lemonading things.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #309 on: July 12, 2018, 06:40:40 AM »
It’s all good. We all have a band that we are partial to.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #310 on: July 13, 2018, 06:13:41 AM »
Doo-bee doo-bee-dooo, bee-doo-bee-doo-beeee ...

I'm genuinely ecstatic these R.E.C.A.P.S. (Retro Egotistical Capers Around Past Songs) are sparking actual music discussion, and the ecstasy multiplies considering my beloved readers take precious time to dissect and question my incoherent thoughts and yet they let illegal teen-age sex slide with olympic indifference. If that doesn't mean getting the spirit of the thread, I don't know what does. Le the record show I am focking loving this gig.

Damn straight on topic, the man with the avatar I can't stop staring at asks:

Predicktion: During Lie, our protagonist will Lie with his little pretty again.  On bro's bed out of some need to one up him.

I'd love to write about that, but it would be a Lie. Banging Big Bro was one-upped the day I showed my family I could read, and his bed was no safe place for a human being to lie on anyway. Bloody hell, even I could have got pregnant on the filthy thing.

Of course, I'm giving the audience two minutes to get over nausea before diving into:

Lie

0:00 – 0:20: Sudden rocker start! Also, speaking of Lennon/McCartney, this is Hey Bulldog's main riff beefed up with a low B string and at least 8 cylinders.

0:20 – 0:40: How very Prodigy-like techno rave of you, Dr Moore. A perfect match with Big James' unusual but incredibly endearing cool cat funky attitude. 

0:40 – 0:50: Maybe I'm getting the gist of the album. While Shirley was a sonic evolutive snapshot of the 80's, Moses is trying to shape the 2000's sound focking around with 90's tools. He's the one laying down the law, after all.

0:50 – 1:10: This tune is so sexy that I'm really wishing to fulfill AngelBack's precognition.

1:10 – 1:41: Correction. This tune is so focking gloriously pissed off that I'm really wishing to fulfill Podaar's expectations about yours truly's teenage angst.

1:41 – 2:01: You can't make up this shite. I focking mention MacCartney and Mother Mary comes to me, quite contrary and riding a groove so infectious that I'm really wishing to fulfill TAC's violent musical tastes.

Am I catering too much to my audience? Damn focking right I am. Thank God I don't do social media and tech parlour tricks or I may go all treasure hunt on you.

2:01 – 2:37: Verse – Verse – Chorus - MiddleEight – Chorus. Am I witnessing a Dream Theater straight regular rock song? What next, Indiscipline making sober focking sense?

2:37 – 3:22: Thought so. Special section with special riffage and special tribal feel. Leftovertures meets Badmotorfinger and fun ensues.

3:22 – 3:42: I'm looking Califooorniaaa … and feeling Minnesoootaaa … Sorry, couldn't help it.

3:42 – 4:02: Shades of Metropolis. Wait, there's a 1973 Mustang Mach 1 turning into a 1993 Ibanez JPM7. More Than Meets The Eye.

4:02 – 4:22: If every good guitar solo is a discourse, this one is definitely a crying girlfriend telling her boyfriend to fock off.

4:22 – 4:57: I AM LIKING THIS SONG VERY MUCH. IT'S HEAVY ALLRIGHT. I AM NOT A WIMP. I tryyyyyyyy … I swear I tryyyyyy …

4:57 – 5:08: And out of the blue, Carcass, ladies and gentlemen! I swear, Dream Theater are personally focking with me at this point.

5:08 – 5:37: Ooooooh. So there is an undercover second suite in Moses' sleeves. If A Mind Besides Itself is the blueprint, I wonder whether a mellow concealed third movement is waiting among the three tracks left ...

5:37 – 6:33: Holy Twisting Fock. How can I describe this and hope to do it justice? Let's just say it's the equivalent of MJ's 63 points game at the Boston Garden in 1986. “I am the focking best at what I do, period. Fock Wolverine.”

Coming Next: The Racatac Song (Lifting Shadows off a Dream)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Scenes From My Memory - Currently Awake
« Reply #311 on: July 13, 2018, 08:20:05 AM »
Pointing out the audience, plenty of call-backs (the best kind of comedy), current references (treasure hunt) and relatable observations. This installment was like having sex on the beach. Very thrilling, slightly dangerous, with only moderate irritation afterward.

3:22 – 3:42: I'm looking Califooorniaaa … and feeling Minnesoootaaa … Sorry, couldn't help it.

I never noticed that before, but goddamn. You're right!

5:08 – 5:37: Ooooooh. So there is an undercover second suite in Moses' sleeves. If A Mind Besides Itself is the blueprint, I wonder whether a mellow concealed third movement is waiting among the three tracks left ...

Foreshadowing? Did you really think this at the time or do you Lie.

5:37 – 6:33: Holy Twisting Fock. How can I describe this and hope to do it justice? Let's just say it's the equivalent of MJ's 63 points game at the Boston Garden in 1986. “I am the focking best at what I do, period. Fock Wolverine.”

Nicely done. *golf clap*

-----------------------------------

Truly, I have a hard time separating The Mirror and Lie. For quite sometime after I bought the cassette (yes, I originally bought it on cassette) I never really looked at the track titles. I simply popped it in and listened. Months later, after I was thoroughly familiar with the album, I was watching Headbanger's Ball when the video for Lie came on. My first thought was, "Wait, where's the first six minutes of the song." My second thought was, "Where the fuck is Kevin?" My third thought was, "They yanked the end where JP goes all Jordan at the Boston Garden in '86!"

Okay, the last bit was a lie.

The point is, the two songs go together, in my mind. I love it when DT get's all nasty and metal. It makes their jazzier proggy moments really pop. You know?

Any who, nice installment. Next time you want to get frisky on the beach, Al, less sand, yo?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:38:19 AM by Podaar »

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #312 on: July 13, 2018, 08:33:00 AM »
I can't see anything in the post above and I only had orange juice and cold water, so I assume is PHP hating on me?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: July 13, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »
Yeah, I accidentally hit "post" before I was finished editing. It happens.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #314 on: July 13, 2018, 09:13:54 AM »
Pat Boone got it right:

On a day like today
We passed the crabs away
Lubed-up love matters in the sand

Foreshadowing? Did you really think this at the time or do you Lie.

It was a blatant foreLie, you got me.