Author Topic: Scenes From My Memory v. Honor Thy Father  (Read 137308 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Endless Sacrifice
« Reply #840 on: December 28, 2023, 07:34:55 PM »

B) I have successfully Tom Sawyered you guys into painting this thread fence.

Ah, I should have seen this coming! You sneaky bastard! :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #841 on: January 11, 2024, 08:43:03 AM »
So I did the math; in 13 years we have made it almost halfway through Train of Thought . . . 2 years per album . . . hopefully you guys will still be posting here in 2050 when Indiscipline posts his reactions to DT's 20th and final album  :corn:laugh:

Offline Animal

« Reply #842 on: January 12, 2024, 05:57:43 AM »
So I did the math; in 13 years we have made it almost halfway through Train of Thought . . . 2 years per album . . . hopefully you guys will still be posting here in 2050 when Indiscipline posts his reactions to DT's 20th and final album  :corn:laugh:

So in only 8 years, I'll be already reading Indiscipline thoughts on ADTOE? Can't wait :D  Anyway, being a sucker for good drama, it's really the Black Bitch story that is keeping me at the edge of my seat...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 12:30:26 PM by Animal »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #843 on: January 12, 2024, 08:26:27 AM »
Oh Dream Team, you just had to go and poke the sloth.

Honor Thy Father:

0:00 – 0:03: Which path will our heroes take? 6'o Clock or Where Eagles Dare?

0:03 – 0:14: They took Damage Inc. What a shock.

0:14 – 0:55: I'm calling this an update / transposition of Learning to Live martial opening riff to the nu young cool millennium and – at 25 – for the first time in my life I feel focking old. I must admit there is something undeniably pleasing in the guitar chunkiness though.

0:55 – 1:06: Sped up Tom Morello riffage. Interesting. No, I am serious, it is interesting. Maybe this album is starting to get its attitude right?

1:06 – 1:26: Repetition, hence The Drive:

“Nice car. A bit uncomfortable for the passenger though. Is your girlfriend ok with it?”

Now, the correct answer would have been: “Sure. if I had one she would be very comfortable with you asking that question from that very seat as well, you conniving slut.”

Alas I was 25, proud owner of a dick, and it was way more natural and satisfying to think of her as innocently compelled to be flirtatious. So the actual response was:

“Don't have one. But if you get accostumed to it by the end of the trip you may apply.”

What a douche. And a very dumb one at that.

1:26 – 1:59: I hate to repeat myself – even under stress despite of my handle – but Why The Fock Tool of All the Shitty Bands? You want to sacrify your personality on the altar of the nu fads? Be my guest, but at least try to show some good taste, for all the love we shared's sake.

1:59 – 2:19: Oh do fock off. That's it, no need for further elaboration.

2:19 – 2:37: Now that was nice, but if I were this section I would be offended for being placed amidst rubbish. And I think the Ancient Mariner should be a bit offended too.

2:37 – 2:57: Ok, I've played James' advocate so far, but at this point, if you accept to utter that “yeah”, I can't keep seeing you as just the poor mistreated loyal team player anymore; I now start to suspect you've focking lost touch with what you are and – more importantly – what you are not. Are you telling me Pantera was part of the inspiration corner but nobody actually bothered listening to Walk's most significant piece of lyrics?

2:57 – 3:18: Repetition, hence The Drive:

What I've learned about the Black Bitch during the first 150 Kms:

. She's single (Lie #1, but didn't know it yet)

. She likes Jeff Buckley and the Queens of the Stone Age (Well, could be worse, but honestly I don't give a fock: my penis is deaf.)

. She's not into show-business (Lie #2, and a big evil one at that) and she does those dancing gigs to pay for the Academy of Arts. She wants to be a painter. (Nice, another lie, and I don't give a fock anyway: my gentleman sausage is quite egalitarian regarding career choices.)

. She really is a Ann Hathaway lookalike, and that's what ultimately erased every hope I had to detect lies and unsound intent.

I was literally a lamb led to the slaughter while fancying itself a wolf on the prowl.

3:18 – 3:50: Slightly re-Tooled with.

3:50 – 4:28: A hell of a Maiden section once again. This album's leit motif so far is the irrepressible way pieces of authentic DT good music make their way through “old man at the club” crap every 2/3 minutes. 

4:28 – 4:49: Once again, Singer at the Wrong Gig.

4:49 – 5:03: Suddenly we're flashbacking right inside AcoS, and I'm just waiting for “goodbye”, and ... I won't dignify with a mention  what I got instead.

5:03 – 6:25: And in a dramatic turn of events, this part focking rips, samples and all. It makes sense, it fits the mood, it tells a story, it owns its nasty. The whole song should have been like this, and with a bit of courage – and no James involvement whatsoever – we would have got this generation's Revolution #9. Which is kinda rubbish, but respectable.

6:25 – 6:54: Ghosts 'n' Goblins, third stage.

6:54 – 7:37: … But once JM tinkers with the harmony, it suddenly becomes a brilliant piece of music.

7:37 – 7:50: I am so tired of this contrived experimentation. I mean, if you “experiment” in every direction all the time, what the fock are you actually experimenting?

7:50 – 8:09: I swear this is Beyond this Life recycling. I have a strange feeling, and it actually began with the last album; once upon a time, while listening, I could just picture the guys assembling music, now I picture them assembling minutes. Huge difference.

8:09 – 10:12: Repetition (plus small mammals rape noises) hence The Drive:

“You know, I find men who make me laugh extremely sexy, and I love Young Frankenstein, and I feel so adventurous, and it's such a lovely night, and ...”

And we never made it home.

Coming Next: 25 minutes of album redemption

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: January 12, 2024, 08:41:41 AM »
Reading this installment puts me in mind of watching Ms. Ryan faking an orgasm. I laugh, but after it's over I realized it's more from uncomfortable embarrassment than real delight.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #845 on: January 12, 2024, 09:15:19 AM »

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Honor Thy Father
« Reply #846 on: January 12, 2024, 09:19:18 AM »
 :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: January 12, 2024, 10:29:54 AM »
I'm not sure I could ever be drunk enough to really get these reviews/takedowns.

But anyway, one of my favourite Dream Theater songs, Honor Thy Father :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Animal

« Reply #848 on: January 12, 2024, 12:58:31 PM »
I'm not sure I could ever be drunk enough to really get these reviews/takedowns.
Oh Dream Team, you just had to go and poke the sloth.

Honor T
But anyway, one of my favourite Dream Theater songs, Honor Thy Father :biggrin:

Born with the right mindset (the one that is a bit like being permanently partially drunk), Indiscipline's brand of disjointed ramblings tell you more than any "serious" review could. At least in my case.

Coming Next: 25 minutes of album redemption

Looking forward to that. For some time, ToT would start with Vacant for me. Though I eventually warmed up to the first four songs too. Anyway, a great write-up today. This is the first time I am following this thread without months-long or (mostly) years-long delay. I love this forum and I have read a way more posts and threads than my meager post count might indicate, but this thread takes the crown here.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #849 on: January 12, 2024, 01:02:38 PM »
Well, I think Indi is sober now (right?)

“Don't have one. But if you get accostumed to it by the end of the trip you may apply.”

I Seriously love this  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #850 on: January 12, 2024, 01:04:37 PM »
Indi is indeed a sober old fart now. But still rambling!

nobloodyname, Animal, please do pick a drink and pull up a chair. A pleasure.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #851 on: January 12, 2024, 01:30:34 PM »
Honor Thy Father is a weird song for me. I never purposely listen to it. But when I do, I enjoy most of it (I would say 75%). But then the song is over and I don't care if I go years without listening to it again.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #852 on: January 12, 2024, 11:32:08 PM »
1:26 – 1:59: I hate to repeat myself – even under stress despite of my handle – but Why The Fock Tool of All the Shitty Bands? You want to sacrify your personality on the altar of the nu fads? Be my guest, but at least try to show some good taste, for all the love we shared's sake.

OK, now I'm offended.  :lol

But seriously, Tool's Lateralus is in my top 5 favorite albums of all time.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #853 on: January 13, 2024, 03:55:54 AM »
Nobody's perfect, Pups. I still love you!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: January 13, 2024, 05:29:12 AM »

Yeah, I've never understood Tool hate either, especially by Alex. Just the rhythmic beauty alone should do the trick. Drums, bass, guitar and vocals are all filling a complex and complementary percussive landscape. I guess the lyrical content can be bizarre, vulgar, or pretentious by turns, so maybe that's it.

Edit: Yeah, if I were to rank their albums with the rest of the music I'm interested in...my guess that AEnema, Lateralus, and Fear Inoculum would out perform every other Dream Theater album save for two.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #855 on: January 13, 2024, 05:34:41 AM »
Ironically (but a bit obviously too, see this thread) , bizarre, vulgar and pretentious lyrical content are saving graces for me.

What I really can't stomach about Tool is the complete disregard of melody.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 05:43:46 AM by Indiscipline »

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: January 13, 2024, 06:15:31 AM »
What I really can't stomach about Tool is the complete disregard of melody.

Fair dinkum. I guess I can see that from your point of view considering what I know of your tastes™ and profession.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #857 on: January 13, 2024, 06:46:16 PM »

0:00 – 0:03: Which path will our heroes take? 6'o Clock or Where Eagles Dare?

0:03 – 0:14: They took Damage Inc. What a shock.

Definitely Damage Inc., but am I the only one that is less than impressed with this drum intro. It's simply not memorable at all. Just a bunch of strokes.

0:14 – 0:55: I'm calling this an update / transposition of Learning to Live martial opening riff to the nu young cool millennium and – at 25 – for the first time in my life I feel focking old. I must admit there is something undeniably pleasing in the guitar chunkiness though.

0:55 – 1:06: Sped up Tom Morello riffage. Interesting. No, I am serious, it is interesting. Maybe this album is starting to get its attitude right?

1:06 – 1:26: Repetition, hence The Drive:

1:59 – 2:19: Oh do fock off. That's it, no need for further elaboration.

I've never been all that impressed with the opening set of riffs, and while I don't get the Tom Morello reference, I do like that part.

Yeah, the verse there is Tool-ish, and while I'm not a fan of Tool for the same reasons you aren't, this section works just fine, and yes, the next section can fock right off.

3:50 – 4:28: A hell of a Maiden section once again. This album's leit motif so far is the irrepressible way pieces of authentic DT good music make their way through “old man at the club” crap every 2/3 minutes.

Probably my favorite section of the song.

4:49 – 5:03: Suddenly we're flashbacking right inside AcoS, and I'm just waiting for “goodbye”, and ... I won't dignify with a mention  what I got instead.

This is a great and perceptive callout. I think you're dead on here.

5:03 – 6:25: And in a dramatic turn of events, this part focking rips, samples and all. It makes sense, it fits the mood, it tells a story, it owns its nasty. The whole song should have been like this, and with a bit of courage – and no James involvement whatsoever – we would have got this generation's Revolution #9. Which is kinda rubbish, but respectable.

6:25 – 6:54: Ghosts 'n' Goblins, third stage.

6:54 – 7:37: … But once JM tinkers with the harmony, it suddenly becomes a brilliant piece of music.

The song is good through these parts. I feel like the samples, while intense...they're almost too intense, especially the repeated Robards "regret" line. I'm like, enough already!

7:50 – 8:09: I swear this is Beyond this Life recycling. I have a strange feeling, and it actually began with the last album; once upon a time, while listening, I could just picture the guys assembling music, now I picture them assembling minutes. Huge difference.

Yeah, I hear you on the BTF, but I like this little flourish. Puts a little color on the palette.

8:09 – 10:12: Repetition

I wished they would have found a better transition into the final "on and on" part besides the chunkathon. I thought the BTF flourish was a perfect way to close off the instrumental section but the bars that follow it are nails in the coffin.

I'm not a fan of this song. I like some of the sections but on the whole, it's kind of a chore to get through, especially considering the subject matter which I find a bit over the top and cringingly angry. Dream Theater's secret weapon has always been James and they hang him out to dry here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #858 on: January 13, 2024, 09:56:14 PM »
The Jason Robards samples get me right in the feels because Magnolia is one of my top 5 all time favorite movies.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #859 on: January 14, 2024, 09:30:03 AM »
The Jason Robards samples get me right in the feels because Magnolia is one of my top 5 all time favorite movies.

Never seen it.  :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #860 on: January 14, 2024, 10:09:21 AM »

Never seen it.  :)
Shocking
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #861 on: January 14, 2024, 12:18:34 PM »
Is this thread for listening to DT songs chronologically and seeing how Indi breaks it down?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #862 on: January 14, 2024, 01:08:42 PM »
Is this thread for listening to DT songs chronologically and seeing how Indi breaks it down?
That plus his life story told through drunken (now sober) metaphors and hyperbole  :biggrin: Except I'm 100% sure that 100% of it is true. :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #863 on: January 14, 2024, 01:19:23 PM »
That plus his life story told through drunken (now sober) metaphors and hyperbole  :biggrin: Except I'm 100% sure that 100% of it is true. :)

Pretty much this.

I'd add 80% is true, 20% is basically true but a bit doctored to enhance novelisation.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: January 14, 2024, 04:31:32 PM »

You just blew my fucking mind.  I just mentioned in the top 100 thread that this is one of the most intense moments in DT history, and listening now, one of my favorites, fuck it's brutal.  A whole song like this.....? that honestly, would have been fucking amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: January 14, 2024, 04:33:36 PM »

Honestly, I think Alessandro's Tool takes here are a little forced.  I mean, I do get it, but I've never thought it when listening on this one.  I guess maybe because they have done it way more blatantly on other songs?

Oh, Aenima came in at number 2 on my all time top 50 albums.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: January 14, 2024, 04:35:14 PM »

This is a great and perceptive callout. I think you're dead on here.

Yes, scaringly accurate when I was listening, with that in mind, you do expect James to say 'goodbye.'  Great call.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: January 20, 2024, 10:29:01 PM »
I grew to enjoy 'As I Am', when a bunch of twentysomethings were head banging throughout a few rows in front of me in the back section of a DC concert.  I got younger upon listening to the studio version a few days later, and it was an 'I got it' moment.

I abhor the other three songs afterwards other than 'Endless Sacrifice'.  I just listened to these tracks for the first time in over fifteen years of the parts that I had not deleted, and I was 'OMG, no wonder I deleted them'.

anyhoo...  I'll touch base on 'Endless Sacrifice', which I do like and occasionally rock out to, .... except for the irritating guitar parts that are

Moments wasted <goose honk>
Isolated
Time escaping <goose honk>
Endless sacrifice
Moments wasted <goose honk>
Isolated
Time escaping <goose honk>
Endless sacrifice

Jaaayzus effin' karist, JP, this is the one song of your entire career where there are a couple of moments that I  :censored ing HATE, DESPISE, want to puke from the sounds of your guitar.

And ....it's repeated....over and over and annoyingly over again!

And again. 

Thank gawd this was the only time.

Apologies in advance.

Your mesophonic DT fan,

Mr. DragonAttack

Misophonia (or selective sound sensitivity syndrome, sound-rage) is a disorder of decreased tolerance to specific sounds or their associated stimuli, or cues. These cues, known as "triggers", are experienced as unpleasant or distressing and tend to evoke strong negative emotional, physiological, and behavioral responses that are not seen in most other people. Misophonia and misophonic symptoms can adversely affect the ability to achieve life goals and enjoy social situations. It was first recognized in 2001, though it is still not in the DSM-5 or any similar manual. For this reason it has been called a "neglected disorder".

['if one unnecesarrily whistles or jingles their keys next to me, if you don't stop, I'll punch you in the face-itis']
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 10:35:27 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #868 on: January 21, 2024, 09:17:38 AM »
Misophonia (or selective sound sensitivity syndrome, sound-rage) is a disorder of decreased tolerance to specific sounds or their associated stimuli, or cues. These cues, known as "triggers", are experienced as unpleasant or distressing and tend to evoke strong negative emotional, physiological, and behavioral responses that are not seen in most other people. Misophonia and misophonic symptoms can adversely affect the ability to achieve life goals and enjoy social situations. It was first recognized in 2001, though it is still not in the DSM-5 or any similar manual. For this reason it has been called a "neglected disorder".

I definitely have it. It's triggered by orcs, Chris Martin and Thom Yorke.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #869 on: January 21, 2024, 11:06:07 AM »
The goose honks are metal as fuck :metal

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #870 on: January 21, 2024, 08:41:54 PM »
An attempt to appeal to the nu-metal crowd.