Author Topic: Scenes From My Memory v. Honor Thy Father  (Read 137327 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. This unabridged unfiltered Dying Soul
« Reply #805 on: December 03, 2023, 09:13:10 PM »
The ending is just incredible.  I love the ferociousness or spontaneity of it.  Just all strict E minor too, so if you break it down, it's pretty simple from a musical point of view, but the intent of it just rips.  The tempo change into that section helps it too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Endless Sacrifice
« Reply #806 on: December 07, 2023, 05:52:43 AM »
Endless Sacrifice

0:00 – 0:25: Wait, somebody has swapped cd's while I was on a piss break …

0:25 – 0:50: Nope, I haven't brought along the one with crosses and puppet strings, so I guess it's time for …

0:50 – 1:17: … Welcome to where time stands still, no one leaves and no one will … Sorry, couldn't help it.

1:17 – 1:42: Say what you will about Lars Ulrich, but he was the master of keeping a simple ballad time subtly bouncing with creative footwork subdivisions, and I strongly believe Mike has a lot of that Lars in him.

1:42 – 2:07: At least for the “sleep my friend and you will see” section  a keyboard patch has been selected instead of heavy guitar palm muting, so appearances saved! Anyways, I have ten years of DT by now and I refuse to think the aesthetic mission all along was: let's course-correct Rush, then Queensryche, then Metallica. What next, A cover band album with some fan service nuggets on the side?

2:07 – 2:29: Classic emotional James clawing his way out of the mix to finally play with a worthy excellent DT chorus. 

2:29 – 2:50: Fun fact: every time I come to this part's last bar, my ears inevitably expect the bitchin' riff opening Fatal Tragedy's solo section to start. Try it and pity me, but please try it!

2:50 – 3:16: Repetition hence considerations: if I should draw any conclusions from these first three tracks' lyrics, I'd say somebody is really fed up with this whole rock band business. Personally, I would have taken a bit of a break after the glorious Live Scenes in NY party. Let's hope wisdom will be applied after the next Big Anniversary thing.

3:16 – 4:06: Now we can do it! 1, 2, 3 … Sleep my friend and you will see that dream is my reality … I'm not sorry, it was due.

4:06 – 4:28: Repetition hence considerations: has ever in this thread's history been an album that forced me to do so many Repetition hence Considerations bits? What does that say about 2003 Dream Theater? And, really, what does that say about 2023 me?

4:28 – 4:53: When DT rock, they really rock, and this bit rocks! They will always be the most overlooked great rock riffing band.

4:53 – 5:18: Uh oh, are we going Raining Blood?

5:18 – 5:30: No, just Castlevania videogame music.

5:30 – 5:43: I swear I heard this on Beyond This Life

5:43 – 5:55: I swear I heard this on A Change of Seasons

5:55 – 6:33: There's nothing to set our aim on so we're everywhere! In order we've got: a Metropolis loco bit, Jordan Circus music, a Testament riff, some LTE midi orchestral impro. I want to trust the guys and state that this chaotic piece of songwriting goes to underline the state of confusion and bewilderment expressed in the lyrics. I feel I just owe them this much.

6:33 – 6:58: Look! It's Jordan doing a Dimebag impression!

6:58 – 7:23: Look! It's Dimebag doing a Petrucci impression!

7:23 – 7:47: Look! Ditto!

7:47 – 8:07: Wonderful! This could very well be on I&W, and I suspect it is not only because Kevin was just a human being.

8:07 – 8:26: All time motherfocking riff alert! All time motherfocking riff alert! I am headbanging, hard, and I should know better than doing it while driving, since next year I will destroy this very same perfectly good Alfa GT v6 headbanging to Racer X's Let the Spirit Fly. Also, I bet Johnny M wrote this riff.

8:26 – 9:16: The licks are gorgeous, almost Maidenish. In fact, different harmony of course, but they kinda move like Afraid to Shoot Strangers (Top 10 IM song for me, by the way)

9:16 – 10:15: This song is getting suddenly great as this part is basically Pull Me Under in a blender.

10:15 – 11:23: Repetition hence SoapOperation:

“Hey, you were good.”

“wha … whe... who .. whi … eh?”

“I said you were good. Really funny.”

“Thanks!”

“ … ”

“ … “

“My face”

“Eh?”

“My face, you're staring again.”

“Idroveherealonewouldyouliketocomebackwithmeinsteadofthebus?”

“Why not?”

Coming Next: 7 years and 100000 euros lost.

Sorry, Coming Next: Honor Thy Father.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 06:02:56 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: December 07, 2023, 06:38:55 AM »

0:50 – 1:17: … Welcome to where time stands still, no one leaves and no one will … Sorry, couldn't help it.

More like, ... She always takes it with a heart of stone, 'cause all she does is throw it back to me ... I've never really been sorry about anything in my life.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 06:59:14 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #808 on: December 07, 2023, 07:21:33 AM »

More like, ... She always takes it with a heart of stone, 'cause all she does is throw it back to me ... I've never really been sorry about anything in my life.

Perfect.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #809 on: December 07, 2023, 07:49:36 AM »
2:29 – 2:50: Fun fact: every time I come to this part's last bar, my ears inevitably expect the bitchin' riff opening Fatal Tragedy's solo section to start. Try it and pity me, but please try it!

Yeah I hear it.

Honestly, Fatal Tragedy is really versatile in that way. Have you tried pairing Fatal Tragedy with another song. I can't tell you how many times Fatal Tragedy ends, "Remember that Death is not the end, but only a transition" and a random song starts and it feels like such a smooth transition.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #810 on: December 07, 2023, 07:57:33 AM »

You serious about this? You never picked on some kid when you were younger and regret it now?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: December 07, 2023, 08:15:57 AM »
It was more a play on Ale's "Sorry, I couldn't help it" schtick.

Of course I've got a few regrets, but surprisingly few, really. Guilt is a waste of energy, IMO.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #812 on: December 07, 2023, 08:16:17 AM »
Endless Sacrifice

1:17 – 1:42: Say what you will about Lars Ulrich, but he was the master of keeping a simple ballad time subtly bouncing with creative footwork subdivisions, and I strongly believe Mike has a lot of that Lars in him.

About the first part, you're not wrong.

No one was making fun of Lars until the mid 90's. He was a great drummer for Metallica as they were coming up. Lars and Mike both have style, and showmanship.

4:06 – 4:28: Repetition hence considerations: has ever in this thread's history been an album that forced me to do so many Repetition hence Considerations bits? What does that say about 2003 Dream Theater? And, really, what does that say about 2023 me?

Not sure, but they've been there. Maybe you were just less distracted by 2003 DT, or maybe 2023 You is just more discerning.

Yes! I like it!

Perhaps..

Without a doubt!!

8:26 – 9:16: The licks are gorgeous, almost Maidenish. In fact, different harmony of course, but they kinda move like Afraid to Shoot Strangers (Top 10 IM song for me, by the way)

9:16 – 10:15: This song is getting suddenly great as this part is basically Pull Me Under in a blender.

Funny you say this because from Day One, I've always referred to these two sections as the "Maiden Part", and when James comes in at 9:16, it's one of my favorite one minute sections in their entire catalog.

Oh, and I almost forgot..

..if I should draw any conclusions from these first three tracks' lyrics, I'd say somebody is really fed up with this whole rock band business.

Interesting observation. Probably deserving of its own thread. I still haven't sorted out how I'd like to respond or add or hypothesize to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #813 on: December 07, 2023, 08:27:45 AM »
It was more a play on Ale's "Sorry, I couldn't help it" schtick.

Of course I've got a few regrets, but surprisingly few, really. Guilt is a waste of energy, IMO.

So, basically. ... regrets I had a few but then again too few to mention ...

Sorry, couldn't help It.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: December 07, 2023, 08:28:39 AM »
 :rollin

Offline DTA

« Reply #815 on: December 07, 2023, 10:21:26 AM »
Endless Sacrifice is awesome, but I really wish they would've just ended it at 10:59 with the heavy chugs and gotten rid of the snare flam and everything after.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #816 on: December 07, 2023, 10:51:14 AM »
Yeah, I guess the rationale was to go full circle with the Sanitarium homage.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #817 on: December 07, 2023, 10:56:29 AM »
Endless Sacrifice is awesome, but I really wish they would've just ended it at 10:59 with the heavy chugs and gotten rid of the snare flam and everything after.

I was actually going to say that I wished Alessandro separated out the end of the vocal part and the instrumental ending. I think the instrumental ending puts an exclamation point on the song rather than ending somewhat weakly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: December 07, 2023, 07:38:54 PM »

6:33 – 6:58: Look! It's Jordan doing a Dimebag impression!

6:58 – 7:23: Look! It's Dimebag doing a Petrucci impression!

7:23 – 7:47: Look! Ditto!

All of these are scaringly accurate.  Especially the Change of Seasons one, wow. I can hear the Maiden too.

I remember the chorus getting slammed when this album came out with the band accused of going all Linkin Park style.  It's obviously aged very well though.

I've never thought of Sanitarium with the beginning.  The Michael Jackson reference was always the one I thought of but I totally hear the Metallica one.  Also, another vote for having no issues with Lars, always liked him.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #819 on: December 07, 2023, 11:34:50 PM »
I said all the way back in 1986 that Lars was the king of “I’m gonna play all loose like I don’t know what I’m doing, but then I’ll do this weird fill to find my place again, and as long as I land *ON* the beat, I can say ‘ta-dah’ and totally make it seem like I did it on purpose!”

For that reason (and Stadler will appreciate what I mean by this) I more recently have referred to Lars as “the Jimmy Page of drums”.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #820 on: December 08, 2023, 12:27:19 AM »
I said all the way back in 1986 that Lars was the king of “I’m gonna play all loose like I don’t know what I’m doing, but then I’ll do this weird fill to find my place again, and as long as I land *ON* the beat, I can say ‘ta-dah’ and totally make it seem like I did it on purpose!”

For that reason (and Stadler will appreciate what I mean by this) I more recently have referred to Lars as “the Jimmy Page of drums”.
My dad always says stuff like that about Jimmy Page.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #821 on: December 08, 2023, 04:19:42 AM »
..if I should draw any conclusions from these first three tracks' lyrics, I'd say somebody is really fed up with this whole rock band business.

Interesting observation. Probably deserving of its own thread. I still haven't sorted out how I'd like to respond or add or hypothesize to it.

Please expand on this with your take! I always thought the Great Split wasn't an event, but the end result of a long process of bad pace management starting right after Live Scenes and reaching a kind of point of no return after Score.

Yup, it's a little less casual than we may think, and I love to call it "pulling a Black Dog".

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #822 on: December 08, 2023, 06:28:33 AM »

Please expand on this with your take! I always thought the Great Split wasn't an event, but the end result of a long process of bad pace management starting right after Live Scenes and reaching a kind of point of no return after Score.

I think it is most likely, and I could be wrong, that JP and MP had psyched themselves up with the idea that they needed a "metal" album. They needed a stable of rockers that would excite crowds and swirl mosh pits. But lyrically, they just didn't have the proper angst. These were the best subjects they could come up with to go with the angry sounds they were developing... "Can't believe that guy tried to tell me how to write solos!", "Recovery from alcoholism is difficult," "I really miss my family while I'm touring around the world," "My step-dad abandoned my family," etc..

We all love DT, but you've got to admit, they're pretty nerdish. They just don't have the menace necessary to pull off much :metal

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #823 on: December 08, 2023, 10:24:51 AM »

I think it is most likely, and I could be wrong, that JP and MP had psyched themselves up with the idea that they needed a "metal" album. They needed a stable of rockers that would excite crowds and swirl mosh pits. But lyrically, they just didn't have the proper angst. These were the best subjects they could come up with to go with the angry sounds they were developing... "Can't believe that guy tried to tell me how to write solos!", "Recovery from alcoholism is difficult," "I really miss my family while I'm touring around the world," "My step-dad abandoned my family," etc..

We all love DT, but you've got to admit, they're pretty nerdish. They just don't have the menace necessary to pull off much :metal

Very fair and, as you said, most likely.

However, because I love to stir manure and pick nits, did they really need angst-ridden lyrics applied to heavy tunes in order to sound legit? Looking at the subsequent catalogue it doesn't seem the case (Never Enough being the exception, but again job-related). And, assuming they did need such kind of lyrics, wasn't - for example - their own country at war following a world-changing televised event quite the easy motherlode of angry material?

Instead they (JP actually) opted to vent very specific frustrations inside an album pretty tellingly (is it a focking word?) titled - mind you - "train of thought", not "scattered random ramblings".

I am surely reading too much into this, but if I didn't we wouldn't be talking inside this thread to begin with.     

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: December 08, 2023, 10:47:10 AM »
However, because I love to stir manure and pick nits, did they really need angst-ridden lyrics applied to heavy tunes in order to sound legit? Looking at the subsequent catalogue it doesn't seem the case (Never Enough being the exception, but again job-related). And, assuming they did need such kind of lyrics, wasn't - for example - their own country at war following a world-changing televised event quite the easy motherlode of angry material?

Instead they (JP actually) opted to vent very specific frustrations inside an album pretty tellingly (is it a focking word?) titled - mind you - "train of thought", not "scattered random ramblings".

I am surely reading too much into this, but if I didn't we wouldn't be talking inside this thread to begin with.   

To the bolded question: Not in my opinion, but they may have felt that way. I dunno. Also, in my opinion, JP's fantasy lyrical subjects work better with "da metul", although I would opine that he could have spent more time polishing them.

You make a good point about the album title coupled with the lyrical output of this specific album. I never made that connection and it could well be a foreshadowing of the plot for the next few album cycles.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #825 on: December 11, 2023, 09:43:05 AM »
What next, A cover band album with some fan service nuggets on the side?

Oh, teaser trailer for Octavarium, nice

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #826 on: December 11, 2023, 09:47:10 AM »
Well spotted, my man, and good to read you after all this time.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 09:52:16 AM by Indiscipline »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #827 on: December 13, 2023, 09:57:44 PM »
Does When Dream and Day Unite make it into this story at some point? :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #828 on: December 14, 2023, 02:47:09 AM »
I was planning it as a sort of bonus track, but with CD passing I don't know I feel comfortable enough. We'll see.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #829 on: December 21, 2023, 12:27:13 AM »
(Coming from the Astonishing thread)

If I die tomorrow
I'd be alright because I believe
That after I'm gone

wolfking could carry this on!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: December 21, 2023, 03:36:01 AM »
No way mate.  Your writeups are a class way beyond my level.  You ain't going anywhere!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #831 on: December 26, 2023, 12:25:10 PM »

Although, it seems the regularly scheduled programming is on hiatus?  :biggrin:

So, not like anyone probably cared or noticed, but I never did participate in either of the iterations of this (2010 or 2018) for a variety of different reasons.  I lurked with a couple posts, but regrettably never had the time to get back around to re-starting back from the beginning.  By participating in the Top 100 list (also something I never did before), I ended up hitting the play-by-play of The Great Debate as I was listening through my Top 25 songs, and decided to sync up the posts on Disappear and 6DOIT with my listening of those tunes.

Naturally, the next step was to apologize to (and beg forgiveness from) our host for not smashing the like button on this thread, and then go back to where it all began.  I've now made it through the I&W and Awake carnage, and am holding for the moment at Scene 04: Through My Galoshes (ACoS).

It is not my intention to derail and rewind the thread by 13 or 5 years, but there were some moments I had to capture some thoughts.  I'm not going to create a Stadler-esque quote pyramid, but did want to contribute.  Who knows, maybe some want to relive some of those mammories with little Shirley and Rock-Spider Moses

It's Christmas Eve morn, and any day is a good day to dedicate some time to my #1 Italian DTF'r album of all time.

Pull Me Under - Hardcastle & McCormick had the best 80s sports car on TV.  KITT was a pussy; KARR was a sociopath

Another Day - and here I was hoping that "Eric" was Eric Martin

Take The Time - This is the DT song that was my sonic equivalent of eating mango (Tim, that's a Seinfeld reference).  Did you know that Lerxst actually did reference "new bands like Dream Theater" back in the early 90s in some interview, which (IIRC) was in the bonus footage from the Beyond The Lighted Stage DVD?

Surrounded - ironically, as I was listening to this while reading along on Christmas Eve morning, I too had to see a man about a horse before launching into Metropolis.  After inspecting the horse, I realized I needed to drop the kids off at the pool.  This would easily be the best song 8 other DT albums, imo.  At this point in my listening experience, I had now idea how they could top that 1-2 combination of ToT and Surrounded.  And then …

Metropolis Pt1. - I don't know which left me speechless (and apparently type-less) ... the song, or the writeup.  It apparently did the same to Indi - creating a 7.5 year disappearing act.  Helluva mic drop!

Under a Glass Moon - what, no Hardcastle & McCormick after the slap by Boy Band Sister?  4:37-5:36.  Under A Glass Lutjanus (look it up on YT - it's just too bad the audio is shyte).  One of the (if not, THE) best JP guitar solos in the discography, imo.

Wait For Sleep - never have I listened to this song four times in a row.  FFS, how did I never know this was the Words to the Images (cover of the album)?!?!?  Great, now I have to rank this higher in my Top 100.  And to tie it back to Finally Free??  *chefs kiss*  This 'scene' was wholly under-rated, and imo, the most enlightening of the eight.

Learning to Live - at least we had one final sound-pearance of H&M licks.  A virtually flawless tune there's just too much to highlight, but the four beat guitar chords at 4:20 (ooohhh... nugget), and again 4:32 for some reason just gives me chills every time.  It's just one of those strange moments that just clicks more than it should.

I'll pause before sharing my impressions of old Moses - I apparently had a lot more to say on that one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #832 on: December 26, 2023, 01:27:01 PM »
*celebrates*

Fiiiiiinaaaaally The Chad is come to ...

Wait

Really?

You actually managed to mention the words "regularly", "scheduled", and "programming" in association with this thread? Brave words indeed.

I may even wait for you to catch up once I'm done with Bad Trip/Black Bitch. (and running Roulette #3)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #833 on: December 26, 2023, 02:10:19 PM »

I may even wait for you to catch up once I'm done with Bad Trip/Black Bitch. (and running Roulette #3)
Oh no! Chad, what have you done!?!?  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: December 26, 2023, 04:37:26 PM »

I'm on vacation until next Tuesday.  I can hammer out one a day, and be done before the end of the year, and then in sync with the ToT/Black Bitch postings.  I mean, I've done 2 in the last 3 days, and already covered 1/2 of 6DOIT 2 weeks ago.  So really, I only have ACOS (which I might be able to do tonight), and then 2.5 albums.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #835 on: December 26, 2023, 05:43:29 PM »

I'm on vacation until next Tuesday.  I can hammer out one a day, and be done before the end of the year, and then in sync with the ToT/Black Bitch postings.  I mean, I've done 2 in the last 3 days, and already covered 1/2 of 6DOIT 2 weeks ago.  So really, I only have ACOS (which I might be able to do tonight), and then 2.5 albums.

Seems like your roulette is a memory..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: December 26, 2023, 05:54:09 PM »

Seems like your roulette is a memory..

A scene from a memory?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: December 28, 2023, 06:55:01 AM »
I'll be playing along with FII momentarily, but wanted to chime in with some thoughts on Awake...

"playing Parkinson Jenga on a plane driven by Stevie Wonder."  I nearly pissed myself laughing - maybe because I first read it as "Parkinson Jenna", and was picturing a spastic Ms. Jameson

I'm now resigned to only doing this while drunk - though, it only takes a double to get me a hangover these days, so I may downgrade that to 'tipsy'. 

And yet, here I am at the ass-crack of dawn on Boxing Day with a cup of coffee newly minted in my Thor coffee mug (Christmas present).
<Edit... and here I am on Dec 28th at 8am drinking coffee while about to fire up FII :lolpalm:>

6:00 - oh sweet baby Jesus, the Winter Rose reference made my morning.  I also blame grunge - but there is only a dash of grunge in this album.  With the benefit of nearly 30 years now, I prefer the comparison that this album is to Images and Words as Slave to the Grind is to Skid Row.  I can dig this song; the next two however …

<to play along with the comments… the 1st few songs of Awake was a big ass WTF for me.  I'd discovered DT in late '96, so I snatched all  of the first four albums on the shelves, so I was already in a state of bliss that I was (other than Queensryche) ostensibly discovering Prog Metal for the first time.  And I concur with Tim (sacre bleu!)… Awake starts with Erotomania.  Boy I wish I had a Bowmore Gold poured atm.

Caught in a Web … and since I can spotlight the fuck out of songs in this thread, here's the lowest ranking song on the album for me - barely cracking my DT Top 100, primarily because WHAT FUCKING LANGUAGE IS JAMES SINGING IN was uttered aloud 4 times too many (and still is to this day).  I can't heal the wounds in my ears.

Innocence Faded… my biggest disappointment in this song is that *it* was the represented song from Awake on Score.  But at least they dropped the 'grunge' vibes from the first two tracks.  0:30… the reprise of the Hardcastle&McCormick still couldn't salvage this song, and the world salad of barely English lyrics @2:00.  Even the Beyonder couldn't make sense of those lyrics without the liner notes.  Never would I have expected a Decadence Dance reference in any scene from your memory :tup  The outro is the only thing that elevates this song out of mediocrity. 

<and fock me, I'm lock step with Tim again thru the first 3 songs of the album - except for the well-aged / 'sneaky good' part of IF>

A Mind Beside Itself … and now we jump forward about 70 spots in our countdown - 71 to be precise.
Eurotomania… this is when I knew all was right in DT-Land  In fact, better than alright.
Voices … the 'boomerang' guitar at 1:26 gives me goosebumps every … damn … time.  2:43 -  it moved.  And God bless you for the Wilkinson inclusion in your Pantheon
The Silent Man … Well fock me.. Now I need to revise my placement of this song on the Top 100 - but, I just submitted it.  Never noticed the JP (Zeppelin) influence in here before.  Totally fits on Zeppelin III though, not the later stuff (imo).  Also, fock More Than Words and To Be With You - worst ballads ever (if not for Love Bites).

The Mirror / Lie … they lost the plot with me here (or maybe I lost the plot with them?).  I was never into the more 'thrashy' side of 80s/90s METAL (ie, Pantera, Megadeth, Anthrax and the like) - I suppose these are the origins of my soft cockery.  I've grown to appreciate these two tracks over the years - Mirror>>>>Lie.  For me, Lie is ruined by the 2 minutes before the solo outro.

Lifting Shadows… completely unoffensive (as Ruslan would say nowadays), while also giving the listener a nice warm hug.

Scarred… before I even start to follow along with Indi's memory, I just gotta say to hell with Blob and Kev (and any other Scarred hater), this is the song of the album, and (insert hot take here) better than the best of I&W.  The passage leading up to "It calms me to know that I woooooooooon't" > the passage leading up to "Whoa Whooaa Whooooooaaa"  Come at me.  The comparisons are NOT blasphemy.  They're warranted.  I wouldn't say I thought this back when first listening to it, but this song continued to get better with every passing listen, and still does to this day.  Oh, and The Usual Suspects is my #2 Movie of All Time.

<Fock me once again… I'm in perfect alignment with Tim's ranking of Scarred>

Space-Dye Vest…. I never understood the hate for this tune.  I always thought it was an incredibly unique, well written, well performed melancholic ballad.  Given what we know about the state of the band (and Kevin's lack of space in it), it's a great end to the KM-era.  And now I want to re-rank this one.

And yes... Mike's lyrics from Raise the Knife became the biggest slice of hypocritical irony in 2010.  I never thought about or realized it until I read Tim posting those stanzas.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 11:10:30 AM by jingle.boy »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #838 on: December 28, 2023, 10:59:58 AM »
I can't say what makes me prouder:

A) Chad realising he agrees with Tim

B) I have successfully Tom Sawyered you guys into painting this thread fence.

Jokes aside, keep up the great summaries!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: December 28, 2023, 11:26:13 AM »
Lifting Shadows… completely unoffensive (as Ruslan would say nowadays)

I said it once! Well, maybe twice. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.