Author Topic: Scenes From My Memory v. Honor Thy Father  (Read 137306 times)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Six Degrees Suite from I to IV
« Reply #735 on: November 14, 2023, 03:13:43 PM »
Of course.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: November 14, 2023, 03:16:24 PM »
Looks like I have a page and a half of quality to try and catch up on.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #737 on: November 14, 2023, 03:21:52 PM »
You honour me, mate.

Afraid I can't grant Lube in the Face levels of quality, but please have a cuppa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: November 14, 2023, 03:26:08 PM »
You honour me, mate.

Afraid I can't grant Lube in the Face levels of quality, but please have a cuppa!

Let me put some time aside in my work calender for you.  I'll have a long black, extra strong.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #739 on: November 14, 2023, 03:30:02 PM »
With wristbands?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: November 14, 2023, 03:34:37 PM »
Shit.....I wonder if my customers and staff want to listen to 6D today....hmm...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: November 14, 2023, 03:35:12 PM »
With wristbands?

Of course.  And a Fillet-O-Fish on the side.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #742 on: November 15, 2023, 01:12:23 PM »
Let's finish this song up, Alessandro. I feel like I'm waiting for a colonoscopy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #743 on: November 15, 2023, 02:10:42 PM »
I'm putting the gloves on as we speak.

I'm between Shell and Reprise, so I guess we can bend over around my midnight, more or less.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Six Degrees Suite
« Reply #744 on: November 15, 2023, 04:47:47 PM »
A promise is a colonoscopy is a promise

V: Goodnight Kiss:

0:00 – 0:55: THAT, my dear friends, was a pretty proper outro-to-intro transition. They know how to work'em, hell, they can crap'em out on command, hence it's really puzzling when they don't. Fun fact: About to Crash ends with an Eb chord choosing to descend a half step to an ominous Dbm; what if it bravely chose to go a half step up to a E7, the perfect dominant for Goodnight Kiss' first chord? (Amaj7, I suspect with 9th spices) Alas, we'll never know.

0:55 – 1:23: That's what I like: James surfing on a nice phaser and lavender in my bed. We can have nice things.

1:23 – 1:51: I never tire of this melody and progression. I don't know why, but it's very reminiscent – without nicking anything – of Bohemian Rhapsody.

1:51 – 2:19: Tie him to the piano! Tie him to the piano! Such a tasty painting of gentle droplets, with distant thunder echoing, courtesy of Mighty Mike. It's focking Dream Theater when they plant pictures in your mind; we can leave the heavy posturing and ultra speed masturbation to Nightmare Cinema.

2:19 – 3:14: Not really a repetition, but still worth some considerations: this verse to chorus sequence may be DT in their perfect Dark Side of the Moon (which I suspect they were set to replicate here, but more on that later): pace, space, mood, the whole nine yards. Also, Johnny M bass lines are literally to cry for. What a focking artist of a human being(?).

3:14 – 3:42: Supertramp territory, surprisingly and in a good way.

3:42 – 4:42: Confession time, no jokes. I didn't talk until I was about 3; I knew the words and I was capable to learn what I heard (or so I'm told), I just didn't spit them out. My parents were scared shitless (there was no general knowledge about people on the spectrum – it turned out I'm not, but still - in the seventies), then I was allowed to cock around with grandad's piano and everything came out at once, with copious amounts of tears. Since then music speaks to me bypassing words and meaning, and some pieces bring me to tears before I even manage to dissect the musical score taking form inside my mind while listening. Rock tunes' specific melodies that manage to do that: Starless lick, Fool on the Hill chorus, Fifth of Firth guitar solo, this whole section.

4:42 – 5:39: Johnny P Satching on a groove, 15 years before A New Beginning. Precognitions aside, nice piece of songwriting as the sweetest melody ever is followed by a menacing stomp, just like deranged minds are often capable of both showing the purest feelings of human nature and scare you shitless on a dime.

5:39 – 5:58: IF YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR MEAT, YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR PUDDING!

5:58 – 6:17: (Let's pretend I don't know where this is going to) Wherever this is going to, THIS is a focking proper prog transition.

VI: Solitary Shell:

0:00 – 0:16: I can help it, but I have to: Climbing up on Solsbury Hill, I could see the city lights ...

0:16 – 0:33:
Jordan's signature solo? Solitary Shell's opening.

Straight and to the point yet melodically gorgeous and a clever wink to the '70s prog keyboards/moog tradition.

0:33 – 1:07: Evidence #45 the guys are at their songwriting zenith: every ¾ bar is followed by a 4/4 bar, suggesting a normality cyclically and hopelessly crippled, while the vocal line stealing a 1/8 on the upbeat every time shows the desperate struggle to compensate. Sorry for being somehow musically pedantic, but music is important: it's the only thing we made comparable to divine creation.

1:07 – 1:26: Nice little middle-eight. Nobody does middle-eights anymore. The Beatles did in spades and ruined it for everybody apparently.

1:26 – 2:04: Three things I will never understand:

1. Girls going to the restroom together
2. Snowboarding
3. How we managed to create a world where this song (and We All Need Some Light) aren't massive global radio hits.

2:04 – 2:14: Of course, leave it to Mike to perform a fill that is not a fill from, to, or between anything. Just a spontaneous burst of drumming emotion. If you think it's gratuitously random, please cut it from the song and see what happens.

2:14 – 3:45: Repetition (a big one, but we're obviously gunning for radio hit classic structure here) hence considerations: Jordan plays magic, Johnny P exhudes taste, Mike sweats genius, James is comfortably charming (the focking way he sings the last “he was fine” is gut-wrenching), yet this is absolutely Johnny M's song. Listen carefully. It's subtle, it's camouflaged, but such is the way of the ninja.

3:45 – 3:58: The most random comparison in this thread to date: Attack on Dollet, FFVIII OST, by Nobuo Uematsu, about one minute in. Do you see the aural cognitive hell I'm living in?

3:58 – 4:24: This, this right here, is the exact centre of The Compass.

4:24 – 5:21:

“Hello, dad?”

“Jesus Christ! Do you know what time is?”

“Almost, it's Ale, and it's 2 in the morning ...”

“God, why the law prohibiting vasectomy was abrogated only in 1978?”

“ I said it's Ale. Check this ...”

“... You call me to make me listen to Al DiMeola, Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea and Steve Gadd?”

“tsk tsk tsk”

5:21 – 5:47:

“Oh, it's your guys, innit?”

“Yeah”

“Good. Can you please fock off now before Margaret Thatcher wakes up?”

“At once!”

VII: About to Crash (Reprise):

0:00 – 0:49: This is not jarring, this is cinematically and intentionally motherfocking turbocharging. There is a difference.

0:49 – 1:15: I've heard hundreds of fans whining about James flirting with the cringe here. You know what I never heard but should have? Millions of people gushing about the monstrous bass world domination Johnny M is performing. Be truthful, have you ever noticed?

1:15 – 1:57: Sorry, but these ideas where well worth a whole new song/mental condition. Isn't that awfully obvious? Ditch the pretentious Overture, make sense of War's and Test's best bits, turn this one into, I don't know, My Uncle Is Hyper, give up the long gong, et voilà: you have 6 nifty degrees sans bloat in a tidy ACOS-ish running time. My treat, boys, really.

1:57 – 3:00: Simply put, a Liquid Tension Experiment session, Levin and all,  transplanted into DT's catalogue. Nothing wrong with that.

3:00 – 3:18: She crashed on the Bells of Notre-Dame!

3:18 – 3:36: She found a piece of Fatal Tragedy lying on the floor!

3:36 – 4:04: Sorry, you fool no one. This is a preposterous attempt to pretend War Inside My Head was an organic planned part, while it's clear to all and sundry it was just the answer to: “This is all so mellow, we need to seduce Pantera fans, dammit! If I can't have girls at my show at least I demand mosh pits!”.

VIII: Losing Time / Grand Finale:

0:00 – 0:17: Please let it be ternary, let it be ternary, let it be ternary …

0:17 – 0:33: YES! Everything works smoother in three. Shooting basketball, marriages, DT music. Everything.

0:33 – 1:07: Remember The Compass? I think we've just touched the Journey border.

1:07 – 1:40: Seriously, I may be tripping now, but the beautiful Picardy third (i.e. Flipping a minor melody into a major one right at phrase's end by virtue of raising the third) carried by the vocal harmony – and underlined by the band – is the perfect portrait of an elusive self-deluded sense of bliss in desperate circumstances. Pity me, I say, pity me!

1:40 – 4:10: I could write a lot about this section (and the little well hidden Also Sprach Zarathustra nod), but I won't. I will only type Kevin focking James LaBrie. Also, be very careful what you wish for, you ungrateful unrespectful unsympathetic detractors: no Phil Anselmo, Russell Allen or whoeverthefock could ever bring this tune home this way, not in a million lifetimes.

Right, I promised an Overture analysis, but I realised I scattered all my points through the timestamp paragraphs. The heart of the matter is – beautiful as it may be -  it represents an unnecessary bloated ballast of contrivance bestowed to an otherwise brilliant suite idea, undressing every sterile laboratory intervention underneath.

I get it, someone said: let's have ourself our Dark Side of the Moon, because we're the focking Stanley Kubrick/Quentin Tarantino of rock and we must re-invent every milestone. Too bad Pink Floyd never coldly decided to make a DsotM (or to have their version of Sgt Pepper), it came together through songs and ideas. Heck, they never “decided” to make I&W, they just made it. Jesus Christ wasn't a Christian, he just had ideas and the label came centuries later. See where I'm going?

This album, which could have been really an all-time great, is the start of DT gimmick albums, where decisions are made pre-production and the creative process must jump through self-imposed “our due place in rock history” hoops instead of flowing free and brewing with patience. It's a very slippery slope that will lead to their worst album ever, but this is a story for another post.

COMING NEXT: “Let's make Master of Puppets!”
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 04:38:53 PM by Indiscipline »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Disappear
« Reply #745 on: November 15, 2023, 05:20:09 PM »
Saturday night is all right for rambling (and for the Rat Pack to catch up) about:

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - yep, the whole “let's pull a 2112 structure with a kinda Dark Side of the Moon concept” she-bang, starting with just the first four slices because bosk isn't paying overtime:

I.Overture:

Not now. First off, overtures are fully enjoyed only after listening to the actual movements they're preluding to, and I already knew it was going to be beautiful, symphonic … and wrong (I will elaborate on the whole thing at suite's end, enjoy the cliffhanger). A funnier use for this paragraph would rather be sharing with you fine gents and miladies where yours truly was at the time of this hearing*: I got the job I wanted, i.e. Musical theater performer (soon to be director), mostly on the comedic spectrum, aka the only possible way I can function in the current multiverse. The implications are quite significant:

1. The only way I could make a living in this world and sleep at night (or day) was bringing music and laughter to people, with no possibilty of hurting/exploiting a living soul. I'm not judging, just stating the way I'm wired.
Maybe it stems by being the offspring of a critical catholic artist dude and a fervent communist professor lady, I don't know.

2. It gave me an audience, an outlet for my attention whoring, and a strong appreciation of my private sphere, hence saving me from the (dawning at the time) social network epidemic, also known as The Fifth Horseman of Apocalypse: The On Getting The Job Done.

3. It gave me the gift of the Tour Bus, that is free hours upon free hours dedicated to listening to / philosophising about music and other amenities (cue the Black Bitch, among others). Heck, 85% of this thread has been written on a bus or a plane/airport.

*I know I promised the Black Bitch, but let's save the dark flawed enchantress for the dark flawed album.

Alright, it was a long-winded enough Overture. Let's get to

II. About to Crash:

0:00 – 0:24: This is the perfect warm welcoming piano to lubricate my attention into this suite. The perfect balance between cunning sophistication and salt of the earth familiarity. It's a piano lick standing between Billy Joel and the Cheers opening theme.

0:24 – 0:34: And this, for my wimpy pussy ears, is the perfect amount of operational distortion for DT music, no matter the style they're playing with. Clarity and grace.

0:34 – 0:56: Jordan winking at the prog classics, chapter 46: the Lucky Man moog. I love where this is going.

0:56 – 1:18: It takes a village to write cool and jumpy rock riffs, or DT with their most criminally overlooked habit. Plus, when the ship is sailing on the hard rock sea, and not capsizing on the metal waves, correct use of James occurs. Coincidence?

1:18 – 1:50: Criminally overlooked DT habit, part deux: the ability to write great choruses without easy hooks. Sadly, the boys' songwriting prowess will always be overshadowed by their technical proficiency. They're the MJ of prog: all the buckets and records make you forget he's been the best defender in the game south of Bill Russell.

1:50 – 2:01: Van Hagar riffage, circa For Unknown Carnal Knowledge? Fascinating.

2:01 – 2:23: Mike Portnoy literally Walking on the Moon

2:23 – 2:45: I don't care Jordan Rudess is the best keyboardist in the world, he should be tied to a Steinway and forced to fill every song with piano goodness. So good. You can hire Sherinian back for synths and organs for all I care, but Jordan stays on the piano. Ok, with a minimoog on his lap.

2:45 – 2:56: Holy Brian May, Johnny P! Actually there's a May wink in every DT album. Last time was on One Last Time.

2:56 – 3:22: Repetition, hence considerations: I will repeat this until I turn blue or until every album stops confirming it: DT is at its best north of Queen, south of Iron Maiden, west of Yes, east of Journey. The compass is clear, boundaries should never be crossed, there's room enough to experiment inside.

3:22 – 3:35: There is odd time, instinctive odd time, and odd time to show off. This is odd time with storytelling purpose. 5/8 is the harshest odd time feeling you can get (the missing beat is extremely close in ear memory to the leading one), the signature whispering to every listener, no matter education, that “something ain't working properly”. In this song there could not be a better way to suggest the other shoe is going to drop. 

3:35 – 3:53: Let's everybody celebrate the birth of Prog Rock Tango

3:53 – 4:19: As usual, when DT respects The Compass, Big James is focking on like a don.

4:19 – 4:49: Not note for note, but feel for feel, this is Voices solo sans wah. I hope it makes sense.

4:49 – 5:51: As close to Gilmour as you can get before burning your wings, and absolutely the best bunch of bars of the album so far.

III. War Inside My Head:

0:00 – 0:15: Fock-a-Spock, almost failed a heart attack saving throw here. Sure, last tune had a nice outro and this one's got a nice intro, but you definitely need transitions between intros and outros too.

0:15 – 0:42: According to The Compass (almost trademarked at this point) this is a quintessential on the border DT metal feel. Approved. See? It works.

0:42 – 0:56: Nonetheless, James will never, ever, be a metal singer. On a sidenote, nice sped up For Whom the Bell Tolls riff, everybody.

0:56 - 1:25: … And just to screw with the paragraph above, that was a bonafide Awake scream. Whaddafock do I know?

1:25 – 2:08: Repetition, hence considerations: I understand and appreciate the need for some speed and weight at this point – hell, I like it even – but this song is so blatantly rushed and skimmed through that it feels (as Overture analysis will partially reveal) like something that “had to be there” rather than an organically sowed & reaped piece of music.

IV: The Test That Stumped Them All:

0:00 – 0:25: Again, really? Sure, last tune had a nice transition and this one's got a nice transition, but you definitely need transitions between transitions and …. well, transitions. I told ya, rushed. Probably in fear to piss off the cool heavy metal kids.

0:25 – 0:45: A little bit thrashy, but still inside The Compass, therefore …

0:45 – 1:05: … James holds his focking own, my friends.

1:05 – 1:26: More than holding his own, he performs some vintage Caught in a Web muscular belting. Impressive.  Oh, and before I forget … Darkness, imprisoning me, all I can see, absolute horror … Sorry, couldn't help it.

1:26 – 1:40: As close to The Wall as you can get before burning your The Trial.

1:40 – 2:55: Repetition, hence considerations: never good when repetition/considerations occur for a whole focking minute and in consecutive songs. There is a saving grace though: Portnoy echoing the machine gun riff at first with Portnoy cymbals, then with Portnoy toms. Genius simplicity. 

2:55 – 3:59: The most formulaic and uninspired solos in Johhy P's and Jordan's career. Just speed up and down a scale. This whole song ( as Overture analysis will partially reveal) screams filler.

3:59 – 5:03: Nice War Pigs slow section mood ruined by a keyboard fat fly buzzing around. WIMH referenced Bell Tolls, here we have One and War Pigs. Nice, too bad while rushing they forgot between songs the theme has shifted from war to mental institutionalisation.

I only wanted my Pepsi.

Coming Next: well, the rest.

This was fun to listen and read along to.  A few points from my end;

* I never care for any Overtures, (except 1928).  9/10 I struggle to pick up on the corresponding pieces, probably because I just don't care enough about them to pay close enough attention.

* Reading the word 'lubricate' straight off the bat certainly made me chuckle considering this was posted 3 days before the 'lube in the face' fiasco.

* About to Crash is really a glorious 6 minutes of beautiful prog rock done ever so right.  I would have never picked up the Brian May reference but I certainly hear it.

* I'm not that mad with the transitions, but I certainly know what you mean, they are pretty clunky.  One of the reason why I never really thought of 6D as a single song, it's too disjointed.  So.....I guess I actually am pretty mad with them ha!  WIMH is a cool piece but does feel like an extra something just thrown in just because.

* I always enjoyed TTTSTA.  Very Metallica as you pointed out but I like James on this one.  Interesting take on the solos too.  I can't hear the War Pigs thing though.

On to the second half.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: November 15, 2023, 05:44:07 PM »
A promise is a colonoscopy is a promise

0:00 – 0:55: THAT, my dear friends, was a pretty proper outro-to-intro transition. They know how to work'em, hell, they can crap'em out on command, hence it's really puzzling when they don't. Fun fact: About to Crash ends with an Eb chord choosing to descend a half step to an ominous Dbm; what if it bravely chose to go a half step up to a E7, the perfect dominant for Goodnight Kiss' first chord? (Amaj7, I suspect with 9th spices) Alas, we'll never know.

0:55 – 1:23: That's what I like: James surfing on a nice phaser and lavender in my bed. We can have nice things.

1:23 – 1:51: I never tire of this melody and progression. I don't know why, but it's very reminiscent – without nicking anything – of Bohemian Rhapsody.

1:51 – 2:19: Tie him to the piano! Tie him to the piano! Such a tasty painting of gentle droplets, with distant thunder echoing, courtesy of Mighty Mike. It's focking Dream Theater when they plant pictures in your mind; we can leave the heavy posturing and ultra speed masturbation to Nightmare Cinema.

2:19 – 3:14: Not really a repetition, but still worth some considerations: this verse to chorus sequence may be DT in their perfect Dark Side of the Moon (which I suspect they were set to replicate here, but more on that later): pace, space, mood, the whole nine yards. Also, Johnny M bass lines are literally to cry for. What a focking artist of a human being(?).

3:42 – 4:42: Confession time, no jokes. I didn't talk until I was about 3; I knew the words and I was capable to learn what I heard (or so I'm told), I just didn't spit them out. My parents were scared shitless (there was no general knowledge about people on the spectrum – it turned out I'm not, but still - in the seventies), then I was allowed to cock around with grandad's piano and everything came out at once, with copious amounts of tears. Since then music speaks to me bypassing words and meaning, and some pieces bring me to tears before I even manage to dissect the musical score taking form inside my mind while listening. Rock tunes' specific melodies that manage to do that: Starless lick, Fool on the Hill chorus, Fifth of Firth guitar solo, this whole section.

4:42 – 5:39: Johnny P Satching on a groove, 15 years before A New Beginning. Precognitions aside, nice piece of songwriting as the sweetest melody ever is followed by a menacing stomp, just like deranged minds are often capable of both showing the purest feelings of human nature and scare you shitless on a dime.

5:58 – 6:17: (Let's pretend I don't know where this is going to) Wherever this is going to, THIS is a focking proper prog transition.

0:00 – 0:16: I can help it, but I have to: Climbing up on Solsbury Hill, I could see the city lights ...

Straight and to the point yet melodically gorgeous and a clever wink to the '70s prog keyboards/moog tradition.

0:33 – 1:07: Evidence #45 the guys are at their songwriting zenith: every ¾ bar is followed by a 4/4 bar, suggesting a normality cyclically and hopelessly crippled, while the vocal line stealing a 1/8 on the upbeat every time shows the desperate struggle to compensate. Sorry for being somehow musically pedantic, but music is important: it's the only thing we made comparable to divine creation.

1:07 – 1:26: Nice little middle-eight. Nobody does middle-eights anymore. The Beatles did in spades and ruined it for everybody apparently.

2. Snowboarding
3. How we managed to create a world where this song (and We All Need Some Light) aren't massive global radio hits.

2:04 – 2:14: Of course, leave it to Mike to perform a fill that is not a fill from, to, or between anything. Just a spontaneous burst of drumming emotion. If you think it's gratuitously random, please cut it from the song and see what happens.

2:14 – 3:45: Repetition (a big one, but we're obviously gunning for radio hit classic structure here) hence considerations: Jordan plays magic, Johnny P exhudes taste, Mike sweats genius, James is comfortably charming (the focking way he sings the last “he was fine” is gut-wrenching), yet this is absolutely Johnny M's song. Listen carefully. It's subtle, it's camouflaged, but such is the way of the ninja.

3:45 – 3:58: The most random comparison in this thread to date: Attack on Dollet, FFVIII OST, by Nobuo Uematsu, about one minute in. Do you see the aural cognitive hell I'm living in?

“Hello, dad?”

“... You call me to make me listen to Al DiMeola, Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea and Steve Gadd?”

“tsk tsk tsk”

“Yeah”

“At once!”

0:00 – 0:49: This is not jarring, this is cinematically and intentionally motherfocking turbocharging. There is a difference.

0:49 – 1:15: I've heard hundreds of fans whining about James flirting with the cringe here. You know what I never heard but should have? Millions of people gushing about the monstrous bass world domination Johnny M is performing. Be truthful, have you ever noticed?

1:15 – 1:57: Sorry, but these ideas where well worth a whole new song/mental condition. Isn't that awfully obvious? Ditch the pretentious Overture, make sense of War's and Test's best bits, turn this one into, I don't know, My Uncle Is Hyper, give up the long gong, et voilà: you have 6 nifty degrees sans bloat in a tidy ACOS-ish running time. My treat, boys, really.

1:57 – 3:00: Simply put, a Liquid Tension Experiment session, Levin and all,  transplanted into DT's catalogue. Nothing wrong with that.

3:00 – 3:18: She crashed on the Bells of Notre-Dame!

3:18 – 3:36: She found a piece of Fatal Tragedy lying on the floor!

3:36 – 4:04: Sorry, you fool no one. This is a preposterous attempt to pretend War Inside My Head was an organic planned part, while it's clear to all and sundry it was just the answer to: “This is all so mellow, we need to seduce Pantera fans, dammit! If I can't have girls at my show at least I demand mosh pits!”.

0:00 – 0:17: Please let it be ternary, let it be ternary, let it be ternary …

0:17 – 0:33: YES! Everything works smoother in three. Shooting basketball, marriages, DT music. Everything.

0:33 – 1:07: Remember The Compass? I think we've just touched the Journey border.

1:07 – 1:40: Seriously, I may be tripping now, but the beautiful Picardy third (i.e. Flipping a minor melody into a major one right at phrase's end by virtue of raising the third) carried by the vocal harmony – and underlined by the band – is the perfect portrait of an elusive self-deluded sense of bliss in desperate circumstances. Pity me, I say, pity me!

1:40 – 4:10: I could write a lot about this section (and the little well hidden Also Sprach Zarathustra nod), but I won't. I will only type Kevin focking James LaBrie. Also, be very careful what you wish for, you ungrateful unrespectful unsympathetic detractors: no Phil Anselmo, Russell Allen or whoeverthefock could ever bring this tune home this way, not in a million lifetimes.

Right, I promised an Overture analysis, but I realised I scattered all my points through the timestamp paragraphs. The heart of the matter is – beautiful as it may be -  it represents an unnecessary bloated ballast of contrivance bestowed to an otherwise brilliant suite idea, undressing every sterile laboratory intervention underneath.

I get it, someone said: let's have ourself our Dark Side of the Moon, because we're the focking Stanley Kubrick/Quentin Tarantino of rock and we must re-invent every milestone. Too bad Pink Floyd never coldly decided to make a DsotM (or to have their version of Sgt Pepper), it came together through songs and ideas. Heck, they never “decided” to make I&W, they just made it. Jesus Christ wasn't a Christian, he just had ideas and the label came centuries later. See where I'm going?

This album, which could have been really an all-time great, is the start of DT gimmick albums, where decisions are made pre-production and the creative process must jump through self-imposed “our due place in rock history” hoops instead of flowing free and brewing with patience. It's a very slippery slope that will lead to their worst album ever, but this is a story for another post.

COMING NEXT: “Let's make Master of Puppets!”

*I've never really apprecaited GK, but reading your synopsis along really helped it open up a bit more.  It's certainly a nice piece.  That 'Supertramp' part is excellent.  That 3:42 section is amazing indeed and I love all the key changes in that final part.

*SS again was one I never really cared for.  Too soft for me I guess but the chorus fits the bill.  Although;

the focking way he sings the last “he was fine” is gut-wrenching

Wow, I was typing the last part when I heard James sing this part and thought, 'fuck, that's worth a mention,' and there you are.

I love that Chick Corea reference for that second last part too, great call.

* That indeed is a class transition.

* I've always loved that section at 2:33 in ATCR, incredible.

* I can get behind that Fatal Tragedy call out.

* Losing Time, that 1:07 - 1:40 section is one of my favs of the whole song.  I love it more than the rest of the song.

I think you're whole thoughts on the pre planned ideas on what they were doing moving forward has a lot of merit Allesandro.  I do hope you don't mean the next album is the worst ever.......we will see.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #747 on: November 15, 2023, 06:31:06 PM »

2. Snowboarding

“Hello, dad?”

“tsk tsk tsk”

“Yeah”

“At once!”

Good stuff there, Ale!

No idea what Nobuo or We All Need Some Light are though.

Other than Disappear, the 2nd half of Goodnight Kiss and Solitary Shell are the best 8 minutes of the double album. In my DT Top 100, Solitary Shell would come in around #30, but the entire 6 D's track will struggle to even break the Top 100.

DragonAttack is going to faint at the Bohemian Rhapsody reference. I hear it though. Nice call.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: November 15, 2023, 06:50:25 PM »
Other than Disappear, the 2nd half of Goodnight Kiss and Solitary Shell are the best 8 minutes of the double album. In my DT Top 100, Solitary Shell would come in around #30, but the entire 6 D's track will struggle to even break the Top 100.

Again, SS was never my thing, but I did enjoy it more reading along with Alex's post.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #749 on: November 15, 2023, 07:27:35 PM »

James is outstanding in these two passages. Of course, you may not have heard him try these this past summer... Ugh. Yet, these are recordings that should back up anyone's case for James.

I also like your LTE call out, and yes, JM is killing it.

I totally get this, but how much of this album was pre-thought out? Disc 1, which was done first is an incredibly varied and thoughtful album.

The last 4 movements to 6 D's (the song) so outclass the first 4, that upon completion, I wish they'd have rewritten the first half.

I find that my first listen is as good as cement in most cases. Things shrink and grow over time a little of course, but...only a little.  After hearing Disc 1, I was quite amazed. I was like, holy shit, there's a whole nuther CD of this goodness?

And then the Overture started...WTF?? About to Crash..underwhelming. War/Test....wut? Goodnight Kiss...oh boy!
I didn't have my interest piqued until halfway through Goodnight Kiss, and while the rest of it is quite good, it's simply not strong enough as a whole piece.

Here's what I wonder though...in true 2112 fashion, I wonder how I would've received this if the 6 D's song was Disc 1, and I listened to that first, and then the other 5 songs were on Disc 2.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: November 15, 2023, 08:33:15 PM »
it's simply not strong enough as a whole piece.

My thoughts too.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #751 on: November 16, 2023, 01:59:02 AM »
Spoiler for wolfking: the next album is not their worst ever!

Tim, veeeery interesting take regarding the 2112 format and CD inversion, yet I believe 2112 works better because we're talking sides, not discs, which brings me to:

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, the LP (in CD capacity) without pre-planned contrivance:

Side A: 1. The Very Spontaneous Sixt Degrees of Inner Turbulence:  I. About to Crash (5:51)
                                                                                                   II. Goodnight Kiss (6:17)
                                                                                                   III. Solitary Shell (5:47)
                                                                                                   IV. War inside a Test (let's say 6.08)
                                                                                                   V. My Uncle Is Hyper (4:04)
                                                                                                   VI: (Only) Losing Time (4:10)

Side B: 1. best ideas from Glass Prison, sans the whole 12 steps long game attached (let's say 5:52)
           2. Blind Faith (10:21)
           3. Misunderstood (9:32)
           4. The Great Debate Abridged (let's say 5:45)
           5. Disappear (6:45)

Total running time: 70:15

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: November 16, 2023, 04:06:08 AM »
Spoiler for wolfking: the next album is not their worst ever!

Tim, veeeery interesting take regarding the 2112 format and CD inversion, yet I believe 2112 works better because we're talking sides, not discs, which brings me to:

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, the LP (in CD capacity) without pre-planned contrivance:

Side A: 1. The Very Spontaneous Sixt Degrees of Inner Turbulence:  I. About to Crash (5:51)
                                                                                                   II. Goodnight Kiss (6:17)
                                                                                                   III. Solitary Shell (5:47)
                                                                                                   IV. War inside a Test (let's say 6.08)
                                                                                                   V. My Uncle Is Hyper (4:04)
                                                                                                   VI: (Only) Losing Time (4:10)

Side B: 1. best ideas from Glass Prison, sans the whole 12 steps long game attached (let's say 5:52)
           2. Blind Faith (10:21)
           3. Misunderstood (9:32)
           4. The Great Debate Abridged (let's say 5:45)
           5. Disappear (6:45)

Total running time: 70:15

Didn't think so based on your wording plus a couple of the later ones coming.

I like the Glass Prison at its current length.  I'm all for a shorter Great Debate though, but maybe I think it might need another minute added on to your time? 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: November 16, 2023, 05:41:02 AM »
All of got to say is... How dare you call your mother Margaret Thatcher...?  >:( 
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #754 on: November 16, 2023, 06:15:04 AM »
You should see her go Falklands on me arse.

Nonetheless, of course I'll send your regards.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #755 on: November 16, 2023, 07:51:35 AM »
  :hefdaddy Another awesome write-up. Yes, James was absolutely fantastic on the latter half of this "song".

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Disappear
« Reply #756 on: November 16, 2023, 10:57:51 AM »

II. About to Crash:

snip

I always say that I don't need my metal from DT, but ATC sits is some middle ground that appeals to not one direction in your DT Compass, which is an analogy that I love BTW. Although when I read the "north of Queen" reference, I thought I heard a large gasp outside of Baltimore as DragonSanford had "the big one.".
[/b]

:lol

I wasn't calling for 'Elizabeth' at that moment. ;)

Indy's Queen references are all part of what drew me into that band with Six Degrees, since this was my introduction to the band.  A hard rock band that changed styles, with very similar vocals, and occasional guitar bits that touched my wheelhouse for the first time in eons.

Briefly, going back to 'Disappear'.  Any old timers think of the 'Dark Shadows' TV theme when hearing the song?  It jumped out at me like a two ton heavy thing  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSbCqp_a3iE

Briefly, in total agreement as to 'Overture' (and the same holds true for 'Dystopian Overture').  Include the final minute with the next song, and it's a great segue. My CDRs have the overtures as two parts.  Can't recall the last time I've listened to either in their entirety. 

I've seen many a Broadway show with Mrs. DragonAttack, due to her love of Broadway and being much more cultured than this former small town farm boy.  Overture's are a great way of setting up anticipation for the upcoming performance (or to get the chronically late axes in their seats).  Best done short.  Best done correctly.   Best done with the right segments.

Nothing's better than JC Superstar in that regards.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #757 on: November 16, 2023, 12:49:28 PM »
Yup, Webber nailed that overture so thoroughly, everybody else stopped doing them and went for sung prologues.

If you're keen ob JCS, you're gonna love The Astonishing write-ups.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: November 16, 2023, 07:08:03 PM »
Yup, Webber nailed that overture so thoroughly, everybody else stopped doing them and went for sung prologues.

If you're keen ob JCS, you're gonna love The Astonishing write-ups.

Not sure I'm up for this.  :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #759 on: November 17, 2023, 02:41:15 AM »
Ha. But in the 64 years that will take me to get there you could change your mind!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: November 17, 2023, 02:55:13 AM »
Ha. But in the 64 years that will take me to get there you could change your mind!

Hooray!  I'll be dead by then.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #761 on: November 17, 2023, 10:38:36 PM »

So here is something I've never noticed before in this section....the echo on James' vocals at the end of each line. How did I not notice that? I've only listened to this album like a million times.....Weird, the things you pick out many years later.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #762 on: November 17, 2023, 11:02:41 PM »

I posit there are only 2 singers (in my humble opinion) other than James that could pull this off. Devin Townsend (granted he would bring it home differently, but no less majestically) and Steve Perry. A third possibility would be prime Geoff Tate, but ehhh....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #763 on: November 18, 2023, 02:57:34 AM »

I posit there are only 2 singers (in my humble opinion) other than James that could pull this off. Devin Townsend (granted he would bring it home differently, but no less majestically) and Steve Perry. A third possibility would be prime Geoff Tate, but ehhh....

They could totally pull it off technically, i.e. playing the notes. I'm afraid though Townsend would, as Shakespeare wrote, tear the passion to tatters screaming, Perry would drown it in sex, and Tate would never let you forget how much Tate loves to hear Tate.

Kiske and Freddie, on the other hand ...

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #764 on: November 19, 2023, 06:24:28 PM »
Maybe someone has already asked this, but just out of curiosity, will you be covering WDADU at some point? Seems to me the stuff Moore and especially Myung are doing on that album would be right up your alley. Heck, MP and JP too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #765 on: November 19, 2023, 06:25:57 PM »

One is my favorite singer and the other is my wife's.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #766 on: November 19, 2023, 08:27:28 PM »

Thankfully you mentioned your wife to save your ass.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #767 on: November 20, 2023, 02:06:48 AM »
Maybe someone has already asked this, but just out of curiosity, will you be covering WDADU at some point? Seems to me the stuff Moore and especially Myung are doing on that album would be right up your alley. Heck, MP and JP too.

Yeah, it could be a nice Bonus Scene once I'm through with the discography. I envision summer 2057.

I was getting quite amazed until the saxon genitive

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #768 on: November 20, 2023, 09:39:26 AM »
I don’t know what a genitive is but Biff Byford still sounds amazing.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Intro of Thought
« Reply #769 on: November 23, 2023, 04:28:48 PM »
I feared this moment, but gotta geordie up and jump on the Train, fall of 2003 for you fine people, fall from grace for this blue eyed midnight rambler.

Many people dear to me heart are giving thanks right now, so let me ideally join'em thanking myself for making the biggest dumbest mistake of my life, propelling a long chain of crazy events eventually leading to happy salvation. I'm not talking about buying Train of Thought, of course, even though that purchase is the perfect place to start the tale of my first marriage.

I was making a name for myself in my little niche, paying good dues, doing the rounds; I was the next big thing in a microscopic dying pond of a genre, but still I was definitely moving the chains. As it often happens, a production with a full week of shows scheduled in a town found itself without the leading comic role on the Sunday; I was contacted with five days notice (we all have more or less the same songs and scenes in our repertoire, with some degree of variation), sent script, score, and the promise of a good check (and future considerations). Happy times … with a twist: alas, I couldn't travel with the production, having obligations of my own, so I was facing a lonely 500 Kms car ride to the deep south, quick rehearsals, show, hotel, 500 Kms back on Monday, also known as The Barbers' and Artists' Resting Day But Actually Quite Manic Because You Gotta Fill It Up With Civilian Life Shite.

And what did you do during the Ginobili Era when facing a long trip alone? You went to the record store and fetched a brand new album. I repeat for the digitalised creatures my generation has brought in a sorry world: you moved your arse out of your flat, went to a physical building where other human beings sold records/cds and you challenged the unknown spending hard earned money on a physical object containing the magical power of music, usually knowing fock all about what releases were available. Naturally, during the following weeks (actually for the rest of your life), you would dive deeply in said magical object, trying to suck it dry with your ears and brain, because it was valuable and unique. Liquor you sample, records you focking eviscerate until you or they croak.

Imagine my surprise when the nice lady (new town, new clerk) told me the new DT was out; bloody Nora, I was still gnawing the marrow off Toilet Paper and Bad Trip was already there for me to drink in! It was going to be a spectacular southbound ride … and a seven years curse riding back with the Black Bitch.

Coming Next: As I Am
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 04:38:11 PM by Indiscipline »