Author Topic: Scenes From My Memory v. Honor Thy Father  (Read 137309 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Disappear
« Reply #700 on: November 02, 2023, 08:04:21 AM »
So awesome to have this back . . . but now there are a bunch of references I have to look up . . .  :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #701 on: November 02, 2023, 08:15:27 AM »
Many thanks, DT.

It's awsome to have the old gang here once again.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #702 on: November 10, 2023, 09:22:11 AM »
Being a fellow Sinatra fan is icing on the cake.  :metal

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #703 on: November 11, 2023, 11:09:59 AM »
Saturday night is all right for rambling (and for the Rat Pack to catch up) about:

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - yep, the whole “let's pull a 2112 structure with a kinda Dark Side of the Moon concept” she-bang, starting with just the first four slices because bosk isn't paying overtime:

I.Overture:

Not now. First off, overtures are fully enjoyed only after listening to the actual movements they're preluding to, and I already knew it was going to be beautiful, symphonic … and wrong (I will elaborate on the whole thing at suite's end, enjoy the cliffhanger). A funnier use for this paragraph would rather be sharing with you fine gents and miladies where yours truly was at the time of this hearing*: I got the job I wanted, i.e. Musical theater performer (soon to be director), mostly on the comedic spectrum, aka the only possible way I can function in the current multiverse. The implications are quite significant:

1. The only way I could make a living in this world and sleep at night (or day) was bringing music and laughter to people, with no possibilty of hurting/exploiting a living soul. I'm not judging, just stating the way I'm wired.
Maybe it stems by being the offspring of a critical catholic artist dude and a fervent communist professor lady, I don't know.

2. It gave me an audience, an outlet for my attention whoring, and a strong appreciation of my private sphere, hence saving me from the (dawning at the time) social network epidemic, also known as The Fifth Horseman of Apocalypse: The On Getting The Job Done.

3. It gave me the gift of the Tour Bus, that is free hours upon free hours dedicated to listening to / philosophising about music and other amenities (cue the Black Bitch, among others). Heck, 85% of this thread has been written on a bus or a plane/airport.

*I know I promised the Black Bitch, but let's save the dark flawed enchantress for the dark flawed album.

Alright, it was a long-winded enough Overture. Let's get to

II. About to Crash:

0:00 – 0:24: This is the perfect warm welcoming piano to lubricate my attention into this suite. The perfect balance between cunning sophistication and salt of the earth familiarity. It's a piano lick standing between Billy Joel and the Cheers opening theme.

0:24 – 0:34: And this, for my wimpy pussy ears, is the perfect amount of operational distortion for DT music, no matter the style they're playing with. Clarity and grace.

0:34 – 0:56: Jordan winking at the prog classics, chapter 46: the Lucky Man moog. I love where this is going.

0:56 – 1:18: It takes a village to write cool and jumpy rock riffs, or DT with their most criminally overlooked habit. Plus, when the ship is sailing on the hard rock sea, and not capsizing on the metal waves, correct use of James occurs. Coincidence?

1:18 – 1:50: Criminally overlooked DT habit, part deux: the ability to write great choruses without easy hooks. Sadly, the boys' songwriting prowess will always be overshadowed by their technical proficiency. They're the MJ of prog: all the buckets and records make you forget he's been the best defender in the game south of Bill Russell.

1:50 – 2:01: Van Hagar riffage, circa For Unknown Carnal Knowledge? Fascinating.

2:01 – 2:23: Mike Portnoy literally Walking on the Moon

2:23 – 2:45: I don't care Jordan Rudess is the best keyboardist in the world, he should be tied to a Steinway and forced to fill every song with piano goodness. So good. You can hire Sherinian back for synths and organs for all I care, but Jordan stays on the piano. Ok, with a minimoog on his lap.

2:45 – 2:56: Holy Brian May, Johnny P! Actually there's a May wink in every DT album. Last time was on One Last Time.

2:56 – 3:22: Repetition, hence considerations: I will repeat this until I turn blue or until every album stops confirming it: DT is at its best north of Queen, south of Iron Maiden, west of Yes, east of Journey. The compass is clear, boundaries should never be crossed, there's room enough to experiment inside.

3:22 – 3:35: There is odd time, instinctive odd time, and odd time to show off. This is odd time with storytelling purpose. 5/8 is the harshest odd time feeling you can get (the missing beat is extremely close in ear memory to the leading one), the signature whispering to every listener, no matter education, that “something ain't working properly”. In this song there could not be a better way to suggest the other shoe is going to drop. 

3:35 – 3:53: Let's everybody celebrate the birth of Prog Rock Tango

3:53 – 4:19: As usual, when DT respects The Compass, Big James is focking on like a don.

4:19 – 4:49: Not note for note, but feel for feel, this is Voices solo sans wah. I hope it makes sense.

4:49 – 5:51: As close to Gilmour as you can get before burning your wings, and absolutely the best bunch of bars of the album so far.

III. War Inside My Head:

0:00 – 0:15: Fock-a-Spock, almost failed a heart attack saving throw here. Sure, last tune had a nice outro and this one's got a nice intro, but you definitely need transitions between intros and outros too.

0:15 – 0:42: According to The Compass (almost trademarked at this point) this is a quintessential on the border DT metal feel. Approved. See? It works.

0:42 – 0:56: Nonetheless, James will never, ever, be a metal singer. On a sidenote, nice sped up For Whom the Bell Tolls riff, everybody.

0:56 - 1:25: … And just to screw with the paragraph above, that was a bonafide Awake scream. Whaddafock do I know?

1:25 – 2:08: Repetition, hence considerations: I understand and appreciate the need for some speed and weight at this point – hell, I like it even – but this song is so blatantly rushed and skimmed through that it feels (as Overture analysis will partially reveal) like something that “had to be there” rather than an organically sowed & reaped piece of music.

IV: The Test That Stumped Them All:

0:00 – 0:25: Again, really? Sure, last tune had a nice transition and this one's got a nice transition, but you definitely need transitions between transitions and …. well, transitions. I told ya, rushed. Probably in fear to piss off the cool heavy metal kids.

0:25 – 0:45: A little bit thrashy, but still inside The Compass, therefore …

0:45 – 1:05: … James holds his focking own, my friends.

1:05 – 1:26: More than holding his own, he performs some vintage Caught in a Web muscular belting. Impressive.  Oh, and before I forget … Darkness, imprisoning me, all I can see, absolute horror … Sorry, couldn't help it.

1:26 – 1:40: As close to The Wall as you can get before burning your The Trial.

1:40 – 2:55: Repetition, hence considerations: never good when repetition/considerations occur for a whole focking minute and in consecutive songs. There is a saving grace though: Portnoy echoing the machine gun riff at first with Portnoy cymbals, then with Portnoy toms. Genius simplicity. 

2:55 – 3:59: The most formulaic and uninspired solos in Johhy P's and Jordan's career. Just speed up and down a scale. This whole song ( as Overture analysis will partially reveal) screams filler.

3:59 – 5:03: Nice War Pigs slow section mood ruined by a keyboard fat fly buzzing around. WIMH referenced Bell Tolls, here we have One and War Pigs. Nice, too bad while rushing they forgot between songs the theme has shifted from war to mental institutionalisation.

I only wanted my Pepsi.

Coming Next: well, the rest.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Six Degrees Suite from I to IV
« Reply #704 on: November 11, 2023, 11:25:14 AM »

2:23 – 2:45: I don't care Jordan Rudess is the best keyboardist in the world, he should be tied to a Steinway and forced to fill every song with piano goodness. So good. You can hire Sherinian back for synths and organs for all I care, but Jordan stays on the piano. Ok, with a minimoog on his lap.

:clap:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. The Great Debate
« Reply #705 on: November 11, 2023, 07:05:14 PM »
I think Disappear is one of DT's most amazing songs.

OK...let's do this!

Yep, you got it, it's Disappear:

0:00 – 0:34: We may talk too much about DT, but we seriously don't talk enough about their uncanny ability to frame a mood with a handful of bars. Funny, because the very band's name is a pretty accurate description of what I've just described. Those notes longing to be together but deceptively suggesting dissonance, the Ill Honky Tonk Piano lifted from an hypothetical Scenes parallel narration …

0:34 – 0:58: … Right. Same Regression/Spirit 6/8 signature strumming. This is both musically promising and songwriting/storytelling wise intriguing.

The opening here a way underutilized tool in DT's toolbox. It was put there by Kevin Moore, and I wish they'd use it more often. Songs like Space Dye Vest and Disappear do get a lot of flack, but they're two of my favorite DT tracks, and this is the kind of thing that makes so many parts of The Astonishing unforgettable. I have so many other places to get metal from, and I don't need it from DT.

0:58 – 2:06: Let me put my LaBrie's Avenger cape on. I promise you it's waaay more difficult to be so expressive and soulful at the bottom of your range than it is near the ceiling. High notes are pole dancing, low and slow ones are ballet. On a sidenote, I don't see the need to drown the vocals in such reverb; it must be this album's “thou shan't leave thy voice unprocessed” mantra.

I actually like the ethereal effect. Matches the music. It's like a voice from the clouds, and I'd rather that than a voice coming from right next to me.

2:32 – 2:35: Four notes, four focking simple notes, yet impossibly important. Please, do me a favour and edit the whole song without this section, instantly forget you did it, listen again, and tell me whether it feels completely different. Such is the power of emotional transitions. I know, you won't do me this favour, so you'll have to trust me or wave this paragraph off as musical lunacy. No hard feelings.

2:48 – 3:56: Is it possible to enormously contribute to the emotional mood (in a trasformative way I dare say) just by snare placement in the groove? It is if you are Michael Portnoy (big Lennon fan, I hear). Speaking about mood, I could do without the keyboard choir patch. Keeping with this installment theme, I'd like this section best “naked”, a sort of Across the Universe without strings. Does the DT Custom Shop still exist?

The four notes? I'm sure I've heard them. But thanks to you, they're going to jump out from my speakers forever more.

The snare? At the end of the day, Mike Portnoy is an incredible drummer with amazing instincts. I have missed him terribly in my musical life.

The choir? I've actually never consciously noticed that it's a choir patch. It's so subtle, I'm ok with it.

4:26 – 5:20: Perfect orchestrational and vocal crescendo: this song is really the perfect companion piece to The Spirit Carries On. Same ts, tempo, almost parallel negative harmony, yet stripped down and on opposite mood and landscape. A very different but related way for a soul to change plane of of existance. Again, as far as I'm concerned, Toilet Wall is showing DT at their songwriting maturity peak. Before I forget while wallowing in my tangents, in this instance the vocal processing is focking brilliant: a way to hear and feel both narrator and subject. Also, the way “never forget” is sung is reason #649 I love Big James, who vindicates the whole side A with a bunch of measures.

5:20 – 5:40: And tis is the sad brother to the “familiar voices shining through” section just before the acoustic breakdown in Scenes' last song. Appropriate and brilliant. Someone here is Finally Free, just in a very different but related way.

These two sections are why James Labrie will always be Dream Theater's not so secret weapon. This is a tremendous passage and as emotional as any in the DT catalog.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. The Great Debate
« Reply #706 on: November 12, 2023, 06:03:51 AM »
Yep, you got it, it's Disappear:

*Long winded, plebeian complaints, trying to be clever observations, but coming across as the worst sort of pedantic wrong headedness. Only to wind up saying "It's great."*

This might be my favorite DT song, on some days. How's that for commitment?

I love the dented, toy music box, feel of the opening and closing sections, or maybe a kerosene powered record player running low on fuel.  ;)

The mood of the song is perfectly built up to the 4:26 - 5:20 as you mention. My favorite, patented JLB moment is "I gave you my hand / I said it's okay / Letting go time to leave here". Although, to be fair, he delivers through the entire song.

Good call pointing out MP's snare work. Of course I've always noticed it, but it took you pointing it out for me to really notice it.

On a personal note. I'm glad you're back around here, and doing these again. This place is duller without you, and your disappear act (in light of the 2020 health scare) kinda made me fret for you.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #707 on: November 12, 2023, 06:28:14 AM »
Tim, Gregg, the whole Rat Pack, this thread Is nothing without you guys.

Thank you all and sorry for the worries.

Wait a focking sec ...

PLEBEIAN, moi?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #709 on: November 12, 2023, 06:42:01 AM »
I will be knocking out the 6 D's review today, and after all of these years, I came up with a thought  so obvious this morning about it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #710 on: November 12, 2023, 06:51:13 AM »
PLEBEIAN, moi?

*chuckles*

I'm pulling a Red Hot Chili Peppers. Got clean but lost my mojo.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #711 on: November 12, 2023, 06:56:15 AM »
Actually now you have clean mojo. You just have to accept that is just as good.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #712 on: November 12, 2023, 07:05:53 AM »
Aaaaand moooore, much more than this, I did it myyyyyyyy waaaaaaaay

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: November 12, 2023, 07:53:54 AM »
II. About to Crash:
2:45 – 2:56: Holy Brian May, Johnny P! Actually there's a May wink in every DT album. Last time was on One Last Time.

Had never noticed this until yesterday.  I hear it now.

I’ll disagree as to the prior 'I had a Holy Brian May moment……'

03 – Misunderstood:   
4:33 – 5:13: And clarity brings terror in all its atonal qualities. You think your words and intentions are clear, but the outside world hears them as (cue the brilliant and crucial guitar solo) slightly duplicitous, almost backwards, with such a internal eccentric logic sounding illogical and discordant. A melody “seen” through moving oily waters.

Six Degrees was my first DT album.  I literally jumped out of my chair due to the guitar sound during this patch, looking through the liner notes to see if Sir Brian was credited for this part.

I do so enjoy all your focking comments in this thread.  :lol  Going waaay back  to ‘The Great Debate’, if you're not crazy about the lyrics (which I'm not), here it is stripped of the vocals   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs1wKc2An1Q

I will be knocking out the 6 D's review today, and after all of these years, I came up with a thought  so obvious this morning about it.

Was it at the same place you spent 27 minutes listening to 'The Glass Prison' as mentioned on Page 18 of this thread? :D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 10:10:57 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #714 on: November 12, 2023, 08:11:53 AM »
Welcome aboard DA, a pleasure!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: November 12, 2023, 08:23:31 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #716 on: November 12, 2023, 08:25:07 AM »
Saturday night is all right for rambling (and for the Rat Pack to catch up) about:

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - yep, the whole “let's pull a 2112 structure with a kinda Dark Side of the Moon concept” she-bang, starting with just the first four slices because bosk isn't paying overtime:

I.Overture:

Not now. First off, overtures are fully enjoyed only after listening to the actual movements they're preluding to, and I already knew it was going to be beautiful, symphonic … and wrong (I will elaborate on the whole thing at suite's end, enjoy the cliffhanger). A funnier use for this paragraph would rather be sharing with you fine gents and miladies where yours truly was at the time of this hearing*: I got the job I wanted, i.e. Musical theater performer (soon to be director), mostly on the comedic spectrum, aka the only possible way I can function in the current multiverse. The implications are quite significant:

1. The only way I could make a living in this world and sleep at night (or day) was bringing music and laughter to people, with no possibilty of hurting/exploiting a living soul. I'm not judging, just stating the way I'm wired.
Maybe it stems by being the offspring of a critical catholic artist dude and a fervent communist professor lady, I don't know.

2. It gave me an audience, an outlet for my attention whoring, and a strong appreciation of my private sphere, hence saving me from the (dawning at the time) social network epidemic, also known as The Fifth Horseman of Apocalypse: The On Getting The Job Done.

3. It gave me the gift of the Tour Bus, that is free hours upon free hours dedicated to listening to / philosophising about music and other amenities (cue the Black Bitch, among others). Heck, 85% of this thread has been written on a bus or a plane/airport.

*I know I promised the Black Bitch, but let's save the dark flawed enchantress for the dark flawed album.

Alright, it was a long-winded enough Overture. Let's get to

II. About to Crash:

0:00 – 0:24: This is the perfect warm welcoming piano to lubricate my attention into this suite. The perfect balance between cunning sophistication and salt of the earth familiarity. It's a piano lick standing between Billy Joel and the Cheers opening theme.

0:24 – 0:34: And this, for my wimpy pussy ears, is the perfect amount of operational distortion for DT music, no matter the style they're playing with. Clarity and grace.

0:34 – 0:56: Jordan winking at the prog classics, chapter 46: the Lucky Man moog. I love where this is going.

0:56 – 1:18: It takes a village to write cool and jumpy rock riffs, or DT with their most criminally overlooked habit. Plus, when the ship is sailing on the hard rock sea, and not capsizing on the metal waves, correct use of James occurs. Coincidence?

1:18 – 1:50: Criminally overlooked DT habit, part deux: the ability to write great choruses without easy hooks. Sadly, the boys' songwriting prowess will always be overshadowed by their technical proficiency. They're the MJ of prog: all the buckets and records make you forget he's been the best defender in the game south of Bill Russell.

1:50 – 2:01: Van Hagar riffage, circa For Unknown Carnal Knowledge? Fascinating.

2:01 – 2:23: Mike Portnoy literally Walking on the Moon

2:56 – 3:22: Repetition, hence considerations: I will repeat this until I turn blue or until every album stops confirming it: DT is at its best north of Queen, south of Iron Maiden, west of Yes, east of Journey. The compass is clear, boundaries should never be crossed, there's room enough to experiment inside.

3:22 – 3:35: There is odd time, instinctive odd time, and odd time to show off. This is odd time with storytelling purpose. 5/8 is the harshest odd time feeling you can get (the missing beat is extremely close in ear memory to the leading one), the signature whispering to every listener, no matter education, that “something ain't working properly”. In this song there could not be a better way to suggest the other shoe is going to drop. 

3:35 – 3:53: Let's everybody celebrate the birth of Prog Rock Tango

3:53 – 4:19: As usual, when DT respects The Compass, Big James is focking on like a don.

4:19 – 4:49: Not note for note, but feel for feel, this is Voices solo sans wah. I hope it makes sense.

4:49 – 5:51: As close to Gilmour as you can get before burning your wings, and absolutely the best bunch of bars of the album so far.

Ok...let's start on what I consider one of the most overblown pieces of the entire DT discog. I've generally warmed up to it as time has passed, but to me, this is one entire disc of nothing.

First, the Overture.

Looking forward to the teaser, but in the mean time, Cool story, frat.
I have to say that I literally thought this was a Disney album that somehow got swapped with the actual DT Disc 2. Even today, I simply cannot get through it.

About To Crash..

For years, I could never really get into this. As long as it is, it feels somewhat incomplete. THis is the ne track, however, that time has been most kind to. I've seen it twice live, most recently perfectly placed in the middle of the View set on the first leg. I love how you point out how great Jordan is on this. It may or may not be subtle, as his work on AVFTTOTW may or may also not be subtle. But please....no Derek. Ever.

James is great, but his voice feels a bit distanced, dare I say....processed. I hate the way he's mixed here.

I always say that I don't need my metal from DT, but ATC sits is some middle ground that appeals to not one direction in your DT Compass, which is an analogy that I love BTW. Although when I read the "north of Queen" reference, I thought I heard a large gasp outside of Baltimore as DragonSanford had "the big one.".

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #717 on: November 12, 2023, 08:26:37 AM »

Was it at the same place you spent 27 minutes listening to 'The Glass Prison' as mentioned on Page 18 of this thread? :D

:lol :lol

You don't know how close to the truth this is. However I was standing when I had this thought, which I won't divulge until the end.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #718 on: November 12, 2023, 08:28:57 AM »
Actually, this disc has served me pretty well over the years...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #719 on: November 12, 2023, 08:43:48 AM »
Wtf, Tim?   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #720 on: November 12, 2023, 09:24:19 AM »
III. War Inside My Head:

0:00 – 0:15: Fock-a-Spock, almost failed a heart attack saving throw here. Sure, last tune had a nice outro and this one's got a nice intro, but you definitely need transitions between intros and outros too.

0:15 – 0:42: According to The Compass (almost trademarked at this point) this is a quintessential on the border DT metal feel. Approved. See? It works.

0:42 – 0:56: Nonetheless, James will never, ever, be a metal singer. On a sidenote, nice sped up For Whom the Bell Tolls riff, everybody.

0:56 - 1:25: … And just to screw with the paragraph above, that was a bonafide Awake scream. Whaddafock do I know?

1:25 – 2:08: Repetition, hence considerations: I understand and appreciate the need for some speed and weight at this point – hell, I like it even – but this song is so blatantly rushed and skimmed through that it feels (as Overture analysis will partially reveal) like something that “had to be there” rather than an organically sowed & reaped piece of music.

0:00 – 0:25: Again, really? Sure, last tune had a nice transition and this one's got a nice transition, but you definitely need transitions between transitions and …. well, transitions. I told ya, rushed. Probably in fear to piss off the cool heavy metal kids.

0:25 – 0:45: A little bit thrashy, but still inside The Compass, therefore …

1:05 – 1:26: More than holding his own, he performs some vintage Caught in a Web muscular belting. Impressive.  Oh, and before I forget … Darkness, imprisoning me, all I can see, absolute horror … Sorry, couldn't help it.

1:26 – 1:40: As close to The Wall as you can get before burning your The Trial.

1:40 – 2:55: Repetition, hence considerations: never good when repetition/considerations occur for a whole focking minute and in consecutive songs. There is a saving grace though: Portnoy echoing the machine gun riff at first with Portnoy cymbals, then with Portnoy toms. Genius simplicity. 

2:55 – 3:59: The most formulaic and uninspired solos in Johhy P's and Jordan's career. Just speed up and down a scale. This whole song ( as Overture analysis will partially reveal) screams filler.

3:59 – 5:03: Nice War Pigs slow section mood ruined by a keyboard fat fly buzzing around. WIMH referenced Bell Tolls, here we have One and War Pigs. Nice, too bad while rushing they forgot between songs the theme has shifted from war to mental institutionalisation.

I feel like you might be as frustrated with these sections as I am. I've never really been comfortable with either one of these sections. And I'm the heavy guy.

He does a much better Hetfield...

...than he does a Mustaine.
III. War Inside My Head:

0:42 – 0:56: Nonetheless, James will never, ever, be a metal singer.

Also, I love the riff at :37 of Test.  :metal

You're also dead on about the transitions between ATC, War, Test. Jarring to say the least. Weird that they can transition from Test to Kiss so eloquently.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #721 on: November 12, 2023, 09:41:27 AM »
I’d love it if those 2 sections weren’t there, ruins the song. Forced in.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #722 on: November 12, 2023, 12:12:16 PM »
Actually, this disc has served me pretty well over the years...

You uncultured swine!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #723 on: November 12, 2023, 12:16:48 PM »
Take this cup awaaaaaaay from me, for I don't want to taaaaaaaste its poison ....

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #724 on: November 13, 2023, 01:52:59 PM »
I feel bad for you when you have to get into the writeups of the Train of Thought and so on era of more misuse of Big James. Incidentally I'm actually surprised you've gotten away with calling him that, some forumers insist he's 5'4".

We may never get there, but when you get to the Mangini albums I'm anticipating your relief that the classic DT sound was back.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #725 on: November 13, 2023, 02:39:51 PM »
Actually I feel bad for you all when I get there, for Train through Clouds will feature the most toxic failure of a disfunctional marriage this timeline has ever seen.
Unless you like drama, or lunacy, or dramatic lunacy, or lunatic drama. I'm in permutational hell.
Writeups-wise, well, there will be insufferable moaning due to the increasing valleys, but the peaks are worth gushing about in pompous incoherent lovely drivel anyway.
So stay with me, I'm tired of disappearing/mourning/dying or - if I have to - experiencing those things away from this cozy thread and forum.

Regarding James, I call him Big because, I swear, I've never witnessed a broader piece of face on a man in my life. Big resonators, big sound, Big James.

I leave you with a teaser for the MM era: I will focking dissect The Astonishing like it's the Zapruder film.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #726 on: November 13, 2023, 03:00:11 PM »
I leave you with a teaser for the MM era: I will focking dissect The Astonishing like it's the Zapruder film.

Really looking forward to this. I listened to my Astonishing Abridged today, and it's magnificent.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: November 13, 2023, 03:59:07 PM »
^
Curious as to the location 😉😀

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #728 on: November 13, 2023, 04:54:34 PM »
^

Hah!

At work ;D

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: November 13, 2023, 05:20:27 PM »
^

Hah!

At work ;D

‘Employees Only’😉

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: November 14, 2023, 05:51:27 AM »

Really looking forward to this. I listened to my Astonishing Abridged today, and it's magnificent.
^

From the sixth floor of the Book Depository, of course.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: November 14, 2023, 06:05:54 AM »
As for

*snip*

I don't have any negative things to say, really, since this rambling mess never really walks close to an edge. Pretty pedestrian...plebeian even. I kid.

You seemed to take the heavy movements of SDoIT well. That surprised me. I expected a similar reaction from you as we got from the peanut gallery. The DT Custom Shop is closed forever, folks. Take them as they am. They are what they is? Something like that.

I hope we do get installments from ToT through Black Clouds. Apart from your personal miseries, your opinions on DT's output is always entertaining.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #732 on: November 14, 2023, 06:10:55 AM »
Gregg, you just gave me the final piece to complete the DT Descent into Pandering Heaviness Puzzle I've been searching for all along!

The heart of the matter is the band actually started to take petitions from the Custom Shop instead of closing it for good.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #733 on: November 14, 2023, 02:53:02 PM »

^

From the sixth floor of the Book Depository, of course.

*chuckles* missed this

and we all know who Kennedy is in this thread's lore, don't we?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #734 on: November 14, 2023, 02:58:46 PM »
She used to be on MTV, right?