Author Topic: Scenes From My Memory v. Honor Thy Father  (Read 136816 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Scene 06: Beyond This Town (SFAM)
« Reply #525 on: September 13, 2018, 09:35:00 AM »
And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost.  History became legend.  Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the thread passed out of all knowledge. Until, when chance came, it ensnared another group of unsuspecting forumers.

Darkness crept back into the forums of the world.  Rumor grew of a shadow in the East, whispers of a nameless fear, and the thread perceived its time had come.  [...and Indisipline returned.]  ...but then something happened that the thread did not intend.  It was followed and liked by the most unlikely creature imaginable: a forum admin, bosk1, of DTF.

Inb4 TAC says: WTF?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #526 on: September 13, 2018, 09:36:49 AM »
A warm welcome to New World Rushman, everybody. May you ruin your company spending time with us!

Gregg, Bro said "huh goo goo booma". He likes you. Bad news, codename for this album is actually Kevin Moore Face.

Bosk, I feel like I've been given the most beautiful bannage notification ever. Plus:
Truth be told, on that fateful day many years ago when this thread first appeared, I don't think I was initially paying attention.  I took notice a few posts in.  And my initial reaction was that the person posting it was obviously deranged and dangerous, and should probably be banned on forthwith.  The irreverence and inanity was so over the top that it was a threat to the status quo.  Banning from the forum without further explanation was the neat, tidy, and expedient way to deal with this.  And yet...people seemed to like it.  So...I begrudgingly let it ride for a bit.  Maybe it was harmless.  Like a mysterious and uncomfortable skin rash that could either be irritating and embarrassing, but ultimately harmless and would go away all on its own, or could develop into a fatal flesh-consuming disease, I decided I would just keep a close eye on it with potent thermonuclear antibiotics close at hand, just in case, and hope for the best.

Ultimately, the threat subsided, and the beast vanished into the ether.  Threat abated.  And with a sigh of relief, I acquiesced to the pleas to send this to the archive.

And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost.  History became legend.  Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the thread passed out of all knowledge. Until, when chance came, it ensnared another group of unsuspecting forumers.

Darkness crept back into the forums of the world.  Rumor grew of a shadow in the East, whispers of a nameless fear, and the thread perceived its time had come.  [...and Indisipline returned.]  ...but then something happened that the thread did not intend.  It was followed and liked by the most unlikely creature imaginable: a forum admin, bosk1, of DTF.

That kicked serious fantasy ass. I feel like I'm Thakisis.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: September 13, 2018, 09:42:36 AM »
Bad news, codename for this album is actually Kevin Moore Face.

I was wondering about that, but I kept forgetting to ask. Not as catchy as Shirley, Moses or Twin Idiots but I'll bite.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #528 on: September 13, 2018, 09:53:05 AM »
Bosk, I feel like I've been given the most beautiful bannage notification ever. Plus:

That kicked serious fantasy ass. I feel like I'm Thakisis.

:lol  Glad you liked it, mio amico.  Truth be told, it was pretty fun to write.

Inb4 TAC says: WTF?

:rollin  So true!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #529 on: September 14, 2018, 07:22:51 AM »
Ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

04 – Through My Words:

Is there anyone not singing this along harmonising the vocal line a major third up? It's just asking for it. Considering we're talking about two individuals sharing the same mind here, I'm sadly filing this under “wasted opportunities”. I'm officially back on the saddle with DT. Proof? I'm presuming to tell the band what they should do, the mark of a true DT fan.

Ok, see ya next week with:

Coming Next: 05 – Fatal Tragedy

Yeah, as if.

05 – Fatal Tragedy:

0:00 – 0:35: Jordan's got Billy Joel classy pop milk here and Big James just slays it when it comes to theatrics. When, oh, when will they realise rock opera is what they're cut for? (OK, that was full blown cheating, but still!) On a sidenote, doesn't this little section vaguely remind you of Space-Dye Vest?

Hey! That's my schtick, you focker! Right, Nicholas/Kevin can't sleep and goes for the Martens for angels catalogue … I mean, goes back to his dream. He hears cries too, and they're not from a James Ivory flick this time. Maybe Gregg's screaming his KM allergy out.

0:35 – 0:48: Black Sabbath (the song) turns into Friends Will Be Friends ...

Man, that was a stretch.

0:48 – 1:07: … Joined by Take the Long Way home staccato piano, despite my italics symbionte's protests. The mishmash is fantastic, perfectly conveying a dive into a surreal alternative past. They seem to have carefully planned this concept thing.

Oh, two can play the timestamp to timestamp suspense game. Watch this. Nicholas/Kevin meets a man he can trust, and the old man is ...

1:07 – 1:33: Two totally unrelated things emerge listening to this verse a second time. 1) There's a post-debut/pre-90's Alice Cooper vibe here somewhere, just can't pinpoint it but I feel it. Tim, help? 2) I can hear a tambourine and that's a cool call back to Metropolis Pt1.

... Charlie Dominici! We can all agree on that methinks. The man whose sacrifice meant the biggest DT songwriting leap (and maybe one day we'll recap WDADU) is helping the man whose retirement meant the biggest DT songwriting downfall to find out who the fock killed Images&Words. Does it make sense or does it make sense?

1:33 – 1:47: Pilfered from King Diamond's Melissa saga. Very fitting, thinking about it.

Mate, you're crazier than me, really. Mind you, I'm talking to you only because it's a nifty parallel to the two people sharing a single mind narrative, otherwise I'd ignore your tripe.

1:47 – 2:06: Choruses are extremely hooky on this album so far and I love it. This one has a certain Hetfield guitar melodic gravitas to it. BUT, seriously, someone should grow a set and tell Mike he's an awesome artist but it doesn't mean he can sing. Interesting voice, on tune, but the man can't really sing, or at least not so loud in the mix. 

It doesn't get any better than Charlie Dominici telling Kevin Moore “there can be no turning back”. Any thoughts, Mr Portnoy?

2:06 – 2:24: What can I say? I'm loving Dream Theater Edgar Winter/Brian May Thrill Theme Park. Don't you?

Yes

2:24 – 2:52: Listening to the city, whispering its violence ... Sorry, couldn't help it, but in this case it was alright and actually clever. God, that double voice was annoying.

You talking to me? Oh.

2:52 – 3:26: Now I know what to say when somebody asks: “Define Prog Metal, please”. They haven't sounded so tight and cohesive, heavy and crisp, since Baby Derek's best moments. Plus, lo and behold, Big James is back!

”You're on your own”, he said. “You'll know the truth as my bloody Majesty tattoo goes away, you focking backstabber”, he said.

3:26 – 3:51: Ok, lots of singing by the other guys so far. I get creative control and self producing have been a painful conquest, but are we sure we're not needing some wise external ear anymore? Who's in charge now? Can the – you know – focking best prog metal singer of his generation record his own harmonies?

I will shut up for a bit. I feel I've already squandered a couple of Bosk's thumbs. 

3:51 – 4:12: I've said this a million times but I'll say it again. The day we will look back to this extraordinary career, we'll be blinded by musicianship, intricacies and overall musical beauty. Of course, we'll neglect to mention they have produced way more motherfocking killer riffs than we give'em credit for. By the way, A) Sometimes single string is better than chords, and it shows. B) That sabre duel cymbal thing Mighty Mike is doing deserves some kind of Nobel.

4:12 – 4:39: Dad's phone is off, otherwise I'd be talking about Mike's vulgar display of power until dawn and probably cutting myself out of my inheritance. Anyways, Jordan, what's that patch's name, Ghost'n'Goblins or Kadash?

4:39 – 5:14: That solo is practically unplayable. That solo is faster than anything I've ever heard coming from a guitar amp. That solo's tone melts your face even if your name is Destro. That solo requires a world class athlete's level of stamina. That solo is the first Petrucci's solo I'm not liking.

5:14 – 6:00: Well, Johnny P my boy, it seems you've found your crazy shredding match. Yet if I should decide who's the winner in this solo war, I'd say Johnny M and Mighty Mike, hoping it makes sense enough.

6:00 – 6:41: It does. This is the Voltron I've always dreamt of. Five perfect machines completely joined and cohordinated. You can't tell who's playing what anymore, just like you can't tell who's penetrating who anymore when you truly make love.

6:41 – 6:50: Dreeeeeaaaamer … you know you are a dreeeeeaaaaamer ... Sorry, couldn't help it.

This Hypno-guy is onto something. I think I know who he really is. HAHAHAHAHA!

Coming Next: 06 – Beyond this Life (Favourite alert!)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:57:13 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: September 14, 2018, 10:51:29 AM »

Never before has any voice uttered the words of that tongue here in DTF!  >:(

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: September 14, 2018, 11:14:09 AM »
Okay I really loved this installment. The lols were too numerous to mention, but this one is just too brilliant to not point out.

It doesn't get any better than Charlie Dominici telling Kevin Moore “there can be no turning back”. Any thoughts, Mr Portnoy?

Goddamn, Alex. That's just brootal!  :rollin

I'm putting my KevMo allergy on hold for this album now that I know the cover is his face (in your twisted imagination). Oh, and that guitar solo is totally tubendicular, dude. Ride the wave.

6:41 – 6:50: Dreeeeeaaaamer … you know you are a dreeeeeaaaaamer ... Sorry, couldn't help it.

Yes you could, but I'm glad you didn't.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:46:57 PM by Podaar »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #532 on: September 14, 2018, 04:37:48 PM »

Never before has any voice uttered the words of that tongue here in DTF!  >:(

And let us hope that none will ever speak it again. Nonetheless I do not ask your pardon, Master Podaar. For if that tongue is not soon to be heard in every corner of the Web, then let all put doubt aside that this thread is indeed what the Admin has declared: the treasure of the Banned, fraught with all his malice; and in it lies a great part of his strenght.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: September 18, 2018, 07:50:01 AM »
Finally caught up. Wonderful additions, my friend.

Also lovely little post by Bosk in there too.  :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #534 on: September 18, 2018, 08:04:46 AM »
Thank you man! Long time no see. Yup, Bosk's bonus track is the gem of the album.

I'm giving you guys a good chunk of time to catch up 'cause I love BTL so much that I just know I wont't stay under the polite 20 timestamps treshold.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #535 on: September 18, 2018, 08:46:13 AM »
3:51 – 4:12: I've said this a million times but I'll say it again. The day we will look back to this extraordinary career, we'll be blinded by musicianship, intricacies and overall musical beauty. Of course, we'll neglect to mention they have produced way more motherfocking killer riffs than we give'em credit for. By the way, A) Sometimes single string is better than chords, and it shows. B) That sabre duel cymbal thing Mighty Mike is doing deserves some kind of Nobel.

4:12 – 4:39: Dad's phone is off, otherwise I'd be talking about Mike's vulgar display of power until dawn and probably cutting myself out of my inheritance. Anyways, Jordan, what's that patch's name, Ghost'n'Goblins or Kadash?

4:39 – 5:14: That solo is practically unplayable. That solo is faster than anything I've ever heard coming from a guitar amp. That solo's tone melts your face even if your name is Destro. That solo requires a world class athlete's level of stamina. That solo is the first Petrucci's solo I'm not liking.

5:14 – 6:00: Well, Johnny P my boy, it seems you've found your crazy shredding match. Yet if I should decide who's the winner in this solo war, I'd say Johnny M and Mighty Mike, hoping it makes sense enough.

6:00 – 6:41: It does. This is the Voltron I've always dreamt of. Five perfect machines completely joined and cohordinated. You can't tell who's playing what anymore, just like you can't tell who's penetrating who anymore when you truly make love.

I agree with you about the riffs. But I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tell if I'm ever penetrated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #536 on: September 18, 2018, 08:53:23 AM »

1:07 – 1:33: 1) There's a post-debut/pre-90's Alice Cooper vibe here somewhere, just can't pinpoint it but I feel it. Tim, help?

Just so you know, I hear Alice Cooper in everything I listen to.

It actually makes me think of this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #537 on: September 18, 2018, 12:00:40 PM »

1:07 – 1:33: 1) There's a post-debut/pre-90's Alice Cooper vibe here somewhere, just can't pinpoint it but I feel it. Tim, help?

I hear you. It happens to me with The Beatles.

It actually makes me think of this.

Bingo

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #538 on: September 18, 2018, 12:37:18 PM »

I hear you. It happens to me with The Beatles.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: September 21, 2018, 09:21:38 AM »
Did Indiscipline Greyhim fall into shadow with the Balrog?

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #540 on: September 21, 2018, 09:27:15 AM »
A 30 timestamps monster will be on around my dinner time, Podaar the White.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #541 on: September 21, 2018, 09:29:13 AM »
I would think it would be more like him to have stayed to dally with some elf maidens.  (or possibly even orc maidens, for that matter)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #542 on: September 21, 2018, 09:33:17 AM »
Orc maidens can be surprisingly romantic and cozy.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: September 21, 2018, 09:35:36 AM »
Minus the oozing pustules, of course. Oh, and isn't "orc maiden" strictly an oxymoron?

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #544 on: September 21, 2018, 09:43:17 AM »
Never had the nerve to ask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #545 on: September 21, 2018, 02:21:22 PM »
WHAT are we talking about??

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #546 on: September 21, 2018, 04:24:03 PM »
Geez... Let's move on to the next excerpt, prašau

Before we unleash something that should never have left the rule34 shadowy area of internet :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #547 on: September 21, 2018, 05:17:32 PM »
A 30 timestamps monster will be on around my dinner time, Podaar the White.

Unless dinner goes the funny way, of course

WHAT are we talking about??

The Lennon - Alice pic!

That pic is gold. My rock dream #587 would be Alice Cooper covering How Do You Sleep by John Winston Lennon; #588, of course, being John Winston Lennon covering Only Women Bleed. Please, people, take a minute to step away from your laptop and consider the implications. You might need Kleenex and privacy. I know I do.

Done? Good. Let's go.

06 – Beyond this Life:

Now it's time to see how you died, but remember that Death is not the end, but just a potentially enjoyable over-technical and daresay proggy metal band from Florida held back by hilarious orc vocals

Or only a transition, okay.

0:00 – 0:20: Holy focking hardcore thrash, Batman! I always wondered what does it take to have a bonafide mosh pit during a DT show. Wondering no more, dear Victoria. I'm ready to clothesline a fellow fan in 5/4.

0:20 – 0:31: They got it! How to be respectfully heavy, interestingly elaborate WITHOUT focking with frequencies competition. Incidentally, the two band they continously cite as main influences were among the best of the best in the frequencies democratic distribution business: Yes and Rush.

0:31 – 0:45: Naturally Jordan and that invasive medium range patch had to go and prove the previous paragraph wrong. DT focking with me, instance #294.

0:45 – 1:12: Headline: Murder, every other drummer on the planet killed.

1:12 – 1:26: Nasal James is back juuuuuust to make worry for a bit. Nah, he's acting the headline buzz on the streets, I'm convinced.

1:26 – 1:37: Hearing this a second time, memories of Voices riffage all around.

Of course, you dumbfock. Who do you think shot poor dear Shirley down?

1:37 – 2:04: “Dad?”

“Deny, always deny everything! Refuse DNA tests and leave my surname out of it!”

“No, this ain't that call. Just listen to this:”

“............ *cigar toke* …..........”

“So?”

“Again”

“.............*loud moan*.............”

“Well?”

“That's illegal”

2:04 – 2:25: I love Big James with a fierce passion, but I must admit not even Vince Neil could sound more of a pussy enunciating “poor young girl”. Nah, he's acting the gossipy spinsters commenting the news, I'm convinced.

I mean, could this be more transparent? Old Moses/Awake murdered Images and Words/Shirley, then proceeded to kill himself by falling into infinity. Or at least that's what some “witness” wants us to believe.

2:25 – 2:58: Eerie bit, but happily back to The Mirror's wise musical landscape architecture. There's a tension between a raw past (acoustic guitar, shaker) and a refined present (cold bass, elaborate synths). Right smack in the middle, a voice from the otherworld. This is progressive music in the truest meaning of the word.

Shirley is trying to tell us something here, Kevolas. There's a deed which has travelled far. It began with a guy Branded with Fire, crossed a heart on Fire, manifested itself with a guy Firing himself, and exploded with a shameful attempt to become a Brand. Who did it? Whos's the Firebrand in the band?

2:58 – 3:12: Great moment of mischievious peace. It's like the guy quitely descending the stairs to the basement in every horror flick. Why the fock does he always have to go check the basement? Run away, you moron. Don't you ever go to the movies?

Hey buddie, I thought inane deranged tangents were MY deal here.

3:12 – 3:25: And the monster in the basement shrieked. What the hell, Johnny P, was it that the time and place for a spotless Kerry King impression? (I know, I already worked that reference, but what else am I going to call that? A flock of Nazguls crying in their death throes?)

3:25 – 3:45: Nothing in this world will never dissuade me from firmly believing they put  the “wayward man” line as a way to say: “Look, we're quoting Kansas. Prepare for a trove of musical influences as a device to convey the reincarnation theme.” Thank you guys for doing my job for me.

So, Shirley wanted to sound like I&W forever, but Old Moses had another plan. He fell into evil Emo Metal ways. What a wayward dirty old motherfocker.

3:45 – 4:01: Big James carries the Curse of Michael Kiske. He's the perfect singer for his metal genre (prog J, power M) timbrewise and rangewise, but he lacks the epic storytelling attitude and the sexy beast vocabulary. He sings straight from the heart, without the manipulative filters we tend to expect in rock tradition. For this fan, there lies his beauty and strenght. Said that, the “Ooooooh Yeaaaaaahhhhh” is the wonderfully closer JLB will ever get to a manufactured sexy beast rock yell. Out of left field like Meek Jesus losing his shit in the temple turned market. Yes, I've just compared Kevin James LaBrie to Jesus.

4:01 – 4:24: And the quotefest goes on. Since it's openly declared, I'm sparing you my “couldn't help it” bit. Metallica – Damage Inc.

They found a switchblade? Was someone Raising the Knife?

4:24 – 4:50: I only have one maddening question here. What kind of unsufferable bitch must Lucy Liu be if you'd sooner take your life away than live with her?

4:50 – 5:55: Here is where a quite significative DT composing trend begins. When shit hits the fan, emotionally and/or narratively, they go ¾ or 6/8. I think Jordan and his classical background brought that to the table. Do me a favour, check every tertiary moment from SFAM on and tell me they're not marking pivotal lyrical/narrative/emotive moments. You will never actually do me that favour, so you gotta trust me on that. Ha.

5:55 – 6:09: Our deeds travel from past to present, or from left to right ear.

6:09 – 6:25: For a girl men would kill. Why? They do not know...

6:25 – 7:10: Victoria, it's a hit. Don't give me that do goody good bullshit.

7:10 – 8:16: Comin' out of nowhere, drivin' like rain, Nicholas dance on the thunder again ...

8:16 – 8:46: Ok, I was focking with reference on the previous three paragraphs, neglecting to point out the not so subtle challenge between Johnny P and Jordan. The dynamic is changing forever, for the first time we have THREE world class soloists. Let's see how the team reacts.

8:46 – 9:06: Well, I must say Jordan is winning here. Unless he recorded this solo over a different track later discarded but featuring HIS time signature, there's no way a regular human brain can accomplish what I've just heard. Not even Keith Jarrett's.

9:06 – 9:25: How do you like them peaches, Victoria? En Regalia?

9:25 – 9:43: I don't have a reference here. But I do have the everlasting proof Dream Theater can and will focking old school salt of the earth rock when they feel like it.

9:43 – 10:05: An unison speeding on a tightrope suspended over a bottomless pit. Two of the three above mentioned world class soloists have resolved competition with collaboration. Lots of “two bits” for the third one. On a sidenote, I'm picturing Johnny P out of his skull with happiness and possibilities now that he found Jordan. Kinda like Kareem meeting Magic at training camp for the first time. 

10:05 – 10:34: Welcome back, James. Could this be your longest time out yet?

10:34 – 11:03: Naturally, you crown a heavy prog masterpiece full of homages to past genius with the catchiest chorus in your career eleven minutes in. Treasure your Dream Theater, comrades. A lifetime won't be enough to exhaust all the musical content they've given us, and nobody can boast the same feat.

11:03 – 11:22: Little Victoria, it's been a cold cold lonely winter ...

That's it, and sorry again for the delay. Please allow me some parental pride, my friends. This is the step-daughter's birthday week-end, the 21st (goddammit I'm old) and guess what she asked me as a present?

Not a titjob, not a pink convertible, not some silly vapid capitalist cunt thing.

She asked for a trip to a local natural park known for letting visitors freely feed the otters.

She may not be my blood, but she's sure as fock my heart.

Coming Next: 07 - Through Her Eyes

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #548 on: September 24, 2018, 06:42:46 AM »
Sorry for the double post, I guess.

Man, what a great trip. I fed the wolves, the wife fed an ocelot, step-daughter fed the otters (her lifelong dream until she discovered the critters eat duck chicks, starting from the heads Ozzy-style) and her boyfriend fed the bucks because he's a pussy.

I know, I should talk about my past, not my present, but this particular album clearly requires time rules to be suspended and warped. Back to it, then.

07 – Through Her Eyes

This is Nicholas pouring his feelings out about his alleged past life. The tune has its musical moments worth recapping, but I feel I'm better having my italics counterpart take centre stage this time. He's got a theory this song is Kev listening to I&W and deciding to quit the band right after tracking Awake. Yeah, my dark twin is crazy, but he knows better than putting his crackpot opinions outside this thread.

If you're offended by surreal gratuitous parody, you may want to skip the italics text. Then again, if you're offended by surreal gratuitous parody, you've probably left the premises loooooong ago.

She never really had a chance
On that fateful post-grunge scene
Sacrificed without a fight
A victim of big dollars spleen

Now that she's become Awake
And I`ve disowned this travesty
A sadness grows inside of me
It all seems so unfair

I`m learning all about my strife
By watching Shilrely die

Just before the mixing stage
Where the drums are overblown
I saw the writing on the wall
I felt like I would suffocate

In loving memory of our child
Who got a genre open wide
I felt so empty as I cried
Like part of me had died

And as her image(s and words)
Wandered through my head
I wept just like a baby
As I heard Awake in bed

And I know what it`s like
To lose the gig you love
And this felt just the same

She wasn`t given any choice
Lie and Mirror stole her voice
I`ve been given just a solo song
That everybody's getting wrong

I had to suffer one last time
To grieve for her and say goodbye
Relieve the anguish of my past
An angel dressed in Space-Dye Vest

I won't be opened wide
Can't stand this change of style
Looking through wet eyes

0:00 – 1:05: A gorgeously voiced lady is Gigging in the Sky while Johnny P is Living in Pompei.

1:05 – 1:39: I guess Mike had to go to the bathroom. But I don't dislike the idea, in fact I want everything stripped bare in order to fully enjoy Johnny M's fretless elegance.

1:39 – 2:22: 90% of rock-metal singers would egregiously mail this piece in. James has just given us 43 different vocal nuances by my count. There is no possible believable concept album populated by characters without a singer of this caliber.

2:22 – 2:38: That guitar spot is a terrible trap. There's 99% chance to put in the wrong lick/tone/dynamic and screw everything up. Of course, Johnny P nails the 1%.

2:38 – 3:20: These lyrics are a terrible trap. There's 99% chance to put in the wrong breath/tone/dynamic and sound silly and over-dramatic. Of course, Big James nails the 1%.

3:20 – 3:54: This bit strongly reminds me of Elton John's Candle in the Wind chorus. I like to think it was planned. A song about a dead woman, recycled for a second dead woman, quoted for a third one.

3:54 – 4:40: “I've been” and “Suffer one last time” are reasons 633 and 634 I love Kevin James LaBrie, and I don't know what to tell you if you can't see why.

4:40 – 5:26: Ok, James, you've sung this song so brilliantly that I'm more than willing to allow you a severe case of BonoVoxitis.

Coming Next: 08 – Home, aka crying over not trimmed fat

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: September 24, 2018, 08:54:47 AM »
I didn't really need to listen along to get a lot of your references, but it's more fun when I do. Ironically, weekends are the worst time for me to be able to do so. I had to wait until I got to the office this morning to listen along.

Now it's time to see how you died, but remember that Death is not the end, but just a potentially enjoyable over-technical and daresay proggy metal band from Florida held back by hilarious orc vocals.

:clap:

0:00 – 0:20:I'm ready to clothesline a fellow fan in 5/4.

:lol

1:37 – 2:04: “Dad?”

“Deny, always deny everything! Refuse DNA tests and leave my surname out of it!”

“No, this ain't that call. Just listen to this:”

I had this exact conversation with my son.

3:12 – 3:25: And the monster in the basement shrieked. What the hell, Johnny P, was it that the time and place for a spotless Kerry King impression? (I know, I already worked that reference, but what else am I going to call that? A flock of Nazguls crying in their death throes?)

That would be preferable to accusing JP of doing anything like Kerry King. Plus, I'm pretty sure that King couldn't do what JP did there if his life depended on it and he had a decade to accomplish it.

6:09 – 6:25: For a girl men would kill. Why? They do not know...

6:25 – 7:10: Victoria, it's a hit. Don't give me that do goody good bullshit.

7:10 – 8:16: Comin' out of nowhere, drivin' like rain, Nicholas dance on the thunder again ...

Okay, I'll give you these three...especially the last one.

8:46 – 9:06: Well, I must say Jordan is winning here. Unless he recorded this solo over a different track later discarded but featuring HIS time signature, there's no way a regular human brain can accomplish what I've just heard. Not even Keith Jarrett's.

Nice! This is one of my favorite examples of what Jordan brought to the band. I wish he did more of these kinds of solo spots, really. Plus it perfectly foreshadowed...

9:06 – 9:25: How do you like them peaches, Victoria? En Regalia?

No shit!  :lol

11:03 – 11:22: Little Victoria, it's been a cold cold lonely winter ...

:umno:

That was a fun installment, and one of my favorites tunes from this record!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #550 on: September 24, 2018, 09:40:00 AM »
I must admit Here Comes the Sun was a lazy lazy stretch.

Tell you what, I'm so fond of the Podaar Quality Control that I'm actively trying to keep instalments between monday and friday.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: September 25, 2018, 07:02:42 AM »
This thread is starting to turn into a coffee klatch between just the two of us. Which makes me feel a little dirty, since there are quite a number of people still reading it. Voyeurs!!

Anyway, about Through Her Eyes. This has always been one of my favorite DT moments, like, ever. I love everything about it, the fretless glory, the perfect guitar tone, everything geared toward providing a showcase for James, and then he steps up and nails it like nothing before or since, IMO.

3:54 – 4:40: “I've been” and “Suffer one last time” are reasons 633 and 634 I love Kevin James LaBrie, and I don't know what to tell you if you can't see why.

Oh, I see why!  "...and this felt, just the same" is another reason to love him. Great, great, song and I think it stands on its own quite well.

For years, I was a DT fan in a vacuum, kinda. I'd fallen out with the one friend who was also a fan around the time of this album. My eldest son liked them but I think it was more about him wanting to be like me, than actually loving the music. The point being that up until I found Portnoy's forum just prior to Systematic Chaos there was no one to challenge my views on anything DT.

Then I found out how many people (who presumably are rabid SFAM fans) hate this song!  :lol  Maybe hate is a strong word, but I've read loads of comments about how this is the one song people would cut from the album or at least automatically skip. I'm still completely baffled by that.

I'm glad you like it! If your Dad ends up disowning you, let me know. I'll adopt you.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:40:00 AM by Podaar »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #552 on: September 25, 2018, 07:33:14 AM »
You dawg. You got the hots for me mom, that's what you got.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: September 25, 2018, 07:40:26 AM »
Yes, well, there is that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #554 on: September 25, 2018, 09:02:40 AM »
You know, once you get used to it, the thread really isn't all that weird.  ...until this last little exchange between you two.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #555 on: September 25, 2018, 12:29:44 PM »
I'm really excited for when you hit Black Clouds and the Astonishing

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: September 25, 2018, 12:31:48 PM »
I should live so long...

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #557 on: September 25, 2018, 03:20:36 PM »
I'm really excited for when you hit Black Clouds and the Astonishing

Me too. 2034 is gonna be a great year for this thread.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #558 on: September 25, 2018, 03:27:22 PM »
:lol  I've never clotheslined someone in 5/4, but I get it would be pretty rad.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #559 on: September 25, 2018, 03:30:45 PM »
Gotta catch up on this.